Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Guns are some weird newfangled device that a lot of longbeards don't trust despite the dwarves having had them for iirc centuries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ravenfood posted:

Guns are some weird newfangled device that a lot of longbeards don't trust despite the dwarves having had them for iirc centuries.

Yep. Crossbows on the other hand literally date back to the divine creation of the dwarf race and were given to them by the gods, so they're fine.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

chaos dwarves in 3 better get their evil trains as units

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I am actually looking forward chaos dwarves

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Dwarves are craftsmen, but they are not generally innovators. They require certainty and precision in their machines, and innovation fucks with both of those. A dwarf crossbow might seem unimpressive compared to a musket, but it's the best most reliable crossbow you've ever held in your hands

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Chaos Dwarves have forsaken tradition and so their creative insights are unchained by excessive caution. Therefore they are technologically about on par with Skaven

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Chaos Dwarfs literally have a divine commandment to build bigger, badder, and crazier.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Third World Reggin posted:

I am actually looking forward chaos dwarves

Now there's a hat I can respect!

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

here is your dwarf army, chaos hitlers instead of little hitlers

oh cool, so you got dwarf troops, some heavily armored slayers, useless goblin, hobgoblin, and orc slaves, black orks

and what is that

yah half centaur dwarf cav and stupid good arty?

yah sure ok, and you get magic

bobz0r
Jul 8, 2008

I have faith in us, if we don't self-destruct
there are a couple of pretty good mods fleshing out the 4 chaos god armies and chaos dwarves. just dont use them together or you get a building browser so big it flies off the right side of the screen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gNUoLV6DKE

some annoying music in the beginning of this one but a big city siege with all 4 armies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TqqJExovCw&t=1212s\

Chaos: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=894230944

Chaos Dwarves: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=913641271

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Goddamn, does the balance of power algorithm have a hard-on for AI Savage Orcs or what? 4 battles in a row I should have easily auto-resolved (3v1, high tier/veteran units, etc) yet the BoP keeps telling me I was significantly disadvantaged. It ain't a big deal but it's drat annoying.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Tamurkhan in Game 3 please.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Dandywalken posted:

Hell yeah

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Dandywalken posted:

I like how the historical ripoffs get increasingly in-your-face the further east you get

like, in the old world they'll take a name and put it through google translate a few times at least, but then you have "oh yeah in the far east is the land of, uh, Chinor"

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Well I mean they just straight up used "cathay" and "nippon" rather than change anything at all

edit: BUT there's also "albion" where it rains every day so it's not only the far east of the warhammer world that's supremely low-effort

peer fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 10, 2017

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah his name is cheesy as gently caress, but the fact that he's a parasitic grub that bores into a new host to take over its motor functions on death is prefty sweet. Potential quest battle potential too, culminating in the Ogre Tyrants body as host.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Dandywalken posted:

Would be cool if Chaos warrior and marauder (Hordes of Chaos factions maybe) in game 3 get reskinned and rerostered to be more Turkic/Scythian rather than viking and with more of a cavalry focus with marauder horse archers, foot archers, lancers and such instead of the axe-toting and javelin-throwing Norscan marauders.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Randarkman posted:

Would be cool if Chaos warrior and marauder (Hordes of Chaos factions maybe) in game 3 get reskinned and rerostered to be more Turkic/Scythian rather than viking and with more of a cavalry focus with marauder horse archers, foot archers, lancers and such instead of the axe-toting and javelin-throwing Norscan marauders.

Well, that's canonically the Kurgan. That's how they do and who they're meant to be.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Yes but do you really want to fight more marauder horsemasters?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Well, that's canonically the Kurgan. That's how they do and who they're meant to be.

Yeah, that's what I meant. If game 3 is going to take place east of game 1 (and maybe with more stuff to the north, chaos wastes, and possibly the south) then the Chaos marauders and the associated non-player chaos-aligned factions should be Kurgans rather than Norscans.

Eimi posted:

Yes but do you really want to fight more marauder horsemasters?

Well, it wouldn't make sense for a Kurgan-based Chaos faction not to have missile cavalry, and really they should be horse-archers rathern than javelin-throwers and axe-throwers, more like glade riders really.

In order for it not to be annoying I think you would have to go the Norscan route of deepening the roster so that those skirmish cavalry units aren't the top tier units, that they'll eventually churn out lots of. Support it with other stuff, you could for instance go the marauder champion route and give them some decently well armored heavy cavalry that's not quite Chaos Knights, maybe also with some different armament (armor-piercing maces would make sense for a faction based off Turkic nomads, as that was one of their favored weapons).

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 11, 2017

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
What is Cathay supposed to be?

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

China, with a "Celestial Golden Emperor" or some such

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

rockopete posted:

Isn't there a bunch of Japanese poo poo mashed in there as well? It's like some apex orientalism fantasy country.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

JBP posted:

Isn't there a bunch of Japanese poo poo mashed in there as well? It's like some apex orientalism fantasy country.

there's a distinct country which is literally just japanese for "japan" (along with a not-india called "Ind")

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Yes, though "Nippon" is also mentioned so that may be the not-Japan focus.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Nippon actually has an army list from.... I think 2nd edition? It's really hard to tell that its from a fantasy setting though. Like if you took a Shogun 2 clan and gave them foo dogs, there's your nippon list.

Cathay has a number of unique units mentioned but nothing ever statted out

Ind has some kind of strange metal and they're hassled by beastmen with tiger heads

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

there's a distinct country which is literally just japanese for "japan" (along with a not-india called "Ind")

Ah yeah that's right. Well, at least they broke up the fantasy analogues.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I knew there was something:

Tamurkhan - the Throne of Chaos, a book from Forge World's fantasy line, quite surprisingly contains a battle scene where the forces of Cathay are involved. A chaos sorcerer dupes a Beastman army into attacking the Tower of Ashshair, a Cathayan watchtower outpost at the edge of the Ogre Kingdoms which it uses to scry on the Old World. Its defenders included fancy bronze cannon that shoot harpoons, "crow-men", stone "temple dogs", elite warriors with back-banners and "thousand-folded" swords, and "Dragon-blooded Shugengan" who wield elemental magics. In other words, your usual collection of oriental cliches, mostly Japanese.

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013
So Kemmler's actually pretty fun to play now guys. He was my first campaign in the game and it's very cool seeing all the changes, new abilities, units and factions in play. The new master necromancer skill trees means fielding large amounts of chaff is cheaper, easier and more effective as they'll hold their binding for a lot longer

Wading Kemmler into the melee, popping Cloak of Shadows (80% damage resist), casting Wind of Death at their lord to clear a path for a goddamn skeleton king to finish them off is pretty awesome. Cheesy villain cackling is mandated in every Kemmler campaign

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

rockopete posted:

Not just some rich dude, but like literally wielding godlike powers. Brought down the creature that would shatter the ogre kingdoms' culture and livelihood and become their new god. A reeeealllll son of a bitch.

I'd like for CA to bring Cathay and Nippon and Ind, etc., to bear in some game later on, even if they're relatively transparent racist stereotypes; they're at least some new types of human armies in a world that already consists of "really lovely frenchmen" and "literally demonic Americans that took the slave thing way, way farther and in a more edgy direction". It's not like GW should give a poo poo, and I really really hate fantasy settings that have some crazy cool poo poo go down that is never involved with the main "storyline" like the poo poo that happens in the far east of the ASOIAF universe. A region known for marauding hordes and brutal slavery and fabulous wealth erected a series of forts to keep out something far more hosed up that's to the east of them? That's what's up. I care a lot more about that than what the consistency of a main character's poop was.

jokes fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Sep 11, 2017

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Frankly posted:

So Kemmler's actually pretty fun to play now guys. He was my first campaign in the game and it's very cool seeing all the changes, new abilities, units and factions in play. The new master necromancer skill trees means fielding large amounts of chaff is cheaper, easier and more effective as they'll hold their binding for a lot longer

Wading Kemmler into the melee, popping Cloak of Shadows (80% damage resist), casting Wind of Death at their lord to clear a path for a goddamn skeleton king to finish them off is pretty awesome. Cheesy villain cackling is mandated in every Kemmler campaign

Yeah, Kemmler's pretty legit ever since the new skill trees dropped, and once you max him out Krell is an unholy murderbeast. Ghorst is the lamest Vampire lord now in terms of gameplay.

Mannfred's the actual lamest though, on account of being Mannfred :v:

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013

Psycho Landlord posted:

Yeah, Kemmler's pretty legit ever since the new skill trees dropped, and once you max him out Krell is an unholy murderbeast. Ghorst is the lamest Vampire lord now in terms of gameplay.

Mannfred's the actual lamest though, on account of being Mannfred :v:

Ghorst pretty much spends his days camped in Essen after I accidentally hired him and couldn't disband him :v: I'll have enough spooky coins to give him an army...someday

I kinda like how manny is such an insufferable dweeb. Considering all my other generals are Necromancers rn I just like to think that manny's found his calling as King of the Undead Nerd Castle and is busy trying to undermine the Dude Emperor Karl Franz

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

what happens when the ogre tries to eat the ammo?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Frankly posted:

Ghorst pretty much spends his days camped in Essen after I accidentally hired him and couldn't disband him :v: I'll have enough spooky coins to give him an army...someday

If you go to his details screen with equipment and such, there's a button in the bottom right to replace him with another lord. If you replace him with a non-legendary lord you can then disband the stack. It's really dumb but it works.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
You guys weren't kidding about Durthu.

I confederated him in a Wood Elf campaign and he got attacked by 2 stacks of Tilean Troops (mostly greatswords with some ranged support and empire knights) and he took a treeman sized poo poo on them and walked off laughing.

They charged him with halberds while I was chasing ranged troops with Wild Riders and he just pasted them anyway then turned around and beat their general to death hilariously quickly.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

hooman posted:

You guys weren't kidding about Durthu.

I confederated him in a Wood Elf campaign and he got attacked by 2 stacks of Tilean Troops (mostly greatswords with some ranged support and empire knights) and he took a treeman sized poo poo on them and walked off laughing.

They charged him with halberds while I was chasing ranged troops with Wild Riders and he just pasted them anyway then turned around and beat their general to death hilariously quickly.

I will always remember him basically soloing a dwarf province. I attacked with Bretonnia AI but they did jackshit to help and so did most of my army, so basically the entire battle was watching him slowly chew through the fortress and killing almost everything inside.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

pnutz posted:

what happens when the ogre tries to eat the ammo?

They belch grapeshot at their enemies

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013

Staltran posted:

If you go to his details screen with equipment and such, there's a button in the bottom right to replace him with another lord. If you replace him with a non-legendary lord you can then disband the stack. It's really dumb but it works.

Awh no way! Thanks for the tip.

Also I'm looking to build a new PC that can handle Total Hams 2, what sort of rig do you guys who play on Ultra have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Frankly posted:

Awh no way! Thanks for the tip.

Also I'm looking to build a new PC that can handle Total Hams 2, what sort of rig do you guys who play on Ultra have?

Just get a 1080 and a modern quad core. You'll be fine

• Locked thread