Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I cashed out my prize tix at GP Indy for 24 packs. I've been opening them randomly as I feel like it for that fresh-pack feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i wish they'd bring back tournament/starter decks.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Yeah the whole "don't open a box cuz your valuuuuuueeeee" is just whinery. It's whatever. From an absolute value perspective you lose like 20 bucks usually. From an actual, realizable cash value perspective you lose nothing cuz you have a bunch of magic cards that you were never gonna turn into cash anyway. It's like buying a toy.

That said, now that masterpieces aren't gonna be every set I'm probably not gonna crack any boxes for fun either

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

gif Probst posted:

i wish they'd bring back tournament/starter decks.

Yeah, getting tournament's packs at GP's is great fun, and makes for easy sealed.
Would be even easier now that we're only getting big sets.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

sit on my Facebook posted:

It's like buying a toy.
This guy gets it

I was kinda surprised by the general reaction but no biggie. I'm at a point of my life where I don't have to support a family yet and can blow some of my income on fun things. It being concert tickets, dinners, clothes, vacations or magic cards doesn't make much of a difference I feel. I mean it's obviously smarter to buy singles for the decks you wanna play instead of hoping to pull them but that's not my spot in this. I was just looking for some experiences from folks that have been cracking boxes longer than me but whatever there's no need to drag this out forever. Peace y'all

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Lawnie posted:

I cashed out my prize tix at GP Indy for 24 packs. I've been opening them randomly as I feel like it for that fresh-pack feeling.

I had some things I was working on this weekend that I really didn't want to do, so I did it incrementally and opened a pack to treat myself every so often because new toys are cool. Wrote the last half of a proposal and opened a Rhonas. It was a better day than it would have been otherwise.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Tin Tim posted:

This guy gets it

I was kinda surprised by the general reaction but no biggie. I'm at a point of my life where I don't have to support a family yet and can blow some of my income on fun things. It being concert tickets, dinners, clothes, vacations or magic cards doesn't make much of a difference I feel. I mean it's obviously smarter to buy singles for the decks you wanna play instead of hoping to pull them but that's not my spot in this. I was just looking for some experiences from folks that have been cracking boxes longer than me but whatever there's no need to drag this out forever. Peace y'all

Yeah you just have to remember that people itt have spent so many hours trying to maximize their value in games of magic that they forget sometimes that you don't actually always have to be maximizing value, like, in real life.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Tin Tim posted:

This guy gets it

It really depends on what you want to do. I always buy and crack a box of the masters sets because it's fun and I have a bunch of money to blow. If you just want to play though and get into competitive formats, even on no budget, cracking standard set boxes is just not that useful. Otherwise go ahead and enjoy breaking open packs. I do.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I usually open a couple boxes worth per set so that I have at least a start at a standard deck, and a bunch of commons and uncommons to give to the kids at my local store.

I usually open a ton of masters sets too, so I can get staples for modern decks, though. I know I shouldn't.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

The Sexual Shiite posted:

I usually open a couple boxes worth per set so that I have at least a start at a standard deck, and a bunch of commons and uncommons to give to the kids at my local store.

I usually open a ton of masters sets too, so I can get staples for modern decks, though. I know I shouldn't.

No, you shouldn't. Just buy singles.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Some Numbers posted:

Counterpoint: Occasionally you will be able to get sets of cards that get expensive later just by cracking packs and hanging on to them. Also I opened two Force of Will from Alliances prize packs.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Smashing Link posted:

Counterpoint: Occasionally you will be able to get sets of cards that get expensive later just by cracking packs and hanging on to them. Also I opened two Force of Will from Alliances prize packs.

That's kind of how gambling works.

sometimes you win, usually you don't

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
There are grinders at my LGS who always open a case whenever a new set comes out. They think it's a good idea. Isn't preordering a full set of everything usually cheaper?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

BJPaskoff posted:

There are grinders at my LGS who always open a case whenever a new set comes out. They think it's a good idea. Isn't preordering a full set of everything usually cheaper?

They're probably hoping to open up some sick Masterpieces and make more than the case is actually worth.

Or something.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Smashing Link posted:

mtgfinance.txt

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Financially it doesn't make sense to buy sealed product or singles. You should buy low-fee index funds instead.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Okay, so I went out and got some cards to fit this budget modern deck that was recommended by this thread: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-93-20-tix-mono-white-humans-modern

none of the local shops have Path to Exile or Thalia, so I still have some searching to do. I swapped Thalia for the Odric that lets you decide your opponents blockers, and Path to Exile slots are filled with Oblivion Rings for now, which are more expensive unfortunately.

I also learned today that you can block with multiple creatures. Neat! Also, sort of confusing.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Omar al-Bishie posted:

Okay, so I went out and got some cards to fit this budget modern deck that was recommended by this thread: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-93-20-tix-mono-white-humans-modern

none of the local shops have Path to Exile or Thalia, so I still have some searching to do. I swapped Thalia for the Odric that lets you decide your opponents blockers, and Path to Exile slots are filled with Oblivion Rings for now, which are more expensive unfortunately.

I also learned today that you can block with multiple creatures. Neat! Also, sort of confusing.

I suggest TCgplayer and getting them in the mail for those cards.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Omar al-Bishie posted:

There's a Magic Buy/Sell/Trade thread in SA-Mart that is fairly active.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Andrast posted:

That's kind of how gambling works.

sometimes you win, usually you don't

And gambling is fun (in theory)

People here (Taiwan) gamble when opening packs. Two people square off and open a pack, counting CMCs. Commons are 1x, Uncommons 2x, Rares 3x, Mythics 4x, foils are doubled. Whoever has the highest wins, tie looks at tokens.

You always remember the good packs and not the 50 poo poo ones. Last week I opened 2 MM3, 1 EMA and got a Sneak Attack, Verdant Catacombs, and Olivia Voldaren. I will never have that kind of success in just three packs ever again.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

GoutPatrol posted:

People here (Taiwan) gamble when opening packs. Two people square off and open a pack, counting CMCs. Commons are 1x, Uncommons 2x, Rares 3x, Mythics 4x, foils are doubled. Whoever has the highest wins, tie looks at tokens.

You always remember the good packs and not the 50 poo poo ones. Last week I opened 2 MM3, 1 EMA and got a Sneak Attack, Verdant Catacombs, and Olivia Voldaren. I will never have that kind of success in just three packs ever again.

I did an MM3 sealed tournament and opened Tarmogoyf, Marsh Flats, and Goblin Guide. I went 1-2 but god drat was I satisfied with those pulls. Then I I opened an Invocation Force of Will in an Amonkhet pre-release and traded it away to finish off my set of MM3 Tarmogoyfs, a playset of KTK Polluted Deltas, and a playset of Torrential Gearhulks. I'm never getting that lucky again.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
I still remember my first Starter deck of revised. My rares were Living Wall and Keldon Warlord. Also got 1 of each Circle of Protection somehow.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I did an MM3 draft and the most valuable cards I ended up with were a Path to Exile and a Thragtusk.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

I did an MM3 draft and the most valuable cards I ended up with were a Path to Exile and a Thragtusk.

Did you path your own Thragtusk for value?

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

GoutPatrol posted:

The very first LGS I went to as a kid used to do pack wars. They'd mostly do it with sports cards, but I liked the concept of doing it with Magic, just calling out a random stat like highest CMC or most cards of a certain color. I wouldn't do that with Masters sets, but randy standard sets make pack opening more interesting.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Count Bleck posted:

Did you path your own Thragtusk for value?

No but I did get to live the dream with Momentary Blink in one game.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Entropic posted:

No but I did get to live the dream with Momentary Blink in one game.

Gross

Admiral
Dec 14, 2000

If you see this man, slap him in the nuts for me.

Some Numbers posted:

Buying singles is SO loving BORING though.

There ain't nothin like the smell of 36 freshly cracked packs lying on a table, surrounding your carefully sorted spoils.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

What's the best replacement for Thalia and Path in my deck until I can get a hold of them?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Admiral posted:

There ain't nothin like the smell of 36 freshly cracked packs lying on a table, surrounding your carefully sorted spoils.

And like five of the twenty rares you needed for a deck.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Admiral posted:

So, where are you putting everything else?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Admiral posted:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Omar al-Bishie posted:

What's the best replacement for Thalia and Path in my deck until I can get a hold of them?

Literally nothing? Maybe Condemn and Oust for removal but nothing is like Thalia.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

GoutPatrol posted:

Literally nothing? Maybe Condemn and Oust for removal but nothing is like Thalia.

Vryn wingmare.

But seriously just order the paths and Thalia's.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Omar al-Bishie posted:

Pieces of paper roughly the size of a magic card that have "path" and "thalia" written on them

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Cracking a box is fun for me as well, but I would never call it an investment.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Cross posting from the dead gay brewhaus, piecing together a jeskai tempo deck for post rotation.

Let's discuss what I can do to make the most out of this terrible idea?

Jeskai tempo

Creatures: (around 26)

4x Siren Stormtamer
4x rw 2/2 flying menace dino
4x Storm Fleet Aerialist
4x Nimble Obstructionist
4x Aven Mindcensor
4x Dreamcaller Siren
2x Angel of Invention

Spells: (around 14-18)
4x Spell Pierce
4x Favorable Winds
4x Lightning Strike
4x Chart a Course
2x Heart of Kiran

Land: (22-ish)
4x Spirebluff Canal
3x Inspiring Vantage
4x Irrigated Farmland
4x glacial fortress
Any other relevant duals?
Mix of basics

Sideboard:
- removal
- counterspells (maybe the pierces should go in here and have generalist counters in for now, may e Lookouts Dispersal?)
- mass path

Options:

- storm fleet aerialist is probably the weakest card on the list, but if I run lookouts dispersal in the main it definitely makes that better.
- increase the number of hearts and add some aethersphere harvesters?

- I know favorable winds is a bad card, but I want to play it at fnm level.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

I have a good feeling about this in limited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Um guys... balanced mana drain in standard???

https://www.instagram.com/p/BY5tUy6By68/?taken-by=wizardsmagiceu

Tainen fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Sep 11, 2017