Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Vertical Lime posted:

how does he keep falling upward

This is an interesting definition of 'up.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FS1 won't air whatever poo poo Jason Whitlock was planning

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

When Fox tells you it's time to chill, you are a terrible human being

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

They were probably just annoyed he didnt have the guy in blackface

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Albom and Lupica are reviving Sports Reporters as a podcast. Ew.

lol at the first commenter who genuinely believes it's called All Takes Matter

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

lol as if the dads who want to listen to that even know how to get podcasts

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I just dryheaved

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I actually really liked that episode of the Simmons podcast, where he, Bryan Curtis, and that dude from the WaPo(?) did their Sports Repoders imitation.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Dexo posted:

https://twitter.com/OTLonESPN/status/905479633658945536

Finally an NFL player is standing up (kneeling down?) For causes like police brutality.

I'm glad a hero like Michael Bennett is the first player to ever bring something like that up

I'm glad all it took was a well liked player being threatened to get his "loving head blown off" before the NFL/media decided to pretend to care.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/SportsTVRatings/status/906151121256775682

oh lord they're gonna blame kaep some more :negative:

never mind the fact

https://twitter.com/mulvihill79/status/906145463832764418

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Personally, I watched Rachel Maddow, and only occasionally looked in the game day thread after the banner raising and ceremony.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I watched half the game, got bored and watched The Deuce pilot, missing the fun part of the game

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I watched none of the game. Checked the score once. The NFL is trash. Get on my level. :smug:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeah i'm a little disappointed I didn't watch NE get completely chaos dunked, but still avoiding all NFL television has dramatically improved my life

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mahoning posted:

I watched none of the game. Checked the score once. The NFL is trash. Get on my level. :smug:

My team just drafted a quarterback early for the first time since I've been aware of sports, I'm stuck with the NFL for a while.

Also they just beat the Pats on their big ceremony night :smug:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

I didn't watch because even without the political overtones I can't take one more second of the Patriots being untouchable

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I was watching US Open tennis.

Because gently caress da Pats

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

DJExile posted:

yeah i'm a little disappointed I didn't watch NE get completely chaos dunked, but still avoiding all NFL television has dramatically improved my life

I skipped the Super Bowl this year for the first time in my life and I really underestimated how little of a poo poo I give about watching it.

The last non super bowl NFL game I watched was that Vikings/Eagles playoff game in like....2011. My life has markedly improved since

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Mahoning posted:

I didn't even know there was a football game yesterday until I saw the score this morning. (throws beard and laughs at you like that kung fu master in kill bill)

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
beIN Sports has its US headquarters in Miami, so they're in emergency mode. While that's understandable, what's not understandable is having a loving Pete Rose interview in the standby position.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Teemu Pokemon posted:

The last non super bowl NFL game I watched was that Vikings/Eagles playoff game in like....2011. My life has markedly improved since

what the gently caress

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I aspire to be that guy.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
WatchESPN already an absolute train wreck. It's completely frozen and not working at all.

Did they also fire the engineers and IT guys that are supposed to keep this thing up and running?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Mahoning posted:

Did they also fire the engineers and IT guys that are supposed to keep this thing up and running?

Last I heard Equifax hired them.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mahoning posted:

WatchESPN already an absolute train wreck. It's completely frozen and not working at all.

For comparison, I've never had real problems with NBCSN and Fox Sports Go, at least for the in browser versions. I've never had WatchESPN work except ONCE, which was the 100th Indy 500 (watched it on TV this year). When I was trying to watch the NBA Finals, I could not get it to work.

Alternatively:

Colostomy Bag posted:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I've never had the Watch ESPN problems everyone seems to have but Fox Sports Go is always awful

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I've never had the Watch ESPN problems everyone seems to have but Fox Sports Go is always awful

I've never had any problems with FSGo. You can also use your adblocker without it bitching at you, which is really nice when you're watching racing and they go "side by side".

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

I've never had WatchESPN problems before this season. First started seeing problems last weekend.

(I admittedly don't watch it much outside college football season)

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Spoeank posted:

what the gently caress

and i'm in goontier a :madmax:

Also I mean I've been in bars when games were on and poo poo and might've glanced at the TV but I bet in that timeframe, I've watched maybe a total of 6 quarters of NFL football. I definitely haven't watched more than a quarter of any individual game since then

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 9, 2017

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

WatchESPN is good for me rn

e: I spoke too soon

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 10, 2017

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Watch ESPN's been hit or miss for me, sometimes it's rock solid othertimes it's like pulling teeth, and it's not always during what should be heavy usage times.

What's been a real pain in the rear end is MLBTV this season. I use Chromecast to go phone to TV and it buffers to the point where if I watch a game at the start, I'll be two innings behind when it goes final. It's not ideal.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Important crosspost from the MLB game day thread
https://twitter.com/SurvivingGrady/status/906691114211704833

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Are their contracts stored in plaintext?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I can't wait to see the ratings for the late afternoon NFL games today. NBC has been covering Hurricane Irma live since 4:30 ET and I have to imagine that's drawing tons of viewers away from lovely NFL games.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Mahoning posted:

I can't wait to see the ratings for the late afternoon NFL games today. NBC has been covering Hurricane Irma live since 4:30 ET and I have to imagine that's drawing tons of viewers away from lovely NFL games.

Nielsen isn't doing ratings for a while because of the hurricane.

https://twitter.com/SportsTVRatings/status/907017175910768646

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I don't think it's all the hurricane. They have some issues. Mainly more options on TV and not having to sit through 2 hours of commercials. Redzone has spoiled the poo poo out of me because I can barely watch national games unless it's the playoffs or something. I can watch half a season of a TV show in the time it takes to watch a crappy game. Touchdown, commercial, kickoff, commercial, etc.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Niwrad posted:

I don't think it's all the hurricane. They have some issues. Mainly more options on TV and not having to sit through 2 hours of commercials. Redzone has spoiled the poo poo out of me because I can barely watch national games unless it's the playoffs or something. I can watch half a season of a TV show in the time it takes to watch a crappy game. Touchdown, commercial, kickoff, commercial, etc.

This is a problem with NASCAR right now too. Ratings are easily the strongest among racing groups in the US, but slipping (meanwhile, IndyCar's are slowly rising, and they're already planning for the next TV deal to include a streaming package). The sport is flailing to try to recapture the lightning that was late 90s early 00s. And they're blaming everything but themselves.

The NFL is going the same way. They want to grasp at straws to blame anything and everything but the product itself.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Niwrad posted:

They finally got rid of this part and the results have been immediately improved. Nearly every game today ended well within a 3-hour window. I was almost shocked when Redzone started the recap montage at like 7:25, since they usually pushed the 8 p.m. limit in the past. We'll see if this keeps up, but it was a good start towards streamlining the game experience.

I never really got the "NFL games are too long" argument anyway, even the worst flag-fests with too many commercials were/are usually over in ~3 hours. Meanwhile, college football games routinely drag out over 4 hours, with some pushing 5. The "clock stops on first down" rule and review-happy refs can grind things down to a loving snail's pace. Oh, and they still have "touchdown/commercial/kickoff/commercial."

I love college football, but nobody should pretend it has better pacing than the NFL.

Benne fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Sep 11, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Apparently Tony Romo had a very good debut on CBS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Maybe I'm in the minority on this but I've always appreciated color commentators (or really any analyst) that is willing to share X's and O's insight rather than tired old cliches and generalizations. It's what makes that coach's film room portion of the College football Megacast so interesting.