Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Inescapable Duck posted:

Artistic movements like postmodernism don't necessarily invent anything, what they do is open up spaces for different ideas, techniques and experiments which might not have been previously discussed or taken seriously. You can find elements of what might be called postmodernism way back in classical Greek theatre, they just didn't have the same words for it.
Of course, but that's why I made a point of using examples that really go out of their way to be post-modern and why I used the word "established" instead of "invented". There's a difference between using a technique associated with a movement and doing everything in your power to exemplify that movement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Sorry to interrupt the serious academic discussion, but I was following links from the Handbook for Mortals thread and came across something that might be of interest. It's a (n incomplete) chapter-by-chapter sporking of a book called Tiger's Curse by Colleen Houck: https://web.archive.org/web/20170327050103/http://chezapocalypse.com/category/readthrough-tigers-curse/page/2/
The book features an orphan girl who runs away from her annoying guardians to join the circus, and is immediately hired (despite her total lack of relevant knowledge or work experience) as a caretake for a white tiger. She feels a mysterious connection to the tiger, who smells like jasmine and sandalwood. Turns out, he's actually a 300-year-old Indian prince who was transmogrified by his enemies!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know how anyone could say modern literature isn't superior to that of the past. The Victorians did not have Iain M. Banks and Warhammer 40k novels, the unquestioned pinnacles of prose art.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I don't know how anyone could say modern literature isn't superior to that of the past. The Victorians did not have Iain M. Banks and Warhammer 40k novels, the unquestioned pinnacles of prose art.

What's wrong with Iain M. Banks. No, seriously. I only read Consider Phlebas and I liked it. Player Of Games is next on my list. Does he get weird later?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Don't worry, an author being mentioned in the terrible book thread doesn't make them Piers Anthony.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SerialKilldeer posted:

Sorry to interrupt the serious academic discussion, but I was following links from the Handbook for Mortals thread and came across something that might be of interest. It's a (n incomplete) chapter-by-chapter sporking of a book called Tiger's Curse by Colleen Houck: https://web.archive.org/web/20170327050103/http://chezapocalypse.com/category/readthrough-tigers-curse/page/2/
The book features an orphan girl who runs away from her annoying guardians to join the circus, and is immediately hired (despite her total lack of relevant knowledge or work experience) as a caretake for a white tiger. She feels a mysterious connection to the tiger, who smells like jasmine and sandalwood. Turns out, he's actually a 300-year-old Indian prince who was transmogrified by his enemies!

Doesn't sound like it'd be too out of place in some old fairy tale book, though guessing the story takes it a lot more seriously.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

the pinnacle of literature is ten thousand novels about 'orrible murders

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Most genre novels aren't worth wiping one's rear end with. Unfortunately, the same can be said for most non-genre novels, because 99.9999999% of everything is not good.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Genre fiction gets a bad rap because bad books that involve dragons and/or spaceships and/or vampires are more fun to joke about than bad books that don't involve them.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

that "do you know techno" youtube clip, but books instead

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Arcsquad12 posted:

Last time I was in Chapters I saw that book and laughed. Then I saw World War Moo and it had a better cover.

Right, I'm going to read that book judging it solely by its cover.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Inescapable Duck posted:

Genre fiction gets a bad rap because bad books that involve dragons and/or spaceships and/or vampires are more fun to joke about than bad books that don't involve them.

Yeah. It's much easier to take the piss out of M'tar-qlzt, WARRIOUR OF ÞARN and his dwarven gunchucks (they're two guns joined together with a length of chain, you see) than it is to mock the midlife crisis of Simon Blake, shoe salesman and father of two, and his repressed passion for the young woman who works in the stockroom.
Genre fiction just seems to go wrong in more entertaining ways. Bad literary fiction is just dull.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Groke posted:

Right, I'm going to read that book judging it solely by its cover.

Can't be any worse than World War Z.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

The_White_Crane posted:

Genre fiction just seems to go wrong in more entertaining ways. Bad literary fiction is just dull.
Bad literary fiction is dull until you get to a sex scene, and then it's all jismic butt-oinks and doorknob masturbation.

tasukiscool
Feb 15, 2003

Voted most likely to be tied to train tracks 2007 - 2008
Slippery Tilde

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Bad literary fiction is dull until you get to a sex scene, and then it's all jismic butt-oinks and doorknob masturbation.

Did someone say bad literary sex scene?

Did you know Morrissey wrote a book? posted:

Eliza and Ezra rolled together into the one giggling snowball of full-figured copulation, screaming and shouting as they playfully bit and pulled at each other in a dangerous and clamorous rollercoaster coil of sexually violent rotation with Eliza’s breasts barrel-rolled across Ezra’s howling mouth and the pained frenzy of his bulbous salutation extenuating his excitement as it smacked its way into every muscle of Eliza’s body except for the otherwise central zone.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

tasukiscool posted:

PYF terrible book: the pained frenzy of his bulbous salutation

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

The Guardian do a good writeup every year of the Bad Sex in Literature awards

https://www.theguardian.com/books/badsexaward

Plenty fun quotes if you read a few of the articles.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

tasukiscool posted:

I'm imagining one of fighting clouds like they have in cartoons.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Douglas Adams wrote the best sex scene by having Arthur dent and Fenchurch have sec in the sky next to a passing jetliner

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Arcsquad12 posted:

Douglas Adams wrote the best sex scene by having Arthur dent and Fenchurch have sec in the sky next to a passing jetliner

Also he put a disclaimer right before it telling readers "here comes a sex scene and related stuff so if you don't want to read it skip ahead this many chapters because Marvin shows up there".

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I dunno, it might be good, don't judge a book by its back cover etc :o:

also from the tumblr post I found the pic on

quote:

OK FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO DON’T REALIZE, SANDRA HILL IS THE WOMAN WHO WROTE “ROUGH AMD READY” ANOTHER EROTIC VIKING NOVEL. SOME OF THE MORE MEMORABLE QUOTES BEING:

“As Hilda’s buttermilk bosoms squished up against his granite abs, Torolf almost had a dick aneurysm.”

“Torolf entered her like she was a lottery. His engorged pecker pushed inside her and she felt fulfilled with sexual fulfillment.”

“Her body was like a beautiful flower that was opening and somebody was pushing their dick inside it.”

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

That is the greatest comedic sex dialogue I've ever read, post excerpts.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

NoneMoreNegative posted:

“Her body was like a beautiful flower that was opening and somebody was pushing their dick inside it.”

ok, that makes "sexy Deadly Angels series" plausibly worth it

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

NoneMoreNegative posted:

if i never see the back of this loving book again it'll be too soon

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's so hard to believe that's not deliberately "bad", like a book version of Sharknado.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Yeah that just loving owns.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

There is no loving way anyone writes "Torolf entered her like she was a lottery." in a supposedly erotic context and expects it to be taken seriously, that has to be a parody. And “Her body was like a beautiful flower that was opening and somebody was pushing their dick inside it.” is quite literally one of the funniest things I've read, possibly ever.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

SiKboy posted:

There is no loving way anyone writes "Torolf entered her like she was a lottery." in a supposedly erotic context and expects it to be taken seriously, that has to be a parody. And “Her body was like a beautiful flower that was opening and somebody was pushing their dick inside it.” is quite literally one of the funniest things I've read, possibly ever.

It's seriously one step above My Immortal, so i can't enjoy it. Handbook for Mortals, on the other hand, gets all the little details just perfect. It cannot possibly be some kind of ploy to get controversy so bad it's good dollars, and I love it. It's like Twisted 2: The Twisteding.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

TenCentFang posted:

It's so hard to believe that's not deliberately "bad", like a book version of Sharknado.
No poo poo. This goofy stuff's been all over the Internet for years and has been made especially visible lately by Chuck Tingle; I'm not surprised that it's finally available for physical purchase.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

tasukiscool posted:

quote:

Eliza’s breasts barrel-rolled across Ezra’s howling mouth

(Also, fun surprise when you type "do a barrel roll" into Google.)

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

People just keep bringing it up like it's real, man.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

TenCentFang posted:

People just keep bringing it up like it's real, man.
I meant it like "How are other people not getting this?" not "How are you just getting this?"

Sham bam bamina! has a new favorite as of 01:03 on Sep 12, 2017

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Charles and Sarah are a typical New York creative class couple -- he's in finance, she works at a hipster small press, yet both are indie-rock East Village veterans who aren't above snorting a little heroin on the weekends. But when they decide to take the logical next step and buy a condo in one of the glass-and-steel skyscrapers now dotting the waterfront of Williamsburg, their lives start to fall apart almost the moment after they sign their mortgage; and this is to say nothing of their creepy neighbors, their possibly haunted apartment, job crises in both their industries, and former friends still in Manhattan who are determined to pull them back into the debauchery. A touching ode to the a--holes ruining Brooklyn, this literary debut of "the Millennial John Updike" is a funny yet wistful dramedy about young urban life during the Great Recession, and you do not need to be a New Yorker yourself to enjoy his smart insights about city living and growing older...although that certainly doesn't hurt.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

TenCentFang posted:

It's seriously one step above My Immortal, so i can't enjoy it. Handbook for Mortals, on the other hand, gets all the little details just perfect. It cannot possibly be some kind of ploy to get controversy so bad it's good dollars, and I love it. It's like Twisted 2: The Twisteding.

Lani Sarem has defended Handbook for Mortals ceaselessly, so I'm confident that it was an entirely serious attempt at getting famous. Someone in my Let's Read thread found an interview where she mentioned how she originally wrote it as a screenplay and turned it into a novel; the book supports this, as it runs exclusively on "Tell, don't show" and describes complicated visual effects like magic duels and teleporting without explaining anything about where Zade's power comes from or what goes through her mind and body when she casts such powerful spells. It's also got a ton of pointless errors, like incompletely highlighting paragraphs before italicizing or accidentally typing a word or part of a sentence twice, which suggests it was a first draft without an editor.

It's written like a bad fanfic, only it's by a 35-year-old woman.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Charles and Sarah are a typical New York creative class couple -- he's in finance, she works at a hipster small press, yet both are indie-rock East Village veterans who aren't above snorting a little heroin on the weekends. But when they decide to take the logical next step and buy a condo in one of the glass-and-steel skyscrapers now dotting the waterfront of Williamsburg, their lives start to fall apart almost the moment after they sign their mortgage; and this is to say nothing of their creepy neighbors, their possibly haunted apartment, job crises in both their industries, and former friends still in Manhattan who are determined to pull them back into the debauchery. A touching ode to the a--holes ruining Brooklyn, this literary debut of "the Millennial John Updike" is a funny yet wistful dramedy about young urban life during the Great Recession, and you do not need to be a New Yorker yourself to enjoy his smart insights about city living and growing older...although that certainly doesn't hurt.

Didn't IDEOTV do an ep on this one?

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

chitoryu12 posted:

Lani Sarem has defended Handbook for Mortals ceaselessly, so I'm confident that it was an entirely serious attempt at getting famous.

Right? It's so beautiful and I never want it to end. Bless you for doing the read of it.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Didn't IDEOTV do an ep on this one?
One of their best.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

From a little ways back, but: This book is free on Amazon Unlimited, so I'm going to have to read it now.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

chitoryu12 posted:

It's written like a bad fanfic, only it's by a 35-year-old woman.

I have news for you about who writes probably the most bad fanfics...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

neongrey posted:

I have news for you about who writes probably the most bad fanfics...

Based on the typical knowledge of male anatomy i had assumed they were written by teenage virgins.