Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tough to be a flat earther when you live in a port town so good on flat earthers for enjoying what Kansas has to offer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Like a bunch of conspiracy theories, flat earth is just a symptom of actual, clinical, measurable, schizophrenia that a doctor can diagnose and which is an illness.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Video title delivers

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

What excuse do they have for seeing the curvature of the earth when you're in flying in a plane? Or watching a boat disappear over the horizon?

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Cacator posted:

What excuse do they have for seeing the curvature of the earth when you're in flying in a plane?

Swamp gas

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Cacator posted:

What excuse do they have for seeing the curvature of the earth when you're in flying in a plane? Or watching a boat disappear over the horizon?

On the sinking ship, Rowbotham describes a mechanism by which the hull is hidden by the angular limits of perception - the ship will appear to intersect with the vanishing point and become lost to human perception as the hull's increasingly shallow path creates a tangent on which the hull is so close to the surface of the ocean that the two are indistinguishable. The ship's hull gets so close to the surface of the water as it recedes that they appear to merge together. Where bodies get so close together that they appear to merge is called the Vanishing Point. The Vanishing Point is created when the perspective lines are angled less than one minute of a degree. Hence, this effectively places the vanishing point a finite distance away from the observer.

Usually it is taught in art schools that the vanishing point is an infinite distance away from the observer, as so:

However, since man cannot perceive infinity due to human limitations, the perspective lines are modified and placed a finite distance away from the observer as so:

This finite distance to the vanishing point is what allows ships to shrink into horizon and disappear as their hulls intersect with the vanishing point from the bottom up. As the boat recedes into the distance its hull is gradually and perceptively appearing closer and closer to the surface of the sea. At a far off point the hull of the ship is so close to the sea's surface that it is impossible for the observer to tell ocean from hull.

While the sails of the ship may still be visible while the hull is perceptively merged, it's only a matter of time before it too shrinks into the vanishing point which rests on the surface of the sea and becomes indiscernible from the surface.

We know that this explanation is true because there are reports of half sunken ships restored by looking at them through telescopes. It has been found that the sinking ship effect effect is purely perceptual, that a good telescope with sufficient zoom will change the observer's perspective and bring the ship's hull back in full view. This is not possible if the ship were really behind a "hill of water." Hence, the effect which is usually thought to prove the earth as a globe really proves it to be a plane.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
You've all been conned by Big Orb

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I read that whole thing Dicky B and while I recognize them as sentences containing ideas related to each other, they dont make any goddamn sense.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Flat Earthers are funded by the Chinese because if American idiots can kill NASA then they will be the only game in town and will destroy us from their orbiting death platforms. Wake up sheeple.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Lurker Ant posted:

They want to be smarter than everyone else, because they are very very dumb

There's groups centered around mocking specifically flat earthers

For years

If you think too much about that it's really very depressing.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 11, 2017

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I have a feeling that if space travel was easily available and you could take these people up into space where they could see the earth with their own two eyes, they would still say the earth is flat

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
He has a new message:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

I have a feeling that if space travel was easily available and you could take these people up into space where they could see the earth with their own two eyes, they would still say the earth is flat

If they believe the horizon is a lie there is no amount of evidence they can experience to change their minds and honestly we should weaponize them against other alien species.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

He has a new message:

Your seed, OP. Dude wants your seed.

PS - What is in the trucks bed?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Burt Sexual posted:

Your seed, OP. Dude wants your seed.

PS - What is in the trucks bed?

I think a craftsmens level to prove the earth is flat?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Dicky B posted:

On the sinking ship, Rowbotham describes a mechanism by which the hull is hidden by the angular limits of perception - the ship will appear to intersect with the vanishing point and become lost to human perception as the hull's increasingly shallow path creates a tangent on which the hull is so close to the surface of the ocean that the two are indistinguishable. The ship's hull gets so close to the surface of the water as it recedes that they appear to merge together. Where bodies get so close together that they appear to merge is called the Vanishing Point. The Vanishing Point is created when the perspective lines are angled less than one minute of a degree. Hence, this effectively places the vanishing point a finite distance away from the observer.

Usually it is taught in art schools that the vanishing point is an infinite distance away from the observer, as so:

However, since man cannot perceive infinity due to human limitations, the perspective lines are modified and placed a finite distance away from the observer as so:

This finite distance to the vanishing point is what allows ships to shrink into horizon and disappear as their hulls intersect with the vanishing point from the bottom up. As the boat recedes into the distance its hull is gradually and perceptively appearing closer and closer to the surface of the sea. At a far off point the hull of the ship is so close to the sea's surface that it is impossible for the observer to tell ocean from hull.

While the sails of the ship may still be visible while the hull is perceptively merged, it's only a matter of time before it too shrinks into the vanishing point which rests on the surface of the sea and becomes indiscernible from the surface.

We know that this explanation is true because there are reports of half sunken ships restored by looking at them through telescopes. It has been found that the sinking ship effect effect is purely perceptual, that a good telescope with sufficient zoom will change the observer's perspective and bring the ship's hull back in full view. This is not possible if the ship were really behind a "hill of water." Hence, the effect which is usually thought to prove the earth as a globe really proves it to be a plane.

Well ya know unless you actually go on a ship and use a high powered optic on a clear day to actually see a ship at the limit of the curvature drop below it. Which you can do. Even at the lowest level of military service if you're broke.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Every day, a guy in my town drives one of his vehicles (covered in Flat Earth slogans) to the town square or somewhere else that's highly visible, parks it, and leaves it there. He has two Flat Earthmobiles, actually. And a house covered in Flat Earth slogans. He used to have props in his yard demonstrating Flat Earth theory but the city made him take them down.

I should probably talk to the dude but I dunno. I don't really wanna.

Still, there's something bugging me. I don't understand what he or other Flat Earthers want us all to do after accepting the Flat Earth theory?

At least with 9/11 conspiracies, there was an idea at the core of it that the war was illegitimate. With Flat Earth, let's say I go okay, the world is flat. Now what?

:iiam:

Is this in Denton TX? They did a video with the guy.

Edit:
Yep, thats him!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugq4owrsKI4

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
and another, more truncated interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnXIeZDuwGQ&t=51s

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I mean poo poo, people have known that the earth is a sphere well before the birth of Christ. It was a commonly accepted fact even during the middle ages. Hell, the story about Christopher Columbus proving the earth was round was kind of bullshit because everyone knew it was already. They didn't think he was going to fall off the side of the earth, they thought he would run out of supplies and starve before he got to his destination.

The dumbest thing about the flat earth conspiracy is not only how difficult and elaborate it is, but why in the world would a government try to trick everyone into thinking that the earth is the wrong shape? At least government conspiracies like 9/11 truthers, UFO coverups and the Kennedy Assassination have motives. Why would a shadowy Illuminati try to fool everyone into thinking the world is round? Shits and giggles?

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

Cacator posted:

"the window is curved" or some such nonsense

for every point you make they'll give you an ad hoc explanation. The one that seems to stump them the most are lunar eclipses. Some of them think the sun is some sort of spotlight, moving around the flat earth. This just doesn't make sense. One of them explains about a 'bulge' that clearly proves its true but really he's just a delusional crazy person

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
What if the earth isn't flat OR round?!? Honestly it seems kind of hilly where I am - the only possible explanation is that the world is a giant hill.

crusty
Apr 16, 2015

Crustacean

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

There's groups centered around mocking specifically flat earthers

So they have Specific Flativity and General Flativity?

Scary!
Oct 22, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gammatron 64 posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lemon
May 22, 2003

that's one thing I always wondered about any of this NWO stuff - Let's suppose that it is true and the entire history of the world is somehow controlled by some shadowy organization for nefarious purposes. Well then we're hosed and can't do anything about it, right? So what's the point of drawing attention to it?

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Lemon posted:

that's one thing I always wondered about any of this NWO stuff - Let's suppose that it is true and the entire history of the world is somehow controlled by some shadowy organization for nefarious purposes. Well then we're hosed and can't do anything about it, right? So what's the point of drawing attention to it?

"I WAS RIGHT!!!"

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Wicker Man posted:

"I WAS RIGHT!!!"

Yeah I guess - Now that I think about it the ones who are actively trying to call people to action also happen to be selling something. But it just seems like such an obviously self-defeating argument.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
My favorite conspiracy theory is lizard people and I absolutely want that poo poo to catch on and go mainstream

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lemon posted:

Also if they were capable of orchestrating such vast all-encompassing manipulations and cover-ups of the very fabric of reality and society to such a degree then they're obviously way more competent and intelligent than anyone else out there and quite frankly deserve it.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Lemon posted:

to amass the prepper militia to fight back against the UN troops that will be knocking on your doors to confiscate your guns

no one knows or talks about what the plan is beyond that

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Varg posted:

to amass the prepper militia to fight back against the UN troops that will be knocking on your doors to confiscate your guns

no one knows or talks about what the plan is beyond that

Vaccinate all white people where vaccination = islamic sterilization.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Every day, a guy in my town drives one of his vehicles (covered in Flat Earth slogans) to the town square or somewhere else that's highly visible, parks it, and leaves it there. He has two Flat Earthmobiles, actually. And a house covered in Flat Earth slogans. He used to have props in his yard demonstrating Flat Earth theory but the city made him take them down.

I should probably talk to the dude but I dunno. I don't really wanna.

Still, there's something bugging me. I don't understand what he or other Flat Earthers want us all to do after accepting the Flat Earth theory?

At least with 9/11 conspiracies, there was an idea at the core of it that the war was illegitimate. With Flat Earth, let's say I go okay, the world is flat. Now what?

:iiam:

Why do you live in my town.

Leave.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Shinjobi posted:

Leave.

Oh poo poo, we found the subject of the OP!

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Don't forget planes have to fly extra fast to get to Australia to maintain the illusion that the world is round. The whole air travel industry is in on it folks! Domestic flights could be three times faster but they don't tell you that!

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

General Dog posted:

Actually, in the bible Job correctly states that God "hangs the earth on nothing" (Job 26:7), where as the mentions of pillars are pretty unambiguously figurative.

Selectively choosing some parts of the Bible (and especially the Old Testament) as completely 100% literal, like "pi equals three," and other parts as obviously figurative and not meant to be taken at face value is a fun game.

He has a new message:

I couldn't be bothered to give two shits about Flat Earths or whatever, but I am definitely interested in anything that is 200 proofs.

ajrosales
Dec 19, 2003

It's a political maneuver by a group of "peudo-oppressed" people to gain traction so that they don't have to be dragged kicking and screaming into an ever-changing, global-economic, anti-fossil fuel, socially progressive brave new world. In short, they are terrified of anything that would make them have to respond in some way by adjusting. It's easier to exist than to think.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
"Man on the MooM... My rear end"

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What is a moom?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

BigBadSteve posted:

Dude, he's an obsessive irrational nutbag. Once you talk to him he'll probably rant at you every time he sees you.

I guess you could try saying hello, and as soon as he starts up on his pet disproven hypothesis, say "I don't want to talk about 'flat Earth', that is non-negotiable, but I'll talk about whatever else you want". However I fear this would result in him either repeatedly trying to sneakily change the subject to 'flat Earth', or assuming you to be one of the 'spherical earth conspiracists' who all deserve to die or something equally nasty.

If you accept his teachings, you must join him in spreading the word. If you reject his teachings, he probably hopes you will walk to the edge of the flat Earth and fall off.
This is what I'm concerned about.

Shinjobi posted:

Leave.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u4oXXL1a5A

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

BigBadSteve posted:

If you accept his teachings, you must join him in spreading the word. If you reject his teachings, he probably hopes you will walk to the edge of the flat Earth and fall off.

lol good luck climbing the 100 foot ice walls idiot :rolleyes:

even if you did dont forget the thousands of military personnel from every country in the world that will turn you away and remove your memory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

The funny thing is that there arent just flat earth people. There is a Concave Earth Society and a Hollow Earth Society alongside the Flat Earth Society.

• Locked thread