Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
I liked the vibrating charging Pennywise, it reminded me of moments in nightmares/night terrors when it gets really really intense right before you wake up screaming

Happened to me a bunch as a kid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DorianGravy posted:

Great movie. One thing I liked was how, especially in the opening scene, there were moments when it looked like one of IT's eyes was pointed directly at us, the viewers, as if IT was watching us too.

Something about most of the Pennywise appearances seems as though they're filmed for 3D -- the face-stabilized images, subtly growing and shrinking, moving at a different framerate, etc. But the main thing that tips it is that he directly faces addresses the audience, not any the characters, unless he's actually in the same space as any of those characters. It's a really good detail.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair King has actually hinted at a followup to It. The Losers appear in some of his other books (most recently his JFK assassination one where Richie and Bev make a fairly significant appearance) and scattered throughout his books are hints that It has survived, things like "Pennywise Lives" graffiti. I don't know if he'll pull the switch but he did make a sequel to The Shining so...

God, I hope not. Dr. Sleep was butt. And has one of the greatest missed opportunities in his writing career: at the end of the novel Danny Torrence frees one of the old ghosts from The Shining to help him take out the Big Baddie. There's this huge build up to what the ghost is going to be.. and it's Horace Derwent, proprietor of The Overlook. Which is super lame because pulling the monstrous, shadow version of his father swinging the roque mallet to do the deed was right there, and would have tied a nice bow on the two stories..

I'm actually reading 11/22/63, and I highly recommend it as a follow-up to IT. In addition to some of the Losers showing up in person, the main character spends a bit of time in Derry and describes in great detail how darkly menacing it is. He even passes by the fence that Henry Bowers and Ben tumble through, which hasn't been mended as his arrival occurs shortly after the end of the first part of IT. Pretty cool.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Fart City posted:

I'm actually reading 11/22/63, and I highly recommend it as a follow-up to IT. In addition to some of the Losers showing up in person, the main character spends a bit of time in Derry and describes in great detail how darkly menacing it is. He even passes by the fence that Henry Bowers and Ben tumble through, which hasn't been mended as his arrival occurs shortly after the end of the first part of IT. Pretty cool.

Thats my favorite book of his I've read in a long time, what it covers, where it ends up, just a wonderful book to me.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Tom Guycot posted:

Thats my favorite book of his I've read in a long time, what it covers, where it ends up, just a wonderful book to me.

Wholeheartedly agree. I'm not finished just yet, but so far it stands shoulder-to-shoulder with his best work.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The bit where he teaches Richie and Bev how to lindy hop is weirdly beautiful - that whole book handles time travel in such a striking way that I've never seen elsewhere.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://mic.com/articles/184292/mike-hanlon-the-black-kid-in-stephen-kings-it-has-a-really-good-backstory-the-movie-erased-it#.q978c5qN0

quote:

But as my colleague Kristen Yoonsoo Kim pointed out, Muschietti’s adaptation goes a step further than merely cutting corners in the name of economy. The film doesn’t just flatten Mike’s backstory. It reduces him to the kind of token black character that King’s novel was so adept at avoiding.

In the film, Mike barely has any lines. The role of group historian has been taken from him and given to a white character instead. He still gets targeted by Henry Bowers, but gone is the racial subtext that made the experience so entwined with Derry’s history of violence. His blackness seems largely incidental. And as a result, the film never has to address the messy topic of race or how it informs the lone black character’s life.

It would be one thing to gripe about this for failing to stay faithful to the novel — which probably would have been impossible anyway, gargantuan as it is. But by turning Mike into a token instead of a person, the filmmakers did a greater disservice. They robbed audiences of one of the more intriguing black characters in modern horror history.

Love the movie but why'd they have to give Mike's historian schtick to Haystack and then make Mike a dumb farm boy who brings a gun to the final showdown and uses his immense mythical and terrifying black strength to overpower the main human villain. Man, I wonder if Hollywood is racist...

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Knowing what will happen to a degree in Part 2 really helps a watch of this film as it makes interactions with the kids somewhat saddening. Especially Stan and Eddie.

It does make me wonder about some of the changes though. As been mentioned; Mike shouldn't be the one to stay back (no strong family connections, they gave the historical stuff to him). Henry seems really dead, but maybe they'll bring him back specifically to go after Mike. However, the Mike-Bowers arc already happens here, really. Similarly, I'm wandering if they'll just take away the Audrey thing entirely since Bev already did it here.

I am really looking forward to 2 now, and think it will be a hit as well. I didn't care as much about the adults in the mini series, they didn't seem related to their kid representatives, but seeing the kids and growing attached to them in one movie makes me care more about the adults in the second pretty much as default.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Box office returns are in, IT only made a paltry $123,000,000 opening weekend and may be on track to be the second highest grossing R rated movie ever (inflation notwithstanding). Sorry to dash your hopes of part two ever happening :(

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

935 posted:

Box office returns are in, IT only made a paltry $123,000,000 opening weekend and may be on track to be the second highest grossing R rated movie ever (inflation notwithstanding). Sorry to dash your hopes of part two ever happening :(

Jesus, isn't that like double the takings of the second highest rated R-rated horror?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Jesus, isn't that like double the takings of the second highest rated R-rated horror?

It entirely pulverized paranormal activity 3's opening weekend record.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

ImpAtom posted:

Yes.

"Not only is It now the largest ever opening for a horror movie and the largest September opening of all time, the film more than doubled the earnings of the previous record holders. Before this weekend, Paranormal Activity 3 had the biggest horror opening with $52.6m from 2011, and the highest September debut was Hotel Transylvania 2’s $48.5m in 2015." (from here)

It demolished the box office. It also had a bigger opening than every other movie that came out this summer with the exception of Guardians of the Galaxy 2

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Berzerker posted:

Yes.

"Not only is It now the largest ever opening for a horror movie and the largest September opening of all time, the film more than doubled the earnings of the previous record holders. Before this weekend, Paranormal Activity 3 had the biggest horror opening with $52.6m from 2011, and the highest September debut was Hotel Transylvania 2’s $48.5m in 2015." (from here)

It demolished the box office. It also had a bigger opening than every other movie that came out this summer with the exception of Guardians of the Galaxy 2

That is absolutely crazy. It'll be interesting to see if it keeps momentum but at very least that's an insane debut.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Between IT and the success of Deadpool last year, hopefully studios will get hip to the fact that R-rated movies can make serious bank at the box office if they have strong creative teams behind them and prove worthy of the audience's dollar.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

MisterBibs posted:

The best part about the tv-related parts is the look the lady on the TV has when she walks off-screen. It's agony, like she's really being told to say this, doesn't want to, but doesn't have a choice..

Yeah, I could see it too. There's some real unsaid disgust, which makes it odder that it's part of a hallucination.

Between that, the scene with Bill's dad and the climax of the movie, it makes me wonder about how many were aware of Pennywise when it was their generation's turn. Like, the movie focuses on the Losers because they confide in each other and stand up to the threat, but how many other kids know that Pennywise exists in some way? Was he stalking them at some point? Did he kill their friend? Did they actually see him kill someone? How many are biting their tongue about the killer clown that adults can't perceive?

Lots of the adults in Derry are survivors of Pennywise, they just either don't know it or don't remember it. While I don't want to see a prequel or anything, I still wonder how aware the children were back in the early 60's. Surely, at least a handful of kids had to have an inkling of an idea of what was out to get them and their peers. After all, it isn't that hard to escape a Pennywise confrontation. And if they were in any way aware of him, they let fear control them by doing nothing. They turned their backs and crossed their fingers. They hid under the covers and hoped that the boogeyman would go after someone else and go away. Those children could have been anyone from the Losers' parents to the couple driving past the bullying on the bridge to the TV show host. They don't truly remember any of this, but Pennywise certainly got his claws into them and paved the way for how they act for his next go-around.

Essentially, they refused to fight the Devil and now they live in Hell because of it.

So then you see how the parents react to what's happening and it paints an interesting picture. Two parents are far-gone monsters who outright abuse their children. One parental figure harshly demands the kid stand up for himself. Then you have two parents who strictly don't want their kids poking the bear even though Pennywise wants children to seek him out. It's almost like Bill's father and Eddie's mother don't so much have memories of Pennywise, but they know he's out there on an instinctual level. They would rather have their kids stand down and let the bad monster do its thing and move on just like they may have done at some point.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
okay for real, did anyone else get tripped out as all gently caress over the adorable little kid from Stranger Things playing Richie and dropping Tarantino-level amounts of gently caress-words

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
like I thought it was absolutely hilarious and awesome, but man that got some weird wires crossed for me

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Re: Mike and racism

Shouldn't it be taken into account that the book is set in the 1950s for when they're kids and the movie is set in what looks to be the late 80s, early 90s?

Not to say that racism wasn't and isn't still prevalent, just that it definitely would've been more socially acceptable in the 50s.

Also, I recognize that the racism of Derry residents contributes to Mike's character. It doesn't make sense to remove it entirely, it just would have to be framed a little differently.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

b-minus1 posted:

This was mediocre at best. So many early scenes felt inconsequential. The girl almost gets pulled down a bathroom sink drain, and a few scenes later everyone is cleaning the bathroom while some hipster song plays. Lmao girl you almost died and now you want to have a cleaning party? Actually, wtf was with the modern soundtrack? I thought this was supposed to be a horror movie

That was The Cure - Six Different Ways and came out like 4 years before the movie was supposed to be taking place. Also, that scene was a total Stranger Things thing.. spoofing things from the 80s because.. 80s.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

The cleaning scene is also from the book. Only the Losers can see the blood, and Bev feels like she would go crazy having to just, like, exist in it, so she asks the others to help her out with cleaning it up. It's not a party, but it shows true remarkable resiliency of kids in the face of incomprehensible events.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Fart City posted:

The cleaning scene is also from the book. Only the Losers can see the blood, and Bev feels like she would go crazy having to just, like, exist in it, so she asks the others to help her out with cleaning it up. It's not a party, but it shows true remarkable resiliency of kids in the face of incomprehensible events.

Again, they were parodying absurd 80s montages for the scene.. it was lifting straight from part of what makes Stranger Things so fun. I enjoyed it.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Not debating that. Just providing context.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Fart City posted:

Not debating that. Just providing context.

Yeah, I guess I was just adding emphasis that it was very on the nose "we know this montage is weird" because it was a very common 80s trend.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

This is even better on a rewatch; the actors all bring such great subtle character moments. I'm going to miss seeing this with a crowd.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Saw IT last night. As a Stand by Me sort of film, I loved it. The kids were likeable, the acting was great, was all good.

As a horror film, it loving sucked.

Overall I'm glad I saw it, but it was frustrating as hell.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yup.

PantsBandit posted:

Re: Mike and racism

Shouldn't it be taken into account that the book is set in the 1950s for when they're kids and the movie is set in what looks to be the late 80s, early 90s?

Not to say that racism wasn't and isn't still prevalent, just that it definitely would've been more socially acceptable in the 50s.

Also, I recognize that the racism of Derry residents contributes to Mike's character. It doesn't make sense to remove it entirely, it just would have to be framed a little differently.

some kids just tried to lynch an eight year old biracial kid the other day.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The "is it a horror movie or not" debate is absurd. The movie makes you like the characters, then it puts them in danger, which increases tension. I'm scared for the kids safety, even if I'm not scared by the same things they are. That is what horror movies do.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Groovelord Neato posted:

some kids just tried to lynch an eight year old biracial kid the other day.

Presenting an extreme example doesn't change the fact that the face of racism has changed in the past 60 years. What a lazy response.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Entertainment Weekly has an article about some of the plans for Chapter Two.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

feedmyleg posted:

The "is it a horror movie or not" debate is absurd. The movie makes you like the characters, then it puts them in danger, which increases tension. I'm scared for the kids safety, even if I'm not scared by the same things they are. That is what horror movies do.

Nah, bro, horror movies are all about dolls and found footage and sometimes torture now.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That's kind of what I thought they'd do with Mike. Minus the drug thing. Which I can see how it could be a turn off to some, I kinda like mind altering drugs to substitute for the smoke house, which was my favorite scene in the book.

One they hinted at with the Pennywise dance scene.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Ack, I loved Chapter One, but I don't think many would argue that one of its weakest points is how it deals with Mike, and this article suggests that they're doubling down on it. A junkie? Really? Maybe it's a wait-and-see thing, but, that really doesn't seem like a good idea. .

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think what they were saying is he becomes a junkie for knowledge, but also takes a ton of mind altering drugs to look inward into Pennywise's past and how to defeat him.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

PantsBandit posted:

Presenting an extreme example doesn't change the fact that the face of racism has changed in the past 60 years. What a lazy response.

white supremacists run the government.

maine is the south of the north. it'd make sense for him to still be a racist shithead in the 80s.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
PantsBandit should peep Do The Right Thing.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Karloff posted:

Ack, I loved Chapter One, but I don't think many would argue that one of its weakest points is how it deals with Mike, and this article suggests that they're doubling down on it. A junkie? Really? Maybe it's a wait-and-see thing, but, that really doesn't seem like a good idea. .

Man gently caress that.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
The direction for Mike in that article makes me a bit uncomfortable because they could get really racist with it if they go crazy homeless crackhead, etc. Maybe it'll be fine but knowing Hollywood I have have a sneaking feeling about it ....

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Just saw it today and loved it. One of the best horror movies I've seen in years. The over the shoulder bit in the library was possibly my favorite part, along with the kids tv show. So many little parts like that made the atmosphere much more intense.

Huzanko posted:

his immense mythical and terrifying black strength to overpower the main human villain. Man, I wonder if Hollywood is racist...

You invented all this in your head to be outraged. He was getting his rear end kicked by the physically bigger kid and only managed to get up because he got in a lucky shot to the head with a rock. It also doesn't take "terrifying black strength" to push someone down a well.

Edit: VVV That's not what he's talking about though. Their take of Mike could be better filled out for sure though. Will wait to see how part 2 goes before passing judgement on something based on pre-movie chatter.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 11, 2017

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

ChesterJT posted:

You invented all this in your head to be outraged. He was getting his rear end kicked by the physically bigger kid and only managed to get up because he got in a lucky shot to the head with a rock. It also doesn't take "terrifying black strength" to push someone down a well.

Eh. In the interview posted just above where they talk about making Mike a junkie, they list his defining characteristic as his physical strength.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

I really hope they don't include the Black Spot fire in Part II.

• Locked thread