Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Can we all agree that this is the badass wizard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Speaking of wizards and poo poo, Galena from Quake Champions totally comes from a world the Serpent Riders conquered, right?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

catlord posted:

Speaking of wizards and poo poo, Galena from Quake Champions totally comes from a world the Serpent Riders conquered, right?

i think shes from quake team arena but the backstory they added to her is yeah i think the serpent riders

Edit: is there a doom mod to let you play as an agitating skeleton yet?

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Sep 10, 2017

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Can we all agree that this is the badass wizard?

That's totally the gargoyle from Blood.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Parias was my jam more than Daedolon.
He's cool.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Pope Guilty posted:

That's totally the gargoyle from Blood.

And "Merlin" there looks oddly familiar too...

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i think shes from quake team arena but the backstory they added to her is yeah i think the serpent riders

Edit: is there a doom mod to let you play as an agitating skeleton yet?
There was one a few years back, sort of. I'll be damned if I can remember what it was called but it was some asymmetrical PvP mod.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

There was one a few years back, sort of. I'll be damned if I can remember what it was called but it was some asymmetrical PvP mod.

Internal Conflict?

Vakal
May 11, 2008

but the hexen mage is clearly a wizard, every element is wizardy, yet he is still badass. he doesn't need to be anything but a wizard, hes got no buff muscles or handsome hunk looks. hes a stone cold magic man with death powers so move over suckers.

How about the Sorcerer from the Diablo 1 manual?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Vakal posted:

How about the Sorcerer from the Diablo 1 manual?

ok he;'s pretty strong not gonna lie

parias definitely had the best weapons in hexen and was abnormally cool for a cleric, but he didnt have the sick glowy eyes or the swagger of daedolon

i found a cool mod to let you play as a baron of hell, the only problem is that it makes you way taller and lets you step up bigger steps, which means when youre trying to melee dudes you end up standing on their head while they shoot you, and also falling out of windows a lot

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Anyone know of a modern bsp for quake 2? I know there are some for quake 1 (tyr's), but everything I've found for quake 2 seem to be dead projects. I am trying to get a compiler to work in trenchboom, but the original qbsp3 throws errors about no quake2 directory. I've tried quetoo's quemap but it keeps cutting off the first letter of the map name and errors out.

Or does any modern bsp do all games?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Then, next question, why the gently caress does her ability not involve a Morph Ovum.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

catlord posted:

Then, next question, why the gently caress does her ability not involve a Morph Ovum.

because quake champions is FUCKIN EDGY CHIEF

Vitreous Rumor
Oct 21, 2004

Wait, did id un-cancel that old Generations mod and make it a full game?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Vitreous Rumor posted:

yeah and they gave it the worst netcode known to man

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

catlord posted:

Nobody was able to decide whether it should be that, or a Porkalator

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

but he didnt have the sick glowy eyes

Now he does!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Mak0rz posted:

And "Merlin" there looks oddly familiar too...

Ha! He holds his hat when knocking that drink back. Good attention to detail.

Vitreous Rumor posted:

:sbahj: I'm old enough to remember that mod and it's C&D request :corsair:

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I think the Serious Sam games are breeding in my steam library.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Keiya posted:

I think the Serious Sam games are breeding in my steam library.

I currently have a whopping 12 Serious Sam games in my library, counting all the side/fangames and Fusion 2017 and Classics: Revolution.

Speaking of which, Fusion is a great way to play through the HD games all in one and Classics: Revolution is the same for the old school versions! So if you like Serious Sam they're worth nabbing if you didn't just have them dumped into your lap.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I just finished the Quake Arcane Dimensions 1.5 update maps.

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang mang.

I love that they even turned the shotgun from a hitscan into a projectile weapon. So good.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

CJacobs posted:

I currently have a whopping 12 Serious Sam games in my library, counting all the side/fangames and Fusion 2017 and Classics: Revolution.

Speaking of which, Fusion is a great way to play through the HD games all in one and Classics: Revolution is the same for the old school versions! So if you like Serious Sam they're worth nabbing if you didn't just have them dumped into your lap.

For real, I'm currently working my way back through TFE, TSE, and BFE via Fusion. The fact that Croteam are still working on/updating these games in 2017 is really cool, and having them all on the same engine and accessible from within a single "game" is pretty convenient.

That being said, Fusion's TFE (and perhaps TSE) may feel a little..."off"...to people who have played the games a ton. I previously Iron-Man'ed through TFE & TSE HD on "Serious" difficulty and consider myself very familiar with the "tempo" of enemies and weapons. Yet right off the bat, very subtle differences threw me off in the latest version of TFE: Enemies seem to behave just differently enough to really gently caress with me at first. I thought it was just me but, as it turns out, the AI and physics for enemies like the Kleer have been altered ever-so-slightly. They seem to "slide" around a lot more and behave a little more erratically, and killing them with the Coach Gun struck me as somewhat more difficult than in earlier versions.

Regardless, I'm stoked to see them continuing to work on these games and, if I'm not mistaken, a Serious Sam 4 is in the works?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, the first and second HD games have had 3's mechanics retroactively added to them- shotgun spread being clearly defined, more aggressive enemies and MUCH MUCH better pathfinding etc. The kleers and werebulls actually used to be worse, but then they were scaled back for 1 and 2 and it seems they're still a bit too slippery. Overall though the improvements are great, and they all run without a single hitch on Vulkan.

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmTVn9Y9igg

Seriously the pathfinding improvements are bonkers, to the point where in some cases they actually make the game a bit less fun because the enemies are so smart now.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

drat I had no idea about some of these changes. Very interesting!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

CJacobs posted:

Yeah, the first and second HD games have had 3's mechanics retroactively added to them- shotgun spread being clearly defined, more aggressive enemies and MUCH MUCH better pathfinding etc. The kleers and werebulls actually used to be worse, but then they were scaled back for 1 and 2 and it seems they're still a bit too slippery. Overall though the improvements are great, and they all run without a single hitch on Vulkan.

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmTVn9Y9igg

Seriously the pathfinding improvements are bonkers, to the point where in some cases they actually make the game a bit less fun because the enemies are so smart now.

Who know there were further tweaks to what amounts to "bumrush the player?" Pretty great that Croteam is still working on the series. I really want to see what they come up with for Serious Sam 4.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I hope that better than the garbage they made with BFE. Only the middle part was fun as the start was a slog and the final zones where a shitshow (with awful boss fight included).

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Guillermus posted:

I hope that better than the garbage they made with BFE. Only the middle part was fun as the start was a slog and the final zones where a shitshow (with awful boss fight included).

The beginning is iffy, but I think 3 ends up being the best in the series. The addition of a proper checkpoint structure goes a long way (and come on, the last levels were pretty epic). Despite being way uglier, I think Serious Sam 3 is probably a better modern FPS than the new Doom.

Sir Ilpalazzo fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Sep 11, 2017

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

The beginning is iffy, but I think 3 ends up being the best in the series. The addition of a proper checkpoint structure goes a long way (and come on, the last levels were pretty epic). Despite being way uglier, I think Serious Sam 3 is probably a better modern FPS than the new Doom.

I usually respect opinions but saying that SS3 is better than DO4M is just wrong. There's no justification for that.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Guillermus posted:

I usually respect opinions but saying that SS3 is better than DO4M is just wrong. There's no justification for that.

Well, it has significantly better weapon balance, for one. Every weapon (minus the pistol I guess) fills a specific niche; you're rewarded for pulling out the right weapon at the right time - unlike Doom where several weapons end up being jack-of-all-trades once upgraded (as long as you aren't running out of ammo - and you probably won't given how the chainsaw works - you can just bust out the rocket launcher and exclusively, comfortably use it to power through any lategame combat encounter in Doom, while there are no fights in SS3 that allow you to rest on your laurels like that - just look at the video I linked in my other post to see how a typical lategame fight in SS3 goes). Doom also has a lot of upgrade system chaff tied to backtracking or trinket hunting, which isn't something I particularly like to see in action games.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Did they ever re-introduce the fun gravity rooms into the later Sam games? I remember them being absent from the remastered versions.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
serious sam 3's final levels are visually cool but by that point the game has introduced a lot of the worst enemies to ever appear in a serious sam game so it was hard for me to care that much

all of the good bits in ss3 are just cribbed from the earlier games and all the stuff it actually introduces is not fun

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

Well, it has significantly better weapon balance, for one. Every weapon (minus the pistol I guess) fills a specific niche; you're rewarded for pulling out the right weapon at the right time - unlike Doom where several weapons end up being jack-of-all-trades once upgraded (as long as you aren't running out of ammo - and you probably won't given how the chainsaw works - you can just bust out the rocket launcher and exclusively, comfortably use it to power through any lategame combat encounter in Doom, while there are no fights in SS3 that allow you to rest on your laurels like that - just look at the video I linked in my other post to see how a typical lategame fight in SS3 goes). Doom also has a lot of upgrade system chaff tied to backtracking or trinket hunting, which isn't something I particularly like to see in action games.

Backtracking and trinket hunting is a thing you don't need at all in Doom. As for SS3's weapon balance... what? SS3 is entirely (like other SS games) backpedaling when you're on a big arena and the pistol is not the only bad weapon, put the normal shotgun in there and while we're at it, the assault rifle is there just to kill hitscan enemies wich you know, SS3 is filled with. You know what is bad in a game like that? Hitscan enemies. You see a bunch and easy to kill them in TFE and TSE but SS3 is gently caress all hitscan.

Even Croteam knew that SS3 wasn't that good when they've put more effort on their older games than in SS3 wich by the way has a boring and bland DLC.

Still, you're comparing apples and oranges. Doom 2016 and SS3 have nothing in common.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I once saw somebody on a modding Discord argue that Duke Nukem Forever was better/more retro-FPS-y than Doom 2016, and not get immediately ostracised.

I don't go there anymore.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Yeah, probably my fault for trying to efforpost such bait.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I really love SS3 (final boss included, it's fine if you aren't an idiot) but saying it's remotely comparable to the new Doom is moronic

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

the serious sam games have never been my favourites. which is weird because ancient egypt is my favourite setting by far, and I love retro fps games. the balance has just always felt off to me. the difficulty is less fun and more frustrating. some stuff takes too many hits to kill and some takes too few.

the biggest design choice I hated in the original doom was that lost souls all take 2 shotgun shots to kill. it takes them from cool chaff to a chore. doom 64 corrects that problem, which is another reason why it's the best commercial classic doom game.

but the kleer in serious sam have that same irritating feeling, and they're one of the most common enemies in the game.

the other problem is that nearly all the fights in the game take place in huge open arenas that you're trapped in, but you're not compensated with extra mobility or anything for losing cover and the ability to choose a venue for engagements like you have in doom. there are a few fights in city-type areas in the first serious sam which incidentally are a lot more fun than the average 'trapped in a big bowl' arena the game throws at you.

sam also suffers with some serious projectile spam. nearly every enemy has some sort of projectile thing that ends up whittling you down while you dodge faster, higher priority enemies like the bulls or the suicide guys. the biomechs i'm fine with, but the harpies are just super irritating.

there also doesn't ever appear to be a meaningful health disparity between enemies for how easy they are to hit. the biomechs do have more health than the standard dudes, but they're also bigger and slower, so hitting them with a handful of rockets is super easy and thats all it takes to kill them. meanwhile with the kleer you're stuck either trying to nail the perfect super shotgun hit or spamming like 800 bullets into a big crowd of them. the weak enemies are too strong and the strong enemies are too weak.

at least thats how i feel about the games. I don't hate them at all, i had good fun with them when I was younger, but i don't tend to come back to them like i do with painkiller.

also I hate to compare everything to doom enemies and doom weapons, but that's kind of the acme of the retro fps world.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
People have been comparing Serious Sam to Doom for almost two decades and it didn't make sense back then either.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I actually love doing the 'Kleer dance' :shobon:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
og serious sam is pretty good but ss2 is one of the dullest games i've ever played and serious sam 3 has the hordes of hitscan scorpions and annoying helicopters in the first third and the loving witch enemies in the last third who are the most annoying thing in the world to fight and appear constantly after they're introduced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The thing about ss is that it's not really a shooter like doom, it's a shmup in first person perspective