Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Endorph posted:

there are some game analyst youtubers i like but ive very rarely seen a big article on a game news site i enjoy. there's some decent post-mortems floating around on kotaku of all places but i really dont want to see another take on why bioware is saving gay marriage or w/e.

if you like in-depth post-mortem stuff i hope you've read all the ones on gamasutra. some of them dive reaaaaally deep and it's mainly a site for people in the industry and they're usually pretty fascinating. i've really enjoyed reading them, even for some games that I've never played before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Motto posted:

Even dark souls has stuff like summoning that I see people get weird about

yeah summoning is honestly a great implementation of that. it's limited by (replenishable) in-game resources but as far as I'm aware there's absolutely nothing in any of the games (although I never played Demon's Souls) that you lock yourself out of by not playing solo-- not even meta-game stuff like trophies or whatever, it's all honor system. hell you're even rewarded with covenant items and stuff for being a host if you're in the appropriate one. i think it's a really creative take on an "easy mode" that basically says "hey, it's ok if you can't do this alone" :unsmith:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the only roadblock to summoning in demon's souls is finding somebody to summon in demon's souls

i've had to restart the game several times just to get it to connect to the servers and when it does connect the game gets progressively choppier until you restart

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Endorph posted:

lives make sense in the multiplayer marios like 3d world at least as a way to gently caress with other players

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You owe it to yourself try to do it by yourself first and then summon if you don't succeed. Summoning people sight unseen is just depriving yourself of any sense of discovery.

edit: Also regarding the cuphead thing, if you try something more than a couple times and see that it's clearly not working but continue to do it the same way anyway, maybe the problem's not with the game

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 10, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Colonel posted:

the only roadblock to summoning in demon's souls is finding somebody to summon in demon's souls

i've had to restart the game several times just to get it to connect to the servers and when it does connect the game gets progressively choppier until you restart

I never had that problem, the biggest one was finding someone else playing it mid 2016

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I summon people even against bosses I've never faced before. Suck it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've summoned like three times over five games.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jay Rust posted:

That's pretty lame dude

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Jay Rust posted:

I mean, you're hurting yourself here, not us. :shobon:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I do my first playthrough with no summons then I like helping people in my runs after that

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I only did summoning stuff in Dark Souls 1 to grind Sunlight Medals because that's mandatory to get the ability to literally throw lightning bolts at fuckers

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I love doing it. Bosses are the least fun part of the games for me, you guys are engaging in the "This is the right way to play" we were all just complaining about

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"The right way to play" and "the intended way to play" are pretty different. There is no objectively correct way to play, but I can say with relative confidence that you are not meant to steamroll your way through your first blind playthrough with bodyguards who already know what they're doing.

edit: And if that's how you wanna play then that's fine, but "so you're saying I'm playing wrong" is a pretty crappy defense

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I summoned on Gargoyles and O&S because it's not fair that they had friends and I didn't.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The saga of YouTube sucking continues
https://twitter.com/vgdunkey/status/906911531828436993
Dunkey has posted in the recent past about his shrinking revenue as well

I kind of bounced off Dark Souls because I'm bad at games but Shovel Knight has some really great difficulty design imo

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

CJacobs posted:

"The right way to play" and "the intended way to play" are pretty different. There is no objectively correct way to play, but I can say with relative confidence that you are not meant to steamroll your way through your first blind playthrough with bodyguards who already know what they're doing.

edit: And if that's how you wanna play then that's fine, but "so you're saying I'm playing wrong" is a pretty crappy defense

How do you figure what the intended way to play is? They don't gate summons behind deaths.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Dr Cheeto posted:

The saga of YouTube sucking continues
https://twitter.com/vgdunkey/status/906911531828436993
Dunkey has posted in the recent past about his shrinking revenue as well

Well it's not gonna get better with the face of youtube (pewdiepie) literally saying the N word on Stream :buddy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_bMArMJ-f8

https://twitter.com/slowbeef/status/906959553975259137

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jay Rust posted:

How do you figure what the intended way to play is? They don't gate summons behind deaths.

It's sorta common sense? Summoning is basically a way to choose your difficulty, and the default is not having any or even having the ability to summon. You don't start as human or with the white soapstones in any of the souls games (or Demon's Souls), save for 2 where becoming human is part of the tutorial.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

pewdied

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Very cool normal comments on that video

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I don't use summons but I think it would be cool if more traditionally hard games could have a mechanic like that.

Imagine summoning proto man in a Mega Man game or something like that.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

CJacobs posted:

It's sorta common sense? Summoning is basically a way to choose your difficulty, and the default is not having any or even having the ability to summon. You don't start as human or with the white soapstones in any of the souls games (or Demon's Souls), save for 2 where becoming human is part of the tutorial.

You do start in a covenant that makes it easier to summon allies, tho, and you run into the Jolly Cooperation guy super early.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

im about to start lorule castle in lbw and i still need to get the pegasus boots and the last sword upgrade

i just want to say that ice dungeon has the best use of 3d effects of the seven sage dungeons but gently caress ice physics

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

also dungeons being bitesized to the point that i can start and completely sweep them in 20 minutes owns

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dr Cheeto posted:

You do start in a covenant that makes it easier to summon allies, tho, and you run into the Jolly Cooperation guy super early.

That's a fair point. But I do think the games are very obviously geared toward single player combat, even in DS3 where you're fighting groups more often than one-on-one. The AI only focuses on one person at a time.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Erg posted:

im about to start lorule castle in lbw and i still need to get the pegasus boots and the last sword upgrade

i just want to say that ice dungeon has the best use of 3d effects of the seven sage dungeons but gently caress ice physics

I was gonna say that I'd be okay if they kept putting traditional zeldas on handheld and they used the consoles for more experimental titles, then I remembered that the handheld platform and the console platform are now the same thing.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I made this video of me playing superhot vr on the vive to convince my buddy of how sweet vr is. its a pretty fun looking game I do have to say. I was trying to capture a really good run but could only hit like 80 so I just went with the video where I'm doing the sweetest moves. I wish I had a camera on me in third person cause I'm like rolling around on the ground I'm sure I look ridiculous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK-BRm7IngA

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Erg posted:

also dungeons being bitesized to the point that i can start and completely sweep them in 20 minutes owns

Link Between Worlds is real good (except octorok baseball) and let's all thank Reggie for it.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

CJacobs posted:

It's trivially easy to become human, in fact in 3 you become human whenever you beat a boss. The soapstones aren't ever hidden, and aren't even necessary to summon. It's not some secret mechanic, reserved for New Game Plus.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I was gonna say that I'd be okay if they kept putting traditional zeldas on handheld and they used the consoles for more experimental titles, then I remembered that the handheld platform and the console platform are now the same thing.

They can call it the virtual console

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Help Im Alive posted:

Very cool normal comments on that video

When all is said and done I wonder how many of them are going to end up saying "he wasn't saying it in a racist context, he was using it to express frustration, which is different because,"

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i know DS2 might be considered a black sheep or whatever, but it tied NPC storylines to summoning them

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

CJacobs posted:

You also don't start with much in the way of equipment or Soul Levels, but the game hands those tools to you along the way too. I think we're expected to use all of them as we see fit? And so the dev smears out its difficulty nicely so that chumps like me can play and enjoy the series while dedicated geniuses can also ignore all the tools and no hit the game on an SL1 naked dude with Bolt Paper or whatever.

I mean this is a game series where, if you know the patterns, you can cheese many bosses, skips whole sections etc. The weird purity tests that people have about, like, not using the online play mechanics as presented but it being totally legit to corner a boss in a certain way and stunlock it with certain weapons is pretty funny to me. It's a game whose presentation is so obscure that it takes lots of people and trial and error to find all the secrets or even follow simple quest lines which most players won't do. They'll just looks things up on a Wiki. Which is grand! Everyone gets to play the game the way the like.

Personally, I have never liked boss fights in games, but I love the high tension exploration and navigation of regular souls travel and combat. So I do everything I can do avoid spoiling myself on that experience, while with bosses, I'll fight it a couple times to try to get a sense of the moves/see if I can beat it, and if I can't I'll happily summon so I can get back to the part of the game I love. The bosses I do beat are hell of satisfying and I'm happy to feel smug about solo'ing the Dancer which lots of people have trouble with, while sheepishly saying "gently caress the Twin Princes" and summoning help even though most people say that's an easy fight. Then I can get back to the part of the game I LOVE.

Here's a great Gamasutra article about the techniques Dark Souls uses makes players feel like it's harder than it really is, to help people feel more badass.
https://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/178262/deep_dungeon_exploring_the_design_.php?page=1

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

dogsicle posted:

i know DS2 might be considered a black sheep or whatever, but it tied NPC storylines to summoning them

So did 1 and 3

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

CJacobs posted:

When all is said and done I wonder how many of them are going to end up saying "he wasn't saying it in a racist context, he was using it to express frustration, which is different because,"

well why use that specific word than

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's ok if a youtuber uses racial slurs or expresses ugly views as long as you can give a cheap enough justification for it

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

huh, didn't realize 1 did it and haven't played 3

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

dogsicle posted:

huh, didn't realize 1 did it and haven't played 3

Actually I'm lying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I don't do any of the summoning stuff in Souls games because I feel self-conscious about impacting another player's gameplay experience so directly :shobon:

• Locked thread