Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Is the helmsman the unfunny black guy or the Captain MacFarlane's supportive best friend guy?

The latter. The black guy's the navigator, iirc. In my opinion, he's not grating like the helmsman is.

("I'm still learning names.")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Rigel posted:

I really don't understand why the critics blasted this show so badly. I mean, its not going to be the greatest show ever made on TV, but its a solid, entertaining show and I'm already committed to watching the season. How the hell did it get 11% on rotten tomatoes?

I can definitely see where the negative reaction is coming from. I'm sure some reviewers were pissed that this is literally just Star Trek and not something that's explicitly making fun of Star Trek, but lots of stuff didn't work for me. I kind of wish this wasn't trying to be a comedy at all. Almost every single gag was some weird aside that completely broke the flow of the episode or outright interrupted a scene, which just made the really groan worthy ones stand out even more.

I don't know. I'll give it a few more episodes, but only because I'm a huge nerd that desperately wants Galaxy Quest: The TV Show to actually exist.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 11, 2017

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
I liked the pilot. The idea of a utopian society at the highest levels that has real humans populating it and running it has, in many ways, even more of an appeal than the Roddenberry-esque humanish characters in the TNG era. The fact that human characters that are flawed mistake makers can work to make a better place and explore the galaxy is really encouraging, especially given today's zietgeist.

The humor works sometimes, and sometimes it doesn't. When it did I laughed pretty hard, so that's a plus in my book. I think the weakest part of the whole deal is Gordon the helmsman, he's too chaotic and frankly got irritating. I'm hoping they eventually tone that poo poo down.

In short, I'd give it a 7/10. Watchable but a little rough around the edges. The whole show has a tremendous amount of potential though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The helmsman everyone is hating on is Steve Smith.

Which is to say, I hope they have an episode where an alien possesses them to sing.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

mycomancy posted:

I liked the pilot. The idea of a utopian society at the highest levels that has real humans populating it and running it has, in many ways, even more of an appeal than the Roddenberry-esque humanish characters in the TNG era. The fact that human characters that are flawed mistake makers can work to make a better place and explore the galaxy is really encouraging, especially given today's zietgeist.

Yep. For example, take the divorce poo poo. The strained relationship of former lovers being forced to work together again is very similar to Riker and Deanna, or their prototypes Decker and Illya. But while the ST versions consisted of chaste smouldering looks and Serious Discussions, the relationship between the Captain of the Orville and his XO is a lot more like the way people talk in real life in such a circumstance.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I liked it enough that I'll keep watching. I laughed at enough things and the things I didn't laugh at didn't bother me. I'm glad it's not super good, because that would be a guarantee that Fox would cancel it. Since it is ok to mediocre, Fox will probably give it a second season.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST
Fox.com & Hulu have it on demand now, so if your cable provider is waiting till Tuesday like Spectrum, you can watch it immediately.

I went in with low expectations from all the negative publicity. I enjoyed it despite some of the cringy & cliche moments. Here's to hoping it's not cancelled immediately.

Someone made the joke elsewhere that the XO should grow a beard like Riker did and have the rest of the crew just accept it as if it wasn't out of the ordinary.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

This was aggressively mediocre and the jokes were all bad. :geno:

Basically

Paradoxish posted:

I kind of wish this wasn't trying to be a comedy at all. Almost every single gag was some weird aside that completely broke the flow of the episode or outright interrupted a scene, which just made the really groan worthy ones stand out even more.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
It might just be because I'm so starved for more good Trek but I was fine with this and will keep watching. It wasn't perfect but it was good and I had fun watching it and a lot of the overt Trek stuff like the music and the ship flybys made me feel fuzzy and good and that's what I want.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Paradoxish posted:

I can definitely see where the negative reaction is coming from. I'm sure some reviewers were pissed that this is literally just Star Trek and not something that's explicitly making fun of Star Trek, but lots of stuff didn't work for me. I kind of wish this wasn't trying to be a comedy at all. Almost every single gag was some weird aside that completely broke the flow of the episode or outright interrupted a scene, which just made the really groan worthy ones stand out even more.

I don't know. I'll give it a few more episodes, but only because I'm a huge nerd that desperately wants Galaxy Quest: The TV Show to actually exist.

I'll agree here. I enjoyed it when it was laid-back Star Trek, which included some gags like the guy outside the window at the end which fit with the world. But a lot of the time it felt like reaching too far for the joke .

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
1.Whats-his-name will never be a Picard or a Sisko, but he might get close to an Archer.
2.I've mentally swapped their spaceship for a Miranda class.
3.It's better than Code of Honor, but not as good as Move Along Home.
4.They probably should have started with a two parter. It would give the setup some room to breathe.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Someone earlier said it was better than "Encounter at Farpoint." The obvious joke here is to say that's not saying much, but really, it was a lot better. In fact, I never once found myself checking to see how much time was left (though if it had been double-length I might have). I stayed interested from start to finish, and who here can say that about "Encounter?"

Also the music sounds like a cross between The Last Starfighter and "Bride of Chaotica," which is to say a bit quirky, but good.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's the small things. The Orville flyby when they zoom into the bridge is taken right out of "The Cage."

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Like a lot of people I thought the first episode was just okay. I'm not really feeling the characters, and that probably keeps me from outright liking it more than anything else. I've felt that way before about shows and casts that I ended up really liking eventually so I'm willing to give it some time. I don't think I'll ever like the helmsman though. Seems like he's supposed to be some lovable doofus who can kind of a jerk, but really he just comes off as an unlikeable rear end.

I don't see much commentary here on how the ship moves, but I want to show some appreciation. It zips around in a way that feels alien and unnatural, but in a good way. It really sells the idea that it's a craft built with advanced technology beyond our current understanding, and not just a big space boat.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
The pilot is not very funny at all.

I kinda wish the show has the Star Trek IP. Currently it is just too close to Trek and it is distracting.

I like it enough to keep watching but it is definitely not great.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Also I just love that the engineering toolkit they used was a couple of rolls of duct tape and a hot glue gun.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

I thought this was good, even as a pilot. Given some time for the cast to gel this could be really good. McFarlanes love for Star Trek really shows.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

raditts posted:

I didn't hate it, but I have no desire to watch any more of it. My opinion of it is a perfect :geno:.
The second half of the episode was better I guess, but the dialogue and pacing never got any better. Not-Worf was the only consistently good part imo.

This sums up our house. Wife's a Trek fan and expected it'd be a hatewatch, I was actually looking forward to it, and by the end both of us just felt like we'd wasted our time. Won't be giving it another go.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Astroman posted:

A shameful Star Trek fan...

:doh:

I'll watch "Code of Honor" three times in a row as penance.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Well.... This has potential, but it certainly needs work. I want to like this, but it's SO SLOW. Would it be better as a 1/2 hr sitcom like The Good Place?

The main problem is that McFarlane is awful as an actor. He's just so smarmy & smug.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Funny enough, well done everywhere else.

I think i'm all in. Norm sealed the deal i think.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Andrew_1985 posted:

Well.... This has potential, but it certainly needs work. I want to like this, but it's SO SLOW. Would it be better as a 1/2 hr sitcom like The Good Place?

The main problem is that McFarlane is awful as an actor. He's just so smarmy & smug.
I think smarmy and smug is perfect for this captain character.

I liked the premiere overall. None of the humor was really laugh-out-loud funny, but it didn't break the flow too badly for me.

I'm looking forward to the next couple of episodes -- the AVClub TV fall preview said it starts showing real promise in episode 3 (I believe most media outlets got the first three episodes).

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I did moderately enjoy it, but then again I've watched Red Dwarf a bit into the bad seasons, so I can put up with some bad jokes if the story/characters are likeable.

I'd say about half of the jokes worked (mainly the ones that had actual thought and comedic timing put into them, not the ones just tossed out to fill time). You can't really use jokes that break immersion if you're trying hard to also make a legitimate future sci-fi setting. I dunno if knowing who "Papa Smurf" or (from the preview) the phrase "tell the kids to roll the windows up" actually makes sense if you're 400 years in the future. I preferred the jokes that were just riffs on Star Trek conventions, like programming a funny personality for the holodeck orc or telling the enemy captain to step into frame.

They're also leaning wayyyyy hard on this ex-wife cheating story. Even in the preview she cracks a joke about surviving a divorce. We get it, it's your only characteristic, come up with something new.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm not sure where people are getting smug from other than projecting on Seth. Everything about the episode was him being thankful for a command and a desire to live up to the responsibility.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I love everyone being all "it was trash and I shan't be watching it again." It's the first loving episode, of course it's rough. At least give it a few before you relegate it to the trash can.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I do wish fewer of the jokes were literally balls and penis because as it stands I can't see recommending it to my parents.

Cojawfee posted:

I love everyone being all "it was trash and I shan't be watching it again." It's the first loving episode, of course it's rough. At least give it a few before you relegate it to the trash can.

Shhh the cool kids are talking, nerd.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I like this less head up its rear end TNG.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
My last captain said we could have soda on the bridge. Is it okay if we still do that?

I really like that bit even though it's not really a joke. Feels like something I'd say if I were in Starfleet.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

vermin posted:

My last captain said we could have soda on the bridge. Is it okay if we still do that?

I really like that bit even though it's not really a joke. Feels like something I'd say if I were in Starfleet.

I think that made it realistic. Sure it's set 400 years from now, but the people seem real.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
TV critics sure seem to hate the poo poo out of this show. They all love This Is Us, so gently caress all of them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They've also seen more episodes, including the apparently atrocious episode 3.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
I like this better than Farscape so I think it deserves to live

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

vermin posted:

I like this better than Farscape so I think it deserves to live

It's a lot better than Firefly, that's for sure.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Davros1 posted:

It's a lot better than Firefly, that's for sure.

THANK YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Aphrodite posted:

They've also seen more episodes, including the apparently atrocious episode 3.

Time for Fox to do what Fox does best and air the episodes out of order!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Medullah posted:

Time for Fox to do what Fox does best and air the episodes out of order!

Seth has specifically said the show is not serialized and can be viewed in any order.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Thats quite a split

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Ohtsam posted:

Thats quite a split

The robot gets really, really racist in the later preview eps.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
"Today's problems into tomorrow's contexts."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The robot is doing a pretty bitchin' Robert Picardo impression!