Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Xguard86 posted:

+1.

On the topic of project managers:

I've noticed "project manager" gets used as a general job title on general business reports (job aptitude, employment #s etc.) but it seems like the title is so broad, its practically meaningless.

There are project managers in many different fields. For example, construction and technology. Is there really enough similarity to change industries, or even report on as one bucket?

Obviously there are going to be industry specific skills. Directing IT projects isn't the same as directing construction projects. But it's a lot closer than the difference between programming and plumbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Are there 40-hour courses that might be worthwhile for project management? Regardless of where I end up, I figure that can't be a bad thing to pick up.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

A month and a half back, I left a job that was bad for me mentally and physically, with no replacement lined up (foolish, but the position had a 3-month notice period, and no employer was realistically going to wait 3 months for a candidate to resign, so I had to make the leap). I'm applying for new positions now, but am technically unemployed.

However, my old job keeps pestering me to come back and contract for them. I know that if I do, I'll likely fall back into the hole that I've just crawled out of, but at the same time, income is income.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? What did you do? Is it worth going back for the money and risking going back to what made me miserable, or should I keep it a clean break and just knuckle down?

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Muta's Mating Dance Rates a 5 on the Muta Scale
So currently, I'm working as a might auditor for a hotel, which I have been doing for roughly one and a half years full time. I feel it's time to move on, but the problem is, I don't really know what to apply for. I would love to work in something in the creative field, as that is what I went to school for, but I got this job just so I had an income. I ended up being stuck doing it for a lot longer than most people usually do.

Mostly I'm asking two opposing questions: what are some positions a night auditor would be a good thing to have on a resume; and if I were to start up a new career path (as I would like to work in the audio/video field), are there some ways I could explain the few years I've been outside of the loop, working jobs like this and retail?

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I'm sorry to see this thread peter out, I like reading it.

I don't really know the nature of the work, but getting that income seems like a big deal. If you're contracting out, you'd have more flexibility, right? And you'd be closing a gap on your resume. idk, I would try to put up with it while you can and keep searching for a better opportunity while cashing their checks.

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

So currently, I'm working as a might auditor for a hotel, which I have been doing for roughly one and a half years full time. I feel it's time to move on, but the problem is, I don't really know what to apply for. I would love to work in something in the creative field, as that is what I went to school for, but I got this job just so I had an income. I ended up being stuck doing it for a lot longer than most people usually do.

Mostly I'm asking two opposing questions: what are some positions a night auditor would be a good thing to have on a resume; and if I were to start up a new career path (as I would like to work in the audio/video field), are there some ways I could explain the few years I've been outside of the loop, working jobs like this and retail?

Is there any way for you to begin doing some audio/video work on the side? Could you help capture or edit footage for somebody working on commercials?

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

Brain In A Jar posted:

A month and a half back, I left a job that was bad for me mentally and physically, with no replacement lined up (foolish, but the position had a 3-month notice period, and no employer was realistically going to wait 3 months for a candidate to resign, so I had to make the leap). I'm applying for new positions now, but am technically unemployed.

However, my old job keeps pestering me to come back and contract for them. I know that if I do, I'll likely fall back into the hole that I've just crawled out of, but at the same time, income is income.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? What did you do? Is it worth going back for the money and risking going back to what made me miserable, or should I keep it a clean break and just knuckle down?

How bad for you mentally and physically? Bad as in "my colleague says snide things and I have to stand all day so my back aches," or bad as in "I am literally screamed at for hours a day and beaten with computer equipment"? Because if it's closer the former then you need to buck up. If it's closer to the latter then you need to evaluate your safety net (family/friends/govt) because literally nothing is more important than your health. Only you can balance it with the fact that money can't buy happiness, but a lack of it can certainly take it away too due the whole being-too-poor-to-afford-rent thing.

In terms of going back to them, don't think of your employer as an ex where crawling back is some slippery slope or moral quandary. You can provide them services and they can pay you, and for what it's worth you should be paid more as a contractor. The fact that they keep pestering you certainly indicates they'd be willing to do so.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

USDA Choice posted:

How bad for you mentally and physically? Bad as in "my colleague says snide things and I have to stand all day so my back aches," or bad as in "I am literally screamed at for hours a day and beaten with computer equipment"? Because if it's closer the former then you need to buck up. If it's closer to the latter then you need to evaluate your safety net (family/friends/govt) because literally nothing is more important than your health. Only you can balance it with the fact that money can't buy happiness, but a lack of it can certainly take it away too due the whole being-too-poor-to-afford-rent thing.

In terms of going back to them, don't think of your employer as an ex where crawling back is some slippery slope or moral quandary. You can provide them services and they can pay you, and for what it's worth you should be paid more as a contractor. The fact that they keep pestering you certainly indicates they'd be willing to do so.

It was a high-stress job with an obligation to work long hours, with little or no recognition for the work I did, or respect from the management at all. In the ~2 years since starting the role I put on 45lbs, and basically had so little free time that I ended up becoming a shut-in when I wasn't at the office, because I just wanted and needed some time to myself.

In the end, I resisted contracting back to them. In talking to a couple of ex-employees that I still keep in touch with (and even one or two of the current ones) they completely agreed that as much as the company promised things would be different, it would have been exactly the same as the conditions that caused me to leave.

As much as it cut into my savings, I think it was a good call – I've now landed a new job in a new city, had a couple of months to reconnect with family and recognise some of my own issues, and to get a bit of a break before hopefully moving into a new environment and getting out of the rut that job put me in. I totally recognise that I was privileged in being able to build up so much of a savings cushion, but I had spent all that time thinking "if I don't quit this job, I'm going to have a breakdown". I kind of still had the breakdown anyway, but at least I was able to do it on my terms.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
What's the prospect of having a semi-useless degree (Visual Arts), having 3 years of restaurant grunt work, and wanting to transition into something financially stable? My interest is going into either a data entry field or IT based field.

zaepg fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Sep 10, 2017

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

zaepg posted:

What's the prospect of having a semi-useless degree (Visual Arts), having 3 years of restaurant grunt work, and wanting to transition into something financially stable? My interest is going into either a data entry field or IT based field.

IT is pretty varied so it kinda depends on what you want to do.

Easiest way to get your foot in the door is getting the CompTIA A+ certification which you can get by self study. After that you can do another intro cert like Network+ or Security+ or already start working to a more specialized certification. That could be Cisco CCNA for networking, RHCSA for Linux or and Microsoft exam for windows.

It helps to have some sort of an idea what you'd like but it's easy to switch in the beginning and not that difficult later on in your career.

Welcome to GBS
Feb 26, 2011

Last week I was offered my first salary position doing marketing for a fairly big construction company. This was a big step for me, as I've been working in a boat yard for the past year and a half (essentially since I graduated from school). Everything was lined up, the plan was that I would start on Monday (tomorrow), but as I got home from my last day at the boatyard, where we had made a pretty big deal of my exit (my boss and coworkers were very happy for me), I got a call from my new prospective boss telling me I had failed the required drug test as I had come up positive for marijuana. They rescinded the offer immediately and told me there was no no avenue forward for working with them. for reference, I live in Eugene, Oregon, where weed is not only legal but a pretty big part of our culture. I began smoking after high school and it nearly immediately solved my terrible insomnia problems, as well as had positive effects on my lifestyle. While I am not a registered medical patient, I am not what most people think of when they think of a stoner. I'm organized and a hard worker, most people are shocked when they find out how often I smoke. Obviously, when they first informed me that there would be drug testing (there was no mention of it until they offered me the job), I knew this might be a problem. I began the process of clearing my system (with water, exercise and eventually a 'cleansing' drink). When they sent me the email saying 'you've been confirmed by the drug testing company, we'll send you all the new hire information soon.' I was elated, and obviously began to tell friends and family of this big step for my career. I posted on facebook, and over 100 people reacted and commented to congratulate me. I had to delete the post in embarrassment when I found out. I was still getting compliments and praise after I had received the call. It hurt too much. It still does.

So here I am, arguably in a worse spot than I was before. I still haven't told my old boss that I did not end up passing my drug test, and would like to come back for the time being (it's about to be our busy season, so I don't think this will be an issue). I submitted a few resumes on Friday, hoping to get right back into the hiring process. But high quality jobs in this area do not come up often, and it's even rarer to find jobs in which I am a good fit. I had originally planned to move to a bigger city where there would be more options for me, but I am tied to this area pretty heavily because of family and a serious girlfriend.

But the idea of going back to hard labor work when I was so close to a desk job makes me nearly sick. I've been trying to get to this point for 7 years now, and I simply haven't gotten a break. I know I'll succeed when I get there, but I simply have a really hard time getting in the door.

tldr; I blew what felt like a dream job because of my pot habit. Looking for advice on the next steps. Maybe this seems like a mopey post, but I am really pretty upset (though I'm feeling better due to awesome support from my girlfriend). If anyone can help me, I know it's you goons. Either way it felt good to write it all up.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

That sucks. If it makes you feel any better, they're probably less than thrilled about losing out on a good hire because of their drug testing policy. As I understand it, insurance companies will charge lower premiums to workplaces that are designated drug free, so it might not even be something they want to do.

Welcome to GBS
Feb 26, 2011

Yeah, I don't think they are happy about it either. It sounds like it's only an issue because they get federal contracts, and weed is still schedule 1 (thanks obama for not taking care of that).

I sent them an email essentially suggesting they hire me as a contractor, which I'm sure wouldn't be ideal but I'm hoping they go for it. I don't think they had a lot of candidates and I think their odds of finding a decent creative person in oregon that doesn't smoke pot is pretty slim to none.

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

Next time just use synthetic urine, it works like a charm. I used Quick Fix once when I was surprised with a drug test and while it was nerve-wracking for me personally, the whole thing went smoothly and it was still better than not smoking weed for 4+ weeks.

I agree it's ridiculous that west coast companies drug test. I think it's more common in the medical and construction industries, since they don't want to discriminate between office workers and everyone else. In tech, I think most don't drug test. I'm also pretty sure that in CA and OR there are laws that don't allow your employer to randomly drug test you at all once you're hired (exception is for people who drive forklifts, etc.).

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

dead lettuce posted:

I think it's more common in the medical and construction industries, since they don't want to discriminate between office workers and everyone else.

The problem is that office workers/salaried staff are a lot more likely to be white than the other employees, and the DoJ takes a very dim view on anything that looks like racial discrimination, regardless of the intentions.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

your "hire me as a contractor" is a pretty good spin and I hope you highlighted the benefits to them. I really hope that works for you.

Also, in case you weren't thinking about it, don't tell people you didn't get the job because of the drug screening thing. Don't know if you need to be told that.

dead lettuce posted:

Next time just use synthetic urine, it works like a charm. I used Quick Fix

I have never heard of this before and it is fascinating.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Big firm construction industry is pretty strict for all the reasons other people mentioned. You may not be operating heavy equipment, but a lot of employees are, and it'd be a conspicuous double standard to drug test some employees and not others (even though it would probably make sense).

It probably would have been good to understand that going in, though. It would have saved you a lot of pain and annoyance.

Welcome to GBS
Feb 26, 2011

N. Senada posted:

your "hire me as a contractor" is a pretty good spin and I hope you highlighted the benefits to them. I really hope that works for you.

Also, in case you weren't thinking about it, don't tell people you didn't get the job because of the drug screening thing. Don't know if you need to be told that.

Thanks, I'm glad to hear that it doesn't seem completely impossible. I sent them a brief email about it, basically saying I was really interested in the work they had for me, and allowing me to work outside of their umbrella would require way less investment from them.

I assume you mean in a professional setting? I kind of figured that, but I have told my family and friends the truth. I just deleted the facebook post, no need to broadcast that, I figure. I'm just going to be getting congratulations for a while, which is gonna hurt, especially at least until I find a new gig.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

So, back in April, I graduated from my 2 year Digital Media and IT program where I got a web design diploma. After applying to many jobs over the summer, with only a couple interviews, I still don't have a job in my field. I did get hired as a seasonal employee at a tech store, but I absolutely detest retail. I went back to school and spent all my savings in order to escape retail, so this has been super depressing for me. I've been having mini anxiety attacks before work and being on my feet just exhausts me.

Is there anything I can do? I'm thinking of emailing one of my old instructors that I had a good rapport with and seeing if he has any advice for me. Back in April, all my instructors were very confidant that I would have no trouble finding a good job.

Are there other jobs I could look into? I've tried freelancing, but haven't had anything beyond making a decal for my cousin and a logo and business card for a friend. I guess I don't really know how to advertise myself.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I would reach out to your instructors and let them know you're looking for help.

Have you given any thought to doing some contract/volunteer work with a non-profit? A lot of those organizations cannot afford to get a proper IT or web designer on staff. You could maybe build up a portfolio that way. You could even offer a certain level of assistance for free and then offer them a more elaborate service at a cost.

And if you haven't already, you should probably make your own website to highlight what you can do.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

The answer to that question is almost always to: A) flesh out your portfolio with more/better work, and B) try to meet people in the industry so you can get a referral or at least a heads up when there's a job opening in their business. I remember you posting in some CC threads and I think I gave you similar advice then.

While they're better to have than not, degrees don't count for a whole lot in the eyes of hiring managers in this field. Without work experience in design (or other job experience you can spin to sound similar – focus on your ability to meet deadlines) your work is the one thing that sells you. If you're not networking at all you're putting yourself at an absolutely massive disadvantage because now you're in a horse race with probably hundreds of other applicants submitting the same sort of portfolio and cover letter you are. Design is subjective, and if the person hiring happens to like that one funny website with the cute icons in person 126's portfolio, you might get overlooked.

Also, what type of job are you looking for? Digital Media and IT are two incredibly different fields. I have a hard time believing you're going to find a job doing both.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

N. Senada posted:

I would reach out to your instructors and let them know you're looking for help.

Have you given any thought to doing some contract/volunteer work with a non-profit? A lot of those organizations cannot afford to get a proper IT or web designer on staff. You could maybe build up a portfolio that way. You could even offer a certain level of assistance for free and then offer them a more elaborate service at a cost.

And if you haven't already, you should probably make your own website to highlight what you can do.

I recently applied for a part time, temporary position with a non-profit that was willing to hire new grads and current students, but I didn't even get an interview. The posting said which date they would be picking their candidate. They requested portfolio samples and I sent in what I felt was my best work, but I guess it still wasn't good enough. I will try reaching out to other non-profits as well.

I do have a website, but I am currently not linking to it in my job submissions, as I feel it needs an overhaul. I need to rethink which projects I am displaying. I am going to show fewer of them with more detail and process work. I currently am using my carbonnade portfolio to show to employers, as I can rearrange my work very easily on there.

kedo posted:

The answer to that question is almost always to: A) flesh out your portfolio with more/better work, and B) try to meet people in the industry so you can get a referral or at least a heads up when there's a job opening in their business. I remember you posting in some CC threads and I think I gave you similar advice then.

While they're better to have than not, degrees don't count for a whole lot in the eyes of hiring managers in this field. Without work experience in design (or other job experience you can spin to sound similar – focus on your ability to meet deadlines) your work is the one thing that sells you. If you're not networking at all you're putting yourself at an absolutely massive disadvantage because now you're in a horse race with probably hundreds of other applicants submitting the same sort of portfolio and cover letter you are. Design is subjective, and if the person hiring happens to like that one funny website with the cute icons in person 126's portfolio, you might get overlooked.

Also, what type of job are you looking for? Digital Media and IT are two incredibly different fields. I have a hard time believing you're going to find a job doing both.

Maybe I just don't know how to network properly? I've tried participating on LinkedIn, but there's not a whole lot I can comment on. I have even reached out to local design studios that aren't hiring right now, but have hired students from my program in the past, but I have received zero response. I also reached out to a designer friend of mine, whose advice was to just "keep trying" because it's a very difficult industry to get into.

My other job experience is in comic flatting, comic colouring and retail. With the comic stuff, I've been working with Photoshop professionally since 2005 and have experience meeting deadlines. I also took a print design class 10 years ago, so I have more experience with InDesign and Illustrator than most of the classmates that I recently graduated with.

I'm looking for work in graphic design, which frequently requires web design experience, so now I know HTML, CSS and some JavaScript. That stuff is frequently on an employer's requirement list as "must have", or "would be really nice to have". My goal is to someday be an art director, but that's looking an awful lot like a pipe dream right now.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Nessa posted:

Maybe I just don't know how to network properly? I've tried participating on LinkedIn, but there's not a whole lot I can comment on. I have even reached out to local design studios that aren't hiring right now, but have hired students from my program in the past, but I have received zero response. I also reached out to a designer friend of mine, whose advice was to just "keep trying" because it's a very difficult industry to get into.

What I really mean is meet with people. Take your designer friend out for lunch and ask them about how they go their job. Go to design-focused networking events in your city (there are probably some unless you're in a real small town, in which case you may have a tough time finding a gig in this industry), and talk to as many people as possible. Follow up with those who seem nice or interesting and take them out for coffee. Find a local design studio whose work you like, see if they're doing any speeches or events or whatever and go to the events so you can meet the studio heads.

Networking is somewhere in between work and dating. Your end goal is to meet enough people and form relationships with them so that when a new job pops up they think, "Oh, Nessa was interested in a job just like this, maybe I should put in a good word." It's by no means an easy or fast process. LinkedIn is a networking tool (and a fairly shallow one at that, imo of course), but it's not networking in and of itself.

See if there's an AIGA chapter in your area and join the board, or go to meetups for designers. Anecdotally I know a couple of young designers who went the AIGA route and within a few months had a pretty good first job. Design is an insular community, so you need to find a way to get a foothold on the inside. The easiest way involves meeting people, (not applying for random jobs), and honestly a job you get through networking will probably be better than one you got by sending an application out of the blue.

In the mean time, keep working on your portfolio.

Nessa posted:

I'm looking for work in graphic design, which frequently requires web design experience, so now I know HTML, CSS and some JavaScript. That stuff is frequently on an employer's requirement list as "must have", or "would be really nice to have". My goal is to someday be an art director, but that's looking an awful lot like a pipe dream right now.

My recommendation would be to specialize a bit. If you want to do web design, throw yourself into it (there are a lot of positions and money to be had in that industry). If you want to do print/collateral work, do that. Visual branding, do that. There are few designers who can make a living doing a little bit of everything, and they tend to be fairly senior in their careers.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I agree with the poster above. LinkedIn is not related to network in any way, shape or form. You need to be meeting with people face-to-face.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

kedo posted:

What I really mean is meet with people. Take your designer friend out for lunch and ask them about how they go their job. Go to design-focused networking events in your city (there are probably some unless you're in a real small town, in which case you may have a tough time finding a gig in this industry), and talk to as many people as possible. Follow up with those who seem nice or interesting and take them out for coffee. Find a local design studio whose work you like, see if they're doing any speeches or events or whatever and go to the events so you can meet the studio heads.

Networking is somewhere in between work and dating. Your end goal is to meet enough people and form relationships with them so that when a new job pops up they think, "Oh, Nessa was interested in a job just like this, maybe I should put in a good word." It's by no means an easy or fast process. LinkedIn is a networking tool (and a fairly shallow one at that, imo of course), but it's not networking in and of itself.

See if there's an AIGA chapter in your area and join the board, or go to meetups for designers. Anecdotally I know a couple of young designers who went the AIGA route and within a few months had a pretty good first job. Design is an insular community, so you need to find a way to get a foothold on the inside. The easiest way involves meeting people, (not applying for random jobs), and honestly a job you get through networking will probably be better than one you got by sending an application out of the blue.

In the mean time, keep working on your portfolio.

My recommendation would be to specialize a bit. If you want to do web design, throw yourself into it (there are a lot of positions and money to be had in that industry). If you want to do print/collateral work, do that. Visual branding, do that. There are few designers who can make a living doing a little bit of everything, and they tend to be fairly senior in their careers.

Okay, I see what you mean. I'll reach out to some other designers I know and try to meet up for coffee. I looked it up, and there are no AIGA chapters in my city and absolutely no Graphic Design or Web Design meetups. Would it be a good idea to start one maybe?

I absolutely love doing visual branding. It was my favourite part of my art direction and visual communication classes.

I just sent off an email to one of my instructors and one to a local non profit where I once took an illustration class, offering my services for cheap. I'll send more to some other non profits when I have more time later today,

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Starting a meetup might be a good idea, but starting an AIGA chapter is a lot of work to take on by yourself. What size of a city are you in?

If you like visual branding, I'd say focus on that and drive your portfolio in that direction. It's definitely a fun and lucrative part of the industry, and it can also provide you with a great way to build up a body of work even if you don't have real projects to work on. Try making some faux brand packages for fictitious or real companies. Include a visual brand (logomarks, color palettes and typography) and 5-10 collateral pieces to go with it. The Brand New blog is a fantastic source for inspiration. They usually mention which firm(s) were involved, and it never hurts to check out their sites. You may find some styles you like and would like to emulate. When you have a package that feels solid and complete, run it past your designer friend for critique and make some changes based on their feedback.

The gist of my advice for people who are early in their design careers is:

• Consume as much good design as you can (eg. Brand New)
• Produce as much good design as you can, even if it means copying others until you find your own style.
• Put only the best of your work in your portfolio. If you don't think someone would pay money for it, don't include it.
• Seek out critique
• Network

If you do those four things, you'll find a job eventually.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

kedo posted:

Starting a meetup might be a good idea, but starting an AIGA chapter is a lot of work to take on by yourself. What size of a city are you in?

I'm in Edmonton, Alberta, which is a decent sized city. I wasn't thinking of starting an AIGA chapter, just a Meetup, though my husband already organizes a different Meetup group and we do things with the group on a weekly basis.

quote:

If you like visual branding, I'd say focus on that and drive your portfolio in that direction. It's definitely a fun and lucrative part of the industry, and it can also provide you with a great way to build up a body of work even if you don't have real projects to work on. Try making some faux brand packages for fictitious or real companies. Include a visual brand (logomarks, color palettes and typography) and 5-10 collateral pieces to go with it. The Brand New blog is a fantastic source for inspiration. They usually mention which firm(s) were involved, and it never hurts to check out their sites. You may find some styles you like and would like to emulate. When you have a package that feels solid and complete, run it past your designer friend for critique and make some changes based on their feedback.

The gist of my advice for people who are early in their design careers is:

• Consume as much good design as you can (eg. Brand New)
• Produce as much good design as you can, even if it means copying others until you find your own style.
• Put only the best of your work in your portfolio. If you don't think someone would pay money for it, don't include it.
• Seek out critique
• Network

If you do those four things, you'll find a job eventually.

I actually ran into a completely different designer friend at my retail job yesterday and he said he's keep an eye out for any positions for me. I messaged another one about her reviewing my portfolio and she said she would be honoured to do it. Hopefully we can grab coffee sometime soon.

I'm pretty biased about my own work and have my favourite pieces. I've contemplated dropping a piece from my portfolio, only to have people say it's their favourite one. Maybe I'll spend some time developing that logo mark and expanding it into a bigger project. A lot of my later school projects involved branding packages which included packaging design, social media ads, print ads, business cards and promotional booklets. Some of them were making up a brand wholesale and some were rebranding an existing local company.

I'm gonna do my best to kick my rear end in gear and do all of the above. My retail job it gonna drive me insane if I don't.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
TL: DR: Is a cheap, quick MBA worth it if not concerned with MBA reputation?

Alright, my career is stalled, again. I'm 33 so I really need to hurry poo poo up. Trying to figure out the best, quickest way to move forward.

I have a BS in accounting, and I'm still working on the CPA. The only jobs that seem to have any interest are AR/AP, and no public firms have given me a chance yet. Of course that will change (I hope :stare: ) once I get most or all of them completed, so we'll see then.

I need more credits for the 150 hour CPA requirement. Top schools aren't going to take me because of my academic background, so the best one I was considering is Bentley in the Boston area. It's basically a pipeline to local public firms. Problem is, I won't be able to start there until fall of 2018, IF they even take me. I wanted to do an MS in Taxation, work for big four, and a few years down the line see if a company would fund an MBA. At that point I'd have an MS and good work experience, so I could get in to a much better program than now.

I wanted to do both an MS for specialization, then an MBA for ~networking~, and wanted to save my "MBA ticket" for the best program I can get in to. But now I'm thinking, why?

-I'm not going to get in to Wharton, Harvard, Stanford, etc.
-I'm not trying to go in to investment banking
-I can't do a full time day program and take advantage of all the best parts of it anyway.

There's an accelerated MBA at a local school that I could finish in five sessions, for under $15,000. It's not going to wow anyone on my resume or let me network, but it gets my credits out of the way, hopefully makes up for my poor undergrad showing, and most importantly, is something I can accomplish quickly. At this point, time is more important than "best."

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It sounds like your top priority is to finish your CPA as quickly and cheaply as possible. That's the credential that really matters , and the MBA is just a stepping stone to that. It sounds like you should go for it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I'm not in your field but I would heavily question someone with a poo poo MBA. I would be more likely to hire the same resume with a BA only than a BA and a poo poo MBA.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Crap.

What would you think about someone going to a target school in your field for an MS, with a BA and poo poo MBA? :v: It's not so much ideal, but it's the situation I'm in.

I had an interview at BDO, a public firm a bit below the big four, and the 150 hours was all they really cared about. A ton of the people working there went to Bentley. Had that gone my way, I wouldn't be asking for advice.

I should post this in the accounting thread. The idea there IIRC, was once you have the CPA, where you get the credits from don't really matter. Obviously high ranked programs make you stand out, but mainly just get the credits done.

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 18, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

My industry doesn't have real professional certifications (strategic and management consulting boutique) so it is likely to be different for you because the professional certification helps cover for you.

That being said - what do you gain from the MBA in addition to the MS? That's not really clear to me.

Bentley isn't a bad school exactly and I hear it is good for finance and acccounting but I have been less than impressed by their business generalists with either a bachelors and masters.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

My industry doesn't have real professional certifications (strategic and management consulting boutique) so it is likely to be different for you because the professional certification helps cover for you.

That being said - what do you gain from the MBA in addition to the MS? That's not really clear to me.

Bentley isn't a bad school exactly and I hear it is good for finance and acccounting but I have been less than impressed by their business generalists with either a bachelors and masters.

If you've seen that many Bentley grads, I assume you're from the area? Or at least you've seen a ton of resumes. The school is Fitchburg State. It's no HBS, but it's not the University of Phoenix either.

The certification is definitely the most important part, and it's going to help me more than anything else, but I do need the credit hours too. I thought I could start out in public with the exams, then take some credits part time, but they want those 150.

The MBA, specifically the one I'm asking about here, is because of the speed at which I can finish it, and the price. While those certainly shouldn't be the most important things when choosing a program, I've dug myself a hole here. Speed is most important. It will get me to the 150 credit hours required to be a CPA at about twice the cost of community college courses, and I could be done by the end of summer 2018.

Why an MS too? I'd like to have a nicer degree and I liked Bentley when I went to one of their campus events. They really do have a good relationship with accounting firms here, as I understand it. I'm just not sure I'll get in as things are now.
I'm not looking at that MBA being a magic bullet that sends me to the top. I'm just hoping that what you said about it being a red flag isn't so widespread.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I am from Boston (well, I just moved, but was mostly there for 2005-2017).

Not being from the industry, I guess I don't understand the 150 hours requirement. You just take 150 hours of whateverthefuck and that counts?

I'm not sure that the MBA would help you get in to Bentley (it might hinder you?) but it would probably be worth your while to speak with the Bentley admissions office.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Yeah I could take 30 credits of art history and it would count.
I'll check with Bentley.Thanks for the non-accounting industry perspective.

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
I'm wrapping up a PhD and looking for jobs. I found one listing where the recruiter is highly responsive and appears to be interested. However, I just found out it's apparently considered an 'entry' level job.

My research background sets me up with skills for "Data Science" at least insofar as I have a strong grasp of building statistical models, machine learning, and the like. I have little experience however with actual "big data" or enterprise-scale anything. I have been in academia for the last decade.

The catch is that I'm trying to get a job in the same city and, while there are several jobs in the area that are suitable and likely pay better, I feel they may be more competitive on the business side of things, and if I'm playing the odds, it's better to have this than be unemployed.

After some diplomatic wording and stating the salary expectations for Data Science jobs in the area, the recruiter came back and told me this job is offering 65-70k, asking if I wanted to withdraw my name from the candidate pool. The data science jobs in my city typically offer 90-100k. The wording of the advertisement was ambiguous, so I applied anyway. Company is also apparently a good one to work for.

I currently make 24k and will be unemployed after January. Wife makes 55k. I am married, no kids, but with a house, mortgage, and a household total of ~$40k in debts (most of which is my wife's student loans, which are interest free for the moment). We own our (lovely) cars, take cheap or no vacations, and have otherwise modest expenses. I suspect we could be debt-free in a bit over a year.

I have no experience interviewing for jobs of this type at all. In the past it was retail jobs, then laboratory jobs and grants. I have never done a technical interview. I'm thinking of staying in just for the experience of interviewing. I do not know if it is normal for a recruiter to be so attentive to a candidate pool of ~200 applications (according to LinkedIn).

If I take this job I can learn those skills I feel I'm missing and it might ease the transition from academia to industry, making it easier to get the super high-paying jobs.. At some point in the future I'd like to investigate Postdocs and such in a field of preference, but the timing is bad for it now., and I'd like some financial security first.

And really, 65-70k still feels like an infinite amount of money to me. But if I did take this job, would I be setting myself up for poor negotiations in the future re: salary?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Never admit your current salary in an interview.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Is 90-100 entry level pay for a data scientist in your city?

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Is 90-100 entry level pay for a data scientist in your city?

It appears to be an average. The ranges are hard to deal with because I don't have any idea of the statistical distribution. Relatively small number of jobs in that area. I think this is a case where the employer isn't entirely sure what they are looking for. I'm going to go ahead and press forward with it, but I'd like to know more.

I have not told anyone my salary. I have a "prestigious" fellowship is all they know. They could very likely guess though.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

People understand that as a PhD student you're not making much. I wouldn't worry about that.

I think the big question here is what your other options are. Do you have other good data scientists jobs that you're competitive for, or is this the only thing you've got in the pipeline right now? If the second one, how hard do you think it would be to get more options?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Kudaros posted:

I'm wrapping up a PhD and looking for jobs. I found one listing where the recruiter is highly responsive and appears to be interested. However, I just found out it's apparently considered an 'entry' level job.

My research background sets me up with skills for "Data Science" at least insofar as I have a strong grasp of building statistical models, machine learning, and the like. I have little experience however with actual "big data" or enterprise-scale anything. I have been in academia for the last decade.

Unless you want to be an ETL developer, you can teach yourself basic database querying and get by ok. You might run into growing pains with logistical things like transforming or processing data, but you'll figure that out soon enough. Knowing nothing else about you, based on your description I'd peg you for something like 70k outside of Manhattan or SF. My concern would be the uncertainty about how long it'd take you to pick up the practical components of the role.

quote:

The catch is that I'm trying to get a job in the same city and, while there are several jobs in the area that are suitable and likely pay better, I feel they may be more competitive on the business side of things, and if I'm playing the odds, it's better to have this than be unemployed.

After some diplomatic wording and stating the salary expectations for Data Science jobs in the area, the recruiter came back and told me this job is offering 65-70k, asking if I wanted to withdraw my name from the candidate pool. The data science jobs in my city typically offer 90-100k. The wording of the advertisement was ambiguous, so I applied anyway. Company is also apparently a good one to work for.

It depends on the role. If this is a pure modeling gig, then it sounds like you can legit ask for more. If not, then that's reasonable for a green candidate.

By all means, if you're not familiar with them, start cramming on things like Python, R, SQL so at least you don't get tripped up on the basics if they come up during an interview. Most companies won't be using something like MATLAB or Stata.

quote:

I currently make 24k and will be unemployed after January. Wife makes 55k. I am married, no kids, but with a house, mortgage, and a household total of ~$40k in debts (most of which is my wife's student loans, which are interest free for the moment). We own our (lovely) cars, take cheap or no vacations, and have otherwise modest expenses. I suspect we could be debt-free in a bit over a year.

And really, 65-70k still feels like an infinite amount of money to me. But if I did take this job, would I be setting myself up for poor negotiations in the future re: salary?

Yes for the overall job market, but the market's hot for analytics skills. If you can use this role to teach yourself more practical stuff, and then go back on the market in a year or two, you'd be likely to see a bump. I think the going rate on the open market for real data scientist in metro NYC (what I'm familiar with) would be something like at least 150k base with 20%+ bonus.

It's tricky as you'll quickly find that recruiters largely don't know poo poo about this category, and very possibly your future supervisors will know nothing about the topic as well, and thus for better or worse not know what they're looking for.