Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So there was a follow-up article to that Cuphead video that was posted earlier that provides some context.

I thought it was a funny thing to watch and goof on one afternoon; of course I should have expected that some people would use it as an opportunity to open up another front in the idiot wars and start sending death threats

Leave it to the internet to ruin the simple joys of laughing at a guy for sucking at a game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

dogsicle posted:

i think she has won every single US splatfest so far and it's awful

Trash Queen Pearl is the best though

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

The rest of the article is pretty good!

Also Pearl is good and strong and my friend

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

do they really call mcdonalds fries mcpotato

Judging by the label under the picture, they call it McFrypotato.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0ygKuzB9UA

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I said come in! posted:

This turned out to not be an actual difficulty setting. Cartman explains that it doesn't really make the game more difficult "just the rest of life in general."

exquisite tea posted:

Now I'm disappointed.

:same:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So there was a follow-up article to that Cuphead video that was posted earlier that provides some context.

I thought it was a funny thing to watch and goof on one afternoon; of course I should have expected that some people would use it as an opportunity to open up another front in the idiot wars and start sending death threats

I never understood why people get so mad at someone being bad at a video game.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 10, 2017

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Unfunny Poster posted:

Counterpoint: DSP

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It reminds me of trying to teach my mum to play Sonic.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

yeah i can see that but for some reason i always imagined him as a femdom kinda guy

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Unfunny Poster posted:

:same:

I get frustrated watching someone be bad at platformer games I've played, but on the other hand, I haven't played Cuphead so for all I know the controls could just feel like dogshit and that guy just couldn't make the moves work for him.

It did escalate from "haha look at this guy failing at platforming" to "I want to actually murder this guy" really quickly though.

Also related TB of course went on an Old Man Yelling At Cloud rant about it which somehow relates to the left calling the right nazis??

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The appropriate reaction to DSP is pointing and laughing, not getting mad

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

How did this guy completely miss out on the Polygon Doom scandal?

He's acting SO surprised about all of this. "What? I posted video of an un-released game being played badly and people are upset? HUUUUH?"

Like if you're a "games journalist" maybe pay attention to things that happen in games journalism??

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Macaluso posted:

I get frustrated watching someone be bad at platformer games I've played, but on the other hand, I haven't played Cuphead so for all I know the controls could just feel like dogshit and that guy just couldn't make the moves work for him.

It did escalate from "haha look at this guy failing at platforming" to "I want to actually murder this guy" really quickly though.

Also related TB of course went on an Old Man Yelling At Cloud rant about it which somehow relates to the left calling the right nazis??

totalbiscuit is a dumbass

anyway the cuphead video was astounding just for a complete lack of competence at comprehending basic level design concepts but it's insane that the guy got death threats for it

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 10, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
This guy wrote a 500 word diatribe on "youtube comments were mean to me"

Like grow the hell up, dude. Of course they were! Its loving youtube!

Was this guy born yesterday? Its 2017! Who still reads youtube comments! This guys is just making himself out as a victim in any way possible to cover his shame. "Waaaah; the internet was so mean!"

If youtube comments ruin your day, you really shouldn't have a job involved in the internet. Or anything public.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just walk away from the screen

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Was this guy born yesterday? Its 2017! Who still reads youtube comments! This guys is just making himself out as a victim in any way possible to cover his shame. "Waaaah; the internet was so mean!"

If youtube comments ruin your day, you really shouldn't have a job involved in the internet. Or anything public.

idk dude, the article seems fine and does address a point about elitism that is worth being made

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS3CrLG8dEg

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm the person who gets mad that people aren't as good at video games as I am.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Just walk away from the screen

https://twitter.com/tylerthecreator/status/285670822264307712

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

why are you stanning for people that sent racist death threats to a guy for being bad at a video game

why is this the hill you want to die on

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dont you have a rally in charlottesville to be getting to

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

why are you stanning for people that sent racist death threats to a guy for being bad at a video game

why is this the hill you want to die on

Hey if you actually read the article 'death threats' were never even mentioned.

Its just a guy who posted a bad youtube video and overreacted that people called him bad at videogames. Grow up.

There's one tweet saying "i'm gonna smash you in the face" and goons say that poo poo all the time. Zero death threats mentioned in the entire article. You made that poo poo up jabroni.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

we live in a society that is increasingly connected by the internet and is increasingly linking the internet to real life. the internet isn't some fake dimension where nothing happens anymore, it is real life. presidential elections, wars, the decisions of high-ranking government officials, murder, are all influenced and in some cases even caused by things that happen on the internet. most people use their real name and real photograph to represent themselves on the internet. there are a ton of jobs that require directly engaging with the internet, including that guy's. you can't just 'walk away' from twitter death threats when part of your job description is being active on the internet.

Zaphod42 posted:

Hey if you actually read the article 'death threats' were never even mentioned.

quote:

I should kill myself.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
idk... i'm a hermit even online so i barely watch the content producers i actually do like/know, but part of me feels as if... why get so worked up about dumb internet people whose actions aren't affecting your livelihoods? they don't know you exist, and you sure as hell don't know them in person. what have they done to slight you personally? yeah, quote his screed about having an iq of 256 or whatever 'cause it's funny, but beyond that, who gives a poo poo? some people get so worked up you'd think angry internet man broke into their house, kidnapped their dog, and made a video about that

in the end my opinion of internet celebrities and all they do is, ultimately, :shrug:

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 10, 2017

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Endorph posted:

Did you really just call some one you disagree with about video games a nazi that quickly?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this guy's encounter didn't get that extreme, but imagine having your real address posted alongside thousands of threats to rape you because you said a video game was mildly sexist. your real address. your real name. your photo. the names of your family. thousands of threats to rape you.

how is cyberbullying real just walk away lmao

BexGu posted:

Did you really just call some one you disagree with about video games a nazi that quickly?
i mean he's either a nazi or defending internet nazis

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

I disagree so you're a nazi

That's horseshit and you know it.

Endorph posted:

we live in a society that is increasingly connected by the internet and is increasingly linking the internet to real life. the internet isn't some fake dimension where nothing happens anymore, it is real life. presidential elections, wars, the decisions of high-ranking government officials, murder, are all influenced and in some cases even caused by things that happen on the internet. most people use their real name and real photograph to represent themselves on the internet. there are a ton of jobs that require directly engaging with the internet, including that guy's. you can't just 'walk away' from twitter death threats when part of your job description is being active on the internet.

No poo poo, but the internet is also full of trolls and just because somebody said something mean to you on twitter doesn't mean you need to call the FBI. The vast majority of the time it isn't even being posted in earnest, its just trolling. You can ignore people giving you poo poo on twitter, and you have to. Nobody responds to every angry post on twitter, or youtube. There's no time. So you choose to engage with a few and ignore the rest, which is just silly.

I never said death threats were cool, stop putting words in my mouth. That's total bullshit. I'm absolutely against violence. If you get serious credible death threats then you have to contact the police.
But you can criticize the video or the journalist without making death threats and that is totally fair to do. If you post a video on youtube expect people to tell you that you're awful. Expect it.

If his article was "I got some death threats and that's not cool" then yeah we agree. But it goes way past that.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 10, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

even if you ignore the dumb threats you get on twitter, getting hundreds of messages about how you're worthless/should kill yourself mixed in with some racism is not nice. it is bad. it makes you feel bad. no matter how you try to say 'laugh it off' or 'ignore it,' you still have to acknowledge the fact that you are getting hundreds of those messages, which is bad.

and you say 'call the cops' like the cops actually do anything about anything like this no matter how bad it gets.

what is even your point here? 'everyone should be getting death threats?' 'being yelled at on the internet for literally nothing is extremely cool?' how does it go 'way past that?' dude just regrets giving the gamergate types more ammo to feed off of that'll probably be funneled into ruining some woman's life.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm going to take the controversial stance that sending death or rape threats to anyone for any reason is bad.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

chumbler posted:

I'm going to take the controversial stance that sending death or rape threats to anyone for any reason is bad.

the irony of tb getting rear end cancer after his go-to insult was "i hope you get cancer and die" is not lost on me but cancer is awful and also please don't tell people to kill themselves

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I'm glad I wore my bunny ears for this cutscene.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

even if you ignore the dumb threats you get on twitter, getting hundreds of messages about how you're worthless/should kill yourself mixed in with some racism is not nice. it is bad. it makes you feel bad. no matter how you try to say 'laugh it off' or 'ignore it,' you still have to acknowledge the fact that you are getting hundreds of those messages, which is bad.

Of course it isn't nice. Racism isn't nice. Sexism isn't nice. No poo poo? Welcome to planet Earth.

Endorph posted:

and you say 'call the cops' like the cops actually do anything about anything like this no matter how bad it gets.

So ... we should all post about it on the internet? Because that'll do things?

No, if there's a serious threat that's what you do. The cops do actually do things sometimes. Other times the business you work for can hire a security detail. You don't fight death threats with more twitter posts.

Endorph posted:

what is even your point here? 'everyone should be getting death threats?' 'being yelled at on the internet for literally nothing is extremely cool?' how does it go 'way past that?' dude just regrets giving the gamergate types more ammo to feed off of that'll probably be funneled into ruining some woman's life.

Of course loving not.
Maybe if you'd try to have a conversation instead of jumping to conclusions and labeling me a nazi :rolleyes:

"Have fun at charlottesville rear end in a top hat!"
"...."
"Hey I don't get what it is you're saying!"

Like lmao dude, of course you don't understand. If you just wanna be angry and attack some non-existent gamergate strawman, have fun I guess...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I forget which video game site had it, but it was pretty sobering to look at their "Guide to Video Game Twitter" from 2010 and comparing it to one from this year. Back then it was all "Here are some fun accounts to follow with funny jokes :) " and now half of it is devoted to self-defense in dealing with trolls, harassment, doxxing, and maintaining psychological stability

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Other times the business you work for can hire a security detail.

It's more likely that they'll fire you for being a hassle

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

I never said death threats were cool, stop putting words in my mouth. That's total bullshit. I'm absolutely against violence.

Endorph posted:

what is even your point here? 'everyone should be getting death threats?'

Yep that's what I said.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Of course it isn't nice. Racism isn't nice. Sexism isn't nice. No poo poo? Welcome to planet Earth
I have literally had a friend's life get uprooted because of her getting sent seventy million rape threats because she said a video game was bad, gently caress off

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Andrast posted:

It's more likely that they'll fire you for being a hassle

It depends upon if the job requires you to do something public. Journalists not so much.

Although 'game journalists' maybe, since its not the most professional industry.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Endorph posted:

:yikes:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

*posts name of your child and a picture of their face and where they go to school with descriptive threats to rape her because you said grand theft auto 5 was sexist and weird*
*cops refuse to do anything*
'wow, maybe just walk away from the screen? welcome to the internet, heh. :smug:'

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

This thread is too real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

This thread is too real
this thread isnt real

• Locked thread