Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Sarsapariller posted:

Hey man, I enjoy your comedy stylings as much as anyone. But you've gotta stop pre-hyping these minor updates. Like, the day the payroll checks start bouncing, what are you going to post that could possibly grab attention? You haven't got anything left to escalate the rhetoric.

Don't you understand?!? A junior programmer left! This is HUGE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Like I knew the "big news" was going to be bullshit but I'm still shocked by just how bullshit it is

:laffo:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

These. loving Morons.

When you think about it, you see it all makes perfect sense how a scam artist ended up with $160M of other people's money.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/embargo

In my context, it means "restraint" :shrug:

Synonyms: ban, restriction, interdiction, postscription.

They should write to the media, Hollywood etc, who all apparently use "embargo" incorrectly (according to those rear end-clowns).

Hollywood:

Why Embargo Movie Critics' Reviews? | HuffPost

Gaming Media:

3 Reasons Why Video Game Review Embargoes Are Particularly Anti-Consumer

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 9, 2017

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Sarsapariller posted:

Hey man, I enjoy your comedy stylings as much as anyone. But you've gotta stop pre-hyping these minor updates. Like, the day the payroll checks start bouncing, what are you going to post that could possibly grab attention? You haven't got anything left to escalate the rhetoric.

You do realize you're basically asking Derek to not be a giant arrogant gassbag, right?

He'll never change.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Dogeh posted:

And how many companies would you need to create a computer game?

I'm not a game scientist but probably one.

Once I released my first commercial product depending on success I might expand my company to be able to do more work and stuff.

Achamp
Oct 19, 2005
The two hhhwhat.... The two yutes your honor

big nipples big life posted:

Like I knew the "big news" was going to be bullshit but I'm still shocked by just how bullshit it is

You seem really upset since you've basically reposted the same righteous indignation three times in the last two pages. Are you still in, and if so for how much?

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time
Cloud Imperium Rights Ltd is a wholly owned subsidiary of CIG UK LTD.

It is most likely going to house whatever IP they bought in 2015.

Reminder of the activity of CIG UK LTD. It appears to do three things:

1.) It bought Foundry 42 Ltd from Erin Roberts et al for £440k in 2014.
2.) It funnels cash from the US via its subsidiary (Roberts Space Industries Ltd). This cash then goes to its other subsidiary (Foundry 42 Ltd).
3.) It bought some kind of IP in 2015. It paid £1.36m for the IP. It sold IP for a profit of £655k in 2015. It showed a book value at year end for IP of £1.36m.

Whatever that IP activity was in the third point is probably being moved to the new subsidiary. It is possible they could sell this subsidiary or something. It's unclear just exactly what this IP was that they bought/sold in 2015 that maintained the full book value that they paid for it. It's possible they just love incorporating companies and Ortwin needed some busy work to justify writing an invoice for some legal fees.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

VictorianQueerLit posted:

I'm not a game scientist but probably one.

Once I released my first commercial product depending on success I might expand my company to be able to do more work and stuff.

But what if the product is only in your head?
Do you still need more companies?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

https://twitter.com/BNBL_Posts/status/906637976914071552

Achamp posted:

You seem really upset since you've basically reposted the same righteous indignation three times in the last two pages. Are you still in, and if so for how much?

lmbo

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Feels good to be getting out right at the moment where it causes the most annoyance.

Timing is everything. :)

E; It appears that their customer support is very busy with refund requests right now.

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 9, 2017

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

hosed up if true

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

G0RF posted:

In related news...

https://twitter.com/KeeganStandifer/status/876836830133575680

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Mods are now removing refund threads :ohdear:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Latin Pheonix posted:

I can't remember the loan agreement (and I'll be damned if I'll start trawling through it on my weekend), but the loan term might allow CIG to license its copyright to third parties. That or Crobberts might be trying to sell/license the IP on the condition that the buyer pays off the Coutts loan so Coutts no longer have an interest in the IP (lol).

Personally I think it would be hilarious if CIG just sold everything and left it as another company's problem.

"Dear backers,

This is a very difficult letter to write; as you know, we've made history as being the largest crowdfunded game in history and thanks to your support we were able to build a studio to bring you the BDSSE.

Unfortunately, the costs involved in making this game are proving just too high for something like crowdfunding to support and if we continue on at this rate CIG will be insolvent in a few months. As a result of this realisation, and after careful consultation with the other heads of studios, I have decided that it's in CIG's best interest that we transfer all of the development work that SC requires to a different studio; one that has a publisher backing it so that money is no longer a long-term concern in SC's future.

Fear not! I will remain part of this project as a creative consultant, to ensure that our vision of the BDSSE is not compromised!

With this in mind, I am happy to announce that, from tomorrow onwards, all development of SC will be done by Microsoft Studios Gearbox Software, a company well known for its high-quality products and consumer friendliness, who I'm sure will produce a game up the high standard that SC's IP demands.

Best wishes

Chris Robberts.

P.S. I'll be on holiday for the next year, please direct any inquiries regarding this letter to Ben Lesnick.

P.P.S No refunds, lol"

Leaker!!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Golli posted:

what is a 'vinyl setup'? Like latex, only cheaper?

Let's rub!

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

D_Smart posted:

Leaker!!

Wouldn't be surprised if CIG trawl these forums for ideas.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Sarsapariller posted:

Going to summarize this for people who don't want to read it:

<open with stolen goon art>
Self Aggrandizement
I called it in my first blog
I called it in the ELE blog
Here's a link to my blog about their terms of service and how they keep changing it.
Here's a link to my blogs where they denied somebody refunds and then that person went to the CA authorities and they stopped denying refunds.
Here's a link to my blogs about their engine and how it can't work and how I called that they were going to switch to Amazon's.
Here's a link to my blogs about how they're going to ship a MVP and then bail. None of this has happened but I'm right anyway.
Here's about fifty links to my blogs about their financial problems where I've been saying they would run out of money any day now for about two years. Here's a link to my blog about them taking some tax credits in the UK which totally confirms the rest of my blogs. Here's a link to my blog about a rumor posted on reddit that they may or may not be seeking $75m which also totally confirms the rest of my blogs.

Now, the new bit:
Here's a link to my completely empty tweet predicting total failure in the next two week time period.
Vague hand waving about how many people are talking to me.
People say Chris Roberts is looking to get out, and that other people are getting out. Shocking Revelation
People say that Chris Roberts is difficult to work with. Holy poo poo
I can't actually give you any detail on what is going on because my sources etc. etc.
Here is a link to literally the only new piece of information, and it is the new shell corporation as linked in the thread about three or four pages ago.

<close with stolen goon art>

PS this is not a mock post, that is the actual summary of the article.

HA

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
Star Citizen and Kingdom Come studios enter into partnership to share tech secrets

quote:

The developers behind Kickstarter successes Star Citizen and Kingdom Come: Deliverance are entering into an unofficial partnership that will allow both teams to share technical knowledge, Cloud Imperium head Chris Roberts confirmed on the official Star Citizen website.

The partnership began after Roberts saw the debut trailer for Kingdom Come, he writes, explaining how his interest in Kingdom Come's character creation system led to contacting the game's developers at Warhorse.

"Star Citizen doesn't need peasants and knights... but it does need a robust character creation system for the persistent universe," Roberts wrote. "And that technology is exactly what Warhorse is building for the CryEngine."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjeqxaGGMn4

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

How much do I need to pay Chris Roberts to license out that cool Kingdom Come tech?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sappo569 posted:

Ok I thought that was a joke about them opening yet another company right after gamescon but holy poo poo he really did

We're past alarms ringing and red lights flashing. We've reached the stage of nuclear sirens

Get. Your. Money. Out

It's a lot worse. Can't wait for my source imposed embargo to be lifted :negative:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

I'm up!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

AP posted:

:gary: Get a refund.

Who said he wrote that Glassdoor review? The review I posted wasn't even for the same role. I just suggest it was related because it was Austin office goings-on...

Good for both of them that they got out happy, really.

Well now that's pretty funny.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Sep 9, 2017

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

I have a good feeling about this.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Hey, SomethingJones, you on your phone posting or at a PC? I'm strongly considering twitching my exploits on F.E.A.R inspired by you getting into the game. I have the following rules:

1 - Hardest difficulty
2 - No slow mo
3 - Make the enemy FEAR you, make them run to the loving hills
4 - Dakka is good, dakka is life
5 - You are not allowed to stay still

Basically my style is :justpost: Interested in watching at all?

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

G0RF posted:

Who said he wrote that Glassdoor review? The review I posted wasn't even for the same role. I just suggest it was related because it was Austin office goings-on...

Good for both of them that they got out happy, really.

Me.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Sarsapariller posted:

Going to summarize this for people who don't want to read it:

<open with stolen goon art>
Self Aggrandizement
I called it in my first blog
I called it in the ELE blog
Here's a link to my blog about their terms of service and how they keep changing it.
Here's a link to my blogs where they denied somebody refunds and then that person went to the CA authorities and they stopped denying refunds.
Here's a link to my blogs about their engine and how it can't work and how I called that they were going to switch to Amazon's.
Here's a link to my blogs about how they're going to ship a MVP and then bail. None of this has happened but I'm right anyway.
Here's about fifty links to my blogs about their financial problems where I've been saying they would run out of money any day now for about two years. Here's a link to my blog about them taking some tax credits in the UK which totally confirms the rest of my blogs. Here's a link to my blog about a rumor posted on reddit that they may or may not be seeking $75m which also totally confirms the rest of my blogs.

Now, the new bit:
Here's a link to my completely empty tweet predicting total failure in the next two week time period.
Vague hand waving about how many people are talking to me.
People say Chris Roberts is looking to get out, and that other people are getting out. Shocking Revelation
People say that Chris Roberts is difficult to work with. Holy poo poo
I can't actually give you any detail on what is going on because my sources etc. etc.
Here is a link to literally the only new piece of information, and it is the new shell corporation as linked in the thread about three or four pages ago.

<close with stolen goon art>

PS this is not a mock post, that is the actual summary of the article.

I really appreciate you doing this. I'd hate to open another one of his blog links after that one time.

SirTagz fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 9, 2017

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

AbstractNapper posted:

I have a good feeling about this.

At least some of the backer's money will be going to a project that may actually release a game.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I clicked a Derek link and now youtube keeps suggesting vinyl set ups

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Mr.Tophat posted:

Hey, SomethingJones, you on your phone posting or at a PC? I'm strongly considering twitching my exploits on F.E.A.R inspired by you getting into the game. I have the following rules:

1 - Hardest difficulty
2 - No slow mo
3 - Make the enemy FEAR you, make them run to the loving hills
4 - Dakka is good, dakka is life
5 - You are not allowed to stay still

Basically my style is :justpost: Interested in watching at all?

Do it.

I'm working but I have about half an hour of downtime right now so just post a link

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

D_Smart posted:

It's a lot worse. Can't wait for my source imposed embargo to be lifted :negative:

I bet people like you were strangled during the telegraph era

(telegraph operator eagerly awaiting message)
*tapping furiously starts*

BE PREPARED FOR MESSAGE TO ARRIVE
STOP
MESSAGE WILL BE OF INORDINATE LENGTH
STOP
CAN NOT YET SEND MESSAGE AS HAVE NOT BEEN GIVEN CLEARANCE
STOP
WILL UPDATE YOU WHEN CLEARANCE HAS BEEN GIVEN
STOP
BE WARNED MESSAGE IS EVEN MORE URGENT THAN YOU THOUGHT
STOP
YOUR WILDEST IMAGININGS PALE IN COMPARISON TO MESSAGE THAT WILL BE ARRIVING
STOP
ONCE CLEARANCE HAS BEEN GIVEN I WILL SEND MESSAGE
STOP
MESSAGE IS INCOMING
STOP
AS SOON AS CLEARANCE IS GIVEN. REMEMBER YOU WERE FOREWARNED
STOP

*sixteen hours later the only thing moving in the office is the telegraph, overseen by an unmoving operator that long ago ate a bullet*

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

D_Smart posted:

Did you carefully vet the source to ensure it wasn't a false-flag op, Derek?

You gigantic twit.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

peter gabriel posted:

I clicked a Derek link and now youtube keeps suggesting vinyl set ups

Like this vinyl set up?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Dogeh posted:

Like this vinyl set up?

Please stop doxxing me and my set up

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
I'm glad the dude got out of CIG and I wish him all the loving best.

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

Three things:

1. FEAR is a great game. If you haven't played it, GOG has it on sale for $2.50 right now: https://www.gog.com/game/fear_platinum. This $2.50 will bring so much more joy and bad assery than a $3,000 fleet of JPEGs ever could.
2. Chris Roberts is a hack.
3. Star Citizen is bad.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

He's a moron.

People leaving are trying to keep it quiet.

This was him here, tagged by Tyler.

https://twitter.com/captainzyloh/status/722875964376481793

This is his new Twitter handle now where he announces his departure.

https://twitter.com/tuxedomarx/status/906305386726162437

NOTE: He just deleted this Tweet.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

D_Smart posted:

He's a moron.

People leaving are trying to keep it quiet.

This was him here, tagged by Tyler.

https://twitter.com/captainzyloh/status/722875964376481793

This is his new Twitter handle now where he announces his departure.

https://twitter.com/tuxedomarx/status/906305386726162437

NOTE: He just deleted this Tweet.

oh god make it end

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Meanwhile, back at the ranch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Ah well that explains it.

It was a pretty genteel Glassdoor review, really -- made it seem like a positive place to work aside from AC failures that get ignored too long, a non-confidence inspiring CEO and glacial pace of game development progress concerns...