Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Joementum posted:

Merkley endorses too. Gillibrand basically said she will Wednesday.

I wonder if any of the 2020 hopefuls won't sign on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Joementum posted:

So far, Sanders' plan has been endorsed by himself and three of the five Democratic Senators who identify as people of color.

I didn't count but is there an Elizabeth Warren joke in there?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Vox Nihili posted:

I wonder if any of the 2020 hopefuls won't sign on.

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/907299015695507456

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I can't wait to see the centrist rage when we demand that they move further left again after acceding to MFA.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

youre starting to strech it a lil thin there dave

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Now I maybe be a simple shitposter from the NEK, but I'm bettin' the two of them might have some sliiiiiight disagreements over the particulars.

booker literally has staffers working in bernie's office to help craft the bill lol

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Given Bernie's previous efforts to end pharmaceutical price gouging and Booker's recent attempt at cockblocking same, I'm thinking there is actually some ground for disagreement.

quote:

WASHINGTON, Feb. 28 – Sens. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), Cory Booker (D-N.J.) and Bob Casey (D-Penn.) introduced legislation Tuesday to lower the skyrocketing cost of prescription drugs by allowing Americans to import safe, low-cost medicine from Canada. Reps. Elijah E. Cummings (D-Md.) and Lloyd Doggett (D-Texas) introduced a companion bill in the House.

Both measures would authorize the secretary of Health and Human Services in two years to allow importation from other advanced countries.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

zegermans posted:

I would assume that the bernie bill would include some sort of price negotiation

This is the one I don't get, even if Bernie's plan has price negotiation, and even if that part of the plan makes it past congressional support (which is a big IF), big pharma is getting an additional 20 million customers right off the bat, and alot more further down the line. This should be a win for them.

Now the insurance companies on the other hand, your Aetna's, Cigna, IBX etc...they're the ones that are gonna fight this to the grave.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Doesn't MfA still have copays or something? I mean it's still much better than the status quo, but if so that's kind lame. Copays are sorta like sales taxes in the sense that they're nothing but a transparent attempt to shift more of the cost to lower income consumers. There's not really any excuse for having copays instead of just raising that money through progressive taxation.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Ytlaya posted:

Doesn't MfA still have copays or something?

There was a rumor that they were still in Bernie's bill, but his office got a lot of pushback over that in the last couple weeks. We'll find out Wednesday, I guess. :iiam:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ytlaya posted:

Doesn't MfA still have copays or something? I mean it's still much better than the status quo, but if so that's kind lame. Copays are sorta like sales taxes in the sense that they're nothing but a transparent attempt to shift more of the cost to lower income consumers. There's not really any excuse for having copays instead of just raising that money through progressive taxation.

I think the justification is that they want to make sure people have "skin in the game" and don't rack up unnecessary doctor visits. It's a thin one, of course

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

Most systems even single payer ones have some level of copay to keep the hypochondriacs from living at the hospital.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Hrm yes, I too don't remember when Booker voted to block Bernie's amendment to allow for less expensive Canadian drug imports under the transparently lame justification that they ~*weren't up to proper safety standards*~ because I have the memory of loving goldfish.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Joementum posted:

There was a rumor that they were still in Bernie's bill, but his office got a lot of pushback over that in the last couple weeks. We'll find out Wednesday, I guess. :iiam:

mfw im hype for a piece of legislation

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Hrm yes, I too don't remember when Booker voted to block Bernie's amendment to allow for less expensive Canadian drug imports under the transparently lame justification that they ~*weren't up to proper safety standards*~ because I have the memory of loving goldfish.

the transparent part is that there were just enough gop defections to make the amendment guaranteed to go down, the amendment was non-binding, and there was fairly clearly a deal done between gop and dems on it to trade votes for some thing that we'll never know about because that happens all the time during vote-a-ramas. the bernie re-importation bill came after the amendment

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I'm fine with reasonable co-pays, as long as it's a nominal $ figure and not a %. Most countries run it that way, I believe.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I suspect that the cost to the system to treat hypochondriacs is less than the cost to fix issues that could have been caught earlier if patients weren't discouraged due to copays, but I don't have any empirical evidence to that effect.

I'm sure I'll find something to be mad / disappointed about anyway because what's the fun of being on the left if you can't do that? :)

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

SKULL.GIF posted:

I think the justification is that they want to make sure people have "skin in the game" and don't rack up unnecessary doctor visits. It's a thin one, of course

I'm also fine with reasonably priced copays, although I'm probably an impotent centrist compared to most of the posters in this thread.

In reality, I think if we do end up with a MfA system that can actually pass congress, it will have to be a bare-bones plan closer to what the poor use for medicaid. Private insurers will still have a role to play in the market providing higher end coverage, and probably have an incentive for businesses to offer them to employees to get them off the medicare rolls. Probably some major tax subsidies.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

E
I'm dumb

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

My Medicaid copays were like $5 per doctor visit and $1 per prescription filled and that seems perfectly acceptable

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Joementum posted:

So far, Sanders' plan has been endorsed by himself and three of the five Democratic Senators who identify as people of color.
Goddamn racist Bernie Bros!!!!!

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

The Nastier Nate posted:

This is the one I don't get, even if Bernie's plan has price negotiation, and even if that part of the plan makes it past congressional support (which is a big IF), big pharma is getting an additional 20 million customers right off the bat, and alot more further down the line. This should be a win for them.

Now the insurance companies on the other hand, your Aetna's, Cigna, IBX etc...they're the ones that are gonna fight this to the grave.
The smart health companies know it's only a matter of time before they stop getting the sweet payday from insurance companies as the current system is unsustainable. Can't get paid if the insurance companies don't have money to pay them because no one can afford insurance.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Go away, Dewey! You don't want no part of this poo poo!

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Joementum posted:

I suspect that the cost to the system to treat hypochondriacs is less than the cost to fix issues that could have been caught earlier if patients weren't discouraged due to copays, but I don't have any empirical evidence to that effect.

I'm sure I'll find something to be mad / disappointed about anyway because what's the fun of being on the left if you can't do that? :)

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Vox Nihili posted:

Imagine being lazier than Donald J Trump.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Concerned Citizen posted:

the transparent part is that there were just enough gop defections to make the amendment guaranteed to go down, the amendment was non-binding, and there was fairly clearly a deal done between gop and dems on it to trade votes for some thing that we'll never know about because that happens all the time during vote-a-ramas. the bernie re-importation bill came after the amendment

no one gives a poo poo lanyard man

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Vox Nihili posted:

Actually it's exhausting as hell and Trump worked his rear end off, unlike Hillary. Genuinely sad!!!

Well Trump loved doing rallies and Hillary hated them.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The Nastier Nate posted:

private insurers already make money on administering medicare and medicaid plans--and they actually make higher profits in those markets than they do selling individual obamacare plans. Hence aetna's ceo saying a couple months ago that it's time to consider single-payer.

The difference between the two markets is that the government (feds in the case of medicare; states in the case of medicaid) controls provider & premium pricing for single-payer plans, as well as co-pays & deductibles.

I'm not sure whether bernie's M4A legislation includes private-insurance administration, but even if it doesn't then it's a handy legislative alternative as an "incrementalist" approach to M4A, which private insurers would likely support.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I'm imagining nothing

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Willa Rogers posted:

& premium pricing for single-payer plans

SKULL.GIF posted:

My Medicaid copays were like $5 per doctor visit and $1 per prescription filled and that seems perfectly acceptable

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

hillary's katrina

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Matt Zerella posted:

no one gives a poo poo lanyard man

look bucko, i worked hard to build this head canon and like hell am i gonna absorb any information that might contradict it

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/JStein_Vox/status/907298968643743745

Plus Jeff Merkley.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

why are all these dems co sponsoring bernie's bill, don't they know he's NOT EVEN A DEMOCRAT??!?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Plot twist: Dems unite behind Medicare for All, run on it in 2018, win a slim majority, somehow get it passed both houses, and browbeat Trump into signing it so he can "do healthcare."

I mean it's one of those really unlikely M. Night Shyamalan twists but it'd still be a twist so

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Concerned Citizen posted:

look bucko, i worked hard to build this head canon and like hell am i gonna absorb any information that might contradict it

Cory Booker is bad. Very, very bad. And a wordy reply about backroom dealing being "transparent" doesn't change that.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

why are all these dems co sponsoring bernie's bill, don't they know he's NOT EVEN A DEMOCRAT??!?

How can I believe this when you don't even include an authentication code?

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

yeah how many teeth does that gift horse have left anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Harrow posted:

Plot twist: Dems unite behind Medicare for All, run on it in 2018, win a slim majority, get it passed, and browbeat Trump into signing it so he can "do healthcare."

I mean it's one of those really unlikely M. Night Shyamalan twists but it'd still be a twist so

maybe we can convince trump it's the democratic repeal and replace plan

• Locked thread