Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Trying to broaden my horizons a little bit. Made Chef John's English muffins the other day.

Turned out great, although next time I might up the hydration a little bit to get more nook-and-cranny action. Also they freeze really well, so next time I'll do a double batch and have muffs on hand all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Argyle posted:

Trying to broaden my horizons a little bit. Made Chef John's English muffins the other day.

Turned out great, although next time I might up the hydration a little bit to get more nook-and-cranny action. Also they freeze really well, so next time I'll do a double batch and have muffs on hand all day.

I've experimented with english muffins. Be careful pushing that hydration too far unless you're using ring molds - they can just end up puddles. On the other hand, with ring molds, you can go all the way to like 100% (with multiple hydration, thorough aeration, long retarded rises, and some VWG for extra structure) and get really great muffins that aren't just crumpets.

My current project is pan de cristal. I have some ideas for this weekend - I'll try to remember to post pictures. I'm aiming for 125% total hydration.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, I'm interested in a rye flatbread recipe. Anyone got any on hand?

Dr. Light
Dec 16, 2006

mmartinx posted:

What country are you in? I feel like even convenience stores in the US carry at the very least rye flour.

I'm in the US but I just moved to a new city and apparently have been really dumb because I didn't even consider looking for Bob's Red Mill.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Bob's Red Mill sells most flours that you would want to use, including some not listed. I've found their quality to be consistent and wonderful, even though the prices can be a little much.

Thank you for the suggestion! I'll give it a shot.

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

mmartinx posted:

What country are you in? I feel like even convenience stores in the US carry at the very least rye flour.

This depends on where in the US you live. In Phoenix, I can't find it anywhere usually and have to rely on going to the organic section to find something close. I usually have to rely on Amazon for certain flours at a reasonable price.

mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004

Baba Oh Really posted:

This depends on where in the US you live. In Phoenix, I can't find it anywhere usually and have to rely on going to the organic section to find something close. I usually have to rely on Amazon for certain flours at a reasonable price.

Man, I've never been to Arizona before, but I just refuse to believe that Bob's Red Mill isn't as bountiful as it is everywhere else in the country, have you tried these stores?

http://www.bobsredmill.com/store-finder.html

King Arthur should be readily available too, along with store brands. Check the bulk food section too at Whole Foods/local gourmet markets.

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

Oh Bob's Red Mill is here like you said but I was commenting on finding something specific like rye flour in stores. Certain grains aren't popular here for some reason but I will take it being a chile haven instead. I love hatch chile season.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, bread goons, I need your help. I've been making rolls/buns for lunch sandwich purposes. They're tasty, but there's a problem. I use a scale to portion out the dough evenly (or as close to even as possible, I give or take a few grams), but when I try to merge the bits and pieces together, I get stuff like this:

Any advice to get rid of it?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

iospace posted:

So, bread goons, I need your help. I've been making rolls/buns for lunch sandwich purposes. They're tasty, but there's a problem. I use a scale to portion out the dough evenly (or as close to even as possible, I give or take a few grams), but when I try to merge the bits and pieces together, I get stuff like this:

After you combine the bits and pieces, reform a ball after kneading it together a few times. It should look like one unbroken piece of dough.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

iospace posted:

Make sure the dough isn't dusty with flour and just knead them together and then form into buns. It's hard to explain how. I'm sure there's a bun shaping video out there.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Alright, made sure to kneed it a bit more when shaping, so it came out with much less apparent seams this time.

Also, because you're all suckers for this (70/30 bread flour/spelt mix with ~70% hydration):

(I'm great at holding the camera steady)

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool
A bread thread! I hadn't thought to go hunting for one before. I randomly tried making bread one day because I was bored and my wife has every cake baking tool and machine known to mankind. A freind then bought me a bread book (James Morton's Brilliant Bread) and I've been baking regularly since, to the point that none of my wifes fancy tools are of any use to me. I have my own cupboard full of wierd bread things now.

So a question, I've made a rye raisin bread before which came out well (great toasted) and walking the dog yesterday I came home with a big haul of blackberries. I'm not finding a recipe for blackberry bread that isn't a cake or pudding but I'm thinking it might be fun to have a go? Any ideas for something that might work? I was going to try a strait replacement for the raisins and see what happens. Maybe folding them in toward the end of the knead.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

a direct 1:1 sub won't work without adjusting for hydration

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/49100/blackberry-rye-bread

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool
That looks like what I'm after, if a bit out of my comfort zone. I have a starter which has been feeding vorasciously for a week now (note to self, if you are going to put a top on it, dont make it air tight, a least it was push fit and not screwtop) but I've not tried using it yet. I was assuming the hydration was going to be interesting if I just had a go at it.

Useful tip there about freezing the blackberries before mixing them in. It should be an interesting experiment if nothing else.

Jekub fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 11, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, any advice on generating steam in the oven? I tried today, using a pan that I poured boiling water into, and top crust turned out relatively the same as it has in the past (read: not very crispy). Should I be using something else like a cast iron or?

Also, all my bread baking is done on a baking sheet with parchment on it.

mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004
You could fill a cast iron pan with rocks and pour boiling water into that. Honestly using a dutch oven is so much easier and cleaner and gives generally better results.

This is probably a personal thing but I find that I won't latch onto a hobby if I'm dreading aspects of it, like cleaning up flour everywhere, or, loving around with boiling water in a cast iron pan of hot rocks. So I tried to simplify things as much as possible. Using a dutch oven, not using a banneton and a ton of bench flour took care of 2 of those concerns.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

iospace posted:

So, any advice on generating steam in the oven? I tried today, using a pan that I poured boiling water into, and top crust turned out relatively the same as it has in the past (read: not very crispy). Should I be using something else like a cast iron or?

Also, all my bread baking is done on a baking sheet with parchment on it.

My oven doesn't get very hot, and I've had the same problems in the past. If I'm making a boule or demi-boule, I just use a well-sealed cast iron dutch oven, and the steam gets trapped under the lid and that's enough. Otherwise, I get a cast iron skillet ripping hot on the stove and put some water in it right as it goes into the oven.

e: if you have no banneton but you want to use a banneton, a colander lined with linen is just about perfect. No need for space-wasting wicker baskets - unless you want a shape that isn't round, in which case you should either bench rise or buy a banneton v:v:v

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 11, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I would do a dutch oven by my thing is rolls that I use throughout the week for sandwhiches.

I'm also out of spelt and thus sad.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

My oven doesn't get very hot, and I've had the same problems in the past. If I'm making a boule or demi-boule, I just use a well-sealed cast iron dutch oven, and the steam gets trapped under the lid and that's enough. Otherwise, I get a cast iron skillet ripping hot on the stove and put some water in it right as it goes into the oven.

e: if you have no banneton but you want to use a banneton, a colander lined with linen is just about perfect. No need for space-wasting wicker baskets - unless you want a shape that isn't round, in which case you should either bench rise or buy a banneton v:v:v

Oh, one thing before I forget, I was using an old, beat up 13x9 pan. Would the cast iron be better for this purpose or no?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

iospace posted:

Oh, one thing before I forget, I was using an old, beat up 13x9 pan. Would the cast iron be better for this purpose or no?

Cast iron has greater thermal mass and in most cases greater emissivity than stainless or aluminum, so if what you want is hearth bread, yes.

Generally speaking, cast iron is the way to go for crusty hearth bread.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Cast iron has greater thermal mass and in most cases greater emissivity than stainless or aluminum, so if what you want is hearth bread, yes.

Generally speaking, cast iron is the way to go for crusty hearth bread.

so in order, heat up the skillet, throw some water on it, and throw it in the oven while it's still steaming with the cooking sheets?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

iospace posted:

so in order, heat up the skillet, throw some water on it, and throw it in the oven while it's still steaming with the cooking sheets?

Heat up the skillet, put it in the oven, add water, add bread immediately. Or you can reverse the last two steps. Just make sure there's steam and unbaked dough in the oven at the same time.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Alright, will try that with my next batch

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012
I moved and now have a shitload of counter space and would like to get into baking. Is there a good book to start with for someone with no experience?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
If you just want to make god damned incredible bread then, Flour, Water, Salt, Yeast is a good place to start. You will need a cast iron Dutch oven but all the other crap he uses you can improvise something else for.

Don't have a banneton? Use a bowl and a tea towel. Don't have a 6 quart mixing tub? Use a big bowl.

Otherwise you just need flour water salt and yeast and an oven to make beautiful brown crusty loves you would pay $20 for at an artisanal bakery.

Oh yeah, delicious too. Makes that bread you get at nice restaurant when you sit down seem like mealy flavorless crap.

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012
Thanks Murgos, was looking at that on Amazon but had my usual analysis paralysis

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
FWSY is very very good at teaching you to make one specific loaf of bread perfectly. If you like that loaf of bread (I do!) or pizza made from the same dough it's pretty much the best.

It has some variations (fast start, poolish, starter, and add-ins), but for the most part it's the same high-hydration/no knead/three-fold overnight cast iron boule front to back.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Huxley posted:

FWSY is very very good at teaching you to make one specific loaf of bread perfectly. If you like that loaf of bread (I do!) or pizza made from the same dough it's pretty much the best.

It has some variations (fast start, poolish, starter, and add-ins), but for the most part it's the same high-hydration/no knead/three-fold overnight cast iron boule front to back.

i'm pretty sure i've said this before, but the thing i appreciated about FWSY was that it gives you variations on a theme, and in the process provides you with the ability to make your own variations on that same theme. it doesn't teach you recipes (although there are recipes in the book), it teaches you a technique.

as you said, if you want to get really good at making (repeatable!) crusty boules, it's the book for you. otherwise, i'd look elsewhere.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
It's really good technique, too.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Mr. Glass posted:

if you want to get really good at making (repeatable!) crusty boules, it's the book for you. otherwise, i'd look elsewhere.
Sure, it's a bit of a one trick wonder but it's a REALLY good trick.

How many home bakers have dumped their first cracklin brown boule out on the counter and thought, "Wow, I can't believe I made that?" Followed by knife, butter and then a little moment of bliss.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I definitely love my homemade bread more than any store bought stuff, that's for sure.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Murgos posted:

Sure, it's a bit of a one trick wonder but it's a REALLY good trick.

How many home bakers have dumped their first cracklin brown boule out on the counter and thought, "Wow, I can't believe I made that?" Followed by knife, butter and then a little moment of bliss.
I could not believe how good my first loaf of bread out of FWSY was, and then they just kept getting better/more consistent as I kept making them.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

One of these days I shall make crusty rolls!

That day, unfortunately, is not today :smith:

BUT I WILL!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
When your scoring technique hasn't caught up with your bread making technique:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
This is more my speed:

nah
Mar 16, 2009

That first score looks perfect

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
The cut was at too sharp an angle.
The flap is basically charcoal, and when you see it in 3d the curve so exaggerated as to be silly looking.

I took a better photo of it:

Stringent fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 23, 2017

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
wanna eat dat crouton

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Still looks great. Don't make excuses for your good rear end bread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So what's a good way to make a lye mixture for spraying on pretzels?