Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

If this is from release then you're missing the bug that made Kholek take up half the screen and therefore I give this a 5 at best :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Man I really should have played empire or dwarves first. Finished first short campaign as VC and it generally kicked my rear end (H campaign), I have played everything since shogun 2 on legendary. To much stuff was just way different, I didn't even figure out you could overcharge spells until like 10 turns before I won (this would have been a huge game changer to be able to AOE heal my units throughout the campaign).

I systematically did everything wrong that I could out the gate, made friends with humans, immediately declared war on dwarves only to find out that's they're all armored and generally immune to my psychology and I can't capture their settlements. Got into a weird stalemate early on where I spent like 60 turns trying not to piss off humans, not able to afford armor piercing units, and unable to take Zhufbar to the NE but also unable to move my armies from E Sylvania lest the dwarves sack everything. I completely avoided using wraiths until late game.

I expanded N to take on Chaos (and was somehow allied with empire for a while), eventually crushing them before both the dwarves and empire decided to go to war at the same time with me.

Ugh, what a slog. Think I ended the short campaign around turn 250.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

Hunt11 posted:

So what is everybody's favorite experience of TW Warhammer 1 before the sequel comes out. For me it is a tie between beating up Archeon with Grimgor in such a way that when I re fought the map I could point out where he was buried, and besieging settlements with multiple war mammoths and watching as they smash through all but the hardest of lines once they breached the gates.

Basically every huge attritious battle where I was the dwarfs. I thought for sure I'd hate playing them before the game came out, and I ended up thinking they're pretty great. Just stocky, surly, slow, unmovable bastards with big guns.

Oh, and the time I was doing a wood elf campaign and I had to fight several stacks of goblins, including skarsnik. I was able to just barely hold them off, and I just ran my camera over all the dead afterwards because the field was littered with thousands of corpses.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Ice Fist posted:

If this is from release then you're missing the bug that made Kholek take up half the screen and therefore I give this a 5 at best :colbert:

Khokek wasn't there. I fought him a couple of turns later IIRC.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Randarkman posted:

Khokek wasn't there. I fought him a couple of turns later IIRC.

I know I'm just messing.

This was always hilarious though:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Someone post that animated gif of the peasant archers getting creamed by a cavalry charge, complete with some poor sod going :byodood: across the screen. Just quintessential Total War Warhammer.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Lowkey but fighting off a near-full stack of undead garbage plus the Red Duke and 2-3 Grave Guards with just Alberic, 4 Knights of the Realm, and 4 Peasant Archers. Showed me just how magnificent the Bretonnian cavalry charge is, and how solid their shooting actually is, as well as actually being very challenging to fight.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
My favorite fight was the one near the end of my first Norsca run I just did. I chose to fight WoC and cobbled together three armies to try to get them out of the picture fast since I was hemorrhaging money. I ended up fighting them with Throgg, Wulfrick, and Surtha Ek against all four of the legendary lords armies at once. By far the biggest battle I've fought in total warhammer, by the end of it it was just Throgg, a scattering of his ice trolls, and a skin wolf hero left on my side, everyone else having died or routed. Throgg personally killed Archaeon, Sigvald, Kholek, and Sartoreal which I'm pretty sure makes him the new everchosen. I was legit surprised I won that one, this is my first campaign on hard mode and its been rough adjusting.

4th Horseman
Jun 3, 2011
Chaos end time hordes on a hill bearing down on my empire army. Swordsmen dying in droves to chaos warriors, reiksguard cycle charging endlessly, franz and other mounted heros desperately intercepting hellcannons before they got in range.
So many chaos emerging from the treeline.

It was my first campaign and my best experience.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Panfilo posted:

Someone post that animated gif of the peasant archers getting creamed by a cavalry charge, complete with some poor sod going :byodood: across the screen. Just quintessential Total War Warhammer.

http://i.imgur.com/rd5vhta.gifv

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I think my favorite battle was holding Bechafen as the Vampire Counts against Chaos, and watching Mannfred sweep over the walls to set himself up for a wind of death cast that would obliterate about a half dozen units.

Chaos was super bunched up at the gate their giant had broken open, and I managed to get Manny behind that giant clump and cast the wind towards the wall and basically through the gate (which I guess is possible if you target it outside of the wall?). It did some friendly fire, but it pretty much wiped out the main force that was giving me trouble (I didn't have a ton of armor piercing and my crypt ghouls were hurting even with Nehek). A single cast of that spell saved my rear end.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
skarsnik pretending to be afraid of dwarves has been my favorite part

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Moon dragon spot with one hell of a sync kill.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1Y75CQuQB4

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

My most epic battle was during the chaos invasion, somewhere near Kislev, Thogrim and a master engineer had just killed Kholek's army, but were pretty beat up after, and three full chaos stacks including sigvald were hiding just behind. So I had Ungrim and a full stack of elite dwarfs block the chaos stacks from reaching the high king, and basically held the door while thogrim and the engineer stacks made it back to dwarf territory.

My most fun battle was Throgg + 19 assorted trolls destroying a fully garrisoned Praag

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Mordja posted:

Moon dragon spot with one hell of a sync kill.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1Y75CQuQB4

what CA has done with the god-awful Warhammer Fantasy dragon models remains one of their finest pieces of work

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I just noticed the other day that Azhag's wyvern has a giant mouth on its belly

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Hunt11 posted:

So what is everybody's favorite experience of TW Warhammer 1 before the sequel comes out. For me it is a tie between beating up Archeon with Grimgor in such a way that when I re fought the map I could point out where he was buried, and besieging settlements with multiple war mammoths and watching as they smash through all but the hardest of lines once they breached the gates.

It was my first time playing any TW I was Grimgor doing that tunnel fight with the dwarves that shows you how quests work. Well my army held for a bit but eventually routed, sept old Ironhide.:orks101:

He killed more stunties that day than anyone else has throughout all my campaigns. The real memory comes from bragging to my roommate, then getting the idea that it may have been scripted and Grimgor couldn't lose that fight. Which bummed me. Until i tested it and found out you can totally lose that fight.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Hunt11 posted:

My main dwarf army getting attack by 3 chaos stacks , fortunately the map I got had a big slope, so Iined up my troops, let my cannons take out their hardest units and leaders so my warriors and quarrellers just had to deal with the riff raff who were exhausted once they reached the top. Watching their approaching armies being swarmed by retreating units from the previous attack was a good time.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Ze Pollack posted:

what CA has done with the god-awful Warhammer Fantasy dragon models remains one of their finest pieces of work

No seriously, pretty much all the official dragons except for that one-off carmine thing were hilariously derpy. CA being able to make Warhammer dragon designs good while still be recognizably those designs is awesome.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

I don't know who took this, but it's still my favorite image:

:thunk:

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
Beating the Red Duke and a 3/4 full stack of mostly Grave Guard with my undefended settlement's garrison.

Finding a Chaos Lord named Kylass Deathmetal was pretty close, though.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Ze Pollack posted:

It's a shame dragons are so puny, they're the best lookers by far

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

All the model work is awesome, but the dragons look really really nice. I really, really wish they would have had a sync kill where it claws the enemy dragons' jaws open and breathes flame down its loving throat. That'd be rad.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Jo Joestar posted:

Beating the Red Duke and a 3/4 full stack of mostly Grave Guard with my undefended settlement's garrison.

Finding a Chaos Lord named Kylass Deathmetal was pretty close, though.

I swear I've seen an Empire Lord named Pitzcock von Dogburglar.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

jokes posted:

All the model work is awesome, but the dragons look really really nice. I really, really wish they would have had a sync kill where it claws the enemy dragons' jaws open and breathes flame down its loving throat. That'd be rad.

the swap.avi of sync kills

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

jokes posted:

on my phone so I can't link time stamps but around 42 seconds in is how I'm imagining that.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
Hey what's a good way to test graphics performance in this game? Should I be going for the maximum amount of units on screen? Or missiles?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Don Gato posted:

on my phone so I can't link time stamps but around 42 seconds in is how I'm imagining that.

Yeah man that's what's up.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

BadOptics posted:

I don't know who took this, but it's still my favorite image:

:thunk:

you're welcome my friend, it remains my greatest Warhammer moment

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
My favorite campaign moment was probably my coop empire campaign. I was Stirland/Gelt, buddy was Empire/Karl. We unified the Empire in record time, ran north and burned out the Norscans, and when Chaos showed up, we had our armies stationed, along with some AI dwarf armies, right at the border, and saw them off without losing a single settlement.

Favorite battle... well, honestly, I haven't found individual battles to be that memorable from Empire onwards for Reasons. They all kind of blur together, not enough drama or variance or some such thing to make things stand out. idk. I can remember fights I've had in that med 2 mod better than in TWW proper. :smith:

Its not even like a gameplay problem, since the battles are more fun. They're just kind of less distinct in my mind. Maybe its more a campaign tempo sort of issue or something.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

playing some cataphs stuff right now

pro really neat poo poo
con have to turn on like 30 mods and had to make a mod pack for friends to try it

I loving love merchant princes as a lord unit and how useless they are

almost everything is like festive: +30 growth also -3% local income

useless yellow line, half assed red line, and two blue lines that don't even include campaign movement

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

and the best first blue skill I've seen

EDIT: Haha the paymaster gives your entire armor negative leadership if the paymaster does not have high morale

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 12, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Hmm, seems like 'very best money can buy' would actually push you towards cheaper, more numerous units. The +ap and +armour is most significant for units with poor base values in that, and the upkeep increase in a percentage so you'll really not want to use it with elite units.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

He can nullify that with a different blue skill for -15% upkeep for all units.

Although this is mostly from Leonardo Catrazza, the LL, I am enjoying how utterly useless the merchant princes are instead.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Fangz posted:

Hmm, seems like 'very best money can buy' would actually push you towards cheaper, more numerous units. The +ap and +armour is most significant for units with poor base values in that, and the upkeep increase in a percentage so you'll really not want to use it with elite units.

Sounds like a poorly thought out ability, the bonuses are also better for larger units that tend to be less elite.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

ahah

merchant princes can be upgraded to just be a useless piece of poo poo that just causes you problems

you can also then just put them in enemy territories to do the same thing and also increase the upkeep of the enemy armies

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It's a hard knock life for a peasant.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

mod idea

take personal control of chariot or knights so you can drive them around like cars and do charges with them

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Great shots, this game is ridiculously well put together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Third World Reggin posted:

mod idea

take personal control of chariot or knights so you can drive them around like cars and do charges with them

He'll, I'd love to be able to control a lord unit or monster like a fps game.

• Locked thread