Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit

call to action posted:

So optimists, give us your take now

People will still make fart jokes provided there's enough other people to eat and make farts with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

call to action posted:

So optimists, give us your take now
still working on my poo poo, sending off applications to be part of research on the bettong, a tiny kangaroo about the size of a chihuahua that has almost been driven to extinction in mainland australia since the european invasion but is now being reintroduced

these little guys are fungivores so they're vital for spore dispersion. only they and the bandicoots, which are also extinct in many areas, perform this role in our ecosystem - so their disappearance has led to a decline in fungi, with obvious implications for soil health and the ability of the land to naturally reforest itself

one step at a time

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I am bad at water macro-issues. Why would the rivers not refresh at (roughly) the same levels? The glaciers normally recharge from precipitation, right? Why wouldn't that precipitation still fall, just, you know, now directly flowing into the rivers? (And not having a supply buffer but that's not a thing that really matters in the long term as far as flow over twenty years or whatever)

Other than warmer air being able to hold more water before precipitatin'.

You're mostly right but glaciers are better at storing water than snowpack in the long-term. Think more in terms of variability - once the glaciers are gone and you have an unusually dry winter in the Himalayas that's going to reduce river volume, and if you have an unusually wet one that's going to create unusually high water levels. But you're correct in your intuition that it won't be causing rivers to run dry. There's a huge amount of uncertainty about exactly how it's all going to play out though.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I am bad at water macro-issues. Why would the rivers not refresh at (roughly) the same levels? The glaciers normally recharge from precipitation, right? Why wouldn't that precipitation still fall, just, you know, now directly flowing into the rivers? (And not having a supply buffer but that's not a thing that really matters in the long term as far as flow over twenty years or whatever)

Other than warmer air being able to hold more water before precipitatin'.

The useful feature of glaciers is the addition of melt water in spring when you need water for agriculture. It's essentially wasted if it flows out during winter.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Correct.

Flooding is a risk, but the main problem comes when you get dry seasons and receive less water than expected, particularly because consumption is going the opposite of down as time passes. This is a problem the region is already experiencing and India's response has been to build reservoirs to better manage the Indus and tributaries waters (much to Pakistan's objections).

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Thug Lessons posted:

You're mostly right but glaciers are better at storing water than snowpack in the long-term. Think more in terms of variability - once the glaciers are gone and you have an unusually dry winter in the Himalayas that's going to reduce river volume, and if you have an unusually wet one that's going to create unusually high water levels. But you're correct in your intuition that it won't be causing rivers to run dry. There's a huge amount of uncertainty about exactly how it's all going to play out though.

The likely result is you're probably going to have both years of drought and flash floods since there essentially isn't a long-term form of storage for that water. If anything I think the long-term impact may be even further urbanization, and a possibly a further reliance on food imports.

Also, yeah, you are also going to have "water wars" over who gets essentially gets first access to whatever water that remains. The GAP/SAP in Turkey not only had intense political fallout but very well may have had a long-term impact on the internal stability of Syria/Iraq (obviously only one of many).

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 11, 2017

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
That's about what I expected, the most credible optimistic response to climate change is somewhere between a shrew being reintroduced to Australia and "we'll pull through it because we always have, no I don't have any real reason to believe that"

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
call to action, I'm sorry to say, but the total collapse of human civilization won't happen during your lifetime.

You might get lucky and get a local collapse, though!

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Nobody said it will, douche. Life is going to get a lot more miserable though.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

call to action posted:

Nobody said it will, douche. Life is going to get a lot more miserable though.

Show us where anyone in the latest round of responses actually said

call to action posted:

"we'll pull through it because we always have, no I don't have any real reason to believe that"

or gently caress off forever.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
just lol if you don't think "We'll pull through because we always have" isn't the only thing left for the accelerationists celebrating the transition to natural gas to promise those who actually care about the future

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Every single person that relies on an IPCC certified report, particularly any non-8.5 report, is a hopium huffing know nothing, if that helps

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
this thread could benefit from the dog tax

what do you guys think

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

NewForumSoftware posted:

just lol if you don't think "We'll pull through because we always have" isn't the only thing left for the accelerationists celebrating the transition to natural gas to promise those who actually care about the future

no i care harder than u

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
The eternal war in this thread between people who want to be optimistic and people who want to be pessimistic is seriously one of the most awful things in D&D.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Paradoxish posted:

The eternal war in this thread between people who want to be optimistic and people who want to be pessimistic is seriously one of the most awful things in D&D.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depressive_realism

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Thug Lessons posted:

Well the Yangtze frequently runs dry now even in normal years. And with demand increasing even proportionately small decreases in flow have severe consequences.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

I know it's annoying to people who just want to post about climate change, but these arguments need to be hashed out.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Squalid posted:

Well the Yangtze frequently runs dry now even in normal years. And with demand increasing even proportionately small decreases in flow have severe consequences.

It doesn't run dry in normal years, though it did during an unprecedented recent drought. The second part's correct though.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Paradoxish posted:

If you put the usual offenders on ignore, the thread really tightens up.

Thug Lessons posted:

I know it's annoying to people who just want to post about climate change, but these arguments need to be hashed out.

No, they really don't. It's almost always just some idiot making GBS threads on mitigation/adaptation chat or some idiot who's all 'Silver Bullets or nothing!'

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

call to action posted:

Every single person that relies on an IPCC certified report, particularly any non-8.5 report, is a hopium huffing know nothing, if that helps

Hell yeah dude. gently caress climate science, and gently caress cutting emissions.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Accretionist posted:

If you put the usual offenders on ignore, the thread really tightens up.

No, they really don't. It's almost always just some idiot making GBS threads on mitigation/adaptation chat or some idiot who's all 'Silver Bullets or nothing!'

I really don't understand this perspective of people who come to a forum for debates and then get this mad when people debate something.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Paradoxish posted:

Well considering there's literally no reason to believe we'll be able to beat this, outside of "maybe the science is wrong", I would agree that the continued fighting is indeed pretty awful

Thug Lessons posted:

Hell yeah dude. gently caress climate science, and gently caress cutting emissions.

Wow, you're intensely stupid. Climate science is the only thing that may keep human life in an organized, civilized form on this planet through 2100. The bullshit, fake-rear end carbon sequestration schemes that have no basis in physical or economic reality represents a hideous accelerationism that I simply can't subscribe to. Every single RCP scheme has literal hopium for devices that cannot and will not exist embedded within them, no reference to the clear positive feedback loops we're currently seeing, etc.

If I'm talking to a climate denier, maybe I'll convince them that real change is needed now - like ending capitalism level change. I'll never convince someone who's been blinded by globalist propaganda like the IPCC RCPs.

call to action fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 11, 2017

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Thug Lessons posted:

I really don't understand this perspective of people who come to a forum for debates and then get this mad when people debate something

There's a difference between debating a subject and debating someone's inability to understand either the subject or what's being said.

Baseball chat would suck if all you ever did was argue that baseball isn't hockey

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

call to action posted:

Well considering there's literally no reason to believe we'll be able to beat this, outside of "maybe the science is wrong", I would agree that the continued fighting is indeed pretty awful

Wow, you're intensely stupid. Climate science is the only thing that may keep human life in an organized, civilized form on this planet through 2100. The bullshit, fake-rear end carbon sequestration schemes that have no basis in physical or economic reality represents a hideous accelerationism that I simply can't subscribe to. Every single RCP scheme has literal hopium for devices that cannot and will not exist embedded within them, no reference to the clear positive feedback loops we're currently seeing, etc.

If I'm talking to a climate denier, maybe I'll convince them that real change is needed now - like ending capitalism level change. I'll never convince someone who's been blinded by globalist propaganda like the IPCC RCPs.

Hideous accelerationism and globalist propaganda. I like the ring of that. There might be some hope for preventing catastrophe and ending capitalism at the same time if we can achieve those things.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Accretionist posted:

There's a difference between debating a subject and debating someone's inability to understand either the subject or what's being said.

Baseball chat would suck if all you ever did was argue that baseball isn't hockey

If somebody is saying something completely out of whack then they have to be corrected or else other people will start believing their bullshit. But I mean, by all means, if you want to put me or anyone else who loves to argue on ignore because you hate arguments then do it for your own sake; I just don't understand why people feel that way.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

call to action posted:

Based on the scientific literature what do you believe will happen then?

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Bates posted:

Based on the scientific literature what do you believe will happen then?

We won't adhere to any emissions targets put forth by the IPCC report

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Thug Lessons posted:

I just don't understand why people feel that way.

Because it's a rationalization. Disagreement isn't a cash-only business you can launder dumb bullshit through to turn it into the good stuff.

You think there's value in arguing that baseball and hockey are the same thing, go for it.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Accretionist posted:

Because it's a rationalization. Disagreement isn't a cash-only business you can launder dumb bullshit through to turn it into the good stuff.

You think there's value in arguing that baseball and hockey are the same thing, go for it.

At the risk of belaboring an argument about arguments, can you point to what I'm saying that's as absurd as saying baseball = equals hockey? Because from my perspective I see people come in here and smear their poo poo all over the walls while raving about "the IPCC's globalist propaganda" and I feel compelled to point out that's nonsense lest someone believe it.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Notice how he latches on to the words I used, not the actual content of my post. Reminds me of the Michael Mann response to that awesome piece on climate in NYM

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

call to action posted:

Notice how he latches on to the words I used, not the actual content of my post. Reminds me of the Michael Mann response to that awesome piece on climate in NYM

Dude, if you want to prove your point, start backing it up with evidence. Evidence from the "real" climate scientists, or whomever you believe to have in your corner. Because you certain sound like a raving lunatic and going after climate scientists in defense of that terrible, universally-panned article isn't helping the case.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Thug Lessons posted:

Dude, if you want to prove your point, start backing it up with evidence. Evidence from the "real" climate scientists, or whomever you believe to have in your corner. Because you certain sound like a raving lunatic and going after climate scientists in defense of that terrible, universally-panned article isn't helping the case.

here's my evidence that we wont hit any of the IPCC emissions targets: our current emissions

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

For those of you arguing our emissions have exceeded all RCP scenarios, do you have any peer reviewed sources that explicitly state that?

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Trabisnikof posted:

For those of you arguing our emissions have exceeded all RCP scenarios, do you have any peer reviewed sources that explicitly state that?

The chart I posted earlier is taken from this article:

http://sci-hub.io/10.1038/nclimate2148

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

NewForumSoftware posted:

here's my evidence that we wont hit any of the IPCC emissions targets: our current emissions

That would have been a cause for alarm as of the 5th report but emissions have leveled off since then. They've barely risen since 2014. It's likely we've fallen below the RCP8.5 scenario. We're still not on track for RCP2.6 and I'm almost certain we'll exceed it, but there's a huge difference between 2.5-3C and 5C that you might get on RCP8.5.

Edit: Your above link is from 2014

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Also here's the thing: you can't actually project future emissions going literally decades into the future based on current emissions because we can change emissions levels. Indeed, we already have. Neither the 2010-2013 rise nor the 2014-2017 leveling-off can be taken as indicative of future emissions levels because there are factors pulling in both directions on each and no one has a crystal ball to predict which will prevail.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Thug Lessons posted:

Also here's the thing: you can't actually project future emissions going literally decades into the future based on current emissions because we can change emissions levels. Indeed, we already have. Neither the 2010-2013 rise nor the 2014-2017 leveling-off can be taken as indicative of future emissions levels because there are factors pulling in both directions on each and no one has a crystal ball to predict which will prevail.

could you do some predictions looking at historical trends? or is this just we can't know for sure so let's assume the best?

also how do you square this circle:

maybe... natural feedbacks will overpower any sort of minuscule emissions reductions we manage to pull off?

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

NewForumSoftware posted:

could you do some predictions looking at historical trends? or is this just we can't know for sure so let's assume the best?

More like we can't assume the worst like you're claiming we should. But no, I don't think historical projections would do much good predicatively since decarbonization is relying on diversification into new energy sources, (gas and renewables), as well as poo poo like EVs that are really just hitting the market. You can do some interesting thought experiments like "how much CO2 would we need to emit to industrialize Africa" but even those couldn't really have predictive value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Thug Lessons posted:

More like we can't assume the worst like you're claiming we should. But no, I don't think historical projections would do much good predicatively since decarbonization is relying on diversification into new energy sources, (gas and renewables), as well as poo poo like EVs that are really just hitting the market. You can do some interesting thought experiments like "how much CO2 would we need to emit to industrialize Africa" but even those couldn't really have predictive value.

I'm not claiming we should assume the worst, im claming we are on track to surpass the worst projections of the IPCC's most recent report

which shouldn't be surprising given that the report chose to leave out things we know a lot more about now