Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Skittle Prickle posted:

Scott has finally responded to Charlottesville, (tucked away in an open thread so it isn't 15000 words for once)

http://slatestarcodex.com/2017/08/27/ot83-slippery-slopen-thread/

Apparently it's fine, it was only a small amount of nazis and trumps response (condemned by a ton of republicans) was just a "gaffe" and this is all hysteria like the Obama secret muslim thing and anyway the bigger threat is leftists

Scott seems unusually concerned about satanists, what's up with that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skittle Prickle
Oct 28, 2005

The best-tasting pickle I ever heard!

ate all the Oreos posted:

Scott seems unusually concerned about satanists, what's up with that

I don't think he has anything against satanists, hes trying to paint worrying about white nationalism as another moral panic like the christian panic over satanism. It's another part of his fetish for false equivalency. Lefties attacking trump for saying there are "good people" marching with the nazis is equivalent to righties claiming Obama is a secret muslim for not saying "radical islam", see both sides are hysterical over nothing! Both sides are equally bad, just being nonbiased here!

Not a word on Trump pardoning Arpaio, who was literally convicted for racial discrimination.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Skittle Prickle posted:

I don't think he has anything against satanists, hes trying to paint worrying about white nationalism as another moral panic like the christian panic over satanism. It's another part of his fetish for false equivalency. Lefties attacking trump for saying there are "good people" marching with the nazis is equivalent to righties claiming Obama is a secret muslim for not saying "radical islam", see both sides are hysterical over nothing! Both sides are equally bad, just being nonbiased here!

Not a word on Trump pardoning Arpaio, who was literally convicted for racial discrimination.

I mean I kinda thought he was doing that but who the hell knows off the top of their head how many people attended a recent satanist rally...

Well I guess Fox News probably does, so I guess that explains it.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

It'd be a much more convincing argument if Satanists had murdered people and if there were Satanist advisors in the White House

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Qwertycoatl posted:

if there were Satanist advisors in the White House

Yeah but Steve Bannon left already :rimshot:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Skittle Prickle posted:

He's saving his spiel on how Arpaio is ALSO not racist for later

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Yeah but Steve Bannon left already :rimshot:

How dare you besmirch Satanists that way. Even the Levayan Objectivist-mystic Satanists deserve more respect than that.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Qwertycoatl posted:

It'd be a much more convincing argument if Satanists had murdered people and if there were Satanist advisors in the White House

And America had a historical problem with Satanist terrorism, control of government and popular violence throughout its history.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

eschaton posted:

How dare you besmirch Satanists that way. Even the Levayan Objectivist-mystic Satanists deserve more respect than that.

"Dick Cheney. Darth Vader. Satan. That's power. It only helps us when they (liberals) get it wrong. When they're blind to who we are and what we're doing"

Not that there's anything wrong with Satanism, or any other Satanist on the planet, but yeah that's Bannon praising Satan.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

insane incel screed posted:

Chad-Bourgeois
mods????

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I wonder if the satanism thing is actually an attempt at "but both sides" based on the Podesta spirit cooking thing

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Tulip posted:

"Dick Cheney. Darth Vader. Satan. That's power. It only helps us when they (liberals) get it wrong. When they're blind to who we are and what we're doing"

Not that there's anything wrong with Satanism, or any other Satanist on the planet, but yeah that's Bannon praising Satan.

Fun fact, there are several white supremacist satanic organizations. The most well known of these are The Order of Nine Angles and The Joy of Satan. Combined they probably have a membership of a little over 2000(ONA was briefly investigated as a possible vector for acts of white supremacist terrorism. Due to the decentralized and secretive nature of the org, estimates are hard to get and it may in actuality be much smaller.)

These however, are dwarfed by organizations such as the Church of Satan, The Satanic Temple, The Temple of Set, and The Greater Luciferian Church. Which run the gamut from libertarian to explicitly far left.

:eng101:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Hate Fibration posted:

Fun fact, there are several white supremacist satanic organizations. The most well known of these are The Order of Nine Angles and The Joy of Satan. Combined they probably have a membership of a little over 2000(ONA was briefly investigated as a possible vector for acts of white supremacist terrorism. Due to the decentralized and secretive nature of the org, estimates are hard to get and it may in actuality be much smaller.)

These however, are dwarfed by organizations such as the Church of Satan, The Satanic Temple, The Temple of Set, and The Greater Luciferian Church. Which run the gamut from libertarian to explicitly far left.

The FPlus episode on satanists taught me that most "regular" satanists are apparently exactly the same as fundamentalist right-wing christians except they like satan instead because yeah shut up, dad!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
If you have gay sex, Billy, you’ll go to heaven!

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Hate Fibration posted:

Zeena Schreck (LaVey's daughter) hangs out with Boyd Rice and pals, who these days don't even bother not to be out and out racists, so.

otoh, I can state in confidence that LaVey would be inclined to rip Davis Aurini's head off and poo poo down his neck.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Skittle Prickle posted:

Scott has finally responded to Charlottesville, (tucked away in an open thread so it isn't 15000 words for once)

http://slatestarcodex.com/2017/08/27/ot83-slippery-slopen-thread/

Apparently it's fine, it was only a small amount of nazis and trumps response (condemned by a ton of republicans) was just a "gaffe" and this is all hysteria like the Obama secret muslim thing and anyway the bigger threat is leftists

i like how fear of white supremacy can apparently be compared to the state of politics during the war on terror. i guess instead of the military industrial complex profiting off the constant wars (and further entrenching their hold over american politics in the process) it will be social justice inc. with their countless clickbait articles. so, in scott's eyes, hell on earth.

also, there was a time when al-qaeda had few members (and it has very few now). pretending that the white supremacist movement can't grow, especially given the amenable political climate, is something only a rationalist can believe.

Fututor Magnus has a new favorite as of 09:25 on Aug 29, 2017

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Fututor Magnus posted:

also, there was a time when al-qaeda had few members (and it has very few now). pretending that the white supremacist movement can't grow, especially given the amenable political climate, is something only a rationalist can believe.

It's like how we didn't need any laws about discrimination because the free market naturally rewarded equality and punished bigotry.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

eschaton posted:

It's like how we didn't need any laws about discrimination because the free market naturally rewarded equality and punished bigotry.

it's more like seeing that equality seems to be pretty popular now and then saying that bigotry is history. scott and the rationalists really believe this, and like pinker's the better angels of our nature as an argument for it. i hoped that scott would at least learn from NRx that whig history is stupid. but now it seems that whig history is stupid until people start thinking that white supremacy is a problem, then they should shut up and accept that things are really good.

Skittle Prickle
Oct 28, 2005

The best-tasting pickle I ever heard!

Fututor Magnus posted:

it's more like seeing that equality seems to be pretty popular now and then saying that bigotry is history. scott and the rationalists really believe this, and like pinker's the better angels of our nature as an argument for it. i hoped that scott would at least learn from NRx that whig history is stupid. but now it seems that whig history is stupid until people start thinking that white supremacy is a problem, then they should shut up and accept that things are really good.

Yeah, you could really see this in the response to the google manifesto. They simply assume that sexism and racism aren't real problems anymore (apart from a few open KKK members who are the Only Real Racists) and it all ended sometime after the 80s, so any left over differences must be due to biotruths or whatever. They don't even try to prove this, it's just taken as completely obvious.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

divabot posted:

Zeena Schreck (LaVey's daughter) hangs out with Boyd Rice and pals, who these days don't even bother not to be out and out racists, so.

otoh, I can state in confidence that LaVey would be inclined to rip Davis Aurini's head off and poo poo down his neck.

NON, for those who aren't into industrial music, is Boyd Rice. A. Wyatt Mann, of course, is White Aryan Resistance's house cartoonist and source of a million 4chan memes.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Evil Wilhelm looks badly in need of a swirly

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!
I don't think I like this Addams Family reboot.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Hey so does this wierdo count as dark enlightenment?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZbmywzGAVs

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Terrible Opinions posted:

Hey so does this wierdo count as dark enlightenment?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZbmywzGAVs

No I think he's just batshit

Dark Enlighteners believe the descendants of Neanderthals are the master race

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
My god

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

ranma-official is the frothing nutbag who calls "LIES LIES" when someone in the outgroup posts literally verifiable facts, and will usually be making verifiably false claims himself in the process. This is your brain on rationalism.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

divabot posted:

I think lavey would probably love a dumbass who's really into skulls and edge.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

I dropped this exchange from a few months ago into my quotes.txt because it helped me remember the difference between the 2 similar sounding but very very different satan orgs

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The real danger of satanism is that it's a gateway drug to Ayn Rand

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

laveyan satanism is basically objectivism, the Satanic Temple or w/e owns because they're basically a political group that exists solely to troll people and point out how stupid religious objections are, citation that time they got a baphomet statue erected somewhere and then gay married some dudes in front of it

Baby Babbeh posted:

A LaVayan Satanist is just an Objectivist with warning colors to let you know any conversation with him will be toxic.

So I guess the Church of Satan is the bowtie of the edgy nihilist crowd?

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Satanism (e: or the Church of Satan, particularly) seems mostly to be about dancing on the grave of Christian hegemony and celebrating personal liberty, which obviously is of limited usefulness but still owns at least a little bit IMO. I can understand the appeal especially if you're a little older and remember the Satanic Panic or anything like that.

The Time Dissolver has a new favorite as of 04:28 on Sep 3, 2017

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Syd Midnight posted:

I dropped this exchange from a few months ago into my quotes.txt because it helped me remember the difference between the 2 similar sounding but very very different satan orgs

So I guess the Church of Satan is the bowtie of the edgy nihilist crowd?

Pretty much. It will not surprise you that satanists also have some of the most toxic group dynamics I have ever seen. They fight SO MUCH. Hell, Aquino who founded the Temple of Set, STILL to this day will yammer on and on about how awful everyone in the Church of Satan was and how they are all posers etc.

Most of the stuff resulting in the schism happened in the late 70's.

divabot posted:

ranma-official is the frothing nutbag who calls "LIES LIES" when someone in the outgroup posts literally verifiable facts, and will usually be making verifiably false claims himself in the process. This is your brain on rationalism.

The-Grey-Tribe is a crypto fascist libertarian type as is mitigated-chaos and a few others.

Hate Fibration has a new favorite as of 21:53 on Sep 3, 2017

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The Time Dissolver posted:

Satanism (e: or the Church of Satan, particularly) seems mostly to be about dancing on the grave of Christian hegemony and celebrating personal liberty, which obviously is of limited usefulness but still owns at least a little bit IMO. I can understand the appeal especially if you're a little older and remember the Satanic Panic or anything like that.
It only has the same value of r/atheism

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
http://isaacsapphire.tumblr.com/post/164967990334/mutant-aesthetic-its-genuinely-fascinating-to In which gamergate is not alt-right because some guy says so

And also Gamergate is still a thing. Never stop redoubling your efforts when you have forgotten your aim, dudes, you're gonna catch that road-runner with your ACME products one day!

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
https://twitter.com/2dAmMuslim/status/905956477285883905

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Trump grabbing pussies isn't even a nebulous ~rape culture~ thing he literally grabbed a woman by the pussy aagh gently caress you

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Trump grabbing pussies isn't even a nebulous ~rape culture~ thing he literally grabbed a woman by the pussy aagh gently caress you

Yeah but he says she let him, therefore not rape.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Apparently some of the psychos are trying to... do whatever it is they do on Twitter with Lowtax.

Samovar has a new favorite as of 19:19 on Sep 10, 2017

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The far-right is freaking out about this random paper

http://pnas.org/content/114/35/9314.full

The Vosgian Beast has a new favorite as of 15:25 on Sep 10, 2017

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

https://pnas.org/content/114/35/9314.full

Please Brave New World these people.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

https://pnas.org/content/114/35/9314.full

I'm getting a connection error. What is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Puppy Time posted:

I'm getting a connection error. What is it?

Try it now, I had to switch it from https to http.