Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
I do the same except reverse with ancient dangers.

Let caravan arrive, open up ancient danger, kite them into caravan.

instant wealth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
I traded about 20 boomrats to a caravan since they breed like god drat crazy. It should have been fine, but one of the pyromaniac visitors decided to start some fires, right on top of their boomrats. One explodes on top of the whole lot of them and they all instantly turn hostile to me (??). Somehow my well armed colonists were all in good positions to retreat to doors and between that and boomrats randomly exploding inside their group it turned out totally fine for me.

Good times.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Oh, that reminds me - I've been thinking of getting a few boomrats and letting them live and breed outside my walls. They can't start a colony killing fire, won't get killed by predators, and the jungle grass grows fast enough to support at least a few dozen... and when they hit high numbers with constant reproduction, they can be used to soften up incoming raids and light the ground on fire around them.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

RE Population: Time really IS the only factor. Anything else is just adding or removing time. If you're leaving after 2 years, no poo poo you don't get many colonists. It took me about 5 years before my 50 person colony started ramping up, and I only reached that number somewhere between 15 and 20 years in. And everything in this game is conditional. If your map has lots of buried uranium, it is super easy to use mods like EPOE to make god-colonists. If you have no plasteel/gold easily accessible, you might be stuck with pre-multi analyzer technology for a long time. (In my latest game I had to get plasteel and gold by melting down captured equipment in order to get enough to build a multi and research deep drilling.)

Coolguye posted:

IF you get the events, IF you get the prisoners, IF they are recruitable in a practical sense, IF you get the slavers (also, slave merchants are progressively less likely to carry colonists the further over the soft cap you are), there's a hundred and one conditions in your scenario here and you don't even seem to be aware of them. a fractional percentage means you need 200+ recruit attempts to get a success and he imposed cooldown on attempts means that this will take literal years, statistically. "It happens eventually" does not jive with the numbers here, which is the point. these games are serious anomalies and it consistently surprises me that this is what gets passed around.

So yes, conditions matter a lot in RimWorld. Ever notice that "intense" difficulty adds "and a dose of luck" to the requirements to survive? Furthermore, you're calling foul on people reporting their curated, exceptional successes? Are you mental? What do people post on Instagram? Their $0.00 bank statement or avocado and toast?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Warmachine posted:

So yes, conditions matter a lot in RimWorld. Ever notice that "intense" difficulty adds "and a dose of luck" to the requirements to survive? Furthermore, you're calling foul on people reporting their curated, exceptional successes? Are you mental? What do people post on Instagram? Their $0.00 bank statement or avocado and toast?
you are making a much larger deal about this than it actually is, chill yourself my guy. i don't remember 'calling foul' on anyone, just to start. i will leave you to ponder the other ways this goes off the rails.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

HelloSailorSign posted:

Oh, that reminds me - I've been thinking of getting a few boomrats and letting them live and breed outside my walls. They can't start a colony killing fire, won't get killed by predators, and the jungle grass grows fast enough to support at least a few dozen... and when they hit high numbers with constant reproduction, they can be used to soften up incoming raids and light the ground on fire around them.

Boom-fauna of whatever type deployed as semi-guided missiles are never not hilarious. Just don't try to train and Release them, I have no idea how that command actually works but everytime I've tried it, I get animals milling around their masters until someone takes enough damage that they all aggro. If we're talking Boomalopes especially, that's a pretty bad time.

Coolguye posted:

you are making a much larger deal about this than it actually is, chill yourself my guy. i don't remember 'calling foul' on anyone, just to start. i will leave you to ponder the other ways this goes off the rails.

I mean, minus whatever defensiveness or irritation Warmachine is expressing, it does sound a little fatuous to wonder aloud why everyone's top five most successful RimWorld playthroughs are exceptionally successful. Enough that I would make some kind of gently sardonic joke about it if I had been the first poster to catch it, not enough that I feel like you're accusing the other posters of either bad-faith story-posting or cheating.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

wait, since when is modding cheating

e: like seriously, attempting to point out that these games ARE exceptional and that the underlying mechanics try very hard to steer you AWAY from these situations for the not-too-uncommon newer person trucking through here doesn't seem out of line to me. like at all. i'll not make another post about it so the dumb slapfight stops so if someone wants to bitch me out and get the last word be my guest but seriously this is not something to get defensive about in the least.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Sep 10, 2017

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Uh, well, I guess I'd end up talking more about the colony I've sunk 20 hours+ into than the ones that never got named or the ones that died within 3 hours time.

It's like how I don't talk about the Stellaris games that I lose completely in my first baby space empire war, or really any other game I play where a play through is doomed from the start or ends early due to my failure. I just thought that was an assumed thing of reading about nerds playing a game that we'd skip the prologue entry of, "after 8 failed starts and one lost real life relationship I managed to tame the king thrumbo here is my story fellow goons."

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
The jungle outside is a seething mass of these terrifying murderous cassowary birds and they've nearly destroyed my solar array, please suggest bird genocide solutions for a small 4 man group of hapless meat popsicles!

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Can you pop out and light anything on fire that won't end up destroying all you know and love?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

rear end-Haggis posted:

The jungle outside is a seething mass of these terrifying murderous cassowary birds and they've nearly destroyed my solar array, please suggest bird genocide solutions for a small 4 man group of hapless meat popsicles!

Too late now, but for the future: I usually build walls around my power infrastructure to avoid, or at least delay these issues since raiders like to set windmills and solar panels on fire, too.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
It's been forever since this game updated. Did Tynan finally succumb to xenophobia?

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
the answer is always a panic stash of molotovs

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

packetmantis posted:

It's been forever since this game updated. Did Tynan finally succumb to xenophobia?
He posted on Twitter today.

https://twitter.com/TynanSylvester/status/906801178599493632

Two relevant tweets about content in A18:
https://twitter.com/TynanSylvester/status/899187869280907264
https://twitter.com/TynanSylvester/status/887481439645704192

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

New crop blight system eh? Interesting. Maybe we'll have to mitigate the spread of plant diseases through more, smaller growing zones, or walls and footwear sterilization devices or something.

Mass burning of corn wasted by a phage, potato famines, strawberry mites, who knows but it sounds like fun.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

A word of warning about geothermal generators: I built stone walls around my generators, with a door and no roof, and somehow the temperature got high enough to set the door on fire. So then I just made a wall with 1 open spot to repair the generator, and some raiders set it on fire. Since the wall was touching the generator, I could only fight the fire that was in front of that gap, and it spread over the whole thing. So now I tore down the whole wall, and I'm building it with a 1-block-wide gap between the wall and the generator, with a door and a vent.

How do you guys protect distant geothermal generators?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

use double thick walls and do not use a door at all. if you ever need to access the generator again you can just deconstruct a way in.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Also unroof a corner that isn't over top the generator and the temperature problems are no longer a thing. Pave that corner so you don't have errant plantlife living in your generator building.

Vents are too fragile to be part of a defensive wall, too.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

If you're going to use a door, make it out of stone for low use, fire proof, doors.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

A Moose posted:

A word of warning about geothermal generators: I built stone walls around my generators, with a door and no roof, and somehow the temperature got high enough to set the door on fire. So then I just made a wall with 1 open spot to repair the generator, and some raiders set it on fire. Since the wall was touching the generator, I could only fight the fire that was in front of that gap, and it spread over the whole thing. So now I tore down the whole wall, and I'm building it with a 1-block-wide gap between the wall and the generator, with a door and a vent.

Leave a hole in the roof directly above the vent, otherwise wall them in.

What temperature is your map?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I build a stone room around it with a stone door, that has worked fine so far. Nothing flammable means no fires.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Sage Grimm posted:

Also unroof a corner that isn't over top the generator and the temperature problems are no longer a thing. Pave that corner so you don't have errant plantlife living in your generator building.

Vents are too fragile to be part of a defensive wall, too.

Or just designate the whole thing a no-roof zone; that's what you have to do for solar panels and turbines anyway.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
of all the names to give your kid https://imgur.com/a/WurWk

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A Moose posted:

Build a 1 tile gap around the generator, use stone walls, leave the roof off.

I suspect if you walled it in completely, the game views the generator and the walls as being 100% solid and thus thinks you're pumping infinite temperature into an infinitely small space or something, leave a 1 tile gap between the jenny and the wall.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I've never had any of those issues, I double wall it with granite or something, mark the whole area as non-roof and give it two granite doors on the way in. Never had any of these problems as long as there was no roof. I did lose one to fires at some point, maybe a Zzzt or something I forget, so now the doors are not flush with the double walls they're out one tile to leave room for a firefoam popper.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Leave a hole in the roof directly above the vent, otherwise wall them in.

What temperature is your map?

My map is a temperate forest, and it was fall when this happened. I think what happened was that the wall was touching the generator, and there was a roof on top of the door.

Anyway, I have the game minimized and I hear a raid sound and get excited because I need more sacrifices. Its a manhunting tortoise. Gee, thanks Randy. I hope my 17 colonists can handle it!

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

My suicide squad is taking names and getting (us) paid, for a bunch of randoms I intended to send to their deaths they're really pulling their weight! They spend so much time together that the scythe blade cyborg and the minigun medic have fallen in love and are getting married, a colony first! Recently I had another random recruit, no convincing required she just walked into town naked and started helping herself to pants, with no skills of note other than an 8 in melee she's joining the squad as well. The squad is getting a little bit melee heavy now so I'm going to need to rethink the setup a little bit, throw out the minigun and the LMG for more assault rifles or a bolt action maybe?

My big road block right now is a total lack of uranium, it's keeping me from producing ship parts. I've seen none on my map so far, traders never carry it when I call and the Squad isn't spotting any in the field. I built the long range mineral scanner but apparently that only finds gold and jade, of which my colony is rich in.

I'm going to start sending traders out in pods to see if the neighbours can spare a cup of uranium, I tried once but over burdened the trader so he couldn't leave town to build the return launcher. Any tips for trade by pod? Or obtaining uranium in general?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I wonder if bugs would be less of an issue if they just caused a negative moodlet instead of being man-eating hellscarabs.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

lol, guess my tundra base will have to refuse any refugees during snow. Accepted one, they spawned on the edge of the map and crawled in the snow towards my base, the raiders spawned within gun range, shot her and knocked her out, then dragged her off the map and left. Now I am just left with a colonist died debuff.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
So, to the nerds, me included, who wanted z levels, how do you feel about cave biomes as a second generated map beneath yours? If z levels make things hard, why not simply have another, underground, map under your current one, of the same size, wherein if you dig down into it, and you move three tiles forward and you dig up (Ladder/upward sloping tunnel) you end up at the corresponding tile in the overworld?

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
They could be accessed by cave entrances in the overworld/underworld, or someone could build one as part of a siege or assault, and the player could collapse them to force the enemy to build their own, or whatever.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

LonsomeSon posted:

Boom-fauna of whatever type deployed as semi-guided missiles are never not hilarious. Just don't try to train and Release them, I have no idea how that command actually works but everytime I've tried it, I get animals milling around their masters until someone takes enough damage that they all aggro. If we're talking Boomalopes especially, that's a pretty bad time.

It's pretty fiddly but can be amazing if you can work it. Generally, I draft my animal handler, let the animals find them and mill around them like you described, then hit the release button. I've knocked out entire psychic ship crews this way.

Also to go back to the colonist numbers thing, I had nearly 40 on my vanilla 7-year A15 game. I'm patient when recruiting, will recruit anyone and had several big tribal raids that I smashed to pieces with mortars.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Manhunter pack of 40+ Dark Young :magical: Thank god for embrasures

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Danaru posted:

Manhunter pack of 40+ Dark Young :magical: Thank god for embrasures

This game is so funny because if someone just started it today and came to look at the thread for advice they'd have no idea what the gently caress you were talking about

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
I have like 200+ hours logged an I have no idea what the gently caress he's talking about

(I assume it's a mod)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Omniblivion posted:

I have like 200+ hours logged an I have no idea what the gently caress he's talking about

(I assume it's a mod)

two of them as a matter of fact

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Omniblivion posted:

(I assume it's a mod)

You aren't a real Goon if you don't know what Dark Young are! You probably don't even live in a basement or have Cheeto dust encrusting your various appendages. Embrasures are walls that you can shoot through. They are super cheaty and make base defense pretty much an afterthought, but some people like that.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
If you don't want to fight Dark Young packs you can ignore them like other packs. Might be different if they're manhunter but when I've had the strange creatures event that put a gigantic pile of them on the map they'll hunt down everything small on the map like raccoons and stuff then start to starve and eventually wander off and leave you alone. Just be sure there is no path to any of your pawns, once they're done with the local wildlife pawns become the next source of food until they leave the map. I tend to go all Dwarf Fortress and then fence in a huge area outside with wood walls to keep random carnivores off of my chickens and stuff. Usually I just have to forbid a wood door or two leading into my semi-secure outer grazing area and that's it for that event.

Unless you want to kill them. Their hide makes some really good clothing as far as protection goes. I instantly haul all of the meat to a dumping storage space away from my colony as I don't like to deal with the insanity loss, especially on pets. Never let it happen, don't know what it does. Might even be a good thing to let happen or something, I don't know. I just treat it like all of the recreational drugs and don't let it happen.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
The real question is can you use the manhunter artifact on Dark Young when you're getting raided.

Because it works with boomalopes and it is loving hilariously effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Yeah sorry, Dark Young are from the Cthulhu mod. they look like this

Fortunately the embrasures confused them enough that they got distracted and stopped the door long enough to repair it whenever it got bad :v: I'm turning them into chemfuel and pants