Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

khwarezm posted:

Ugh, I'm trying to counter this, so far I've mostly just pointed to my experience going to college in Europe and how it was much cheaper than what I would have had to deal with in America, but I really don't like leaving the intrinsic assumptions of his arguments about the integrity of capitalism unfettered by government intervention unchallenged, anybody have any thoughts and maybe data on the reasons for America's college costs and how the typical libertarian arguments around this are a crock of poo poo?

It has to do with "government intervention" only in perhaps the very loosest sense. This short piece in the Washington Post goes over some of it: one of the large issues is that enrollment has boomed while per-capita government investment has failed to keep pace. Another big driver is the massive expansion of administrative jobs and salaries: administration is growing at about five times the rate of the faculty, and administrators generally cost more at every level than faculty do. An expansion of the pool of college graduates has meant that a degree no longer serves the class-signaling function that it once did, so prestigious jobs are no longer a guarantee: this makes a degree a minimum qualification for many jobs rather than a guarantor. This contributes to the commodification of degrees: college administrators are now behaving like corporations in a seller's market, because they know people will continue paying for degrees in spite of vastly inflated costs. The reasonable solution to this would actually be more government oversight of universities, because it's very difficult to argue that expanding administration while decreasing the salaries of the teaching faculty is anything but an attempt to extract money from students while giving them as little as possible.

Source: study and teach at a large research university that's supposed to be one of the good ones but is still horrific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
The thread will probably turn on me for this, but I worked for a 3rd rate university last year as full-time non-tenure-track faculty and at the same time they hired me they hired a "Director of Diversity" or some such nonsense. I actually have skills that require thousands of hours of experience and have run my own university-level language program single-handedly, but he gets 4.5 times my salary.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't really see why this thread would dislike the idea that high level staff being paid stupid amounts while doing nothing of value is stupid.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I don't know why we'd assume a Director of Diversity was nonsense or doing nothing of value.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean I'm inherently suspicious of anybody that gets paid 4.5 times as much as someone else, I don't think people can work 4.5 times harder than other people per hour.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

JustJeff88 posted:

The thread will probably turn on me for this, but I worked for a 3rd rate university last year as full-time non-tenure-track faculty and at the same time they hired me they hired a "Director of Diversity" or some such nonsense. I actually have skills that require thousands of hours of experience and have run my own university-level language program single-handedly, but he gets 4.5 times my salary.

And how, exactly, do you know they don't have even more difficult to master skills?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

WrenP-Complete posted:

I don't know why we'd assume a Director of Diversity was nonsense or doing nothing of value.

I merely wanted to mention it as an anecdote showing the ridiculous salaries paid to administrators compared to teaching faculty; I would like to add that I have 8 years of experience as well, so I am no debutant. Having said that, I have no desire to discuss the issue further as at best it would derail the thread and at worst I would end up with an even more derogatory avatar.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I mean I'm inherently suspicious of anybody that gets paid 4.5 times as much as someone else, I don't think people can work 4.5 times harder than other people per hour.

I think that's a fair point in general. It feels suspect to me to particularly apply this to diversity related work.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
But why are you assuming it's completely unjustified?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

WrenP-Complete posted:

I think that's a fair point in general. It feels suspect to me to particularly apply this to diversity related work.

Well yes I was being sort of facetious by pretending that was what was meant :v:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
A diversity director is likely going to both have to have particularly impressive skills and credentials relevant to the day-to-day of the job they are doing, have unusual political skill to handle the delicacies of the role's interaction with sensitive issues, and have to be compensated for having a target painted on their back for the legal and political firestorm that is diversity.

Administration is, in my experience, far less of a source of unnecessary costs in higher education than organized sports.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

A diversity director is likely going to both have to have particularly impressive skills and credentials relevant to the day-to-day of the job they are doing, have unusual political skill to handle the delicacies of the role's interaction with sensitive issues, and have to be compensated for having a target painted on their back for the legal and political firestorm that is diversity.

Administration is, in my experience, far less of a source of unnecessary costs in higher education than organized sports.

When you add up the salaries, title 9 lawsuits against frats and jocks, and sorry-the-coach-molested-you-money, it's a big number

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

JustJeff88 posted:

Having said that, I have no desire to discuss the issue further as at best it would derail the thread and at worst I would end up with an even more derogatory avatar.

Don't do this poo poo. If you don't want to derail the thread, keep your mouth closed in the first place. If you want the last word, grow a pair and actually defend your argument so that you get the last word.

This "my argument is blah blah blah blah. Now (that I've had the last word) let's end this derail" poo poo is loving weak. And if you're that sensitive about your avatar then pay to get a new one, ffs

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Weatherman posted:

This "my argument is blah blah blah blah. Now (that I've had the last word) let's end this derail" poo poo is loving weak. And if you're that sensitive about your avatar then pay to get a new one, ffs

It's actually against the D&D rules

quote:

No Parting shots: Don't announce that you're leaving or done arguing because everyone else is wrong and dumb. Suck it up and leave with dignity or stick around and try to prove everyone else is dumb.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Saw an ad for this on Quora:

https://www.libertarianism.org/media/liberty-chronicles/antinomians-adrift-legend-libertalia

"Pirates were the true libertarians!"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pirates: Well known for adhering to the NAP.

Caros
May 14, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Pirates: Well known for adhering to the NAP.

It is really more of a guideline.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Caros posted:

It is really more of a guideline.

:golfclap:

On the other hand...I was trying to forget the fact that I saw that wretched new movie around seven times so far. :smith:

Mundrial Mantis
Aug 15, 2017

In regional politics, here is an article on how libertarianism is gaining a modern foothold in Latin America. It talks about the Atlas Network, the aid these think tanks get from American donors, the rebranding of libertarianism to appeal to the non-upper crust, and other items. I remember a libertarian friend of mine thinking about doing some charity work in Latin America in the near future. It would not surprise me if it was with one of those groups.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Ugh, don't even remind me. Libertarian-funded "grassroots movements" played a part in making the BBB ("Bullets, Bulls and Bibles") political bloc in Brazil impeach the last president (There was a crisis going on, but others got away with worse without incident) and then basically stall an endless number of corruption probes, skyrocket the deficit so they have excuses to privatize everything, and are now plotting to change the political system to a parliamentarian one so the next president won't have the power to undo their poo poo.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Sephyr posted:

Ugh, don't even remind me. Libertarian-funded "grassroots movements" played a part in making the BBB ("Bullets, Bulls and Bibles") political bloc in Brazil impeach the last president (There was a crisis going on, but others got away with worse without incident) and then basically stall an endless number of corruption probes, skyrocket the deficit so they have excuses to privatize everything, and are now plotting to change the political system to a parliamentarian one so the next president won't have the power to undo their poo poo.

Lol possibily the only case I've heard of where a parliamentary system means less democracy

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Lightning Lord posted:

Lol possibily the only case I've heard of where a parliamentary system means less democracy

Very much the case, in Brazil, where Congress is serially passing measures that 95% of the people oppose under the cover of a backstabbing vice-president. And if they switch systems, the same congress gets to pick the prime minister, and flip a royal bird to the people and the decorative president they voted for.

Our former Congress Majority Leader was investigated for about a dozen corruption cases running into the hundreds of millions in illegal cash, and yet was mysteriously never indicted until after he sped the impeachment along. Under a parliamentarian system, he'd likely have been the Prime Minister himself, given the power of his chitty feudal bloc..

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001
Was listening to public radio in the car this afternoon and they had some economist on arguing that, since the violence in modern vampire stories comes primarily from the monsters in question being unable to obtain what they need legitimately, the best way for people in those fictional worlds to reduce violence from vampires was to legalize sale of blood and let the market sort the rest out.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You'd think Peter Thiel would have better things to do than ring in to radio shows but apparently not.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

OwlFancier posted:

You'd think Peter Thiel would have better things to do than ring in to radio shows but apparently not.

Dude's extremely pathetic and more desperate for attention than Trump. He's the spoiled brat that never learned the difference between positive and negative attention and just desperately wants his name and face known around the world, even if it's for being a piece of poo poo. He's a bit like Richard Branson but at least he tries to get attention for more positive stuff.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Baronjutter posted:

Dude's extremely pathetic and more desperate for attention than Trump. He's the spoiled brat that never learned the difference between positive and negative attention and just desperately wants his name and face known around the world, even if it's for being a piece of poo poo. He's a bit like Richard Branson but at least he tries to get attention for more positive stuff.

It wasn't actually Peter Thiel. :ssh:

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Was listening to public radio in the car this afternoon and they had some economist on arguing that, since the violence in modern vampire stories comes primarily from the monsters in question being unable to obtain what they need legitimately, the best way for people in those fictional worlds to reduce violence from vampires was to legalize sale of blood and let the market sort the rest out.

That's.. glossing over a lot of potential details. Par for the course, I suppose.

There's also a movie based on that same concept, though I can't remember what it's called. Of course that raises the question: If being a vampire is fine and dandy and there's no violence because blood is readily available, how many might willingly become a vampire? Spoilers: loving everyone and humans are dying out and they're running out of sources of blood. Oops.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Buried alive posted:

That's.. glossing over a lot of potential details. Par for the course, I suppose.

There's also a movie based on that same concept, though I can't remember what it's called. Of course that raises the question: If being a vampire is fine and dandy and there's no violence because blood is readily available, how many might willingly become a vampire? Spoilers: loving everyone and humans are dying out and they're running out of sources of blood. Oops.

I think you're thinking of Daybreakers?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Buried alive posted:

establish a Minimum Vampirism Age, problem solved, thanks big government

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I thought the thing with most vampire lore was that becoming a vampire turns most people into violent sociopaths and doesn't merely change your dietary preferences

Leave it to a libertarian to just completely gloss over important details I guess

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

QuarkJets posted:

I thought the thing with most vampire lore was that becoming a vampire turns most people into violent sociopaths and doesn't merely change your dietary preferences

Leave it to a libertarian to just completely gloss over important details I guess

When you come from a sociopathic perspective, it all just seems baseline behavior I guess.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

So becoming a vampire just changes a libertarian's dietary preferences then.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

QuarkJets posted:

The sociopathic violence just comes from being old. You know how bitter older generations get about younger ones? Multiply that by centuries or more, and add in the fact that their own elders never die and never shut up about how wussified the English got ever since those damned Normans came in, and you'll start to get the picture.

Mundrial Mantis
Aug 15, 2017

Vampire libertarian chat reminds me of a part in David Graeber's The Utopia of Rules where he uses vampires and werewolves as an example of structural analysis. He points out that both transform people into monster through bites but they are are inversions of each other beyond that. Stock horror movie vampires are usually upper-class, tied to their land or crypt, and are defeated by wooden stakes which peasants can make easily. I can see parallels to libertarianism with its direct benefits to those already in power, property rights, and conflict with working-class concerns. Of course, it is very easy to make broad parallels to most political systems. But I find it amusing.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I would also throw in "secretly loving to inflict violence while constantly pretending to be the aggrieved party".

As someone with modest, passing knowledge of Vampire, the Masquerade, it isn't just about drinking blood to not die. The point is that each vampire has a feral beast inside it that they desperately try to control to stay close to their humanity. Some succeed while others develop other moral paths that completely spit upon conventional human morality. Now that is very much like libertarianism: a morality based purely upon doing whatever one wants and ruthless self-interest, coated with a wafer-thin gloss of intellectualism and respectability, that hates the government because it sees it as the only force stopping it from being Leader of the Pack. Libertarians are all inherently power-hungry and despise the government because they are both jealous of its superior power and resentful of anyone who prevents their slightest whim.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

JustJeff88 posted:

I would also throw in "secretly loving to inflict violence while constantly pretending to be the aggrieved party".

As someone with modest, passing knowledge of Vampire, the Masquerade, it isn't just about drinking blood to not die. The point is that each vampire has a feral beast inside it that they desperately try to control to stay close to their humanity. Some succeed while others develop other moral paths that completely spit upon conventional human morality. Now that is very much like libertarianism: a morality based purely upon doing whatever one wants and ruthless self-interest, coated with a wafer-thin gloss of intellectualism and respectability, that hates the government because it sees it as the only force stopping it from being Leader of the Pack. Libertarians are all inherently power-hungry and despise the government because they are both jealous of its superior power and resentful of anyone who prevents their slightest whim.

"I suppose, if you're one of those Brujah degenerates," I reply, Ventruishly.

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

Captain_Maclaine posted:

"I suppose, if you're one of those Brujah degenerates," I reply, Ventruishly.

Ugh, another Sabbat twitter bot? We must not let them turn the Camarilla against itself or we'll wind up with that orange Tzimisce as Prince!

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
something something anarchbros.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
hahaha you all know about a White Wolf game.

And I know enough to recognize that you know about it.

OH NO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
None of it matters since global warming the Antediluvians will kill us all soon anyway.