Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Low Desert Punk posted:

Inception is a schlocky Hollywood blockbuster in an art film's skin. Which, there's nothing wrong with that, but that's what it is. It looks pretty, though.
Yeah it's not that I hated Inception, but instead of some complex masterpiece work about dreams or whatever that fans hyped it as back when it was new it's instead an okay movie about people playing a bank heist video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
The only problem with Inception was the marketing, which directly compared it to Blade Runner and 2001. An 8 pushed as a 10 always looks more like a 6.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I really didn't mean to make this into a discussion about other directors and I *certainly* didn't want a discussion about THAT director and THAT movie, I just wanted to cite an example of a mainstream film by another director with a purposely ambiguous ending, that's it. I really think we should stick to Lynch/Peaks there is so much fertile ground there at the moment guys :)

I find it fantastic that Lynch's exec. producer refuted the overlap poo poo in her AMA, because I really really didn't like the idea of that being the definitive reading of the episodes, either. It seems simplistic and there's far more going on.

I don't think that means that other parts weren't meant to sync up to some degree at times - like I'm fairly positive that the boxing loop Sarah Palmer watches is meant to sync up with the Woodsman repeating the poem, or that we're at least meant to view a connection between those two scenes - it's not as if you need to watch them perfectly sync'd to noticed the similarities, I'm pretty sure people noticed immediately while liveposting in this thread. That's kinda the difference, I think.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Modrasone posted:

Audrey thought she had Door Anxiety but realised after a strange incident of nostalgia that she was actually living inside her own head and something terrible had happened to her. Sarah had a demon living inside of her and ultimately a framed picture of her daughter bore the brunt of that. These are endings. Okay they are not the kind of endings you'd get in something by, say, George Martin (not the Beatles one) or in something by Julia Donaldson, but they are endings nonetheless. I feel you though, I would have had Audrey's story end with her getting her coat and going to the Roadhouse and meeting Coop and then saying "let's fight evil" and then they fight the evil and everyone has a smiling party after they fight the evil (they win) but that's not what happened and I guess I'll just go back to looking at that 1990's promo photo of Cooper looking out of the window while Audrey looks at Cooper and they might have sex soon.

As for Sarah I kind of wished Cooper would have gone through all of that stuff in Episode 18 even though it made no sense to me, or my therapist, but when he opens the door Sarah is there, rather than the lady from the Chromatics, and Cooper is like, "Sarah Palmer, or should I say Mother, I mean her mother (pointing at Laura) not mine that would be weird, I have been waiting long for this day". And Sarah is completely unfazed. That big hair of hers is bigger somehow and there electric poo poo dancing through it like intra-cloud lightning. "Dale Cooper," she says "I too knew this day would come. You have grown powerful in your green suit and all that weird poo poo you did with the world's most obvious stroke victim and the kettle thing".

Beads of sweat are visible on Coop's forehead as we zoom in on his face. He composes himself and lets out a rallying cry. "FIRE WALK WITH ME!" he bellows in a cool way as he shoots fire from his hands and Sarah does backflips and goes through a window or something equally epic as the two of them engage in jaw dropping physical and energetic combat. One shot gets repeated like three times in quick succession just to show you how awesome what just happened was. But oh no, Sarah grabs hold of a bag of Pine Weasel's and throws them at Coop and he's down and maybe out. Laura just stands there with her hands over her mouth. "This is, excuse me," says Sarah in a voice like shredded treacle, "a drat Dead Coop" and she raises some sharp object like a knife or a chainsaw or something, but just then, JUST THEN, a 1960's Gretch guitar comes swinging out of the corner of the frame and connects with Sarah's head, which shatters totally and sends Pine Weasel's flying to all corners. Coop looks up, beaten but grateful. The camera pans back to reveal the Cockney Boy and his friend James, whose guitar is caked in the gore of victory. "Just you and I, Coop my old friend, just you and I" says James and cheering can be heard behind them. The camera pans back to show the entire crowd from the defeat of Evil Coop in the Sheriff's Station stood in the road.

"But how did you all get here?" says Coop, acting confused. "Bought meself a blummin Tardis innit!" says the Cockney boy with the Green Glove as the camera pans to show a potentially huge legal problem for Rancho Rosa Productions in the background. "Well, as I always say," says Coop, beaming from ear to ear, sure of his final victory over I dunno what the gently caress, "everyday, once a day, buy . . . yourself . . . . a . . .Tardis?". The actor Kyle McLaughlin looks really unsure and kind of embarrassed delivering such an obviously bad line which might endanger the whole production due to lawsuits but everyone cheers anyway and the camera pans through the crowd, Lucy, Andy and all, before finally resting on a shot of Gordon Cole chewing a pair of panties.

a+ for effort by the way

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

a+ for effort by the way

And T for nice Try :smug:

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Was watching bits and pieces of Episode 8, and I started wondering if maybe Judy was inhabiting Sarah as kind of an egg, and would at some point "hatch" into another form. That is, if we assume the bug is some manifestation of Judy, and it's young Sarah that gets inhabited.

Note the same sort of primordial soup greyscale stuff inside, and how Sarah's face hinges off like the eggshell. Seeing as a spirit like BOB doesn't need to physically, parasitically invade a host, maybe that means Judy was planning on giving herself a more powerful physical form in the "real" world.

Also, Episode 8 is a truly incredible piece of television. Maybe the best I've ever seen.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Episode 8 is amazing. Whatever my issues with the finale, the whole season was worth it for episode 8.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Question: Does anyone still have that image a dude made where Laura's face in the golden orb is replaced with Dick Tremayne?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is the nightmarish Las Vegas sub-division set a real place, or a sound stage?

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
I watched episode 8 on an international flight halfway between Amsterdam and Hong Kong after several weeks of jet lag and poor sleep. 10/10 would highly recommend.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Man, Sunday night without Twin Peaks blows.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Now it is us that have the faces of stone.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
david linch is a cuck

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Inception's ending is quite clear. You never find out what's the totem of Leo, the only one you see him play with all the time is his wife's totem and were kinda made to believe he then adopts it as his own.

That's not it at all. His totem is is wedding ring. Any time his in a dream, he doesn't wear it, once he's out, either at the beginning or end of the movie, he's wearing it. His totem is the wedding ring and he know's he's out of the dream and with his family.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Odddzy posted:

Inception's ending is quite clear. You never find out what's the totem of Leo, the only one you see him play with all the time is his wife's totem and were kinda made to believe he then adopts it as his own.

That's not it at all. His totem is is wedding ring. Any time his in a dream, he doesn't wear it, once he's out, either at the beginning or end of the movie, he's wearing it. His totem is the wedding ring and he know's he's out of the dream and with his family.

you don't even need that cue, though

there's no point to showing the audience the top's wobble unless he's not in the dream; if the ending were supposed to be uncertain it would make more sense to show the top continue spinning until it cuts

I've never understood why anyone thinks the ending is confusing or debatable

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

just probate anyone who has talked about other directors at this point whose names rhyme with "istopher" - *including me* seriously lets learn from this horrendous error and we all move on before this fire spreads ANY FURTHER

trying to be the fireman

Fastened Portal Bart
Dec 16, 2004
Tally ho!

sector_corrector posted:

Is the nightmarish Las Vegas sub-division set a real place, or a sound stage?

Dunno where it is exactly but yes, that is what suburban Las Vegas looks like

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_Qwo8sT9U0 (Moby - Go)

This showed up on a mix today and reminded me of the early 90's. There was something very special about the way the nation fixated on Twin Peaks. It might have had something to do with no social media or cell phones or streaming video. And the Simpsons were funny.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

kaworu posted:

Or one of my favorite directors, Jim Jarmusch - I'm fairly certain a number of his films deliberately ask almost no questions, and provide fewer answers. Down By Law is a wonderful, beautiful, enchanting film where questions and answers are entirely beside the point, unless they involve the mechanics of survival and living.
Everyone who liked the first Audrey scene when it first aired owes it to themselves to watch The Limits Of Control, which if you have that mindset features one of the funniest lines ever committed to film that doesn't work at all if you just quote it.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I think you guys are onto something with this syncing stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBOI8FmFuMU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kaworu posted:

just probate anyone who has talked about other directors at this point whose names rhyme with "istopher" - *including me* seriously lets learn from this horrendous error and we all move on before this fire spreads ANY FURTHER

trying to be the fireman

so what do you all think of the bat mans

also responding to the above post I love Jarmusch but not sure if I would be able to handle Limits of Control from what I know about it

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

HorseRenoir posted:

I scrolled to a random time, and the only thing I could make out above the din was Gordon Cole yelling "THIS IS IMPORTANT"

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

HorseRenoir posted:

lmao

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

HE WANTS THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU!

HorseRenoir posted:

Pfff. Get on my level

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS0ypL6sF48

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I... I think I can see David Bowie!

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

wizard on a water slide posted:

there's no point to showing the audience the top's wobble unless he's not in the dream; if the ending were supposed to be uncertain it would make more sense to show the top continue spinning until it cuts

I've never understood why anyone thinks the ending is confusing or debatable

Because you don't see it drop

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I can't believe Leland was in one scene and said two words. What a loving waste.

Not sure what I think about Bob being destroyed by a guy with a garden glove. It almost seems like a pisstake.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Alan_Shore posted:

I can't believe Leland was in one scene and said two words. What a loving waste.

Not sure what I think about Bob being destroyed by a guy with a garden glove. It almost seems like a pisstake.
https://twitter.com/AndrewIhla/status/907152637631401984

https://twitter.com/AndrewIhla/status/907152710423552000

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I never had a problem with super strong Nadine. She's strong in the first episode.

Though if she had punched Bob to death in S2 followed by Coop giving her a thumbs up everyone would have poo poo on it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Alan_Shore posted:

I never had a problem with super strong Nadine. She's strong in the first episode.

Though if she had punched Bob to death in S2 followed by Coop giving her a thumbs up everyone would have poo poo on it.
Well yeah, that couldn't have happened pre-FWWM.

FWWM set the stage for a lot of season 3.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I would not have poo poo on Nadine knocking BOB around with Dr. Amp's shovel.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

At first glance Freddie and his glove does seem like something from a non-Lynch S2 episode, up there with wacky signs falling from the sky in the Black Lodge. I don't know what to make of it. It definitely wouldn't fit in FWWM

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I was just thinking about Carl's Van Whistle.

:allears:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

This is it. We can close the thread, now. :allears:

Alan_Shore posted:

At first glance Freddie and his glove does seem like something from a non-Lynch S2 episode, up there with wacky signs falling from the sky in the Black Lodge. I don't know what to make of it. It definitely wouldn't fit in FWWM

I mean, it's not as great as FWWM's funniest scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOCwhCw_Y_s

but it'll do. (The moment when she places a tiny bit of bark on the corpse in particular. Holy poo poo.)

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Watching that reminds of how absolutely perfect Badalamenti's score is in that movie. Not just the composed music but also the diegetic music is just so goddamn fantastic.

I really, really have to give a fuckton of credit to Episode 8 once again, though - that episode seriously might have the best use of sound and music that I have ever seen used within a single 60 minutes. Like, every single one of my favorite pieces of music on the show practically (besides a lot of other stuff but there were a lot of good bands at the roadhouse ok).

But seriously, Ep 8 really runs the freaking gamut! You go from slowed down Moonlight Sonata, which was the really chilling music that plays whenever the Woodsmen do their bloody ritual on Bad Cooper - straight into like a five-and-a-half minute live NIN song that freaking *rules* with the entire band head-to-toe in black leather.

From there we jump to one of the great modern composers in Penderecki and his Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima, a theme that repeats in later episodes at key moments, but is played longest here as we zoom in on the results of the Trinity Test.

After a lot of typical rough peripheral noisy and scratchy sound effects that terrify me, we get yet another great song: The Platters recording of the old standard My Prayer, which of course returns during the sex scene we see between Coop and Diane... It's one of the things that makes me wonder just a little about what year it is on the night when they rent that motel

fake edit: On a slightly interesting and kinda bizarre note, I was reading the Wikipedia page for "The Platters" (which was a really quite popular black R&B/early rock n roll group) and I happened to notice that the groups second-longest tenured member is a fella by the name of David Lynch - no poo poo. Weird coincidence, makes me wonder.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

kaworu posted:

After a lot of typical rough peripheral noisy and scratchy sound effects that terrify me, we get yet another great song: The Platters recording of the old standard My Prayer, which of course returns during the sex scene we see between Coop and Diane... It's one of the things that makes me wonder just a little about what year it is on the night when they rent that motel

There's gotta be a gearhead out there that can ID what year the Lincoln they drove into the first motel is from.

I loved the last episode. The only regret is that we didn't get one more scene with grace zabriskie, cause her performance all season long was so incredible. I don't know that it would have wrapped up the season any better, I just wanted to see her on screen one more time. Instead we got sheryl lee kinda fumbling through her new character. She wasn't bad, but just not electric like she was in FWWM.

Slum Village
Oct 6, 2013

kaworu posted:

Watching that reminds of how absolutely perfect Badalamenti's score is in that movie. Not just the composed music but also the diegetic music is just so goddamn fantastic.

I really, really have to give a fuckton of credit to Episode 8 once again, though - that episode seriously might have the best use of sound and music that I have ever seen used within a single 60 minutes. Like, every single one of my favorite pieces of music on the show practically (besides a lot of other stuff but there were a lot of good bands at the roadhouse ok).

But seriously, Ep 8 really runs the freaking gamut! You go from slowed down Moonlight Sonata, which was the really chilling music that plays whenever the Woodsmen do their bloody ritual on Bad Cooper - straight into like a five-and-a-half minute live NIN song that freaking *rules* with the entire band head-to-toe in black leather.

From there we jump to one of the great modern composers in Penderecki and his Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima, a theme that repeats in later episodes at key moments, but is played longest here as we zoom in on the results of the Trinity Test.

fake edit: On a slightly interesting and kinda bizarre note, I was reading the Wikipedia page for "The Platters" (which was a really quite popular black R&B/early rock n roll group) and I happened to notice that the groups second-longest tenured member is a fella by the name of David Lynch - no poo poo. Weird coincidence, makes me wonder.

Also the amazingly otherworldly "Slow 30s" song and what might be my new favourite Badalamenti track in "The Fireman"

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
I had a dream last night I, and some friends, were doing some sort of Twin Peaks ARG.
We got to the end, we were on some elevator-like platform and then David Lynch appears (from some red curtains, natch) and says something like:
"Now that you've completed all this, you can think to yourself 'now I have more time work instead of play, or even play instead of work'"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

One of the producers confirmed on Reddit that the Blu-ray announcement will be coming soon.