Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
who isn't these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Truga posted:

who isn't these days

Miko IIno maybe?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
At this point their relationship is really just two subs each convinced they're the dom.

And the safe word is apparently "Miko IIno".

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i wasn't sure about the new girl at first but now i am totally into her walking in at the worst possible moment every chapter

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I started Hatsukoi Zombie because of this thread and I feel as if I've been tricked. I'm sure it gets better but I'm just kind of zoning out scrolling through it quickly because eh, at least 20 or so chapters in.

It has the problem I feel a lot of shounen love comedies do, where near 100% of the content revolves around ostensibly the romances of the involved characters to the point where any other plot threads might as well not exist. Everyone is only defined by how they relate to the main character(s). And if you're not feeling the comedy (especially in this example) it's quite a slog. To use a counter example, Ah! My Goddess had large stretches dealing with non-romance-focused chapters, often without even really a comedic focus, and would also feature side or ancillary characters just kind of living their own lives away from the usual MC nonsense. With shoujo/josei I at least feel that more often than that even if it is guilty of this as well it will have an emotional core or writing chops to justify it.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
don't read shounen romance

other than a very small number of exceptions romance written for teen boys sucks

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
I like Hatsukoi Zombie mostly because I'm a sucker for weird, sort-of-ecchi fantasy stories. Then once it started dropping bits and pieces of Ibusuki's childhood and Ebino began coming into her own, I was hooked.

But, yeah, it's meandering and sort of repetitive at the beginning. I don't know if I'd like it as much if I were binging it now as opposed to getting it in drips and drabs over time.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

chumbler posted:

Is Kaguya actually a pervert?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I first got into Hatsukoi Zombie because of the satirical elements. (Show me another shounen manga that calls out how lovely it is to be constantly surrounded by men's gratuitous sexual fantasies.) But that that element started slipping away because of what I have to assume is the author's realization of how much money they can make just drawing a bunch of titties every week.

There's some hints of the more interesting bits in more recent chapters, but I'm really hoping it's veering towards a conclusion here.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there's another reason not to read shounen romance manga- it will never come to a satisfactory conclusion.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

there's another reason not to read shounen romance manga- it will never come to a satisfactory conclusion.

Nyankoi...

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

There was a harem manga that ended with the MC chugging virility drinks, and telling everybody to line up, because he is done with thinking.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
You can't say that without at least trying to remember the name

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It's Yomeiro Choice

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oof. harem ends shouldn't include time-traveling daughters.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

There's a lot of things wrong with YC, really.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i just read the last chapter so i wouldn't know

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

chumbler posted:

Nyankoi...

Wait, did Nyankoi end? I was reading it, but it just kinda... stopped some years back, did it start up again?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
IIRC the author got sick.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ZiegeDame posted:

I first got into Hatsukoi Zombie because of the satirical elements. (Show me another shounen manga that calls out how lovely it is to be constantly surrounded by men's gratuitous sexual fantasies.) But that that element started slipping away because of what I have to assume is the author's realization of how much money they can make just drawing a bunch of titties every week.

There's some hints of the more interesting bits in more recent chapters, but I'm really hoping it's veering towards a conclusion here.

Yeah. Hatsukoi zombie had some pretty interesting messages throughout but kinda got into a holding pattern. It's done some really good character building for the main cast though. I do hope it's going into a more progression-based way instead of broken heart zombie-of-the-week, but with the latest reveal I could see some good and entertaining goofy plot coming from it. I'm someone who tends to be able to brush off excessive fanservice if I like the core of a story, maoyuu being a perfect example, but I understand if other people can't.

Also, wasn't TWGOK shonen? That had a real good story and ending to it, even if I didn't agree with the final choice.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The last arc was kind of lackluster and the ending comes out of nowhere way too suddenly, but yes I would call TWGOK an example of a shounen romantic comedy that was pretty great.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Also, wasn't TWGOK shonen? That had a real good story and ending to it, even if I didn't agree with the final choice.

If you disagree with the final choice you are simply wrong.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

chumbler posted:

If you disagree with the final choice you are simply wrong.
hmmm, no, Ayumi was the correct girl.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

oof. harem ends shouldn't include time-traveling daughters.

It didn't. They were just still hanging around, trying to get him to gently caress their mom first.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nate RFB posted:

The last arc was kind of lackluster and the ending comes out of nowhere way too suddenly, but yes I would call TWGOK an example of a shounen romantic comedy that was pretty great.

I kind of lost interest in the time travel bullshit stuff.

The correct choice was made, however. (Ayumi would also have been okay.)

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Chihiro was correct, but Yui and Hakua were the other acceptable choices.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Schubalts posted:

It didn't. They were just still hanging around, trying to get him to gently caress their mom first.

Also grandmas.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Toradora is shonen romance and it's very good. :colbert:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I often think about the ending of Stop! Hibari-kun and start seething

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

There was this one generally "okay" shounen romance I read called Masamune's Revenge that is actually kinda decent in this regard. It moves pretty solidly to a romantic conclusion and reaches it around chapter 40-50, and there's only one real competing love interest to speak of. The main character's gimmick is also interesting, in that he's this guy who used to be fat and now puts a bunch of effort into staying fit and dressing well (so it doesn't have the same weirdness of some random nerd attracting a bunch of girls).

I mean, there's nothing particularly amazing about it, but if the only things that bother someone about shounen romance are elements like the typical lack of resolution it might be worth a shot.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Schubalts posted:

i posted that immediately after reading the final chapter, without reading anything else from the manga. the lead up to a big orgy explicitly included the time traveling daughters. there isn't a whole lot of ambiguity to "let's have a three-way with me and my mom!", and i very much think less of you as a person that you'd defend such a thing.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

i posted that immediately after reading the final chapter, without reading anything else from the manga. the lead up to a big orgy explicitly included the time traveling daughters. there isn't a whole lot of ambiguity to "let's have a three-way with me and my mom!", and i very much think less of you as a person that you'd defend such a thing.

Reread the last chapter, and OK, I forgot that there was a panel of one of them saying that. Now reread my post. Was there any point where I defended the issues YC has? No, I offered a correction, because I legit did not remember that one panel, out of the entire rest of the chapter about the daughters still fighting over who gets conceived first.

Also, I don't even know you, so why would I care what you think of me, in the first place?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

hey you know what's not worth throwing down over

loving yomeiro choice

e: especially in a thread that it doesn't actually have relevance to

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Alternatively you could decide that time travel incest harems is the hill ya'll want to die on.

It is a difficult choice.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Someone said shonen romance so here's my twice yearly read Prunus Girl post

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
New Yona! http://bato.to/reader#0a79734abdfae3d4

e; :stare:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Sep 11, 2017

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

What.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Well, poo poo

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You come at the king, you best not miss.