Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fivehead
Jul 11, 2017

Americans Need Cash Now
I laid off employees for a client when I was a Big4 consultant.

What a terrible, gutless time. We weren't even supposed to tell them our names or who we worked for. We were "from IT"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Flat Daddy posted:

the best life is being a lazy dipshit who still exceeds expectations somehow

then have i got an industry for you

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
hello

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

you know what sucks? when you got another job lined up that was literally posted for you and the hiring manager reports to the dude who set it up for you and it will pay great figgies so you need to make sure you can pass a piss test and have to drop weed for tons of alcohol to make sure you can land it. weed has been a godsend and not drinking is cool and good

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Flat Daddy posted:

the best life is being a lazy dipshit who still exceeds expectations somehow

When expectations are so low, that's not too difficult.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Turnquiet posted:

you know what sucks? when you got another job lined up that was literally posted for you and the hiring manager reports to the dude who set it up for you and it will pay great figgies so you need to make sure you can pass a piss test and have to drop weed for tons of alcohol to make sure you can land it. weed has been a godsend and not drinking is cool and good

no computer touching job is worth the indignity of a piss test, much less having to actually give up weed

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I once worked for a company that got acquired a few months after I left. The acquirer had a piss test policy. The acquiree was based in Berkeley.

It didn't go well.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

loving lmfao if you need to take a piss test and it's not a government job. I'd reject a job right there.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Agreed and I don't even smoke weed.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Turnquiet posted:

piss tests are for losers, but I think you might also have kind of a serious drug/alcohol problem.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

just cheat your piss test. my current job piss tests and 100% of the people I know here cheated it

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Turnquiet posted:

Have you tried not being a broke brained drug addict op ?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
my crippling marijuana addiction

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I don't think I have had to take a piss test for the last 11 years. Or when I started being paid to program for a living.

I just assumed most jobs above 60k a year didn't require a piss test. :shrug:

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

ratbert90 posted:

I don't think I have had to take a piss test for the last 11 years. Or when I started being paid to program for a living.

It's to make sure you're a culture fit. If it comes up clean you get rejected

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

good point maybe i should figure out why i think i need these things in my life and work on adjusting that instead of resenting needing to go without for a time.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

ratbert90 posted:

current gig was the first that ever did a drug test as part of onboarding, and i assume next gig probably would do the same (east coast), but its just a one and done onboarding thing in my experience. lol working at someplace that would rescreen after employment for computer touching.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Turnquiet posted:

good point maybe i should figure out why i think i need these things in my life and work on adjusting that instead of resenting needing to go without for a time.

serious talk: gently caress working anywhere that piss tests you

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
lol if you can't abstain for 3 weeks to check a corporate checkbox, it's a one time deal I've never been retested

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
do people with a marijuana prescription for a recognized disability get success on ADA complaints about generalized drug tests?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
i got drug checked once in my life, ten years ago, when I did a contract for an America. company.

before and since then? nope never not a once

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Bhodi posted:

lol if you can't abstain for 3 weeks to check a corporate checkbox, it's a one time deal I've never been retested

Lol thinking that people should just deal with a massive invasion of privacy that has no bearing on your job.

Drug test if you are suspected of being high while at work? Sure, sounds good.

Drug test before employment? gently caress off.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

ShadowHawk posted:

do people with a marijuana prescription for a recognized disability get success on ADA complaints about generalized drug tests?

no because red state shitbirds apply federalism/states rights in whatever way ensures they harm poors, minorities, or other undesirables.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
I got hair tested for my internship and it was almost exactly 90 days after I stopped hanging out with the college friends I would usually smoke with.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
i got piss tested for my current job. i weighed the intrusive indignity of it versus the indignity of being unable to pay my rent. it was not a tough decision and i do not regret it, job is great. (how can that be? because dumb corporate policy has way less of an effect on job quality than your manager and coworkers.)

also piss tests you schedule yourself are really more intelligence tests than drug tests.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
I mean, you never know what could happen if a person who smokes weed got behind the wheel of a computer. That's really dangerous.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Doom Mathematic posted:

I mean, you never know what could happen if a person who smokes weed got behind the wheel of a computer. That's really dangerous.

if you aren't subject to a drug test it's because your company doesn't make any real products at your facility :colbert:

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
kudos to the ppl itt who admit taking a piss test without expressing resentment about it

if it were legal, i would make you hold eye contact with me while you piss into coffee cup with my name on it

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

PokeJoe posted:

just cheat your piss test. my current job piss tests and 100% of the people I know here cheated it

i wonder how much variation there is w/r/t security protocols in these piss labs.

i seriously thought they strip search you on your way to the toilet and then listen at the door while you go

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

which is more invasive, a piss test or a background check through your history

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
the piss test. you're requesting a biological sample from my loving body. background checks just look at the same public information that everyone else does

unless you're talking about the lifestyle poly level of background check, that poo poo is hella invasive

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Helianthus Annuus posted:

i wonder how much variation there is w/r/t security protocols in these piss labs.

i seriously thought they strip search you on your way to the toilet and then listen at the door while you go

if its for a job screening its just like if it was for a medical test. nothing invasive like that

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i was never big on weed so i don't really give a poo poo. sure, i'll drive out and piss into a jar this afternoon, see you tomorrow.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

hobbesmaster posted:

if you aren't subject to a drug test it's because your company doesn't make any real products at your facility :colbert:

yeah we got forklifts and big trucks and poo poo where i work, it's pretty understandable they don't want anyone wandering out into the warehouse while high.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

yeah we got forklifts and big trucks and poo poo where i work, it's pretty understandable they don't want anyone wandering out into the warehouse while high.

they dont actually care about that beyond insurance and worker's comp purposes. the only reason they test is so they can deny benefits and say its your fault for smoking weed 10 days before getting run over by a forklift

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I don't smoke and

jre posted:

serious talk: gently caress working anywhere that piss tests you

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I mean maybe I'm just spoiled with good jobs that don't attempt to poo poo all over your personal privacy, but I would only agree to a piss test if I was desperate. There would have to be a really shiny carrot held over my head to even consider it otherwise.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I don't smoke, but wish weed was legal here.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
we piss test on hiring but if we ever did it to existing employees we'd probably lose >50% of the engineers because we're in Colorado

ofc none of the managers care, hr is hr and insists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

hobbesmaster posted:

lol or maybe it's because your company is too busy making real things to worry about bullshit like what you do for fun

also you might have an SVP who makes a weed joke during a product intro

• Locked thread