Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

dexefiend posted:

For my first 10 Reivers in my Primaris only army, should I build them with Combat Knives or Bolt Carbines?

I have yet to play a game, but I am guessing knives, since I have no other melee troops.

I have no delusions of being a tournament winner with this list, but would like to not make wasteful decisions.

The knives are cooler, but I'll probably end up picking up a second squad to do carbines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DanoTuka
Apr 8, 2015

I dont have a lot of testing to go on but I've done Interceptors and Reivers dropping behind, Ceptors shootyshooty til reivers get up in melee (with the combat knife). Seems to be not terrible.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

dexefiend posted:

For my first 10 Reivers in my Primaris only army, should I build them with Combat Knives or Bolt Carbines?

I have yet to play a game, but I am guessing knives, since I have no other melee troops.

I have no delusions of being a tournament winner with this list, but would like to not make wasteful decisions.

If you're running them as a 10 man blob, go for the Knives. 34 attacks can't go wrong.

If you're running them as smaller squads of 5, go for the Tacticool Bolters, use them to snipe objectives and harass squishy targets.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

OptimusWang posted:

Question for you guys: for the space mans in the Dark Imperium box, should I put them together according to the instructions (as far as weapons and stuff) or something else?

In general they only go together one way. I've had some success with minor changes (removing helmets, swapping out arms using other bits, adding a grenade launcher) but in general they're pretty static.

Some you could pretty easily do an arm swap with the Intercessor box, but for the majority of the guys holding a bolter with two hands it's not trivial.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So, I worked out a trade deal and it looks like I'm going to have 27 Bikers and 10 Deathwatch Vanguard vets.

So, I guess I'm playing Deathwatch now? It works out, since I've started a small Inquisition force anyway.

Gotta figure out how many points that is.

also, should I get the Corvus Blackstar?

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Aight, as they instructions say it is. Thanks bromigos!

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Safety Factor posted:

Neither do Death Guard possessed. They also can't take chosen or havocs for some reason.

I do. I never did before, but GW's horrible new layout made me write all my points values in. They turned me into a monster. :negative:

Good luck when the points change!

adamantium|wang posted:

Yeah, looks like I'll just keep running my 30K dudes as regular SM

Just take a detachment from regular C: CSM if you're dying to take Havocs.etc. ?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

Good luck when the points change!
It's not like I can't edit them. :confused:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Safety Factor posted:

Seems like a lot of effort compared to "turn to page 90 for the one cost you can't remember" but it's your book, you do you.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Corrode posted:

Seems like a lot of effort compared to "turn to page 90 for the one cost you can't remember" but it's your book, you do you.

Your post seemed like a lot of effort over nothing.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

ijyt posted:

Your post seemed like a lot of effort over nothing.

So does your whole life m8

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Diaper devastation in the space barbie thread.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!

Corrode posted:

So does your whole life m8

Nice corrosive attitude.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

http://newsthump.com/2017/09/10/commuters-express-concern-as-thomas-the-tank-engine-falls-to-the-power-of-chaos/ :)

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Trains are the one unit type I feel is missing from Warhammer

When is Forge World gonna put out some trains

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

goose willis posted:

When is Forge World gonna put out some trains

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:

goose willis posted:

This hobby certainly needs more people on the spectrum.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Safety Factor posted:

Post-it notes, yo.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Zuul the Cat posted:

So, I worked out a trade deal and it looks like I'm going to have 27 Bikers and 10 Deathwatch Vanguard vets.

So, I guess I'm playing Deathwatch now? It works out, since I've started a small Inquisition force anyway.

Gotta figure out how many points that is.

also, should I get the Corvus Blackstar?

Yes, they're drat good.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

My body is ready

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Those Nurgle dice are going to look sick as hell with a thinned Tamaya clear red wash accentuating the pustules.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
The only thing those nurgle dice are good for is making it easier for panascope to make up what his rolls are

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
That's my biggest problem with GWs specialty dice. They look COOL, but in terms of usefulness in a game they're awful. I shouldn't have to spend more than an instant figuring out what facing is up. Dice with pips that are high contrast with the color of the die are best. No special symbols. No extra decor on the numbers. Plain and simple.

I mean sure, you're playing a 40k RPG and only rolling a few dice at a time, they're great and fun. But many times in 40k you're rolling over 20 dice at a time. Having tough to read dice slows the game down and allows for easier cheating.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

chutche2 posted:

The only thing those nurgle dice are good for is making it easier for panascope to make up what his rolls are

:yeah:

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
I think they will make decent counters (just wash the yellow parts so they are more visible) but the odds of them being remotely balanced are slim, so wont use em for rolls.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I'm gonna use them for rolls because any bad rolls they make will be indistinguishable to my rolls with regular dice :v:.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

What is that? I need it

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

It wasn't that hard and there's plenty of space in and around the unit entries. Most just get a simple "X points per model" above the unit entry and I might fill in some additional options if they're specific to the unit in question. The most complex are units like chaos terminators or plague marines. Or hive tyrants and tyranid warriors. Not like I'm writing every possible piece of wargear down, there's a generic list for that.

It's all in an effort to emulate the older format for ease of use/reference. The current points layout is hilariously incompetent and Power may as well be meaningless to me. Points provide needed context when I idly flip through a book.

DiHK posted:

Post-it notes, yo.
That sounds like a book would become a swollen, misshapen thing unfit for the eyes of man.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
But enough about your penis.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

But enough about your penis.
:negative:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ayn Marx posted:

What is that? I need it

It was a custom train that GW modeled for a diorama showing off the Battle of MacrAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE if I remember correctly.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Deathshrouds and AdMech preview up:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/09/10/codex-adeptus-mechanicus-and-deathshroud-terminators/

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

All the new Imperial and Chaos stuff is really cool but I'm kind of worried that there haven't been any mentions of Xenos yet

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

goose willis posted:

All the new Imperial and Chaos stuff is really cool but I'm kind of worried that there haven't been any mentions of Xenos yet

They announced Eldar and Nids a week ago.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

goose willis posted:

Uhh but you're wrong?

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/08/31/breaking-news-studio-preview-from-the-nova-open/ posted:

We also heard what the next three codexes will be following the release of Death Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus in September. Before the end of November, xenos fans will be pleased to see some of the galaxy’s alien races get their codexes for the new edition with Codex: Craftworlds and Codex: Tyranids, while Codex: Astra Militarum lets fans of the Imperium’s vast human armies create thematic armies from their favourite Regiment.

Yeah they haven't done a preview of them but they wouldn't be previewing them while there are codexes closer to being released that need to be previewed.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Oh poo poo I didn't even notice that

Nice

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Yeah. Honestly, replace Grey Knights with Orks and maybe Death Guard with Tau (although they'd need the starter set push) and this would've been my ideal codex setup for the first few releases.

Do DG Sorcerers still use Chaos spells, or are they converted over to the Plaguecaster set too?

Also, checking the preview, I'm guessing this means Deathshroud are a different kit from the other termies. Shame. A double kit option would've been neat.

The Bee fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 10, 2017

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

The Bee posted:

Yeah. Honestly, replace Grey Knights with Orks and maybe Death Guard with Tau (although they'd need the starter set push) and this would've been my ideal codex setup for the first few releases.

Do DG Sorcerors still use Chaos spells, or are they converted over to the Plaguecaster set too?

Also, checking the preview, I'm guessing this means Deathshroud are a different kit from the other termies. Shame. A double kit option would've been neat.

DG Sorcerers use the DG specific lore it seems, same with DG Daemon Princes.

Also judging from the pics we've seen, Deathshroud are much bigger lads than the Blightlord Termies. Though it would have been nice.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

SteelMentor posted:

DG Sorcerers use the DG specific lore it seems, same with DG Daemon Princes.

Also judging from the pics we've seen, Deathshroud are much bigger lads than the Blightlord Termies. Though it would have been nice.

Okay, good. So now Death Guard can't just stack 12 powers worth of psykers and end up with way more disciplines than any other mono-faction detachment.

I mean. I guess if you use an Index sorcerer you could get 9, since you'd have the three previous Chaos powers. But that's one thing really stupid about the "Indices and codices are both valid" idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Why is it that offensive powers generally end up being shittier versions of smite that just have some small targeting gimmick