Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Morpheus posted:

Spoilers on that quest:
You can find an audio log from Will Mitchell in his room in the Crew Quarters, and he neither sounds nor looks anything like the man claiming to be him. That's what tipped me off.

You know I noticed the same thing but was too wrapped up in exploring the area and so assumed I must be thinking of the wrong guy. Didn't realize until it was too late. Tracking him down later on was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I never noticed anything about that guy on that quest because Prey, while being an excellent game, does some questionable things about enemy spawns and poo poo. I barely heard anything that guy was saying because the instant I loaded into that area I was face to face with The Nightmare and had to take off running past all the enemies while he yells quest setup at me.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Glagha posted:

I never noticed anything about that guy on that quest because Prey, while being an excellent game, does some questionable things about enemy spawns and poo poo. I barely heard anything that guy was saying because the instant I loaded into that area I was face to face with The Nightmare and had to take off running past all the enemies while he yells quest setup at me.

Yeah that was loving bizarre. Area loads, suddenly huge loving thing my face that I had to sprint away from as people's heads exploded around me.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I will say a PYF thing for Prey to stay on topic because i want to bitch about it. I love some of the subtle puzzles the game presents without calling attention to them, especially with regards to using looking glass stuff.

That being said I've had a LOT of "zone into area, enemy is directly in your face and immediately attacks without giving any opportunity to hide or evade" moments.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
More than once I've gone to an area, saw a Nightmare Tokyo drift into my field of vision and just turned right the gently caress around and left.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Wait, are you supposed to run from the Nightmare? I've blitzed every one I've encountered and blown them away with the shotgun. They fall easily enough, I thought.

I'm on normal; are you guys on hard?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Morpheus posted:

Spoilers on that quest:
You can find an audio log from Will Mitchell in his room in the Crew Quarters, and he neither sounds nor looks anything like the man claiming to be him. That's what tipped me off.

(Prey)
His accent should also tip you off because the logs in the area where they're testing stuff on people mention that they used Russian criminals.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Leavemywife posted:

Wait, are you supposed to run from the Nightmare? I've blitzed every one I've encountered and blown them away with the shotgun. They fall easily enough, I thought.

You can do either, it doesnt really make a difference. One takes ammo and one takes time. Its really easy to get where it cant reach you.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

my favorite thing about Prey is Walton Goggins out of nowhere in the most minuscule part imaginable.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

Leavemywife posted:

I did my main run on hard- it wasn't that I couldn't take it on, rather that I wasn't really prepared to do so. Runnning low on health/psi supplies or ammo, usually. Combat focus + a shotgun shoved against it seems to work well enough otherwise. Etheric phantoms are actually harder because they blitz so fast it's hard to track them.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen

muscles like this! posted:

(Prey)
His accent should also tip you off because the logs in the area where they're testing stuff on people mention that they used Russian criminals.
Also, if you rescue that one criminal instead of making exotic material out of him, he warns you of one of the other prisoners he saw going through the area earlier, who fits the description.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
Prey is a fantastic game because you can kill enemies in stylish ways such as using Lift Field to raise a phantom several meters, cover it with GLOO, and letting the Field drop and shatter it (if it's low on HP) or by Hulking out and hurling couches and refrigerators at hovering enemies in slow-mo.

Also, the graphic details in Grim Dawn continue to be awesome: I just noticed that my Pyromancer's Hellhound has a physics-enabled tongue, he rolls it out to one side of his mouth if you stand around. :3:
The raven's flying animation is also so bad it also loops back around to awesome, it moves like its wings are two cardboard flaps taped to its back.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

QuietLion posted:

Prey is a fantastic game because you can kill enemies in stylish ways such as using Lift Field to raise a phantom several meters, cover it with GLOO, and letting the Field drop and shatter it (if it's low on HP) or by Hulking out and hurling couches and refrigerators at hovering enemies in slow-mo.

Throwing stuff is the easiest way to clear out crysts I found and I always thought it was weird people had issues with them when most floating segments were filled with stuff to throw.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I find that mind controlling a cyst would make it a little tougher and able to set of a chain reaction of annoying explosions.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby

Nuebot posted:

Throwing stuff is the easiest way to clear out crysts I found and I always thought it was weird people had issues with them when most floating segments were filled with stuff to throw.
I personally only had this problem when approaching the side of Talos I after boosting around a couple hundred meters out in space, but then realized that essentially every breach has floating objects somewhere nearby. For those cystoids rooted near Airlocks, you can just use one of several powers or guns to kill them - and effectively too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I just used the crossbow to set them off.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Well played Yoko Taro. I just spent too long trying to get one of 9S's hackable chests, the really hard to reach one that's been bugging me for ages. It's a schoolgirl anime DVD. Well now I feel foolish, but it's another unique item anyway!

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

Yoko Taro has a special deep-seated hatred for completionists.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I will go on record as saying that the final ending to the original Nier was great. It was well executed and thematically appropriate. I do not consider the time it took wasted in the least.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You can't bring up the Ball Buster without showing it :colbert:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTiX1Fler90

DING! :shepface:

The best is Daisy Cutter :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNo-1R_bFZU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Just got to the third playthrough of Nier Automata after endings A and B. Things have definitely happened. Looking forward to seeing where things go from here. It's definitely more interesting than the original Nier, only because your not just playing the same thing three times with slight differences in presentation. Just finished the Big initial assault that drove most of YorHa crazy due to a computer virus. Just did the black box reaction. Currently sitting at 75% sidequests because no new ones spawned. I'll hunt the rest down when the game lets me. Did the parade though, so that's out of the way. Now the only big annoyance will be Jackass's sidequest. It just seems that that quest isn't available for 9S.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Sniper Party posted:

Also, if you rescue that one criminal instead of making exotic material out of him, he warns you of one of the other prisoners he saw going through the area earlier, who fits the description.
Also, (continuing with prey spoilers for the kitchen), the audiolog and emails for the real Will Mitchell, which you should see when the fake one sends you to his cabin to get his cooking award, make it clear that he knows you pretty well, while the fake one has never seen you before and just calls you "M. Yu" because that's what's on your uniform.

They give you plenty of hints that he's not on the up and up.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Just started Nier Automata's third playthrough: I've been concentrating on A2 for now with selecting who to control because I'm curious about what her"deal" is, and I just got done playing 15 hours of 9S. Just got to A2 saving Pascal outside the resistance camp, letting him live then finding out she has to go crawling back to him because she needs a new filter. Way not to burn bridges A2 you robo-racist :v:. I thought the first boss that she fought in the desert was interesting, but it was also fairly annoying. I just chewed through a bunch of healing items and tanked it. Looking forward to where this arc is going to go though. :)

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Strudel Man posted:

Also, (continuing with prey spoilers for the kitchen), the audiolog and emails for the real Will Mitchell, which you should see when the fake one sends you to his cabin to get his cooking award, make it clear that he knows you pretty well, while the fake one has never seen you before and just calls you "M. Yu" because that's what's on your uniform.

They give you plenty of hints that he's not on the up and up.

They give you even more hints that something is not kosher, as there are repeated logs about one of the Volunteers being immune to the mind controlling effects of the mental typhon. A lovely window in a kitchen is not going to be enough to stop a mind control effect as witnessed by all the humans being controlled and out of LoS from the big bads.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I'm in a similar boat as BioEnchanted. I started route C this morning and it's very nice that things are happening and the pace has been kicked up a bit. I was ready to call it halfway through route B after it was a bunch of retreading route A.

But now I'm hooked.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Man, I just finished that game and my fav thing about Automata is how many callbacks there are to the original NIER in a way that in no way detract or distract from this game. And also hot diggidy that final ending!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BioEnchanted posted:

Just started Nier Automata's third playthrough: I've been concentrating on A2 for now with selecting who to control because I'm curious about what her"deal" is, and I just got done playing 15 hours of 9S. Just got to A2 saving Pascal outside the resistance camp, letting him live then finding out she has to go crawling back to him because she needs a new filter. Way not to burn bridges A2 you robo-racist :v:. I thought the first boss that she fought in the desert was interesting, but it was also fairly annoying. I just chewed through a bunch of healing items and tanked it. Looking forward to where this arc is going to go though. :)

You need to go nuts with Berserk Mode for big damage and trivialize the fight. You have an auto-heal chip for a reason.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You need to go nuts with Berserk Mode for big damage and trivialize the fight. You have an auto-heal chip for a reason.

Do not underestimate the power of stacking Berserk Mode and Taunt. If you want things to just fuckin' die, that poo poo will wreck everything.

If you also throw on one of Jackass' drugs, I don't think there's much that can last more than a few rounds, though at that point I'm pretty sure you'll be fighting completely blind.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
The decision of the devs of The Surge to allow you to replace the maudlin loop of music in your ops centre (bonfire equivalent for a soulslike) with any music file you like in a recent patch is nice, although my inability to find something more thematically appropriate than Raymond Scott's Powerhouse hasn't actually made it less monotonous.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Thinking about older games: I came across this video about Half Life which brings the original game and the expansions together to show how they each fit into the 'scale' of Black Mesa and the events that took place. I like it when it's possible to trace events like this from the perspective of different characters, it gives the game world a huge amount of depth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Iu4GXUHfU0

TheMostFrench has a new favorite as of 05:09 on Sep 10, 2017

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TheMostFrench posted:

Thinking about older games: I came across this video about Half Life which brings the original game and the expansions together to show how they each fit into the 'scale' of Black Mesa and the events that took place. I like it when it's possible to trace events like this from the perspective of different characters, it gives the game world a huge amount of depth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Iu4GXUHfU0

That's really cool! I loved how everything in HL1 fit together like that.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I remember as a teenager being blown away how the stories interlocked, even though they only overlap for a few seconds total. I'm glad someone did this.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I liked how all of the announcements and radio chatter matched up as well, while the map highlights all of the areas which are referred to as having problems or dangers. Also, the casualty/survivor count which wasn't really a part of the game, but is an interesting statistic, because you wouldn't normally think of the NPCs as people also dealing with the catastrophe.

TheMostFrench has a new favorite as of 13:55 on Sep 10, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Just got ending D in Nier Automata and unlocked Chapter Select! That one sidequest getting all the enemy data is going to be annoying, but fine.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BioEnchanted posted:

Just got ending D in Nier Automata and unlocked Chapter Select! That one sidequest getting all the enemy data is going to be annoying, but fine.

Do the final battle again first.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

That's what I was planning on. Which option influences the ending? Is it (obv. heavy spoilers)playing as A2 instead of 9S, or saying you''ll stay on earth instead of going with Adam?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BioEnchanted posted:

That's what I was planning on. Which option influences the ending? Is it (obv. heavy spoilers)playing as A2 instead of 9S, or saying you''ll stay on earth instead of going with Adam?

Choosing between A2 and 9S.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

This whole thing's heavily reminiscent of Legacy of Kain: Defiance where you switched between Raziel and Kain as the story drove them together, until the major fight between them where You first play as Kain vs Raziel, and then the position of the player switches and suddenly your playing as Raziel vs Kain. That was loving awesome to me in Defiance.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
No, don't do it again right away, first finish the sidequests you missed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
An NPC in Destiny called Lord Shaxx is one of the game's PVP equipment vendors, and handles quests relating to that aspect of the game. He's literally incapable of talking at anything less than full volume, and will bellow at players when they go near him in the social hubs.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU CAN'T CONCENTRATE WHEN I'M SHOUTING?