Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I remember people talking about "fuskers" in dpph lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

*fart*

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

no homegrown please

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

LinYutang posted:

generating javascript through Java string concatenation is extremely my poo poo

this, but via an xslt transform

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

redleader posted:

this, but via an xslt transform

this, but coldfusion

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Dude, there are some things you just don't talk about in public.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i have worked with json data source for about two weeks and my blood is boiling jesus

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

the data source in question is a steam of governmental financial reports for our customers, and the reporting "schema" within the span of 21 days consists of at least 81 distinct (from the processing perspective) variations

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Sep 11, 2017

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i have worked with json data source for about two weeks and my blood is boiling jesus

i feel your pain

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i feel your pain

i ended up writing a fairly steamy pile of poo poo in r (i know, i know) that i can probably improve a bit but gently caress me if the original source was made in good faith, or if json is something i would seriously ever consider for anything

motedek
Oct 9, 2012
i can't understand why anyone consuming data chooses to use a store that guarantees exactly nothing about what's in a record. projecting our collections (which were being used as de facto tables) into real tables was the only way to see all the nulls where different records used slightly different element names.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i ended up writing a fairly steamy pile of poo poo in r (i know, i know) that i can probably improve a bit but gently caress me if the original source was made in good faith, or if json is something i would seriously ever consider for anything

are you manually parsing a raw json string in loving r of all things? because then i don't think json is the problem here!!! (its u)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

HoboMan posted:

are you manually parsing a raw json string in loving r of all things? because then i don't think json is the problem here!!! (its u)
no, i wrote an automated json parser for a specific document type, because i was too lazy to do that in python. i loathe r probably a bit more than before as a consequence, but the brunt blame goes to json and the people generating these documents

to inspire this thread even more, the pipeline looks like this

1) go to mongo
2) run a lovely select query
3) save data to json
4) load it into r
5) do automated (3rd party) decomposition of the remaining micro-blobs*
6) select relevant parts from them, and the singular things extracted in mongo
7) shittily convert everything to 2d representation*
8) export the file to csv
9) skype it to relevant coworker

* parts im confident i can improve by a wide margin now that i have more experience with this whole fuckery

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

motedek posted:

i can't understand why anyone consuming data chooses to use a store that guarantees exactly nothing about what's in a record. projecting our collections (which were being used as de facto tables) into real tables was the only way to see all the nulls where different records used slightly different element names.

so much this, the thing i worked on was full of poo poo like

event1
-subevent
--date

event2
-date

event3
--date

event4
-subevent.date

and then the loving nulls everywhere that i ended up hunting down with a gigantic fuckoff lapply^2 statement so they don't gently caress something else (semi-pointlessly, which is even more infurating (let me tell you where i think fwrite author should go gently caress themselves))

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

...can you make that last step easier too?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

silvergoose posted:

...can you make that last step easier too?

yes, but it's literally one person except me that is interested in this, and they don't need it regularly so i'm too lazy to change working directory to google drive

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

the data source in question is a steam of governmental financial reports

:yosbutt::gas:

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

JewKiller 3000 posted:

one of our data providers changed the format of their files. last time i checked they were using the terrible oracle dba's favorite format: a sort-of csv but with pipes instead of commas, and no quoting/escaping rules. well i guess they ran into a situation with pipes in the data? so instead of using a well specified format, it's still kinda-csv, but with '~' (3 characters) as the comma and #@#@# as the newline :what:

the provider is a household name and major player in the financial industry :shepicide:

followup: some of the data files still use pipes. there is no indication which ones they are, you just have to look at them

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i mean the fact that you're getting garbage in garbage out isn't the fault of the serialization format you are ostensibly using

you do realize that people stringbash together "xml" that isn't actually valid xml, right? and then tell you to go gently caress yourself if you politely ask them to fix their poo poo

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
at least people don't make xml become invalid just by adding comments to their files

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

JewKiller 3000 posted:

followup: some of the data files still use pipes. there is no indication which ones they are, you just have to look at them
That's what you get for killing all those Jews. Karma, bitch.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Sapozhnik posted:

you do realize that people stringbash together "xml" that isn't actually valid xml, right? and then tell you to go gently caress yourself if you politely ask them to fix their poo poo

people are gonna be idiots no matter what, but at least with xml there's a spec and a schema (i hope) and automatic validators you can run the data through

John Big Booty posted:

That's what you get for killing all those Jews. Karma, bitch.

why does everyone always assume i kill jews? maybe i am the jew who does the killing of 3000?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

hey what's a good issue tracker these days

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

quiggy posted:

JIRA :getin:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

quiggy posted:

it's definitely not zenhub

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

JewKiller 3000 posted:

people are gonna be idiots no matter what, but at least with xml there's a spec and a schema (i hope) and automatic validators you can run the data through

why does everyone always assume i kill jews? maybe i am the jew who does the killing of 3000?

because a shark killer kills killer sharks.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

:gb2gbs:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

JewKiller 3000 posted:

Change names to 3000-Killer Jew?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

quiggy posted:

taiga seems okayish, if you're working for an actual business with money though use jira

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

JewKiller 3000 posted:

u so edgy

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

quiggy posted:

pivotal tracker, always and forever.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
obviously the one on github, I mean your project is open sores right? I mean whats the point of working on it if it isnt :rolleyes:

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

motedek posted:

lmao, ouch

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

quiggy posted:

a txt file of broken things that will never be fixed

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

quiggy posted:

literally anything except rally

gently caress rally

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

quiggy posted:

Jira software/service desk w/ confluence for documentation

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

motedek posted:

but mongo is web scale...

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

JewKiller 3000 posted:

Because it's an accusative-nominative compund noun. A goatfucker isn't a goat that fucks.

See also: edgelord.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

JewKiller 3000 posted:

that would be Jew Killer3000

you have been foiled by spacing (once again?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

JewKiller 3000 posted:

maybe i am the jew who does the killing of 3000?

hmmmmmm... where were you exactly 16 years ago?

• Locked thread