Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

https://gifsound.com/?gif=i.imgur.com/DiKzAx2.gif&v=tWhbyOzmh7I&s=27

I Greyhound fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The version of It that takes place in 2008 would for sure have Pennywise take the form of the Six Flags guy.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
For somewhat subtle parts of the movie, I really dug how prior to the blood bathroom scene with Beverly, as she is walking by her sleeping father that children's show is playing and you can hear the host of it talking about how much fun it is to play in the sewer.

Also, they totally did include THAT scene when the boys all help Beverly clean up the blood in the bathroom and thus metaphorically help to become less ashamed of her period/sexuality.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

fr0id posted:

For somewhat subtle parts of the movie, I really dug how prior to the blood bathroom scene with Beverly, as she is walking by her sleeping father that children's show is playing and you can hear the host of it talking about how much fun it is to play in the sewer.

I noticed this too and loved it.

The best part about the tv-related parts is the look the lady on the TV has when she walks off-screen. It's agony, like she's really being told to say this, doesn't want to, but doesn't have a choice..

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Loved the movie. I just wish that Pennywise had gotten more screen time. The way Skarsgard delivered lines was really, really enthralling to me. Also, whoever the kid that played Eddie was, that kid deserves more roles. Him and Richie bantering was aces.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That was totally Skarsgard as the random clown when Richie said he's afraid of clowns, right?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://gifsound.com/?gif=i.imgur.com/DiKzAx2.gif&v=eu2OYcgr4rM

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Yeah Mike's exclusion...was really loving bad

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I want to reiterate what a great idea it was for Stan to be afraid of a painting. I think lots of people have something from their childhood, like a painting hanging in your grandparents' house, or a woodcarving or statue, that got in your head and freaked you out. My childhood best friend and I exchanged stamps sometimes, and once I gave him back a stamp with a googly-eyed tribal mask on it because it gave me a nightmare.

On an unrelated note, though I didn't like Bev's kidnapping, I never felt like she was in distress. She was consistently the toughest character.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

NutritiousSnack posted:

Yeah Mike's exclusion...was really loving bad

It's pretty much a foregone conclusion that Ben is getting Mike's role in the next movie, right?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Pennywise had to actually grab her to get her. There was no way he was ever going to lure or trick her.

I thought it worked.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jonas Albrecht posted:

It's pretty much a foregone conclusion that Ben is getting Mike's role in the next movie, right?

You could give it back to Mike honestly. Since he's the only one who (could) stay behind. He takes over the mantle. And we could go into his past with his father and The Black Spot and possibly more Bowers stuff. Make the film mostly about him. Have him be the heart of the film.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

You could give it back to Mike honestly. Since he's the only one who (could) stay behind. He takes over the mantle. And we could go into his past with his father and The Black Spot and possibly more Bowers stuff. Make the film mostly about him. Have him be the heart of the film.

I'd really like that. Mike was my favorite character in the book, and I know we're not getting the great stuff with his dad, but his research would make for good cinema.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Jonas Albrecht posted:

It wouldn't make sense at this point for mike to be the lighthouse keeper now. Sure everyone who knows the book would be fine, but everyone just watching would think "huh? why isn't it the kid who was into and researching all this?".

The better thing would have just been to make Mike obsessed with the history of derry because of his parents deaths and maybe something strange that he remembers from when it happened. I would buy a kid who lost his parents to a fire when he was 4 or whatever, with vague memories of seeing a clown or something having news clipping and history facts plastered all over his walls easier than a random kid being obsessed for no reason.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Tom Guycot posted:

It wouldn't make sense at this point for mike to be the lighthouse keeper now. Sure everyone who knows the book would be fine, but everyone just watching would think "huh? why isn't it the kid who was into and researching all this?".

The better thing would have just been to make Mike obsessed with the history of derry because of his parents deaths and maybe something strange that he remembers from when it happened. I would buy a kid who lost his parents to a fire when he was 4 or whatever, with vague memories of seeing a clown or something having news clipping and history facts plastered all over his walls easier than a random kid being obsessed for no reason.

If they were really dedicated to the whole "Mike's parents are dead!" thing they could easily have made it so they died at the Black Spot which explains his fear of fire (having grown up hearing about it) and interest in history since he wouldn't have been there but would want to know more about his parents and what happened. It kind of sucks they not only stripped Mike of his entire character, but removed the bits of Ben that made him who he was in the book mostly - that he was smart and mechanically minded - since we didn't get the dam scene or the smoke house.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I guess I'd be fine if Mike turned out to be a famous architect, I was worried they were going to give him Stan's fate, but I think the movie foreshadowed that staying with Stan.

EDIT: I also wouldn't mind if Beverly got a different adult life.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Sep 11, 2017

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Nuebot posted:

If they were really dedicated to the whole "Mike's parents are dead!" thing they could easily have made it so they died at the Black Spot which explains his fear of fire (having grown up hearing about it) and interest in history since he wouldn't have been there but would want to know more about his parents and what happened.

Then Mike would've had to have been 27+ years old.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Man, the flute playing to cue the appearance of Stanley's fear was legitimately the most unsettling scene in the movie for me because I thought Pennywise was just gonna pop up in the painting or something and my heart seized up when I tried to imagine what that thing would look like or how it would move.

It's a whizbang setup for (Ch 2/book spoiler) what he does at the beginning of the adult stuff. He has his dad's motherfucking painting in his house - he is the skeptic, and we're still probably getting some kind of repression or memory loss - and the moment he hangs up the phone that flute starts playing and it all comes back to him and just yeah. gently caress me running.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That'd be dope as hell

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

CelticPredator posted:

That was totally Skarsgard as the random clown when Richie said he's afraid of clowns, right?

Nah, there was some other guy in the credits.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

yeah, this is the deeper problem of robbing Mike of any characterization and identity. it definitely felt like a time thing, as Stan also didn't have much going for him either, but Mike's absence was much louder for me, specifically cause he's such an integral character in both the book and the miniseries. But there's a really odd thing going with him being stripped of his identity so much that even his blackness isn't there. I think you can look at it in both a positive and negative way, for the reason you said. they were definitely working toward something new and promising with his storyline, but it wasn't given time to develop.

it's my one gripe with the film that I had while viewing it, and that I still have.

also, I'm aware of how odd it is to apparently be caught off guard that a character isn't being hate-crime'd, I hope that's not how this is coming across. Mike has plenty of characterization when he's alone, it's only when he's around the rest of the white cast that he becomes a nonentity.

That something strange I noticed about the movie as well. The movie is gleefully salacious about the abuse that Bev suffers from, but really tiptoes around Mike's race. I don't want to make the argument that what this movie really needs is more racism, but just that it has strange boundaries over what is acceptable.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Simplex posted:

That something strange I noticed about the movie as well. The movie is gleefully salacious about the abuse that Bev suffers from, but really tiptoes around Mike's race. I don't want to make the argument that what this movie really needs is more racism, but just that it has strange boundaries over what is acceptable.

Henry Bowers also gives us that hard F-bomb in his first scene

There's still an obvious racial subtext to the bullies' interactions with Mike, if only because the depiction of older, bigger white boys saying that poo poo about him being unwelcome is loaded with cultural baggage, but it does kinda feel like they're deliberately avoiding leaning into that or that somebody involved in writing the script went "well, one change is that the Civil Rights movement is over and racism is a solved issue in 1989 so"

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I thought they really overused 'Pennywise runs at a main character while vibrating'. The moments where he's more subtly sliding around like a human body shouldn't were creepier. I guess that is kinda how the first part went, hopefully he's less over the top next movie.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

wizard on a water slide posted:

Henry Bowers also gives us that hard F-bomb in his first scene

There's still an obvious racial subtext to the bullies' interactions with Mike, if only because the depiction of older, bigger white boys saying that poo poo about him being unwelcome is loaded with cultural baggage, but it does kinda feel like they're deliberately avoiding leaning into that or that somebody involved in writing the script went "well, one change is that the Civil Rights movement is over and racism is a solved issue in 1989 so"

Absolutely, its really strange that Henry Bowers seems 100 times more threatening, and hateful of mike in particular in the cheesy mini series than he ever does in this slick, well shot, well acted film. Its a weird thing to say I wish Bowers was more racially abusive to Mike, but in a film that had no problem showing a 6 year old with his arm ripped off in a pool of blood crying in the gutter, or an 11 year old girl hung up as a bloody torso, it came across as a really weird line they were afraid of crossing, and sanitized in a strange way. Mike's race, the Bowers family's reaction specifically because of that was such a big part of the book, the film felt like they could have cast another white kid in that role without it making one bit of difference or changing a single line of dialogue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-BFcds5Wak

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Was Henry's dad a cop in the book? I cant remember

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Was Henry's dad a cop in the book? I cant remember

Nah, he was a bigoted PTSD ww2 vet who had a poor farm down the road from Ben's dad.

EDIT: vvvvvvvvvvvvv Right right, I meant to type Mike. The movie's changes must have subconsciously drilled into my brain :v:

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Sep 11, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Tom Guycot posted:

Nah, he was a bigoted PTSD ww2 vet who had a poor farm down the road from Ben's dad.

Mike's dad. He specifically had a vendetta against Mike's father and blamed him for basically every problem in his life and his views combined with his abuse really formed Henry into the kid he was which is why, in the book at least, he was so especially hateful of Mike.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Nuebot posted:

Mike's dad. He specifically had a vendetta against Mike's father and blamed him for basically every problem in his life and his views combined with his abuse really formed Henry into the kid he was which is why, in the book at least, he was so especially hateful of Mike.

Mike's dad's confrontation with Butch Bowers was one of the few :hellyeah: adult stories in Pt 1.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

clockworx posted:

Mike's dad's confrontation with Butch Bowers was one of the few :hellyeah: adult stories in Pt 1.

Mike's dad was a loving standout among the adults, and I'm convinced that if the kids had come to him about IT, he probably would have helped.

BobKnob
Jul 23, 2002

Vikings are pirates only cooler. Oh yeah not a furry.
I preferred Pennywise as a human than a CGI creature. Bill Skarsgard was deliciously creepy and I would have preferred more dialogue from him to sprinting cgi clown scenes. The garage scene was unexpected and great though.

I was disappointed they didn't have a Tim Curry clown toy/mannequin in the clown room.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
The Losers defeat Pennywise by overcoming their fear of him. I think Pennywise is a metaphor for drug-induced hallucinations. Hallucinations can't harm you if you acknowledge that they're just harmless hallucinations. I hear Stephen King was doing a lot of drugs in those days.

curiosity fucked me up
Oct 7, 2014

BobKnob posted:

I was disappointed they didn't have a Tim Curry clown toy/mannequin in the clown room.

cowbeef
Apr 21, 2010

Panfilo posted:

Pennywise shapeshifting from Georgie form to Clown Form was pretty freaky. The limb growing back, pompoms sprouting on his feet, and stretching out really made Pennywise look very organic that challenges 'its just an illusion'.

It was straight up Palmer or Norris turning into their "Thing" forms with the body spasms and contorting limbs. I loved that part. Especially since it had just followed the great acting between Bill and Georgie. "Bill, I wanna go hooooome." :(

I'll echo one criticism made by Red Letter Media that I agree with. The appearances of Pennywise and the monsters felt very routine? It was like a metronome every 8 minutes. Instead of letting some scenes simmer and build some more time for Ben and Mike, the breakneck pacing would end a scene early and move on to the next spooky moment. It didn't ruin the experience for me, it just lessened the impact of Pennywise's appearances later on. I still give it a solid 3/4 stars. I'm hoping there's an extended version of the movie with 30+ more minutes of material on Blu-Ray.

cowbeef fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Sep 11, 2017

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
The somewhat formulaic/episodic nature of the scares is more acceptable if you consider the film to more of a fantasy adventure film with a horror overlay than an out-and-out horror film.

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Time for some thrilling heroics.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Mike's dad was a loving standout among the adults, and I'm convinced that if the kids had come to him about IT, he probably would have helped.

I wonder if this is the exact reason they left him out of the movie? This is a movie focused on the children, and every adult has something...weird or wrong with them. I think I would have hated it more if Mike's dad had the same treatment. I'd rather him be left out then see him be influenced by IT.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Dug the movie. Never read the book, only saw bits of the 1990 version when it came out.

In the book does it continue on as adults? Is King writing another book? Is another movie being made?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Philthy posted:

Dug the movie. Never read the book, only saw bits of the 1990 version when it came out.

In the book does it continue on as adults? Is King writing another book? Is another movie being made?

The kidding and adult parts of the book are intercut with each other, really effectively actually.

There will be a sequel for the movie but the book will have no follow up.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Great movie. One thing I liked was how, especially in the opening scene, there were moments when it looked like one of IT's eyes was pointed directly at us, the viewers, as if IT was watching us too.

DorianGravy fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The kidding and adult parts of the book are intercut with each other, really effectively actually.

There will be a sequel for the movie but the book will have no follow up.

To be fair King has actually hinted at a followup to It. The Losers appear in some of his other books (most recently his JFK assassination one where Richie and Bev make a fairly significant appearance) and scattered throughout his books are hints that It has survived, things like "Pennywise Lives" graffiti. I don't know if he'll pull the switch but he did make a sequel to The Shining so...

• Locked thread