Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
They'd put out some filings around the time of ipo showing that 80% of customers didn't stay a full two months and 90% didn't stay a full year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Their best-case scenario is that their product succeeds at getting the customer interested in real cooking. Unfortunately once that happens the customer pretty quickly realizes that he or she can do the same thing themselves for a lot less money and slightly more effort.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

How many of you have actually used it? It seems like not many, based on how people are talking about it. Like I've said I'm not optimistic about their business, but for the most part it is real cooking, at least the cooking part of it. The part it eliminates is meal planning and shopping. For the most part any part of the meal that can be made in under an hour is still something you do; so like chopping and mixing ingredients is not done for you, but if you're making, say, hamburgers, it'll come with buns. The cooking process itself is about the same as a typical home cooked meal with mostly raw ingredients from the grocery store.

e: I just reread your comment and I think I misread/misinterpreted the first time around. On second read I think I agree with everything said. It is hard to imagine too many people subscribing and staying subscribed long term, nor any way that they could realistically adjust their offering continually over time to keep people subscribed.

Steve French fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 11, 2017

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
My wife didn't like to cook at all (a long story about her mom being the worst cook), so she tried 'Hello Fresh' as an option for when I'm not around so that she would feel comfortable making something decent for dinner. It succeeded in getting her comfortable with cooking basic stuff very quickly; maybe a month@ 1 meal/week. Hello Fresh then spent a couple months sending us free stuff trying to convince us to reorder. So we paid about $100 for about 20 portions of food and diy cooking lessons that my wife enjoyed. VC money well spent from my perspective.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

fishmech posted:

When did the government EVER centralize food distribution in the US, even for single states and just their school food?

Your complaint is about some sort of alternate universe, because it sure isn't how any of these places work. At best you get centralized distribution for large town school districts.

You're looking too much into my post. "In the US" was not meant to imply "across the entire country, managed by the Feds." My only point is that, in the US, government-run food programs tend to create bad nutritional outcomes compared to their cost. I.e school and prison food sucks. Food in the Army isn't much better (though parts of it are surprisingly decentralized.) Thanks for reading my bad post.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ynglaur posted:

You're looking too much into my post. "In the US" was not meant to imply "across the entire country, managed by the Feds." My only point is that, in the US, government-run food programs tend to create bad nutritional outcomes compared to their cost. I.e school and prison food sucks. Food in the Army isn't much better (though parts of it are surprisingly decentralized.) Thanks for reading my bad post.

So you were complaining about some bizarre strawman for no apparent reason so you can whine about government being evil. Got it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ynglaur posted:

Are those government run centralized food providers worse than fast food for its cost? Since fast food chains are often what replaces the cafeteria in a school that seems like the correct comparison.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Motronic posted:

How is that not a real question? It has a direct impact on the manufacturer's cost to service the warranty - so if they are to take on that extra risk to allow you to use the battery pack "harder" they charge you more....... From both an electronics and cost standpoint this seems quite normal.

It's not a real question because it makes false assumptions about lithium-ion battery packs. Battery packs do not have wear leveling, because while memory cells are filled sequentially, battery cells are all used concurrently. Instead, battery packs have a procedure called cell balancing, where individual cells* are momentarily bypassed during charging if they have more charge than the other cells in series with them. There are no cells in reserve. The capacity of the pack in likely decreased in software in one of three ways: the pack chargers to a lower voltage, it increases the reserve capacity (the amount of actual capacity left in the battery when the battery management system reports 0% state of charge) or the charger simply stops charging completely when it reaches a certain % of full charge (this is slightly different, technically speaking, from the first option). A couple comments about supercharging time I read make me think it might be the last option, but I don't know for sure.

Lithium Ion batteries do degrade more rapidly when charged to or stored at higher voltages, but that wasn't the comment I was addressing. However, I'm not sure how much this would affect the warranty aspect. The difference is small enough to not really matter to the electronics (4.1V/cell vs 4.15V/cell, for instance). Maybe it affects early failures, but I can't say exactly how---battery lifetimes are generally measured by when you reach 50% of the original capacity--beyond that, the capacity drops more rapidly. However, since charging a cell to a higher voltage increases the "original" capacity, it needs to lose more absolute capacity than the lower-voltage cell in order to reach the 50% point. Not really sure where those two lines cross on the graph, generally (3 years? 5 years?), which is why it's hard to say how much this would affect early failures.

*actually, this is groups of cells in parallel. Laptop batteries might have 2 or 3 cells in parallel, but Tesla packs have like 70+ cells in each parallel group.

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 11, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I'm going to disrupt centralized self-driving iphone planning.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

RuanGacho posted:

It would be pretty cool if we could set up a meal system that gave school kids decent food and also educated them on how to make it.

So a Home Ec class? I haven't seen a school with a Home Ec class since 6th grade, but they taught us how to cook for our small in-class groups (room had multiple full oven/stove stations and each group would get the ingredients and recipe, while the teacher checked on us). Pretty much taught us how to take care of ourselves, minus how to manage money.

Most enjoyable class I've taken, excepting my Japanese teacher taking us to a sushi restaurant as a field trip.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Trabisnikof posted:

Are those government run centralized food providers worse than fast food for its cost? Since fast food chains are often what replaces the cafeteria in a school that seems like the correct comparison.

Speaking of straw men...:rolleyes: Yes, fast food is bad for you.

Sorry for the derail everybody.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

withak posted:

Their best-case scenario is that their product succeeds at getting the customer interested in real cooking. Unfortunately once that happens the customer pretty quickly realizes that he or she can do the same thing themselves for a lot less money and slightly more effort.

It is more that it is a lifestyle product, and that is what fuels the churn. You generally could not replicate the product exactly via personal grocery shopping and save money. But many people are satisfied using repeat ingredients, repeat recipes, simpler recipes, etc. which is a different meal strategy, but aligns more closely with traditional family cooking patterns. Many customers rotate between the various products because of the limited choices and the ease of leveraging incentives. Also market research shows that 80% of households prefer shopping in a physical store to acquiring groceries via delivery.

BA suffers heavily from poor operations practices and supply chain issues, which was one of the primary reasons the COO was pushed out just a little under 2 months after going public. The CEO is one of those "the market just does not understand our genius but we will soon be on a rocket ship to the moon" types, and it is starting to show in the employee attrition generated from people finally becoming disillusioned with his out of touch leadership (just before the announcement of IPO filing, the company gave out option grants to all the fulfillment center staff with a strike price near $10... current market is ~$5.40, lol). If Amazon is truly interested in dominating the meal kit market, then the decentralized same-day fabrication/delivery with regionally diverse recipe model that Whole Foods can offer actually addresses the biggest weaknesses in the meal kit business model and operational challenges.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ynglaur posted:

Speaking of straw men...:rolleyes: Yes, fast food is bad for you.

Sorry for the derail everybody.

It isn't a strawman when that's literally happening at school campuses.

quote:

As they try to keep pace with student taste, lunchrooms across the country have given up meatloaf and mashed potatoes for brand-name fast-food items. In Edmond, Okla., middle school students load up their trays with Chick-Fil-A sandwiches. In Niskayuna, NY, elementary-schoolers get slices of Pizza Hut, fresh from the deliveryman. In Livermore, Calif., the high school cafeteria offers Panda Express rice bowls, Little Caesar’s pizza and burritos from a local chain.

(https://www.education.com/magazine/article/fast-food-school-cafeterias/)

When comparing something doesn't it make sense to compare it to the alternative being used rather than perfection?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Thanks for the informative post. I didn't realize that was happening. I dont think its a particularly good thing, especially given the number of children who get most of their meals at school. I wish nutrition were a bigger priority for local governments (though I don't claim to know how to get there.)

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

It's not a new thing, either. I remember having Pizza Hut pretty regularly in elementary school in the early 90s. Maybe every Tuesday or something?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
There's also the fact that it's not like fast food is actually significantly worse for you or even different from the other food people eat (nor is it particularly cheap, all considered, which would be a huge concern for switching to it entirely for a school's lunch needs if they're doing so for cost reasons).

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://www.aeraforhome.com/

quote:

Meet the first smart home fragrance system. Aera’s fragrance delivery system employs the most innovative & leading technologies in both scenting and the smart connected home movement. Exquisite fragrances designed to be a livable, breathable, everyday part of your home.

Aera’s hypoallergenic scent effect envelops your home with beautiful signature fragrances unlike any others in the industry.
I always said there ought to be a MIME type for smells.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Schubalts posted:

So a Home Ec class? I haven't seen a school with a Home Ec class since 6th grade, but they taught us how to cook for our small in-class groups (room had multiple full oven/stove stations and each group would get the ingredients and recipe, while the teacher checked on us). Pretty much taught us how to take care of ourselves, minus how to manage money.

Most enjoyable class I've taken, excepting my Japanese teacher taking us to a sushi restaurant as a field trip.

The supposed theory of high school is basic functioning graduating from it but look at Trump's America.

The one version I took if it in middle school had us bake one thing once, because it came out of the teachers pocket.

I think we are probably failing our schools.

Idea: Blue Apron but for schools, one meal a week. Bet you it narrows the business model and you can maximize profits on volume instead of $10 servings.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

But everyone has to goto college to get a STEM degree we can't pay for things like home ec, art, music, and civics. :downswords:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I know that my HS had a home ec room with oven etc because my homeroom was in there but hell if I know anyone who found the time to take the class

I mean I was lucky enough to have parents who cooked every night so I learned anyway but uhhh

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Shugojin posted:

I know that my HS had a home ec room with oven etc because my homeroom was in there but hell if I know anyone who found the time to take the class

I mean I was lucky enough to have parents who cooked every night so I learned anyway but uhhh

In grade 9, I had the option of shop or home ec. Taking one of them was required.

Everybody who could took shop. Pretty much only people who didn't sign up for shop fast enough took home ec, and even then I'm fairly certain they preferentially gave the boys shop when classes got full given that the home ec classes were probably 85-90% female. (There were so many more shop classes than home ec that the reverse wasn't true though; shop wasn't 85% male. More like 65%.)

Looking back I'm pretty sure home ec would've been the much better choice to take. It's not like I ever do woodworking now.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Everyone should take both, really.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
they should rename home ec, just call it cooking and kitchen skills, and do a "life skills"track in high school that covers just basic know how stuff like cooking, laundry, auto maintenance, childcare, finances and paying bills, etc.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Mozi posted:

Everyone should take both, really.

I don't disagree, but given the option of one home ec would have been better. It's not like shop taught me how to do any of the repairs or maintenance I've done around my apartment.

boner confessor posted:

they should rename home ec, just call it cooking and kitchen skills, and do a "life skills"track in high school that covers just basic know how stuff like cooking, laundry, auto maintenance, childcare, finances and paying bills, etc.

Yes. Stuff like this.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
We had to take both home ec and tech when I was in middle school (6 thru 8) every year.

I can't remember ever taking a tech class in high school though. I just don't remember a woodworking room anywhere.

I remember there being a home ec room, but I think it was only an elective in high school.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ive said it a dozen time but the Applied Mathematics course I took in highschool is probably the single most useful class I took in my entire education since it was nothing but things like figuring out monthly payments, financing rates, rate of return, investing and stocks, etc.

If highschool is supposed to prepare you to be an adult that plus home ec should be mandatory because I still meet people, one of whom literally works doe a bank,who do not understand that a 15 year home loan is cheaper than a 30 year home loan overall*.

*Yes I know this need not be strictly true but were operating in a general comparative sense here so swallow the lard on thsi one.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

exploded mummy posted:

I can't remember ever taking a tech class in high school though. I just don't remember a woodworking room anywhere.

I remember there being a home ec room, but I think it was only an elective in high school.
IIRC the insurance costs for any kind of shop/woodworking class are staggering. And, of course, we've been in a decades-long cycle of slashing everything that isn't reading, riting, and 'rithmetic.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Vast majority of dudes have no interest in home skills. They just move from mom's home to girlfriend's home to wife's home.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

cowofwar posted:

Vast majority of dudes have no interest in home skills. They just move from mom's home to girlfriend's home to wife's home.

which is why schools should teach them these things instead of allowing the learned helplessness to set in

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Barudak posted:

Ive said it a dozen time but the Applied Mathematics course I took in highschool is probably the single most useful class I took in my entire education since it was nothing but things like figuring out monthly payments, financing rates, rate of return, investing and stocks, etc.

If highschool is supposed to prepare you to be an adult that plus home ec should be mandatory because I still meet people, one of whom literally works doe a bank,who do not understand that a 15 year home loan is cheaper than a 30 year home loan overall*.

*Yes I know this need not be strictly true but were operating in a general comparative sense here so swallow the lard on thsi one.

My high school had the equivalent of this class and since it wasn't mandatory less than 2% of the student body took it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

American education (and your school meals) sounds terrible.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Andrast posted:

American education (and their school meals) sound terrible.

it's extremely variable, american education is controlled at the local level, and there are over thirteen thousand school district agencies in the us

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

https://www.aeraforhome.com/

I always said there ought to be a MIME type for smells.

Stores, hotels, etc have been using these things for quite a while. It was inevitable that someone would try and market it to the home market.

Not sure what the home market is for making your home smell like the lobby of a holiday inn is though.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I took cooking in my senior year of high school because I wanted to know how to do more than boil water and brown hamburger.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

The thing I find weirdest is that you can only put one scent capsule in at a time. To make this interesting, it ought to have multiple capsules so you can say "have the house smelling like lemon verbena when I wake up and evergreen when I get home." And they don't have any of the interesting smells like baking bread or what the perfume industry calls "water".

We taught our kids to cook at home, like God intended. We didn't want them exposed to sloppy Joes in school, making us explain their existence at home.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Irradiation posted:

My high school had the equivalent of this class and since it wasn't mandatory less than 2% of the student body took it.

At least at my school they were "general" and not "advanced" so you were scored out of 4.0 instead of 5.0 and even if you got an A you'd take a hit in class rank. It's also one less AP class you could take.

Not that it matters but things like that mattered to you when you were in high school.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The thing I find weirdest is that you can only put one scent capsule in at a time. To make this interesting, it ought to have multiple capsules so you can say "have the house smelling like lemon verbena when I wake up and evergreen when I get home." And they don't have any of the interesting smells like baking bread or what the perfume industry calls "water".

We taught our kids to cook at home, like God intended. We didn't want them exposed to sloppy Joes in school, making us explain their existence at home.

Yeah but that ends up being the biggest issue. To make smells you need a decent amount of each smell chemical in some sort of reservoir, and then you need a wide variety of those chemicals to reliably replicate just, say, the common types of perfume and food.

The net result is that if you want some sort of scent-enabled internet you need like to have a fridge-sized device holding all the components in the right amounts and then some sort of constantly cleansed delivery tube to whatever atomizer device you'd place to spread the smells - and then you have to deal with refilling individual bits because it's going to get weird fast when common smell chemicals are running dry and your others aren't.

It might seriously be easier to just give people neural implants to directly simulate smells when you come down to it.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Andrast posted:

American education (and your school meals) sounds terrible.
Could be worse. Could be Japan or South Korea.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Say it ain't so!

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/re...rticle36202166/ posted:

Everyone loves a unicorn. These are the young and innovative startups with reported valuations or more than $1-billion (U.S.).

Think Uber, Airbnb and SpaceX – all highly valued companies fuelled by investor expectations that they'll be the next Google or Facebook.

But are these rare creatures really deserving of their mythical status?

Will Gornall, assistant professor of finance at the University of British Columbia's Sauder School of Business, doesn't think so.

According to a financial model developed by Dr. Gornall and Ilya Strebulaev of Stanford University, many so-called unicorns are overvalued.

Drawing from data contained in U.S. legal filings, Dr. Gornall found nearly half of the startups in their study (52 of 116) lose their unicorn status when their valuation is recalculated. The discrepancies vary, but the average company reports a valuation 48 per cent above its fair value, with common shares overvalued by 55 per cent, the researchers calculate.

Eleven companies are overvalued by more than 100 per cent, they conclude.

That overvaluation exists does not surprise Dr. Gornall, who has expertise in examining the complex deal structures behind early-stage companies. Miscalculations are made when current valuations fail to include additional perks not found in previously issued shares, so equating their prices significantly inflates valuations.

For instance, the researchers found 53 per cent of unicorns gave their most recent investors either a return guarantee in their initial public offerings, the ability to block IPOs that do not return most of their investment, or seniority over all other investors, among other important terms.

Still, Dr. Gornall admits, "I was surprised at the level of overvaluation and, moreover, how much it can vary between companies."

Dr. Gornall says the study does not suggest companies are deliberately misleading people. However, the findings do expose widespread confusion around the true value of startups – a particular problem for employees who are often paid partly in stock and options, yet have little clarity around what those options are worth.

The dilemma also extends to investors, he adds, many of whom "appear to lack an understanding of the complexities of venture capital deal structures."

The researchers believe better disclosure in venture capital-backed companies, not just unicorns, is required in the United States as well as Canada, where the federal government is looking to encourage more startup success stories.

More broadly, the study offers a lesson in the importance of paying attention.

"Whether you are talking venture capital financing, negotiating a real estate deal or getting a loan, you need to read the fine print and understand the contract," Dr. Gornall says.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Cicero posted:

Could be worse. Could be Japan or South Korea.

Obscene pressure for students to excel along with ridiculous social expectations, or chucking your kids in the pool and telling them to figure it out if they don't want to die.