Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Vaping something silly would be a better stereotype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Vaping a milk and cream juice to accompany your artisinal cereal really opens the pallette and expresses the nuanced and full bodied flavors of the cereal while accentuating the juice nicely. You should really look to pair it with a 2016 or 2017 vintage.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Also, make fun of "artisanal" stuff all you like, but the cool kid donut shop I went to the other week was delicious, gently caress the haters :colbert: Blueberry-basil ftw.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The thing is 'artisanal' is a completely meaningless buzzword. It could mean 'higher quality', or it could mean 'we want to project an image of being higher quality so we can charge more', or it could mean 'it's the exact same thing as before but everyone else is claiming they're artisanal so we are too'.

It's kind of like how some frozen dinners are suddenly talking about the master in-house chefs that helped to create your latest pile of microwaveable calories.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My other half bought a bottle of water because it said artesian on the bottle and she read it wrong.

The reason I know that is because I made a joke about putting artesian on the bottle to confuse people who don't know what it means and think it says "artisan".

She was not best amused.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 9, 2017

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Oh, for sure. I'd probably have trouble saying the word with a straight face without feeling like an rear end, but I'd definitely say it applies to goat cheese from the stand at the farmers market that sometimes brings along baby goats for people to pet (:kimchi:) more than it does to Kraft Artisanal Goat Cheese Spread or whatever. Though I suppose the goats are probably doing most of the work either way, when it comes down to it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Artisanal Ice Cream is my favorite, because it usually means heavy cream and a bunch of weird-rear end flavor pairs, like Meyer Lemon-Lilac, Rhubard-Boysenberry, Salted Caramel Peanut Butter or Gluten-Free Churro Pumpkin Spice.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Crow Jane posted:

Also, make fun of "artisanal" stuff all you like, but the cool kid donut shop I went to the other week was delicious, gently caress the haters :colbert: Blueberry-basil ftw.

Why would anyone hate putting effort into your craft or trying unique new flavors? Why do you have to defend yourself for going to a donut shop? :psyduck:

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I'd remark that the last time there was a significant change in the tax code of most states was probably pre point of sale system. We are coasting along on a previous generations vision of the world, minus the adjustments made by corporatations hands on the rudder.

It is 100% possible and a good idea to include tax on prices if only to help push away from the narrative of government being in the wrong to tax a product.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

RuanGacho posted:

I'd remark that the last time there was a significant change in the tax code of most states was probably pre point of sale system. We are coasting along on a previous generations vision of the world, minus the adjustments made by corporations hands on the rudder.

It is 100% possible and a good idea to include tax on prices if only to help push away from the narrative of government being in the wrong to tax a product.

Er what? No, tax rates and categories covered has changed many many times across the country just in the past 10 years let alone since computerized cash registers caught on. There's no laws stopping you from including tax in the price in the vast majority of jurisdictions, the reason it's not done is because of the hassle of advertising the prices for anyone doing business in more than one location, and for those who do do business in just one place, or multiple places with the same tax rates and categories, being the guy who advertises his widgets at $10.50 instead of chain-store-next-door's $10.00 is going to just plain make him look pricier.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

fishmech posted:

Er what? No, tax rates and categories covered has changed many many times across the country just in the past 10 years let alone since computerized cash registers caught on. There's no laws stopping you from including tax in the price in the vast majority of jurisdictions, the reason it's not done is because of the hassle of advertising the prices for anyone doing business in more than one location, and for those who do do business in just one place, or multiple places with the same tax rates and categories, being the guy who advertises his widgets at $10.50 instead of chain-store-next-door's $10.00 is going to just plain make him look pricier.

I was hoping you were around.

When I said significantly I was trying to imply the general tax structures of states in general, like ones that have sales tax in general versus ones that don't. As far as I can recall there hasn't been a whole lot of experimentation with this on a macro scale for at least 30 years but if you know of some evidence to the contrary Id love to be pointed to it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The idea of not including taxes in your prices is frankly bizzare to me, what is on the price tag should be what you pay for it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

the black husserl posted:

Why would anyone hate putting effort into your craft or trying unique new flavors? Why do you have to defend yourself for going to a donut shop? :psyduck:

I think most of the hate is when places like that act like they invented the idea of hand-making baked goods, like it's some sort of wondrous discovery.

It really depends on the establishment and the attitude they put across.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

10% price markup per adjective.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

OwlFancier posted:

The idea of not including taxes in your prices is frankly bizzare to me, what is on the price tag should be what you pay for it.

But then people won't know how much the GOVERNMENT is STEALING from you and won't be angry enough to constantly vote for anti-tax politicians and vote no on critical tax increases.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

the black husserl posted:

Eh, how many articles have there been mocking millennials for eating or not eating this or that? I'm sure there's someone out there who thinks if you eat anything other than gas station donuts you're getting too big for your britches

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

But then people won't know how much the GOVERNMENT is STEALING from you and won't be angry enough to constantly vote for anti-tax politicians and vote no on critical tax increases.

Seconding this. When SF started requiring the restaurant industry to provide health care for employees, owners responded by adding an explicit surcharge for this on every bill.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am beginning to see the appeal of being a tankie.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

OwlFancier posted:

10% price markup per adjective.
Crispy seasoned oven-baked home-style artisanal dishes.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

RuanGacho posted:

I was hoping you were around.

When I said significantly I was trying to imply the general tax structures of states in general, like ones that have sales tax in general versus ones that don't. As far as I can recall there hasn't been a whole lot of experimentation with this on a macro scale for at least 30 years but if you know of some evidence to the contrary Id love to be pointed to it.

Well why would that have changed much? The last state to introduce a sales tax was Vermont in 1969 (with 34 states having adopted it already by 1959), and the last state to repeal a modern sales tax is none of them. You can pass sales tax increases a hell of a lot easier than you can pass income tax increases. And abandoning the sales tax systems already in place would mean directly giving up sometimes billions in revenue with the need to make it up from elsewhere. Plus the remaining 5 states without sales tax do tend to get adding one proposed fairly often, but such proposals have been repeatedly defeated.

The last state to seriously consider a proposal to abandon all general sales tax was Rhode Island in 2013, and that ended up not passing. Estimates were that it could mean a loss of government revenue anywhere between $250 million to $800 million per year for the first few years, with the variance being on the basis of how much increase in business and personal income tax collection would be generated from increased business as Connecticut and Massachusetts residents hopped the borders to shop in the new 0 sales tax Rhode Island.

I'd imagine the closest thing to want you want is the various ways Canada (another country where the taxes aren't usually included on the pricetags for that matter...) has had taxes changed in multiple provinces to align up, and with an actual federal level sales tax that must always be dealt with too? And how what is it, half the provinces have had things changed to be entirely VAT-based in the rates from what used to be a system entirely of the typical sales tax type.

OwlFancier posted:

But they are included on a lot of things, or just don't apply. Cigarettes and gasoline and alcoholic drinks (well at least in most places, I think there might be some places where they only include some of the taxes on the tag) are the biggest ones - but then those are also products that nobody advertises prices for besides on a direct store level.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 9, 2017

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

fishmech posted:

Well why would that have changed much? The last state to introduce a sales tax was Vermont in 1969 (with 34 states having adopted it already by 1959), and the last state to repeal a modern sales tax is none of them. You can pass sales tax increases a hell of a lot easier than you can pass income tax increases. And abandoning the sales tax systems already in place would mean directly giving up sometimes billions in revenue with the need to make it up from elsewhere. Plus the remaining 5 states without sales tax do tend to get adding one proposed fairly often, but such proposals have been repeatedly defeated.

The last state to seriously consider a proposal to abandon all general sales tax was Rhode Island in 2013, and that ended up not passing. Estimates were that it could mean a loss of government revenue anywhere between $250 million to $800 million per year for the first few years, with the variance being on the basis of how much increase in business and personal income tax collection would be generated from increased business as Connecticut and Massachusetts residents hopped the borders to shop in the new 0 sales tax Rhode Island.

I'd imagine the closest thing to want you want is the various ways Canada (another country where the taxes aren't usually included on the pricetags for that matter...) has had taxes changed in multiple provinces to align up, and with an actual federal level sales tax that must always be dealt with too? And how what is it, half the provinces have had things changed to be entirely VAT-based in the rates from what used to be a system entirely of the typical sales tax type.

But they are included on a lot of things, or just don't apply. Cigarettes and gasoline and alcoholic drinks (well at least in most places, I think there might be some places where they only include some of the taxes on the tag) are the biggest ones - but then those are also products that nobody advertises prices for besides on a direct store level.

Im not sure what i actually want in the long run but this does help to think about it, so thanks.

I guess my initial thought is after for many years decrying VAT I've come around to see it as a possibility but I don't know enough about it to say what form id like it to take, only that I seem to see a much healthier stream of government revenue in countries that seem to have it than dont.

Tying this back into the subject matter of the thread, I see a lot of people talking about wanting to develop commercial assets in a city but they seem to be more like wish lists instead of plans on how to accomplish them. Cities that have no infrastructure are going to have worse daytime populations and thus worse retail.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I feel like there are a bunch of different conversations around "sales tax" but to provide a few more reasons why most places don't include sales tax in the cost of their products in the US:

Especially in places with non-rounded tax rates (ours went up to 8.875% from 8.375% awhile back) your choices are to either make all of your prices $5.44 or $8.71 or $14.14 or just sell the things at $5/$8/$13 and eat 8.875% of the sale, which given that we're a small storefront for a non-profit makes no sense, and for most local businesses would be a significant hit; we're only marking things up 50% (from $4 wholesale to $8 retail) so eating the sales tax would be close to 20% of the money we actually make selling anything.

Even if you did the ugly-rear end "Now On Sale, Two for $21.78!" sales fix so your customers can know exactly what they're going to pay for things, unless there's an enforcement mechanism all that's going to do is make your products seem ~10% more expensive than anyone not including sales tax into their products. This is doubly true for selling things online, though so far (most) states don't put the onus on the seller until their online sales footprint is over a certain (pretty huge compared to us) footprint, but for someone larger but not Amazon/Walmart/Target sized that could be/might be an issue already, and I suppose it's not that hard if you're a good sized business to just set up a code to show that your book will be $15 in these states, $15.75 in others, $16.14 in others, $17.02 in yet others, I don't know if that would really help consumers or be the sort of thing that tanks a small company because LOOK AT THEM OVERCHARGING HARDWORKING TEXANS, IT'S PROBABLY BECAUSE THEY HATE TRUMP or something goes viral.

Also in general a lot of these sort of 'consumer protection' regulations are counter-intuitively supported by big businesses because the amount of time it takes (for instance) McDonald's or Target to work out their compliance to these rules can be handled by a tiny fraction of their workforce in their central office, but would probably eat up days or weeks for our staff of 1 1/2 people.

I would personally love to see sales tax get wiped away because it's regressive but for the time being, people having to do the math for themselves in the status quo is probably as good as it'll get. It's like how I used to (and still do) resent tipping being factored into the price of all food service, but I still tip ~20% because it is what it is and I don't want to gently caress over the people who didn't make the rules.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Sales tax is actual one of my wheelhouses, so if there's any questions about it, ask away. :v:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Horseshoe theory posted:

Sales tax is actual one of my wheelhouses, so if there's any questions about it, ask away. :v:

Why are so many poor americans duped into supporting regressive taxes that make them pay more to support the mooching millionares?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

just mentally add 10% to the price its not that hard gently caress

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

got any sevens posted:

Why are so many poor americans duped into supporting regressive taxes that make them pay more to support the mooching millionares?

"Bootstraps."

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Edge & Christian posted:

I feel like there are a bunch of different conversations around "sales tax" but to provide a few more reasons why most places don't include sales tax in the cost of their products in the US:

Especially in places with non-rounded tax rates (ours went up to 8.875% from 8.375% awhile back) your choices are to either make all of your prices $5.44 or $8.71 or $14.14 or just sell the things at $5/$8/$13 and eat 8.875% of the sale, which given that we're a small storefront for a non-profit makes no sense, and for most local businesses would be a significant hit; we're only marking things up 50% (from $4 wholesale to $8 retail) so eating the sales tax would be close to 20% of the money we actually make selling anything.

Even if you did the ugly-rear end "Now On Sale, Two for $21.78!" sales fix so your customers can know exactly what they're going to pay for things, unless there's an enforcement mechanism all that's going to do is make your products seem ~10% more expensive than anyone not including sales tax into their products. This is doubly true for selling things online, though so far (most) states don't put the onus on the seller until their online sales footprint is over a certain (pretty huge compared to us) footprint, but for someone larger but not Amazon/Walmart/Target sized that could be/might be an issue already, and I suppose it's not that hard if you're a good sized business to just set up a code to show that your book will be $15 in these states, $15.75 in others, $16.14 in others, $17.02 in yet others, I don't know if that would really help consumers or be the sort of thing that tanks a small company because LOOK AT THEM OVERCHARGING HARDWORKING TEXANS, IT'S PROBABLY BECAUSE THEY HATE TRUMP or something goes viral.

Also in general a lot of these sort of 'consumer protection' regulations are counter-intuitively supported by big businesses because the amount of time it takes (for instance) McDonald's or Target to work out their compliance to these rules can be handled by a tiny fraction of their workforce in their central office, but would probably eat up days or weeks for our staff of 1 1/2 people.

I would personally love to see sales tax get wiped away because it's regressive but for the time being, people having to do the math for themselves in the status quo is probably as good as it'll get. It's like how I used to (and still do) resent tipping being factored into the price of all food service, but I still tip ~20% because it is what it is and I don't want to gently caress over the people who didn't make the rules.

I don't understand this because it doesn't change the prices or the margins, it's just transparency that changes. If it were law, and it would have to be because otherwise nobody would bother, then it wouldn't force anyone to change their margins or pricing structure, it would simply let you know to the penny your out of pocket cost for item X, Y or Z. The only thing that might change is that if I sell item X for $9.99 and my competitor has to sell it for $11.99, having full cost transparency does make the price difference look slightly more daunting. Nevertheless, it's still just being more direct. If the sales tax is 8.875 in my locality, I'm still going to pay $10.88 in the former case and $13.05 in the latter. The only change is the honesty.

I'm not saying you are in error here as you almost certainly more knowledgeable than I on this subject, I just don't see the point that you are trying to make.

Whenever I think of the many horrors of capitalism, I am always reminded of that Christian/Theist proverb: The devil's greatest trick was convincing the world he didn't exist. I don't believe in the devil or hell (Jew), but I am constantly amazed how well the capitalist class has done in convincing people that the government is the bad guy. Among everything else they have done to constantly take and take, they have turned their victims against the only entity that could possibly protect them. It's like being in a sword fight where one bloke has a claymore and the other a butter knife, and the guy with the big sword convinces the butter knife chap that he needs to drop his weapon because it might turn into a snake and bite him.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

JustJeff88 posted:

I don't understand this because it doesn't change the prices or the margins, it's just transparency that changes. If it were law, and it would have to be because otherwise nobody would bother, then it wouldn't force anyone to change their margins or pricing structure, it would simply let you know to the penny your out of pocket cost for item X, Y or Z. The only thing that might change is that if I sell item X for $9.99 and my competitor has to sell it for $11.99, having full cost transparency does make the price difference look slightly more daunting. Nevertheless, it's still just being more direct. If the sales tax is 8.875 in my locality, I'm still going to pay $10.88 in the former case and $13.05 in the latter. The only change is the honesty.

I'm not saying you are in error here as you almost certainly more knowledgeable than I on this subject, I just don't see the point that you are trying to make.

That's not the only change. As people have pointed out several times now, tax-inclusive prices would mean having to produce dozens, hundreds, or even thousands of different ads to reflect local tax rates, would make it harder to do catchy deals like "5 for $5" and if it wasn't mandatory for everyone your store would just look more expensive than the others. You can't just have a flat tax-inclusive price and take in different net sales depending on tax rate because that's illegal. You may not like the reasons but there they are.

Is it really so hard to just know your local tax rate and add it in your head? I know kids often have a jolt of surprise when they spend their own money for the first time, but how young could you possibly be?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

JustJeff88 posted:

I don't understand this because it doesn't change the prices or the margins, it's just transparency that changes. If it were law, and it would have to be because otherwise nobody would bother, then it wouldn't force anyone to change their margins or pricing structure, it would simply let you know to the penny your out of pocket cost for item X, Y or Z.

How are you going to advertise the 200 valid and distinct prices for your national release product like a Samsung Galaxy S 9 or iPhone 8? What part of there being a massive number of different tax jurisidictions is so hard to get here? Especially consider that unlike older days where your product might only be available for purchase at retail, and could avoid a good deal of the jurisdictions simply by not being for sale there, with the modern internet people need to pay their specific local rates on the major ordering sites. (And for that matter, shouldn't internet prices then require advertising with shipping included? But that'll vary itself...)

A $500 device say, will cost $500 in the 5 states with 0 sales tax, and up to $567.5 in certain cities in Alabama (where the state sales tax is 4%, but cities currently assess up 9.5% in extra local tax). Even if you seek to advertise in just one metro area, you can easily exceed 10 different sales tax rates just within 15 miles of Center City Philadelphia, for instance.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Sep 10, 2017

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Baronjutter posted:

I get poo poo like "small" or "size 4" being pretty subjective, but an actual measurement in inches should maybe actually be that measurement in inches. It would be like ordering a "foot long" sub and getting something 11"

Not really possible for industrial scale clothing production. Pieces get cut in huge stacks and lower layers are usually a little larger than upper ones. That's doesn't account for vanity sizing, but it's why you can buy two pairs of the same pants and have them fit differently.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fishmech posted:

How are you going to advertise the 200 valid and distinct prices for your national release product like a Samsung Galaxy S 9 or iPhone 8? What part of there being a massive number of different tax jurisidictions is so hard to get here?

A $500 device say, will cost $500 in the 5 states with 0 sales tax, and up to $567.5 in certain cities in Alabama (where the state sales tax is 4%, but cities currently assess up 9.5% in extra local tax). Even if you seek to advertise in just one metro area, you can easily exceed 10 different sales tax rates just within 15 miles of Center City Philadelphia, for instance.

200? Try 9600

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Yeah but a lot would probably compute out to the same price in the end for a given object, so going with a more conservative figure.

You experience the full force of the 10,000 total tax codes if you start wanting to like, stock a whole typical supermarket, or department store.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Sep 10, 2017

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

there wolf posted:

Not really possible for industrial scale clothing production. Pieces get cut in huge stacks and lower layers are usually a little larger than upper ones. That's doesn't account for vanity sizing, but it's why you can buy two pairs of the same pants and have them fit differently.

That is true, but the difference is fairly small and sizes aren't that granular. I actually researched this for a school project way back in the day and the biggest variance I found was half an inch. Your clothes could easily vary that much just by stretching in wearing/shrinking in the wash anyway. I'm on team actual-measurements.

Of course with women's clothing it STILL wouldn't be a solution, because bottoms are sold by waist size but usually fit at the hips, and the structure of tops can be so bizarre that a bust measurement won't tell you anything interesting, and that's before we even get into clothes that are cut to be intentionally loose and flowy.

I'm wearing togas, who's with me :negative:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Honestly that sounds like the kind of thing that online ordering + better automation should be capable of fixing. Why is typing in your measurements into a website to get clothes custom made by a robot not more popular?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cicero posted:

Honestly that sounds like the kind of thing that online ordering + better automation should be capable of fixing. Why is typing in your measurements into a website to get clothes custom made by a robot not more popular?

Cuz that's going to be loving expensive clothing? Also a lot of people might not understand how to do their measurements correctly, and that's a really annoying situation for customer support to work through.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Speaking as someone who works in robotics, among other things, robots with the level of precision and handling required to say, stitch a shirt together are still extremely expensive and prohibitively complex to set up for a given pattern.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

JustJeff88 posted:

Sorry, those were two separate thoughts.

If there were a law to include sales tax into the marked price, then yeah, everyone would have to have the price as marked. That would cause headaches for retailers in multiple tax zones, but it would be a burden shared across the board.

The margin thing I was talking about comes up for us when we do pop-up sales at events (our own or ones where we're given a table), people are way more likely to buy a book or badge or shirt or whatever if it's some even number, because they can just hand us a dollar or a twenty or whatever. We also don't want to bring a whole cashbox to them, so we go ahead and eat the tax there (and I set up site-specific discounts in our POS so we sell a $15 book for for $13.78 + tax so it comes out to $15.00 even in our records so nothing looks weird in our records when we get audited annually, which is a thing non-profits get so we don't get our non-profit status revoked). We consider that the 'cost of doing business' because we're going out into the community and it's promotion for our organization beyond the pure earned income, but if we extended that to every day business and sold our stuff for [even amount, tax included] it would hurt us.

And yeah, we could easily include the tax on all of our price tags and shelf tags, basically no one else in the city (or the state, or to my knowledge in the United States) does it. I'm sure a few people would think it was great that we were being fully transparent, but if you're the only place in town being fully transparent I would guess that there would be more people annoyed at our 'higher prices' than pleased by our honesty.

Maybe most importantly, I don't know where other people live, but outside of young children who come in with pocket change, I've never witnessed someone get confused or upset that their $5.00 book ends up costing them $5.44, and in the rare situation a kid is crestfallen that they have $X.00 even and want to buy something that's $X.00 plus tax I just cover it myself, which is an incredibly small luxury of being basically a sole proprietorship. When I worked at big box stores in high school and college and that happened you'd just sort of sit there awkwardly until either someone ponied up the extra change from their adults or someone behind them in line or you'd have to hope you didn't gently caress anything else up in your cash drawer because if you were +/- $5.00 for the day you could get written up.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I look forward to living in a world where I jeer have to leave the house for anything. Everything is delivered to me by a drone and I can screen all forms of human contact through OkCupid before arranging a meeting under a very strict set of parameters.

Full automated communism now!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Man having a sales tax implemented in the midst of the Great Depression must have sucked real bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Cicero posted:

Aside from what everyone else said, most people can find clothing good enough(especially once they've settled on a few brands they know and trust), so you'd have a pretty small market for custom-measured-robo-made clothes.

Star Man posted:

I look forward to living in a world where I jeer have to leave the house for anything. Everything is delivered to me by a drone and I can screen all forms of human contact through OkCupid before arranging a meeting under a very strict set of parameters.

Full automated communism now!
The hot new YA dystopian movie, coming out next summer:

There are two classes. The outsiders transport things between various insider enclaves. The insiders rule from the comfort of their computer desks. One plucky teenage girl realizes revolution is needed, and strikes where it hurts most: takeout delivery.