Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
hahaha gently caress new west

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

namaste faggots posted:

Is anyone else stunned at how many g63s are on the road? I haven't even seen non amg gelandewagens in Vancouver

The majority of G-wagons sold in NA are the AMG variant. You might be surpised to learn that off-road capability is not what most buyers actually buy them for.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20151005/OEM04/310059968/g-class-gets-downsized-v-8-new-amg-version-for-2016

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
really what utility does a g63 provide

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/poppies-for-legions-the-real-moneys-in-real-estate/

quote:

Barham, a retired Tim Hortons franchisee with a salesman’s flair says he was first brought into 264’s leadership as a trustee, tasked with turning it around or shutting it. He believes most fellow legions are also sitting on their survival strategy: the prime land, usually downtown, upon which their leaky and underutilized buildings sit. Unlocking that value, Barham says, is the path forward for Royal Canadian Legions.

The alternative is gradual decline. Korean War and Second World War veterans are now in their 80s and 90s, while Afghanistan veterans have returned to a social network their combat predecessors never had: Facebook. The legion started this century boasting nearly 500,000 members at 1,600 local branches nationally; it now has just 275,000 members and 1,407 branches. Some national and provincial leaders now actively encourage troubled branches to amalgamate with healthier ones, and sell their buildings. Other branches are finding smaller or more affordable spaces. A handful are pairing with developers to build halls on a tower’s ground floor, and condos or seniors apartments above, including Cobourg and Port Dalhousie in Ontario, as well as Port Moody, B.C., whose condo/legion project sits near a Skytrain hub.

Legions across the country, many in squat 1950s or ‘60s brick buildings with insides that have hardly changed, are deciding how to cope with their infrastructure problems, says Brad White, national executive director. “They say: Do we really need a great, big building like that, when we had a population of maybe 1,000 veterans or members before, but we’re now at 200 or 100?” he says.

Other branches call No. 264 every week for advice about land sales and development (some have had development plans or sales fall through, or get vetoed by legion members; the Calgary branch was on its third developer before things clicked). Many are surviving just fine and don’t need an asset liquidation, while others sit on less valuable land, in towns with weaker real estate markets–certainly not the $10 million in Calgary land value that No. 264 occupied. In the future, legion branch health may be divided among property haves and have-nots.

In the mountain town of Canmore, Alta., a proposed development would give the branch a facility that’s modern, more reasonably sized than its current 10,000 square feet, and some sales income. “They’ll have a legion, plus investments that should take care of them for the rest of their days,” says branch president Darrel Jones.

At No. 264, change is bringing new members with its new look and sleek public restaurant. The old crowd doesn’t show up there; but it doesn’t show up that much to the member’s lounge upstairs, either. Members didn’t bring over the pool table or shuffleboard from the old hall, and have basically the same design as the modern eatery downstairs–and the same bill of fare, with a burger twice the price it used to be, grilled spring salmon instead of fish and chips, and pea-and-barley risotto on the menu where the baked macaroni with beef used to be. The place is too new to reek of fried food, and it likely never will.

“It doesn’t feel like a legion to me at all,” says a former RCAF pilot in his 80s, who doesn’t want his name used. Many of his fellow veterans now drink at other branches. His Thursday evening beer mate, a legion youngster in his mid-60s, has long liked No. 264 as a quiet place to drink and hear literal war stories. His wife would never accompany him to the old hall, he says; but this newfangled legion, sure.

ahhh my two favorite things real estate and the cf

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

namaste faggots posted:

really what utility does a g63 provide

It's narrow enough to fit in the back of a CH-53 where a HMMVW won't.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
lol a loving car guy

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/09/canadian-auto-sales-august-2017-industry-best-year-ever-record/

quote:

Canadian auto sales climbed to an all-time record high in 2013, jumping past the 1.7-million mark for the first time since 2002. The industry bettered that total in 2014, topped 2014’s total in 2015, and set a new record in 2016.

While U.S. auto sales continue to fall, sliding 2 percent in August and 3 percent through the first two-thirds of 2017, Canadian auto sales in August 2017 improved for a fourth consecutive month and the seventh month so far this year. Moreover, the improvements have been anything but modest. An 11-percent uptick in May was followed up by a 6-percent June increase, a 5-percent July increase, and a 7-percent August rise.

In fact, so strong are Canadian auto sales through the first two-thirds of 2017 that disaster would need to strike in the final four months of the year in order for 2017 not to be the best year ever for the Canadian auto industry.

Disaster appears unlikely.

it's a good thing salaries have been rising commensurate to

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

namaste faggots posted:

lol a loving car guy

If you mean the G-wagen generally, they are made in Austria by MagnaSteyr, which is owned by Frank Stronach, father of former Conservative/Liberal MP Belinda Stronach, thus fulfilling the Made in Canada requirement for CF procurment.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Throatwarbler posted:

If you mean the G-wagen generally, they are made in Austria by MagnaSteyr, which is owned by Frank Stronach, father of former Conservative/Liberal MP Belinda Stronach, thus fulfilling the Made in Canada requirement for CF procurment.

you autistic gently caress
you loving idiot
you loving moron

what is the loving utility of a 200k SUV

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

namaste faggots posted:

you loving idiot
you loving moron

It was a joke. I think something has to be made in Canada to count as made in Canada, and not just personally enrich the family of a leading politician. Probably.

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.
gently caress the g-wagon, I want the machines that are making them

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Better question is what are the finance terms on these things?

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

Better question is what are the finance terms on these things?

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/gl...rticle34346439/

quote:

March 2017 - Nearly three-quarters – 72 per cent – of new-vehicle loans taken out in Canada last year were for six years or longer, according to market research company J.D. Power.

To get a sense how much new vehicle financing with amortizations of five years and under has dropped and how much so-called "super-amortized" new vehicle loans have risen, consider the following data from J.D. Power.

From 2011 to 2016, seven-year vehicle loans, as a share of all new-vehicle loans issued, jumped to 44 per cent from 31.7 per cent. Eight-year loans? They rose to more than 10 per cent from 2.2 per cent.

Conversely, the good ol' five-year car loan dropped in share to 18.7 per cent from 29.9 per cent.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Canadian Surf Club posted:

gently caress the g-wagon, I want the machines that are making them

They are built by hand mostly. There isn't enough volume (probably less than 5,000 units per year) to make an automated production line worthwhile. Which is why build quality on them (and hand built cars in general) is pretty dire. Robots don't gently caress up and drop screws down door panels and so on.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Canadians can no longer afford to get on the Property Ladder so they're getting on the Truck Equity Ladder instead

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

vyelkin posted:

Canadians can no longer afford to get on the Property Ladder so they're getting on the Truck Equity Ladder instead

You know what they say, you can live in your car, you can't drive your house.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Oddly enough, I actually didn't know what a G63 was until I just googled it, and I live in the land of where rich wannabes go up to spend their money on long weekends to pretend they're "outdoorsy". I can now tell the difference between different years' models of X5s.

I guess all these peoples' money is going towards their car payment and they can't afford the gas to get up here.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
See, the x5 want expensive enough to signal wealth and success so everyone started stepping it up

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

But they haven't changed the look of the G-wagon for like 30 years and you can get the old lovely ones for nothing

How will people know you bought a new one at full retail and not a cheap used one?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
the rear end in a top hat that owns the coin laundry down the street has a gwagon. so does susur lee's spoiled kid who stole tips from all his restaurants to buy one

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Is the quote in the thread title from something.
Source please

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

shrike82 posted:

Source please

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3533827

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/stephaniefusco/status/906143235713757184

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

namaste faggots posted:

you loving idiot
you loving moron

Curb appeal. Gotta look good!

Also last I looked well over 50% of luxury brands are leases so it's not like anyone actually owns those vehicles.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

If you think that is fantastic, wait for the special assessment notice

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

shrike82 posted:

Source please

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Reading that OP really takes one back, you know?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Subjunctive posted:

Reading that OP really takes one back, you know?

Sure does, now I (literally, last night) dream about Toronto bungalows that cost 500k. :smithicide:

E: I should probably stop reading this thread if I'm loving dreaming about real estate, no joke.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.

Throatwarbler posted:

They are built by hand mostly. There isn't enough volume (probably less than 5,000 units per year) to make an automated production line worthwhile. Which is why build quality on them (and hand built cars in general) is pretty dire. Robots don't gently caress up and drop screws down door panels and so on.

Throatwarbler, thank you.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/scoopercooper/status/906204942641324032

Lol the alligator tears

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/ianjamesyoung70/status/905860645899313152

But these fine fuerdai pay us back in housing equity

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

This stupid country. We deserve what's coming to us.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
They are basically the arena version of immigrants, where eventually the wishful thinginknock on effects pay for themselves.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Ian Young is the best.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

ð’» 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®ð’ ð’¾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Extreme Vancouver alert

quote:

West Vancouver woman loses $275K deposit after backing out of Trump tower condo deal

A West Vancouver woman who changed her mind about buying a $2.75 million condo in Vancouver’s Trump Tower after signing the contract has been told by a judge she won’t be getting her deposit back.

Lydia May Chen, an ophthalmologist, sued the developer, West Georgia Development Ltd. Partnership, after the company refused to hand back her deposit of more than $275,000 when Chen reneged on the deal.

Chen’s lawyer made several arguments about why the real estate contract to buy a three-bedroom unit on one of the “exclusive levels” of the Trump International Hotel and Tower should be considered unenforceable, according to the judge’s decision.

But B.C. Supreme Court Justice Robert Sewell remained unconvinced.

According to court documents, Chen was living in a large house in West Vancouver’s British Properties when the Trump Tower development was being marketed. Chen thought it might make sense for her to move downtown.

“She was interested in the development because of the reputation of the defendant developer and because of its central location and spectacular views,” the judge wrote.

Chen attended a presentation by the developer’s sales agent on Nov. 2, 2013 and expressed interest in a condo on the “exclusive levels” of Trump Tower.

She returned with a bank draft for the deposit later the same day, reviewed the disclosure statement and signed the contract, according to the judge.

Some time later, Chen had second thoughts about the condo and did not make a required second deposit on the property. The developer then cancelled the deal.

In arguments about why the deal should be considered unenforceable, Chen’s lawyer said that not only was the developer required to give prospective purchasers a reasonable opportunity to read the disclosure statement, it must also give them “a reasonable opportunity to understand the disclosure statement.”

The judge didn’t agree.

“Whether a person has been given an opportunity to read a document is a relatively simple question of fact. However, whether a person has been given an adequate opportunity to understand a complex document involves a far more complex issue,” wrote Sewell. “If the legislature had intended to impose a requirement that a person understand a document it could have said so.”

The judge noted under the Real Estate Development Marketing Act, Chen had seven days after signing the contract during which she could have changed her decision.

http://www.nsnews.com/news/west-vancouver-woman-loses-275k-deposit-after-backing-out-of-trump-tower-condo-deal-1.22563432

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

quote:

Over lunch in a downtown restaurant, Beatrice, a New Yorker in her late 30s, told me about two decisions she and her husband were considering. They were thinking about where to buy a second home and whether their young children should go to private school. Then she made a confession: She took the price tags off her clothes so that her nanny would not see them. “I take the label off our six-dollar bread,” she said.

She did this, she explained, because she was uncomfortable with the inequality between herself and her nanny, a Latina immigrant. She had a household income of $250,000 and inherited wealth of several million dollars. Relative to the nanny, she told me, “The choices that I have are obscene. Six-dollar bread is obscene.”

What the Rich Won’t Tell You
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/08/opinion/sunday/what-the-rich-wont-tell-you.html

I'm posting this here because these thoughts and salaries literally don't exist in Vancouver

But the housing prices do

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
i buy six dollar bread at the farmers market i dont understand what the big deal is

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Yeah what is it six dollars a slice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Wonder bread in the us is like 2 bucks