Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Hell yes.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Chopsticks Express by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
psticks

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I saw this building and I thought of you all.

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
DSC_0771-2 by Esa Foto, on Flickr
DSC_0745-2 by Esa Foto, on Flickr
DSC_0585-2 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
Horses

Medieval Medic fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Sep 12, 2017

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

v magenta highlights

e: nvm, i had f.lux on

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Sep 12, 2017

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I'm sensing a theme here :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Gonna hijack this for a question that's been bugging me: what's the technique for a shot like this? I was set up for a sunrise last month in a spot where I thought had potential and it turned into a tire fire. Basically the foreground was pitch black and no amount of bracketing or messing with sliders could fix it (and this ignores the fact that the composition wasn't as good as I had envisioned).

Is it a timing thing? Sun has to be a certain distance over the horizon to work? Or do you need a spot tilted downhill so it picks up light better?

A sample if you want to see what I'm talking about : http://i.imgur.com/ihMQMUW.jpg

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also, this hike owns. Did you soak your feet in upper grinnell lake? How long could you do it before your toes begged for mercy? :v:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

xzzy posted:

Gonna hijack this for a question that's been bugging me: what's the technique for a shot like this? I was set up for a sunrise last month in a spot where I thought had potential and it turned into a tire fire. Basically the foreground was pitch black and no amount of bracketing or messing with sliders could fix it (and this ignores the fact that the composition wasn't as good as I had envisioned).

Is it a timing thing? Sun has to be a certain distance over the horizon to work? Or do you need a spot tilted downhill so it picks up light better?

A sample if you want to see what I'm talking about : http://i.imgur.com/ihMQMUW.jpg

Essentially it's an HDR shot with the saturation pushed a bit. You can bracket (or use a camera with a massive DR) and get this kind of result by merging the properly exposed areas of the different shots in PS, or you can use other software that stacks it automatically but generally doesn't do as good a job.

It's possible that's a single shot unbracketed if the sun had just, just came up over the horizon as well.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Sludge Tank posted:

I'm sensing a theme here :colbert:

Beautiful cars? :haw:

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

xzzy posted:

Also, this hike owns. Did you soak your feet in upper grinnell lake? How long could you do it before your toes begged for mercy? :v:

Haha nah, but I did stick my hand in, it was still pretty chilly. Stood knee-deep at Virginia Falls last year in early summer and everything below water was starting to go numb by the time I was done with the pictures.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

xzzy posted:

VelociBacon did a decent job of explaining it, I would usually do multiple exposures but in this case it was a single exposure as I did not have a tripod with me. I think it depends on the scene really, I think your example works as is.

Here is a before from lightroom to give you an idea.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.
Haven't picked up my camera in a year, I think. I just haven't been motivated to do anything, but I took a last minute trip to Reno for the hot air balloon races. Didn't get anything nearly as good as before, but here you go.

2017 Great Reno Balloon Race

Moonbump

Early Sunrise Launch

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis
Went to Colorado this weekend, decided I should move back ASAP.

Untitled by Ryan Sees What, on Flickr

copen
Feb 2, 2003

copen fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Sep 18, 2017

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

tau posted:

Went to Colorado this weekend, decided I should move back ASAP.

This one is cool, but you got a nasty halo along the mountain ridge. Probably from sharpening.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Untitled by Tom Olson, on Flickr

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sweet

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

xzzy posted:

This one is cool, but you got a nasty halo along the mountain ridge. Probably from sharpening.

I get this a lot too, partially due to sharpening, but only really visible when you knock down the luminescence on the blue channel. If you want to take down those blue skies like you would have in back and white film with a colored filter, without filtering the camera, you've really got to watch those edges. I've done a lot of fiddly work to get rid of them.

I do wonder what causes the thing. Is it oversharpening itself? Or is it an artifact of a large flat field of color that is only really firing on one of the sensor's three channels that gets strange at its edges?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

thetzar posted:

I do wonder what causes the thing. Is it oversharpening itself? Or is it an artifact of a large flat field of color that is only really firing on one of the sensor's three channels that gets strange at its edges?

Based on googling around, if it's a white band a few pixels wide that shows up along a high contrast line, it's oversharpening that does it. If you pixel peep there should be a matching dark band on the other side of the edge though it's harder to see. The sharpen feature is fundamentally using an edge detection convolution matrix to find areas of contrast and boost that contrast at a local scale. Think of what happens to an image when you use the emboss filter in Photoshop, it's sort of like that.

In practice, reducing the radius or amount sliders is what fixes it.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Boom chicka bow wow.

Portrait Backlit by B. B., on Flickr

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 19, 2017

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

xzzy posted:

Based on googling around, if it's a white band a few pixels wide that shows up along a high contrast line, it's oversharpening that does it. If you pixel peep there should be a matching dark band on the other side of the edge though it's harder to see. The sharpen feature is fundamentally using an edge detection convolution matrix to find areas of contrast and boost that contrast at a local scale. Think of what happens to an image when you use the emboss filter in Photoshop, it's sort of like that.

In practice, reducing the radius or amount sliders is what fixes it.

This is super helpful. Thanks. I was going nuts trying to get that halo out.