Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
never mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

William Contraalto posted:

Well, it doesn't really help to say that it's because, like a lot of conservatives, she believes most cases of rape and sexual assault are deserved by the survivor, and so believes protections for survivors and prosecuting rapists are inherently illegitimate. Also because this is the thin end of the wedge on demanding universities only hire conservative professors and teach only conservative-approved curricula.

business hammocks posted:

She thinks too many men are being falsely accused, based on no data or assessment. She just knows in her heart as a Good Girl that only Those Girls have to worry.

So what will change now that the Dear Colleague Letter is gone?

What is this poo poo I have been reading about due process? She seems to think that because of the letter anyone accused of rape is immediately thrown in jail without a trial.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

this meltdown, it's like kalemas came early this year

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
Man, Irma: what a disappointment, am I right? Only a category 3 and won't keep its strength along the coast. My lust for death and property damage is not satiated and I totally feel comfortable vocalizing this knowing human beings are listening. Florida went for Trump and they should suffer, ignore the fact Jose is about to hit NYC.

sarcasm

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe
Charity anti-hurricane dog.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

8-Bit Scholar posted:

His "moron MAGA base" are not very small by virtue that he won the election -- sure, population centers like LA and NYC didn't go for him, but much of the heartland did, including a huge amount of the working class mining, farming and former manufacturing elements of the country. The fact that these people are viewed as "deplorables" by first his political rival, and still by those who oppose him, reflects a grotesque divide in this country, and speaks to the poisonous rhetoric that my previous thread articulated against.

More people work at Wendy's than in the entire coal mining industry

Verrit code 6038149038418963901

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

stone cold posted:

this meltdown, it's like kalemas came early this year

for you, an ill advised 8 bit scholar meltdown about tolerance and fairness is a noteworthy event

for me, it is thursday

VVV

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

BarbarianElephant posted:

Don't assume that because someone is nice that they vote for nice things. There were just as many nice people in Nazi Germany as anywhere; but their politics were not nice.

30% of the country is not "vile and evil" but there's about 30% of the Republican party that's "deplorable" - racists, homophobes, and misogynists. Would you say racists, homophobes and misogynists are "vile and evil"?

I'm not sure I really like declaring people evil in any fundamental sense. People may engage in evil actions, knowingly or unknowingly -- but it gets esoteric and philosophical to discuss what is evil and what is objective morality and that muddies the conversation. I'd say that racism, homophobia and misogyny are manifestations of evil, yet those who exhibit those traits, passively or actively, are not necessarily evil by that fact alone. I've met lots of people who are unknowingly racist who would be the first to decry racism; in doing so, they've inflicted harm upon others, even, because they felt so strongly that perceived racism must be punished. That is an evil action, because it causes harm, but it doesn't make that person evil fundamentally.

quote:

Clinton said one dodgy thing and was hung for it, while Trump said one dodgy thing a week and all you Trump voters were quite willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for it. Clinton had to be perfect and all Trump had to do was pander to race hate and he got elected, because non-bigot Republicans are apparently more upset about being told they hang out with racists than the fact that they hang out with racists.

As for not being a Republican, whatever, you may not be registered one but it's pretty obvious where your sympathies lie. Identity however you want, I guess.

I'll agree with this to an extent, Clinton seemed to get away with a lot less than Trump did, but:

Trump had way, way too much coverage, period. Every single word he said was broadcast as some condemnatory statement by the media. They saturated the airwaves with reports of all the hateful things he'd said, but these reports were so hyperbolic that if you went and listened to the full text of the speeches he made, you'd come away with a sense that much of the criticism was exagerrated. Republicans have, traditionally, had a great distaste for "liberal media" (even though I'd say, in real political terms, the mass media has maintained a centrist, pro-establishment position for years now) and they didn't need many excuses to distrust the news this time. Even Fox News wasn't really behind Trump, and they still can't decide if they support him or not -- he goes off script, which is anathema to any Rupert Murdock outfit.

Another thing is, Clinton just talked about how great everything was, and how deplorable, ungrateful people were for not wanting to embrace this greatness. Trump talked about how things have gone to poo poo and he had a lot of rather specific areas where things had suffered. This was a more accurate view of the world today (I think we can all agree that America has had a lot of troubles these past decades) and people responded in time. I don't think Trump's vision of a gilded American past was accurate, but it appealed more than "let's keep things trucking along (because it's my turn)."

QuarkJets posted:

Wait, aren't you supposed to be a libertarian? So you're cool with Clinton getting locked up for having a personal e-mail server (something that's actually quite commonplace so long as you follow the right approval process, which all evidence shows that she did) but not cool with food safety permits?

The gently caress?

Lol Hillary Clinton was almost certainly complicit in practicing policies of regime change and arming extremist groups during her tenure as Secretary of State -- Wikileaks literally demonstrates this being the policy in Libya. Even if you doubt that, her actions in Haiti are beyond disturbing; her relief efforts caused even greater harm to the Haitian people in the wake of a terrible natural disaster. Her record speaks volumes of a penchant for corruption and malfeasance and in a just world the likes of her, Dick Cheney, Bush Jr, all of them would be brought to trial to answer for the human rights violations they oversaw and/or actively brought about.

Come now, how is being "tried for war crimes" even remotely close to "having a personal e-mail server" that's some real twisting of my words right there.

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'm not sure I really like declaring people evil in any fundamental sense. People may engage in evil actions, knowingly or unknowingly -- but it gets esoteric and philosophical to discuss what is evil and what is objective morality and that muddies the conversation. I'd say that racism, homophobia and misogyny are manifestations of evil, yet those who exhibit those traits, passively or actively, are not necessarily evil by that fact alone. I've met lots of people who are unknowingly racist who would be the first to decry racism; in doing so, they've inflicted harm upon others, even, because they felt so strongly that perceived racism must be punished. That is an evil action, because it causes harm, but it doesn't make that person evil fundamentally.

I'll agree with this to an extent, Clinton seemed to get away with a lot less than Trump did, but:

Trump had way, way too much coverage, period. Every single word he said was broadcast as some condemnatory statement by the media. They saturated the airwaves with reports of all the hateful things he'd said, but these reports were so hyperbolic that if you went and listened to the full text of the speeches he made, you'd come away with a sense that much of the criticism was exagerrated. Republicans have, traditionally, had a great distaste for "liberal media" (even though I'd say, in real political terms, the mass media has maintained a centrist, pro-establishment position for years now) and they didn't need many excuses to distrust the news this time. Even Fox News wasn't really behind Trump, and they still can't decide if they support him or not -- he goes off script, which is anathema to any Rupert Murdock outfit.

Another thing is, Clinton just talked about how great everything was, and how deplorable, ungrateful people were for not wanting to embrace this greatness. Trump talked about how things have gone to poo poo and he had a lot of rather specific areas where things had suffered. This was a more accurate view of the world today (I think we can all agree that America has had a lot of troubles these past decades) and people responded in time. I don't think Trump's vision of a gilded American past was accurate, but it appealed more than "let's keep things trucking along (because it's my turn)."

Lol Hillary Clinton was almost certainly complicit in practicing policies of regime change and arming extremist groups during her tenure as Secretary of State -- Wikileaks literally demonstrates this being the policy in Libya. Even if you doubt that, her actions in Haiti are beyond disturbing; her relief efforts caused even greater harm to the Haitian people in the wake of a terrible natural disaster. Her record speaks volumes of a penchant for corruption and malfeasance and in a just world the likes of her, Dick Cheney, Bush Jr, all of them would be brought to trial to answer for the human rights violations they oversaw and/or actively brought about.

Come now, how is being "tried for war crimes" even remotely close to "having a personal e-mail server" that's some real twisting of my words right there.

Sir, all I said is that we're out of the chocolate ice cream.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Data Graham posted:

More people work at Wendy's than in the entire coal mining industry

Yeah, the state of labor in the United States is really loving lovely. 80 percent of the country works in the service industry; you wonder why folks get excited to hear that Trump wants to bring more manufacturing plants to U.S. soil? Come on leftists, you are pro-labor, right? The service industry is loving hell to work in and it is actively derided by both sides of the political aisle.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

boner confessor posted:

for you, an ill advised 8 bit scholar meltdown about tolerance and fairness is a noteworthy event

for me, it is thursday

today is our lady of perpetual meltdown's feast day, aka every Sunday

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Yeah, the state of labor in the United States is really loving lovely. 80 percent of the country works in the service industry; you wonder why folks get excited to hear that Trump wants to bring more manufacturing plants to U.S. soil? Come on leftists, you are pro-labor, right? The service industry is loving hell to work in and it is actively derided by both sides of the political aisle.

apparently they don't teach you that FIRE and six figure white collar jobs are included in the service industry at 8-bit college

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

8-Bit Scholar posted:

There's nothing about the "service industry" that makes it any fundamentally worse to work in than manufacturing. The manufacturing plants Republicans want to build are ones paying starvation wages and where you can be guaranteed at least three disabling injuries over a career.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

8-Bit Scholar posted:

guys i found the new opening to an oped for the nyt

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

8-Bit Scholar posted:

indeed, leftists SHOULD be pro Trump - an idiot

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Yoooooouuuuuu SUCK!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
is it possible to painfully force out a concern trolling argument without any awareness of economic reality? let's watch as 8 bit scholar continues to pitifully justify his unanimous mockery itt by doing the debate equivalent of passing kidney stones

KickerOfMice posted:

Yoooooouuuuuu SUCK!

please do not boo him and tell him to leave the stage, this is very traumatic for him

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

how is trump supposed to bring back manufacturing jobs if robots do all the manufacturing now

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

There's nothing about the "service industry" that makes it any fundamentally worse to work in than manufacturing. The manufacturing plants Republicans want to build are ones paying starvation wages and where you can be guaranteed at least three disabling injuries over a career.

Being a retail slave sucks; working in fast food or in diner kitchens isn't great either. It'd be fine if people chose these jobs 'cause they liked the work or had the right skill set, but most people work in these places because they have no other options. Human beings are naturally creative, and Americans used to make things with their hands. Now everything is mass produced (often on foreign soil) and most Americans have to work cash registers, sort warehouses or sweat in kitchens to get by because there's not a lot else. And if you want to attain a high paying job and your parents don't have the money to send you to college, you have to go into debt o get the degrees needed to attain said high-paying work and that's a scam in and of itself.

The state of labor in America is really, objectively bad.

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe
The main factor keeping "service industry" jobs awful to work in is that they're generally jobs that are "supposed to be" for women, non-white people, young people, etc. Notice how construction, which has become a "Mexican" job, isn't thought of in the way a job at a steel plant is.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Being a retail slave sucks; working in fast food or in diner kitchens isn't great either. It'd be fine if people chose these jobs 'cause they liked the work or had the right skill set, but most people work in these places because they have no other options. Human beings are naturally creative, and Americans used to make things with their hands. Now everything is mass produced (often on foreign soil) and most Americans have to work cash registers, sort warehouses or sweat in kitchens to get by because there's not a lot else. And if you want to attain a high paying job and your parents don't have the money to send you to college, you have to go into debt o get the degrees needed to attain said high-paying work and that's a scam in and of itself.

Hey chuckles, you do know that manufacturing plants... mass-produce things... right? You couldn't be enough of a dumbass to think that cars are made by skilled artisans hammering out each body panel by hand, right?

Also, if you'd ever worked a job in a shop floor, you'd know that manufacturing isn't sitting around knocking back boilermakers, unlike what AM talk radio tells you.

William Contraalto fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 11, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
"service industry" is a hugely broad term that includes everyone from retail cashiers, nursing shift leads, geotechnical consultants, to cops

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

The main factor keeping "service industry" jobs awful to work in is that they're generally jobs that are "supposed to be" for women, non-white people, young people, etc. Notice how construction, which has become a "Mexican" job, isn't thought of in the way a job at a steel plant is.

Yea, fast food is "supposed o be" for teenagers but instead single mothers are trying to support themselves and two kids off it, and the people who own these companies laugh in the face of wage increases 'cause they'll just replace Constance with a goddamn computer who will do her job just as well as she does it, if not better.

Trump's call to action is only a stop gap, because automation isn't going to stop, but as to what to do about that, that's really a whole 'nother conversation. The point is, people alive now remember having work, good work that they took pride in, and that work went away for various reasons. Trump offered to bring that work back -- that's what got him elected, that's what won him the rust belt.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I can literally employ everyone, I can give us a 0% unemployment rate but Trump is too much an intellectual coward to do it.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

8-Bit Scholar posted:

What, you don't think Hillary Clinton ought to be tried for war crimes?

Trump dunked on Clinton hard whenever she played that card. I recall the second debate, where she said "I'm glad that somebody like you isn't running our nation's law enforcement" or something like that to which he chimed in "because you'd be in jail" which was funny as hell.

What ethnic cleansing did Trump boast about engaging in? Are you saying his failure to immediate condemn white supremacists by name (even though he did condemn bigotry and political violence of any side) is supposed to imply that? If so, are you not sure you're participating in a confirmation bias?

You said that you believe 25 percent to 30 percent of the American population is evil, which is a huge, huge amount of people. This isn't a matter of math; you believe that millions of people are evil, which suggests they are willfully malicious and/or hateful, cruel or otherwise engaged in wrongdoing at some fundamental level. That's an extremely worrying stance to take -- coupled with the fact that you just said you believe the government ought to punish "people like you" referring to me, I'm unsure I like how that combination goes together. Should that 30 percent of the population be given a "swift kick to the rear end" as well? Don't you think that's an astoundingly cruel attitude?

Jesus loving christ, apologist much? Take your trump boner elsewhere

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Trump offered to bring that work back -- that's what got him elected, that's what won him the rust belt.

yeah it's super easy to fool desperate people if you lie to them hard enough, turns out

this is not a stunning revelation to anyone except morons

SocketWrench posted:

Jesus loving christ, apologist much? Take your trump boner elsewhere

he won't, he's here to get probated so he can whine about how posting the truth in d&d gets you probated. it's his whole gimmick

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Yea, fast food is "supposed o be" for teenagers but instead single mothers are trying to support themselves and two kids off it, and the people who own these companies laugh in the face of wage increases 'cause they'll just replace Constance with a goddamn computer who will do her job just as well as she does it, if not better.

Trump's call to action is only a stop gap, because automation isn't going to stop, but as to what to do about that, that's really a whole 'nother conversation. The point is, people alive now remember having work, good work that they took pride in, and that work went away for various reasons. Trump offered to bring that work back -- that's what got him elected, that's what won him the rust belt.

if that argument holds water (it doesn't) then please explain how come the poc working class didn't break trump

:allears:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Trump's offer was a complete con. He did not and does not have the power to create those jobs and he knows it.

And so do you.

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

8-Bit Scholar posted:

You see, you think of retail jobs as inherently demeaning, rather than demeaning because of bad work conditions. Maybe instead of nationalist shibboleths about trade surpluses the labor struggle could move towards unionizing and improving those sectors.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

stone cold posted:

if that argument holds water (it doesn't) then please explain how come the poc working class didn't break trump

:allears:

What do you mean? Do you want me to explain why people of color in the working class didn't vote for Hillary "Superpredators" Clinton, a woman with a noted disdain for unions? Hard to say!

boner confessor posted:

yeah it's super easy to fool desperate people if you lie to them hard enough, turns out

Hold on, I thought the people who supported Trump were evil -- are they just desperate instead? Well that's already an improvement, now isn't it?

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.
https://twitter.com/axios/status/907003506976067584

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

8-Bit Scholar posted:

What do you mean? Do you want me to explain why people of color in the working class didn't vote for Hillary "Superpredators" Clinton, a woman with a noted disdain for unions? Hard to say!

She's asking why support for your beloved obese clownfish was racial rather than economic.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Guys I got bingo, where do I get my prize

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Trump won by like 50k votes in Michigan man, hardly a resounding victory over the forces of Shillary KKKlinton

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

8-Bit Scholar posted:

You possess a command of language that reflects an image in my mind. Imagine someone who has trained to be a valiant fencer, devotedly parsing the forms of the arts expressed through combat, or is it the other way around? With only empty space to attack, those gathered watch our combatant in growing interest, quickly blooming to wonder. The crowd is aghast, 'does he know he throws only bricks?'

Every toss has the coda of a cackling madman.

tl;dr-

YOU SUCK STOP POSTING

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Hold on, I thought the people who supported Trump were evil -- are they just desperate instead? Well that's already an improvement, now isn't it?

i have doubts about your ability or desire to debate with anyone when you seem to lack the skill to determine one individual from another and remember that they can say different things

no wonder it's easier for you to cry about hiveminds

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

holy poo poo you're dumb

go read the automation thread if you wanna know why it's stupid to say you can replace constance with a computer because jfc that's offensively stupid

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm gonna bring back the buggy whip industry

Vote for me, entire region of the US whose fathers made buggy whips

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

8-Bit Scholar posted:

lmao, now im impressed that you can even type considering you lack the ability to read and comprehend words

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Show me the modern politician that doesn't have massive disdain for unions, please.

Bernie's the gimme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Most actual leftists have been saying that labor in America is hosed, while Libertarian scrubs like you were busy fellating Ayn Rand, Ron Paul, Paul Ryan, Rand Ryan, Ron Rand, Ayn Ron and Milton Friedman.

Capitalism is literally eating itself. When Friedman-lovers like loving Larry Summers are calling for a return to unions to fight automation, maybe its time to see the writing on the wall.

So attempting to discuss Trump as anything but a piece of poo poo who has no interest in actually improving the labor conditions of workers in America has to be either blind ignorance or flat-out trolling.

• Locked thread