Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Went to check out the negative storm surge. I've seen extreme low tides out there before and this was 2-3ft below that. Was a bit freaky.

Edit: Now with pictures!

Boat dock at Bayport Florida. I've seen the rocks/oyster beds this one is resting on start to poke out at extreme low tide, but never sitting directly on them like this.

View from the top of the boat dock.

View from the bridge heading out to Pine Island in Weeki Wachee Florida. You can see how drained the salt marshes are. I've never seen them this low and any remaining water was maybe a foot or two deep only because it has nowhere to drain.

From a street directly next to pine island. That sign way out there marks the border of the swimming area and the limit of where boats can go. With the gulf at 0 sea level, its up to the bottom of my chest. Its incredible to see it out so far past it. I'd estimate the edge of the water was like a 1/2 mile out.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Um yeah this is Tampa Bay right now :ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO6UUtrzofk

Look how far in he is when he turns around to look at downtown St.Pete. This is loving crazy.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Jesus. Don't be near the coast when all that comes back in. :ohdear:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The end is nigh

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Nah. Just popped over to check it out. Its a rare thing to see in my neck of florida.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

The end is nigh

when the tide is high

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Goober Peas posted:

the tide is high
But I'm holding on?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I'm gonna be your number one

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I think a transformer just blew up down the street

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

drat autobots

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Power was flickering, just watched our transformer blow. Looks like we're dark for the long haul here in Longwood.

Lights are still on down the street for now, so hopefully it'll be a quick fix once the storm passes. We've got lots of aux batteries, including my bigass laptop battery, and the stove is gas so we can still cook.

I'll mostly be in ultra low power mode on my phone but I'll check in periodically. Catch you on the flip side.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Enourmo posted:

Power was flickering, just watched our transformer blow. Looks like we're dark for the long haul here in Longwood.

Lights are still on down the street for now, so hopefully it'll be a quick fix once the storm passes. We've got lots of aux batteries, including my bigass laptop battery, and the stove is gas so we can still cook.

I'll mostly be in ultra low power mode on my phone but I'll check in periodically. Catch you on the flip side.

Be safe my dude.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Stay safe, Floridagoons. :smith:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Power went out again for a few minutes. Looks like the streetlight out front got taken out.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Have you considered switching to geico

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Sorry for all the people who don't have a house after Irma, but I'm about to move into my new one and my wife is losing her goddamned mind over moving in.
It doesn't help that her mom wants us to pick different pieces of furniture up on different days. She lives over an hour away and I'm not driving all the way out there (or trying to find someone to help) on <insert random day> here for one piece of furniture and back again on <different day> for the next when I could just get it all at once.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Still have power and cable! I'm one of the few left lol, it will be out any minute now.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Status update: power started flickering back on right as we were getting settled. Must be blowing power lines shorting together and bypassing the transformer. I sure as gently caress don't trust that to pass a clean waveform, so all breakers are now off for the duration.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That's not how it works.

Auto recloser (or a manual reset) probably closed while trees were still tangled up in the lines. Flickering was likely the trees, squirrels, homeless people, etc burning free.

If it'd been off awhile, it was probably a manually commanded reclose. Probably someone trying to burn off whatever's tangled up in the lines (see above) to try and restore power for your area. If a "transformer had been bypassed", you wouldn't have an electrical system left in your house - 120/240 stuff doesn't appreciate getting hit with 4160, 7200, or 13200.

Three Phase would be able to explain it a lot better, of course, but I suspect he's sperging over the best way to extend battery life on his hybrid again. (mostly kidding three phase, you know I love you)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 11, 2017

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

It could also be an intermittent connection from a broken jumper, etc.

But the short of it, is that turning off your main if the power Is constantly blinking (whether it's recloser operation or whatever) isn't a bad move.

His description is far less annoying to me, than every electrical issue being described as "a transformer blowing". :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Hah yeah, unless you have a UPS on everything you care about, just turn that poo poo off until it stabilizes. Leave a breaker on for a few incandescent lights (if you still have any.. otherwise sacrifice your oldest CFLs or cheapest LEDs).

also

angryrobots posted:

short
power

:argh:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 11, 2017

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well it was definitely either a transformer or line breaking; I saw a bright shower of blue sparks at the exact moment the power went out for good, so it wasn't just a breaker opening or whatever. It had been momentarily going out, with an associated loud 60hz hum from outside, in the direction of whatever blew. Heard the same hum when the lights started flickering back on, so I doubt it was anything commanded.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That hum really makes your hair stand up after the first time you've heard it. You know drat well nothing good ever comes from that hum when it's more than a slight background noise.

How long was it out though? I'd bet a tree limb got caught up in the lines and tripped out the line, and someone finally said "gently caress it, poo poo's hosed anyway, let's reset the breaker and see if we can make a lightshow!". Reclosers usually lock out after a few tries, and those retries are generally within a few seconds of each other.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 11, 2017

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I've been hearing transformers popping, still have power I'm shocked. Also the new fence i just put in is holding up extremely well, knock on wood.

It's almost past us now, hold on fence pleeeeease :ohdear:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Was about an hour between going fully dark and trying to come back on.

Storm's curving farther east,gonna drag the bubble of Hurricane-force sustained winds right over us, which I'd hoped we would avoid. Peak danger doesn't pass for another few hours. Niece is now asleep, but me, mom and sister are all watching weather chanel on the ipad.

I'm getting scared again, yall.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Don't worry dude, the eye is right next to us now and it's not bad. The No Name Storm was worse than this, way worse.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

OK but northeast side of the storm and it's been dry and weak on the east/south side all day no, fake edit, gently caress this, staying positive

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

What are the wind speed forecasts for Orlando right now?

[e] been getting nasty gusts but sustained winds are not bad

[e2] it's actually getting worse now as it passes, winds are higher with longer bursts from big cells coming through, not really full out sustained winds tho. My big queen palms have never been abused like this before, wow.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Sep 11, 2017

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

My big queen palms have never been abused like this before, wow.

:laugh:

Seriously though, best of luck you guys.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Still waiting for the eye to get up to hwy 50 before I'll start to unwind a bit. Its kinda drunkenly meandering across the north tampa area. What remains of the eye should be passing me soon though.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It got really intense there for about two hours. Haven't seen wind like that around here since the no name.

Good thing it wasn't stronger, a 3 or 4 would have been horrible.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Even though Irma doesn't really have a defined eye. There is definately a creepily still portion where it used to be in the storm. After the last several hours of howling winds and nervousness, its surreal.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
How bad are things in the south Miami area?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'm assuming no oval office was mad enough to try and sleep through this?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

InitialDave posted:

How bad are things in the south Miami area?

Which part? I'll ask.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Wrar posted:

Which part? I'll ask.
Specifically just east of Miami Executive Airport, between that and Kendall, thanks. Zip code 33186.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Welp. Survived the storm, but no power for a week it sounds like.

Couple of trees dell down, one managed to snag power lines and poles.

Another guy down the road had a tree split in two. Half went in the street, half on his house

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Have solar or a genny?

My only fear of selling the bus is I lose 370W of solar panels and 5 yellow top optimas worth of inverter. My bus is/was my emergency power plan because I'm renting and can't install anything permanent.

Of course, I'm in Phoenix, so I'll never have to survive that long. Longest was 3 days when APS (company) poo poo the bed and internally protested the refused rate hike. Second was 2 days when it was stormy and the out-of-town neighbor's adult son kept shutting off OUR breaker (townhouse) by mistake.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 11, 2017

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Nope. Can't go anywhere now cause roads are blocked and there's a curfew, but gonna head to my parents house later.

They don't have power either, but their issues should be a much more quick fix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ExplodingSims posted:

Welp. Survived the storm, but no power for a week it sounds like.

Couple of trees dell down, one managed to snag power lines and poles.

Another guy down the road had a tree split in two. Half went in the street, half on his house

Just glad you made it through unscathed. So far it looks like all AIers made it through okay with minimal damage. My fiance's best friend has been unable to get in touch with her mother so that's frustrating us a bit.

• Locked thread