Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Why did my wife order her 6p from Huawei? :qq:

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Dagon posted:

Why did my wife order her 6p from Huawei? :qq:

I ordered my 5X from Amazon. Thankfully LG warranted the dumb thing a couple weeks ago.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Oh wow, my Pixel XL is brand new in box. I had always gotten refurb 6Ps before.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Sub Rosa posted:

Oh wow, my Pixel XL is brand new in box. I had always gotten refurb 6Ps before.

I was hoping this would be the case! I'm stoked to get mine.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Anyone who is no longer a Fi customer tried returning a 6p? Mine is shutting down around 20% on a regular basis. I ordered from google and had Fi originally, but I moved it to Verizon. Will google still provide tech support?

The Drifter
Apr 21, 2006

greasyhands posted:

Anyone who is no longer a Fi customer tried returning a 6p? Mine is shutting down around 20% on a regular basis. I ordered from google and had Fi originally, but I moved it to Verizon. Will google still provide tech support?

I have no idea, but you should be able to, since the phone was ordered from Google - I think they can tell by the IMEI. I'd contact Google Support over Fi Support though, obviously.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Contact Fi. I contacted Google Store Support and they transfered me over to Fi even though I'm no longer with them because that's where I bought my phone from.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Got a pixel 128gb through online chat. They must really have a huge problem with these 6p's. guess they are trying to placate the masses and avoid a lawsuit. It has been a huge pain in the rear end using this buggy phone for the last 2 years, but I guess this is a pretty decent consolation prize.

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 7, 2017

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

FedEx online said no signature needed, package with my brand new phone not delivered because... it needs a signature. :sigh:

Well at least I'll get to just play with my new phone all night tomorrow!

greasyhands posted:

Got a pixel 128gb through online chat. They must really have a huge problem with these 6p's. guess they are trying to placate the masses and avoid a lawsuit. It has been a huge pain in the rear end using this buggy phone for the last 2 years, but I guess this is a pretty decent consolation prize.

Exactly my thought too, like drat, they're really trying to avoid this class action suit, huh.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I'm honestly considering whether I should hit up support about my phone. It's generally usuable, but it has always had the 5X "weird orange screen" problem, same as my original 5X, but unlike the second (NIB) 5X they sent me when the first one crapped out (which had a more normal-hued screen. And this summer it has had a lot of trouble keeping any kind of cell signal in some rooms of my house, where I don't remember it ever having any issues before.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Worst they'll say is it's out of warranty, I say go for it! If its battery isn't the best either... :airquote:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Does anyone have a definitive answer on calls from "+1 408-256-0700"? There's a "known issues" article that says this is the number used by Fi when it detects spam calls, but I've also found some forum posts with randos claiming that it is also the number that will show up on your screen if you get disconnected from 911 and they try to call you back. I'm a bit concerned about this. I have been getting a bunch of calls from this number in the past few weeks, so I figured it was some kind of junk call. I haven't blocked it, but if other Fi subscribers have done this and it is the 911 callback number, this would be very dangerous!

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 9, 2017

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
I've been having pretty major call quality issues over the past few weeks, regardless of whether I'm on wifi or a cell network, with my 6P on Fi. My voice seems to be transmitting fine, but I hear everything that is being said 2-5x and it feels like I'm schizophrenic. I feel like I should contact Google about the issue, but I also dropped the phone ~16 months ago and cracked the bottom of the screen, as well as the rightmost part of the glass over the camera. The phone has functioned just the same as when I got it, so I know it's all cosmetic, but I have a feeling like they're just gonna try to pin the issue on that. I had a decent hybrid case on the phone, took it out to try in a Mattel Cardboard case for a NASA 3D tour app, and forgot to put it back on before going grocery shopping. The phone promptly ejected itself out of my pocket when getting out of the car. Of the 8 cell phones I've owned, the 6P is the first one I managed to drop.

Lutha, if I understand correctly, any time you get a call from that number, it just means someone (not necessarily 911, but possibly) tried calling your phone via either your Sprint or T-Mobile number. On my 6P, it's under Settings > Status > IMEI information > MIN (mobile identification number). If someone calls that number instead of the number you know as your phone number, it will display 408-256-0700. Your MIN might be someone's phone number recycled and it could be cold callers or debt collectors. You're probably not butt dialing emergency services, though.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Johnny Truant posted:

FedEx online said no signature needed, package with my brand new phone not delivered because... it needs a signature. :sigh:

Well at least I'll get to just play with my new phone all night tomorrow!

Exactly my thought too, like drat, they're really trying to avoid this class action suit, huh.

Also probably a chance to clear out Pixels before new model launch?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I have a Nexus 6p on Fi. I'm still stuck on the July security update, and no sight of 8.0. Do I need to factory reset the phone to help it find new monthly security patches?

Has anyone got the 8.0 OTA update yet?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

I don't have a 6P, but it sounds a little odd that you don't have the August patch yet. I think all of the currently-supported Google devices let you go into that one settings pane and manually force the device to look for updates, so that might be something to try.

For the 8.0 update, I got the OTA update onto my 5X by downloading the OTA image from the official Android developer site and putting it onto the phone via ADB and the recovery firmware. I did this yesterday and it worked fine, but I would suggest not doing this unless you're sure you know what you're doing.

One other thing, the OTA image page where I got the file appears to say that they don't have an 8.0 OTA image for the 6P that works with Fi yet. There might be a "factory image" that works, I didn't check, but factory images wipe the whole device, so :rolleyes: at dealing with that.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I don't have a 6P, but it sounds a little odd that you don't have the August patch yet. I think all of the currently-supported Google devices let you go into that one settings pane and manually force the device to look for updates, so that might be something to try.

For the 8.0 update, I got the OTA update onto my 5X by downloading the OTA image from the official Android developer site and putting it onto the phone via ADB and the recovery firmware. I did this yesterday and it worked fine, but I would suggest not doing this unless you're sure you know what you're doing.

One other thing, the OTA image page where I got the file appears to say that they don't have an 8.0 OTA image for the 6P that works with Fi yet. There might be a "factory image" that works, I didn't check, but factory images wipe the whole device, so :rolleyes: at dealing with that.

Thanks for the info. I have manually forced a "check for updates" and it happily informs me that my system is up to date.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Well, Fi did a nice thing for me today, I'm in an area affected by Irma:

quote:

Based on your indicated billing zip code, we understand you may have been impacted by the recent storms. Whether you're searching for resources or reaching out to loved ones, we know it’s critical for you to stay connected, so we’ll be automatically applying a $20 service credit to your account over the next few days.

The Electronaut fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 12, 2017

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I just re-initiated correspondence about a replacement.

E: Just got a 32gb Pixel XL for a 19 month old 64gb Nexus 6p.

I can live with that.

No Butt Stuff fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 12, 2017

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Anybody want a Nexus 6P case? Pay the shipping and it's yours, like grey with a geometric pattern on the back that's like a denim material. Dropped my phone tons of times and it withstood the punishment.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Wait the email upgraded me to a 128GB device....

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
I got a 32gb Pixel XL replacement for my 6p that has random reboots. Hopefully they don't deny my turn in 6p due to the minor crack on the corner of the screen.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
My 5x hasn't poo poo itself YET but it does occasionally lock up and reboot for no discernible reason, I'm tempted to try and get it replaced while they're going nuts with them.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Did you guys getting the Pixel replacements call, email, or chat?

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

Chaotic Flame posted:

Did you guys getting the Pixel replacements call, email, or chat?

Chat through the phone.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Chat on my PC.

So my new Pixel XL is great, except it can't connect reliably to my work's WiFi. None of the 7 networks. It sporadically, in very specific locations, can connect to the public WiFi, but it's poo poo. The other networks basically just get stuck.

What the gently caress? My Nexus 6P could connect no problem, anywhere, to any of the networks. It's not necessary for my job but it makes a project I'm currently undertaking much easier, and I just nearly threw my brand new phone against the wall in frustration. Does anyone have any tips or am I just SOL?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Johnny Truant posted:

Chat on my PC.

So my new Pixel XL is great, except it can't connect reliably to my work's WiFi. None of the 7 networks. It sporadically, in very specific locations, can connect to the public WiFi, but it's poo poo. The other networks basically just get stuck.

What the gently caress? My Nexus 6P could connect no problem, anywhere, to any of the networks. It's not necessary for my job but it makes a project I'm currently undertaking much easier, and I just nearly threw my brand new phone against the wall in frustration. Does anyone have any tips or am I just SOL?

If it's the issue with an interstitial page to get on the network not loading, you can potentially solve it by going directly to the page via IP address instead of by URL. That, or navigating to the default gateway by IP.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Johnny Truant posted:

The courtesy Pixels are warranted for ~90 days. If the WiFi also doesn't work elsewhere, swap that poo poo out ASAP.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Thanatosian posted:

If it's the issue with an interstitial page to get on the network not loading, you can potentially solve it by going directly to the page via IP address instead of by URL. That, or navigating to the default gateway by IP.

No there's no interstitial page, let me pull it up and I can give the details a little more accurately..

EAP method: PEAP
Phase 2 authentication: none
CA Certificate: Do not validate
Identity: My username
Anonymous identity: left blank
Password: self explanatory
Proxy: none
IP settings: DHCP

So those're the details my phone gives me when I select any of the networks(other than the public). I enter my username/password, it bumps me back to the wifi list where it shows the "Connecting..." underneath the selected network. Then it just kind of... doesn't do anything. It switches the network then to "Saved" and doesn't try to connect again. It never successfully connects. It refreshes the list every 10 seconds or something, still doesn't try to connect to any of the networks I've tried this on.

I tried deleting a bunch of older networks that got carried over when I transferred my Nexus' data, that didn't help. It can connect to the public network great in certain locations, mediocre in others. None of these areas really correlate with my Nexus' connectivity, where I basically could be connected to the public network anywhere in my workplace.

Molten Llama posted:

The courtesy Pixels are warranted for ~90 days. If the WiFi also doesn't work elsewhere, swap that poo poo out ASAP.

Nah it's fine everywhere else I've tested it(well I guess just my home network since I haven't had the phone long), but if this persists I'll probably contact Google to see what the skinny is. Thanks for the tip, though!

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I got a replacement 6p for my old battery hosed one, but this one seems to reboot randomly during the day. I hate to contact support again, but it's pretty annoying- anyone seen this issue/found resolution for it?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Glass of Milk posted:

I got a replacement 6p for my old battery hosed one, but this one seems to reboot randomly during the day. I hate to contact support again, but it's pretty annoying- anyone seen this issue/found resolution for it?

No, contact support again and insist on not getting another 6p, I had random reboots and got an XL replacement.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The Aphasian posted:

Both my and my wife's phones starting dying without warning somewhere between 20% and 35%; both above the battery saver threshold, so there was never any warning. I contacted support and went through their list of steps, including factory reset, and nothing worked. We were well past the warranty period, but I was able to get the replacement fee waived by asking support to escalate and mentioning I'd found a lot of people online having the same issue.

I've been having the exact same problem. My 6p will randomly die once it gets below 40% battery. It's gotten to the point that I carry an external battery pack with me so my phone isn't in the random shutdown zone if I'm going to be away from a charger for a few hours. I'm also having it go from full to empty way faster than it should be. I guess I'll try hitting up Google support to see if I can get a replacement for it, since it's also out of warranty.

There is something very wrong with the battery, this was how it looked after my bus ride to work:

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Hughmoris posted:

I have a Nexus 6p on Fi. I'm still stuck on the July security update, and no sight of 8.0. Do I need to factory reset the phone to help it find new monthly security patches?

Has anyone got the 8.0 OTA update yet?

I'm in the same boat, 6p on fi with July update. Just today, I suddenly got the August update. Still no 8.0.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Anyone else with a 5X on 8.0? I feel like I'm having more UI responsiveness issues than before with apps that use standard UI widgets. Every once in a while, seemingly at random, I will tap a UI element and it's a throwback to the bad old days of Android 2.X/4.1 where it felt like almost any user action had the potential to drop a bunch of frames or soft-lock the UI for a full second. Maybe the ART JIT has to re-run or something, but it's still worrying.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Anyone else with a 5X on 8.0? I feel like I'm having more UI responsiveness issues than before with apps that use standard UI widgets. Every once in a while, seemingly at random, I will tap a UI element and it's a throwback to the bad old days of Android 2.X/4.1 where it felt like almost any user action had the potential to drop a bunch of frames or soft-lock the UI for a full second. Maybe the ART JIT has to re-run or something, but it's still worrying.

Same. I just think the 5x doesn't have enough memory and I've thought this for many months now.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Mine is starting to slow down and freeze more than it used to and I haven't even gotten 8.0 yet. (And probably won't)

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

binge crotching posted:

I've been having the exact same problem. My 6p will randomly die once it gets below 40% battery. It's gotten to the point that I carry an external battery pack with me so my phone isn't in the random shutdown zone if I'm going to be away from a charger for a few hours. I'm also having it go from full to empty way faster than it should be. I guess I'll try hitting up Google support to see if I can get a replacement for it, since it's also out of warranty.

There is something very wrong with the battery, this was how it looked after my bus ride to work:

If you ordered it through Google, call Fi customer support ( 844.825.5234 ) and tell them about the battery issue. My 6P has the same issue and they're sending me a new 128GB Pixel XL as a replacement.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
Got my 32gig Pixel XL to replace my 32gig 6P that was having the same sudden shutdown issue everyone else seems to have. I just wish that they set up the return shipping as overnight or 1-day... sucks to have a $800+ hold on your account while it makes its way across the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Infidel Castro posted:

If you ordered it through Google, call Fi customer support ( 844.825.5234 ) and tell them about the battery issue. My 6P has the same issue and they're sending me a new 128GB Pixel XL as a replacement.

Ordered it though the Google Store, but I was able to get a replacement. I'm out of town on business and they won't ship to a non-US address, but at least it'll be waiting for me when I get home in 2 weeks.