Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I liked tiny Mad Hatter, honestly. It suited his personality more and felt a lot more unique than the weirdly broad shouldered and tall version they had before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

catlord posted:

A free trial of Amazon Prime including streaming? Don't mind if I do.

Taking advantage of that to watch Batman the Animated Series and Superman the Animated Series, since I've seen very little of Batman, and none of Superman. It's fascinating how different Batman feels to all the later shows in the DCAU, a little... slapdash, I guess, though not bad at all, but where Superman takes three episodes to establish the characters and everything, Batman just tosses us Man-Bat, and Robin just suddenly appears in a couple episodes of season 1 (by Amazon's listing) only to disappear again. It's real strange, I can see the elements that became the DCAU, but at the same time it doesn't feel at all like the later shows. I think part of it is the art style, since it's not the refined version they used for the later series, it stands out more.

Didn't the Robin thing happen because they were produced or aired wildly out of order or something like that

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The best BTAS character design will always be Billy the Seal Boy.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

site posted:

Didn't the Robin thing happen because they were produced or aired wildly out of order or something like that

They weren't aired in production order, the first episode aired was actually a Catwoman episode (The Cat and the Claw part 1, though it took them a week to air the second part), followed by the Manbat episode, though On Leather Wings was the first in production order. I guess the second in production was Christmas With the Joker, which had Robin in it, but also was the 38th episode they aired. The first episode with Robin shown was Fear of Victory, 19th in airdate, 24th in production. He shows up as a hallucination in Dreams in Darkness, 31st aired, 28th made, which is the furthest I've watched so far (Amazon has them in production order, but splits the seasons weirdly). So, yes, they were aired out of order of their production, but that apparently has nothing to do with Robin's appearances.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Batman went straight in because the cartoon was building on the (then recent) Burton movies.

I'd heard that, it certainly explains some choices.

purple death ray posted:

Actually the rest of the dcau is poorer for not sticking with the original animation style from BTAS, not the other way around.

Batman Beyond would have looked very interesting.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I think there's something in the series bible about just dropping Robin in and out as needed. That's why they made him a college student, so he could be Gone when they just wanted to tell a story about Batman. I would assume they assumed even years after super friends and Batman 66 people still knew who Robin was.

If it was based on the movies they did a bad job because before Burton left what would eventually become Batman Forever they were looking at Marlon Wayans for Robin.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I liked how they handled Robin, even as a kid. He had his own life, he was growing up, he didn't have to be Robin all the time.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

purple death ray posted:

I think there's something in the series bible about just dropping Robin in and out as needed. That's why they made him a college student, so he could be Gone when they just wanted to tell a story about Batman. I would assume they assumed even years after super friends and Batman 66 people still knew who Robin was.

If it was based on the movies they did a bad job because before Burton left what would eventually become Batman Forever they were looking at Marlon Wayans for Robin.

Billy Dee Williams as Two Face and Marlon Wayans as Robin, that would have been a hell of a film.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

howe_sam posted:

Making Metropolis a gleaming city of tomorrow is a good design choice that fits with Superman's character. Just like making Gotham a permanently dark Art Deco city fit with Batman.

But that's just it, they didn't do that. They were going to go way more "CITY of the FUTURE!!" 50s sci fi with it, then they toned it down so it felt more like a regular town that could exist in the modern world, and wrote the show as if it was set in the 'normal' world as well.

TFRazorsaw posted:

TNBA Scarecrow is the superior design.

For the Undertaker, maybe.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

He looked scary. Yanno the whole point of the Scarecrow.

BTAS took several passes at him and they were all terminally goofy.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's a cool design but it doesn't fit with the personality or the voice of the BTAS Scarecrow, like at all. I look at the character and I expect him to speak with a southern accent. I don't think of a scrawny college professor named after Ichabod Crane.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TFRazorsaw posted:

He looked scary. Yanno the whole point of the Scarecrow.

Actually the point of the scarecrow is that he isn't scary at all.

Mumbly
Apr 12, 2007
There was a B:TAS/current Ninja Turtles cartoon crossover comic that came out not long ago. According to that, the reason Scarecrow's design changed between B:TAS and the New Adventures was because Batman and the turtles told Crane he wasn't scary.

Mumbly fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 8, 2017

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

I like scary Scarecrow. It's his job to be scary.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
So do Teen Titans GO!'s creators just subsist off the tears of the fanboys of the original 00s Teen Titans cartoon or what?
Because I almost feel like the bait and switch moments are deliberately antagonistic at this point

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

KaosMachina posted:

So do Teen Titans GO!'s creators just subsist off the tears of the fanboys of the original 00s Teen Titans cartoon or what?
Because I almost feel like the bait and switch moments are deliberately antagonistic at this point

It's kind of funny how I remember crusty jerks being absolutlely furious about the original Teen Titans cartoon not being Bruce Timm styled and ripping into the fans and now those fans are the crusty jerks.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Yes. I think they realized pretty early on that there was literally no way to please that crowd and they would always be pretty rough toward them. So screw it, might as well fire back.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Lightning Lord posted:

It's kind of funny how I remember crusty jerks being absolutlely furious about the original Teen Titans cartoon not being Bruce Timm styled and ripping into the fans and now those fans are the crusty jerks.
A lot of it wasn't that people were actually upset with the show for what it was. Back in the day myself and other Toon Zone folks connected the new Teen Titans show with a comment that Batman made on Static Shock that Tim was with the Titans. We all assumed from the comment that Teen Titans would be another DCAU show even against reason when it became clear that it wasn't true.

A lot of folks were also bummed in general because there was an assumption of "The Bat Embargo." I don't know if TImm ever officially confirmed it in when he would sporadicly post on Toon Zone, but a lot of people blamed The Batman and Teen Titans for being the reason that Justice League seemed apparently barred from having members of the Bat-Family appear on Justice League. Of course creating many a (stupid) debate around where things took place in relation to the Return of the Joker flashbacks or Bruce's falling out with Dick.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean, they basically derived their character designs from the old show and use the same voice actors, as well as versions of specific villains that differ heavily from their comic depictions, as well as villains that originated in or are exclusive to the show.

Whereas the old show completely did its own thing, and didn't even try to be anything like BTAS beyond broad similarities that had become standards of animation and character design by that point.

It also exists because of the success of the New Teen Titans Shorts that aired on DC Nation.

If they didn't want comparisons to the old show... I'm sorry, but what did they expect? I feel the show is poor on its own lack of merit, but really, it feels incredibly naive to expect the old fanbase not to judge it at all when it's deriving so very much from it. The old cartoon tried to strike a balance between deriving inspiration from the comics and taking its own direction and identity, but TTG relies on the old show far more than the original did the comics or any other contemporary cartoons.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

It wasn't just Toon Zone, I remember people all over the internet screaming about how it was GODDAMN ANIMES

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Are people still mad about the Bat-Embargo? I was re-watching some JLU a few days ago, and not having Bat-baggage to deal with probably let them have more freedom with their selection of villains. I didn't know who the hell was in the Legion of Doom, and I liked that feeling.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lightning Lord posted:

It wasn't just Toon Zone, I remember people all over the internet screaming about how it was GODDAMN ANIMES

I didn't watch it because I found the anime-style flourishes to be offputting and the frenetic pacing of the dialogue obnoxious, but I didn't flip my lid about it either, or yell at people who liked the show. If I can be reasonable about things I don't like I don't see why everyone else can't.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Are people still mad about the Bat-Embargo?

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

you have no idea

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

I didn't watch it because I found the anime-style flourishes to be offputting and the frenetic pacing of the dialogue obnoxious, but I didn't flip my lid about it either, or yell at people who liked the show. If I can be reasonable about things I don't like I don't see why everyone else can't.

This was "nuke Japan again for making DBZ" level commentary, brother

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Lurdiak posted:

Most people can, it's just that those people typically don't spend their free time posting on the internet about cartoons/games/movies/comics/etc. Granted, social media definitely tipped the scales a bit due to accessibility, but in the general history of internet discussion, or fan communities in general, a lot of essentially crazy people have had a dominant presence. Most people just don't care about entertainment enough to go looking for "communities" and many of the ones that do are looking for more than a simple, casual discussion.

That said, I remember plenty of people hating TT because of the weird faux anime style (and not being in the DCAU proper, to a lesser extent.) I didn't care for the overall style or tone of the show either, though I eventually watched a bunch of it. I disliked The Batman due to it's stylistic choices as well, but again, I eventually watched some of it. TTGO has gotten multiple chuckles from me and I have probably watched more of it at this point than its predecessor, though I did stop watching it recently.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I thought that was more just the fact that Batman in the DCAU turned out to be so serious, so he kind of didn't fit in as much, especially on the wacky space adventures.

And then when he does show up, a lot of his aspects got really exaggerated, either to keep him relevant among all the superpowered heroes or to fit in better as part of an ensemble cast.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Are people still mad about the Bat-Embargo? I was re-watching some JLU a few days ago, and not having Bat-baggage to deal with probably let them have more freedom with their selection of villains. I didn't know who the hell was in the Legion of Doom, and I liked that feeling.

Not mad, but I think it was a bad decision since it ruled out some of the other fun members of the Bat-Family (Batgirl, Nightwing, etc).

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Not mad, but I think it was a bad decision since it ruled out some of the other fun members of the Bat-Family (Batgirl, Nightwing, etc).

Given what Timm likes to do with Batgirl, that might have been for the best too

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

TFRazorsaw posted:

I mean, they basically derived their character designs from the old show and use the same voice actors, as well as versions of specific villains that differ heavily from their comic depictions, as well as villains that originated in or are exclusive to the show.

Whereas the old show completely did its own thing, and didn't even try to be anything like BTAS beyond broad similarities that had become standards of animation and character design by that point.

It also exists because of the success of the New Teen Titans Shorts that aired on DC Nation.

If they didn't want comparisons to the old show... I'm sorry, but what did they expect? I feel the show is poor on its own lack of merit, but really, it feels incredibly naive to expect the old fanbase not to judge it at all when it's deriving so very much from it. The old cartoon tried to strike a balance between deriving inspiration from the comics and taking its own direction and identity, but TTG relies on the old show far more than the original did the comics or any other contemporary cartoons.

They were always going to get comparisons to the old show, and I don't think they care about what some whiny fans who can't let go of their childhood think.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

sure, that's why they made at least four episodes about telling them off.

because they don't care.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Maybe they just think it's funny to rile people up.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Maybe, but that's still a form of investment in what those people think.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The Bat-Embargo always kinda bummed me out, but it wasn't the worst thing ever. The only thing I think was missing would've been a Nightwing appearance. Joker's appearances in JL worked I think because he was very rarely around and hardly any other Bat-villains were. The real sadness was that Batman could only ever be alluded to in TT.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Didn't it take a lot of work for them to even have the suits allow that 2 second Nightwing cameo in the proto-Birds of Prey episode?

EDIT: Speaking of, I'm watching the Batman/Harley movie and... it's pretty decent so far? Even the scene with Harley and Nightwing hooking up feels mostly in-character, given that they're going with something in-between the DCAU and modern comics versions of the characters.

Hell, even the stinger would make a decent gimmick for a run on Harley's solo title, her being a celeb shrink in the Dr Phil mode seems like good fodder for gags and stories.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 11, 2017

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

TFRazorsaw posted:

sure, that's why they made at least four episodes about telling them off.

because they don't care.

Yes, I am glad you agree so now you can stop whining about it and move on.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Just saying, people don't repeatedly write about things they're not concerned with.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
They are in a position to take free jabs at the impotent whining of man children, and their actual fans don't mind it, so why wouldn't they? What does the word "care" even mean in this context? They aren't doing it because they are mad and angry. They are doing it because they can collect a paycheck to make fun of sad idiots from the internet who have a grudge against their children's cartoon.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That's the thing. They aren't really "jabs" at anyone. Each episode is set up to make one of the characters, be it a member of the regular cast or someone like Control Freak, represent either the fandom or reviewers or some vague executive. to pick up and represent the negative opinions people have about the show, and the rest of the episode's energy is spent on explaining why these people are totally wrong. It'd almost be more refreshing if it WERE legitimately making fun of people for disliking them, but each one is more like an essay on why the show is actually beyond reproach.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I just saw an episode were the main threat is them being rebooted and the characters finding out they were rebooted once before and wishing they were still cool like that.

So I don't think so Tim

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The same episode has them trying to prove themselves to Control Freak, the same nerd the original series would take the piss out of. They don't make fun of him so much as they demand his approval, before deciding they don't need it and Are Just Fine The Way They Are. He's not so much a loser who's imposing his preferences over the show so much as a god-like figure they have to barter with.

Then later they do a Sealab 2021 version of the show they revere? Admire? Don't care about?

Whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

But at no point do they lambast the past show at all.

They give reasons why it was cool and then drop it.