Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Owers posted:

Maybe it was just the leader board reverting to default values or something, but I had a level 1 player disconnect from my ranked game :stare: The three of us fought admirably into overtime, though.

That happens if they disconnect right before the game starts. That's just a dummy entry the game displays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Japanese Splatfest results:

https://twitter.com/ju9ri9_yunyun/status/906805159023468544

The popularity curse is real, it seems.

Aw, I was hoping Marina would lose every post-launch Splatfest.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Sep 10, 2017

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
e:fb

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
With the Sting Ray buff, it looks like there's even more viability for my Splatling Power Armor setup. (Bomb Def, Quick Respawn and Ink Saver Main for quick reference. I needa figure out how to get screenshots offa this thing)

Wondering what I should go for with additional effects? I usually use this set for Ranked, Tower Control especially it seems suited for, so thinking of doubling down on Bomb Defense. (Also fits the theme)

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

is it true that the Comeback ability gives you four stacks worth of Ink Saver (Main), Ink Saver (Sub), Ink Recovery Up, Run Speed Up, Swim Speed Up, and Special Charge Up for TWENTY SECONDS every time you die??

because if so loving lol why am i using last ditch effort

I would probably stick with Last Ditch Effort for Turf Wars, since the last part of the match tends to be the most influential part most of the time.

It might be worth considering in ranked for support roles assuming you happen to have no other abilities you want over it, but yeah, Comeback is far better there for more active and aggressive players.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Also it's pretty much on 100% of the time if you're bad and die a lot (like me)

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

I would probably stick with Last Ditch Effort for Turf Wars, since the last part of the match tends to be the most influential part most of the time.

It might be worth considering in ranked for support roles assuming you happen to have no other abilities you want over it, but yeah, Comeback is far better there for more active and aggressive players.

To expand on the active and aggressive part, some of the best weapons for Comeback are brushes, rollers, and the Clash and Luna Blasters, which are all close range weapons that have a tendency to trade splats. For those weapons, which, in ranked, should be ones that push in once you have control, Comeback is somewhat of a lesser version of the Zombie build from the first game, while also allowing you to fight more effectively once you get back to the fight.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lakbay posted:

Also it's pretty much on 100% of the time if you're bad and die a lot (like me)

If you dont do a lot a lot, like 6 - 8 deaths in a five minute ranked match, thats 2 minutes of power boost, which is really tempting.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Remember that ranked matches can vary in length. So at the minimum, Comeback can last for 1/15th of the match. Ideally you don't want to be dying at the beginning of the match, since that can cost you the game, especially in Rainmaker. But it's definitely something to consider.

Also like with Last Ditch Effort, the boost that Comeback provides are separate multipliers that stack fully with your abilities. Meaning that they bypass the whole diminishing returns system as well. Depending on your existing abilities, it can be an even stronger boost to what you can do.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Comeback sounds sick and I was very sold on using it but after looking at the list of hats that can roll it I am no longer convinced I can make this compromise

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

I'm never taking off my bicycle helmet.

I'm all about safety.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Comeback sounds sick and I was very sold on using it but after looking at the list of hats that can roll it I am no longer convinced I can make this compromise

Several of us have Special Forces Berets with it, if that's better for you.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Zoran posted:

Several of us have Special Forces Berets with it, if that's better for you.

Im not sure I can part ways with my current freshness

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Ever since the life vest came out this month I've been wearing nothing but that, the snorkel mask, and the flip flops

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
guys:

1) make a twitter account you're only gonna use for switch screens
2) use the screengrab button and post the grabs to this twitter account
3) take the pics from the twitter account and post them elsewhere

poo poo is so easy

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
You could link to your real FB account and set the Switch share app's posting privacy default to "me only"

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Ranked should unlock at 5. Or Salmon Rush should let you level. I've had this game since launch and I still haven't unlocked Ranked because I don't really find turf war fun to play for more than a few marches at a time. I really love ranked from Splatoon 1 though.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Tender Bender posted:

Ranked should unlock at 5. Or Salmon Rush should let you level. I've had this game since launch and I still haven't unlocked Ranked because I don't really find turf war fun to play for more than a few marches at a time. I really love ranked from Splatoon 1 though.

I haven't touched turf since unlocking ranked in both games. I only play that mode during Splatfests now. Ranked is just much more exciting imo.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Tender Bender posted:

You should hang out with us on the Nintengoons Discord.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Here's something to keep in mind when playing Turf Wars on the Reef, both the bridge and the area under it counts.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

guys:

1) make a twitter account you're only gonna use for switch screens
2) use the screengrab button and post the grabs to this twitter account
3) take the pics from the twitter account and post them elsewhere

poo poo is so easy

what's even easier is just tweeting out images on your main twitter account since if you were looking to share your images with other people you might as well share them on twitter

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"

The closest and bloodiest rainmaker match I've had so far. A real nailbiter, too, we won in overtime. I was kind of surprised though, because it stops you as soon as you take the lead in OT. I guess it makes sense to not allow knockout wins in overtime?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Dr. Fetus posted:

Here's something to keep in mind when playing Turf Wars on the Reef, both the bridge and the area under it counts.

HOLY poo poo WHAT

Edit: oh TURF...thought it was Zones. Yeah I always treated it that way but glad to hear for sure.

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 11, 2017

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Dr Cheeto posted:

You could link to your real FB account and set the Switch share app's posting privacy default to "me only"

If my friends don't want fashionable squids filling up their timeline then they're no friends of mine.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

i link my salmon run screen grabs to my linkedin account just to show what a real profreshional i am and what a great place grizzco is to work at

(gonna get that corner office some day)

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Zoran posted:

You should hang out with us on the Nintengoons Discord.

I gotta get in on that, thanks!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LethalGeek posted:

HOLY poo poo WHAT

Edit: oh TURF...thought it was Zones. Yeah I always treated it that way but glad to hear for sure.

That would probably make an interesting Splat Zones setup for The Reef though.

Pyswagoras
Oct 4, 2013

Smiles posted:

i link my salmon run screen grabs to my linkedin account just to show what a real profreshional i am and what a great place grizzco is to work at

(gonna get that corner office some day)

Endorsed salmon genocide skill

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
What's a good gear loadout for a roller, do you think?

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Im not sure I can part ways with my current freshness

I've got Comeback on the Jellyvader cap if you like?

EDIT: Realised I had the zekko hoodie too so I tried it out for fun

VibrantPareidolia fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Sep 11, 2017

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Bean posted:

What's a good gear loadout for a roller, do you think?

Use a different weapon. :v:

In all seriousness, it depends on the game mode and specific loadout you're going for. I'll assume you're talking about the regular roller, as the other main rollers are currently very lacking. Comeback is a great one for ranked since you want to be an aggressive player with one.

Ink Saver Main is actually not that great of an ability for one, despite what you would think. Sure you can roll for longer, but your flicks are your real form of offense. And Ink Saver Main does not increase the number of flicks by that much. (You would have to have every single slot be Ink Saver Main just to get 8 more flicks when you can already flick 10 times from a full Ink Tank.)

On that note, Ink Recovery Up is really not that great in Splatoon 2. The only part that it has a heavy effect on is if you're in kid form, and you really should be in squid form to recover ink.

Special charge up would definitely be worth it if your roller has a strong special.

Though if your roller has Splashdown as its special, I recommend Special Power Up instead, as that increases Splashdown's radius by quite a bit if you stack enough.

If your roller has Curling Bombs, Sub Power Up is also something to consider, as it increases your Curling Bomb's speed heavily.

Run Speed Up does not work while rolling, so don't get it for that.

Ink Resistance Up and Bomb Defense Up are also nice to have if you can't think of anything you really want.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Does Run Speed Up just flat out not work while shooting and strafing with any weapon?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

In Training posted:

Does Run Speed Up just flat out not work while shooting and strafing with any weapon?

It does, just not with rollers and brushes.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

I'm really loving hamster ball for pushes on rainmaker.

Just had one of those moments where I had to put the game down because there's no way Im topping it tonight.

After killing a brush who tried to flank the rainmaker, I activate the hamster ball and roll into a pair of distracted players, explode killing them both and clearing a neat path for the rainmaker to dunk.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Here's the strategy for getting triples of whichever sub you want:

If your gear's brand favors the ability you want:
  1. Level up your gear through the first two levels. If you fail to get the desired sub on both rolls, scrub it immediately.
  2. If you do hit at least one of the sub you want, level it all the way. If that last roll fails and you haven't already rolled the correct sub twice, scrub.
  3. Repeat until you roll the target sub at least twice.
  4. If you didn't hit all three rolls, farm up 30 chunks and use them to finish off the gear.
It takes about 104,000 G on average for you to roll at least doubles in this scenario. If you don't happen to hit all three, it'll take about 700,000 G on average for you to earn 30 chunks grinding out the appropriate brand of gear. (Each 3-slot branded gear is worth 6/7 of a chunk per 20k G, so if you have other gear that already rolled one of the subs you want, it's cheaper to scrub that first.) The total average outlay, discounting chunks you earn from Salmon Run*, is about 722,000 G.

Otherwise:
  1. Use the appropriate drink.
  2. Here we use a slightly different strategy, on the assumption that our drinks are limited and we want to preserve them as much as possible. Level up your gear through the first level only. If you fail to get the desired sub on this roll, scrub immediately.
  3. If you do hit the sub you want, level it all the way. If you don't end up with at least doubles, scrub.
  4. Repeat until you roll the target sub at least twice.
  5. If you didn't hit all three rolls, farm up 30 chunks and use them to finish off the gear.
This is slightly more expensive than the first strategy, since we're scrubbing early on: it takes about 143,000 G on average to roll at least doubles. Following the same logic as before, total outlay to get triples is about 761,000 G.

Note: If you use a drink for an ability that happens to be the brand's disfavored ability, I think what happens is that your odds of success on any given roll are slightly worse, at 10/36 instead of 10/35. So this scrubbing strategy will cost ~151,000 G on average in that case.

What if I don't have a drink?

With neutral gear, it takes on average 2,123,000 G to scrub your gear until it hits doubles naturally, which is way worse than just grinding out 60 chunks (1.4 million G). Getting at least one takes about 124,000 G on average, which is less than the average cost of 10 chunks (~233,000 G), so you should scrub until you hit at least one sub, then fill out the rest by spending up to 50 chunks.

On a brand that disfavors the ability you want, just spend the 60 chunks.

*Unless you have a double money ticket or you're already very rich, you're actually likely to gain chunks fastest by playing profreshional Salmon Run with a decent team, even after your second superbonus—according to this spreadsheet, anyway. But that's only true for chunks in general; if you're looking for a particular kind of chunk, you're much better off grinding branded gear.

***Disclaimer: these are of course the average costs. It might well take you many more scrubs than average on any particular piece of gear, just because of randomness.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Sep 11, 2017

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i'm just playing normal and scrubbing my gear once it hits level three. i'll get my "perfect" set of gear eventually even if it takes a year. i'm not bothered by the wait because sub abilities only impact so much.

i'll probably do the thing where i spread the abilities i want out across all three pieces of gear. that way it only costs 30 chunks instead of 60. don't really care if that makes my gear less flexible because i'm that kind of guy who finds one or two weapons i like and one set of clothes i like and just sticks with it til the end of time

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Kaubocks posted:

i'm just playing normal and scrubbing my gear once it hits level three. i'll get my "perfect" set of gear eventually even if it takes a year. i'm not bothered by the wait because sub abilities only impact so much.

i'll probably do the thing where i spread the abilities i want out across all three pieces of gear. that way it only costs 30 chunks instead of 60. don't really care if that makes my gear less flexible because i'm that kind of guy who finds one or two weapons i like and one set of clothes i like and just sticks with it til the end of time

One thing you can do is try for doubles on the outfit you want to wear. The price for that is pretty reasonable—just about 100 to 150k—and it doesn't take too long, either. Then you can pay 10 chunks to fill out the third slot on your hat with whatever's missing from your shirt, and so on.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

In Training posted:

S rank is hard -_- been playing for like 6 hours and keep floating up and down trying to get to S+

Enjoy S while it lasts. S+ is honestly a complete shitshow in terms of matchmaking. Matches have been severely uneven up here. Boy I sure do love being matched against S+50s while I'm a lowly S+0 and being utterly destroyed. :suicide:

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

When's some fresh new fashion gonna be patched in? I want more clothes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Kaubocks posted:

I did this and I already have 3 "perfect" sets. I'm more fashion > functional too so I don't mind subs being spread out across 3 pieces of clothing as long as they look fresh and match. My last set does have an odd slot I didn't know what to put in so I'm learning the pain of grinding even just 20 chunks