Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the IRS mostly investigates low hanging fruit because it gets increasingly more expensive to get all of the small time tax evaders. It’s probably still worthwhile. A guy who might have gotten away with an extra undeserved $500 deduction wont take it if they’ve just watched their friend get audited for the same thing.

Of maybe it’s like SimCity when you overfund your police force and the citizens get angry at all the cops nick-picking over poo poo. Maybe the simulation needs a little cheating or the whole thing falls apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
does the IRS not do random audits? or just not that many? the Canadian version definitely does a lot of them.

i got hit by one when i was still in university and was paying basically no taxes because every penny i earned from internships went right back into school fees. they still tried their hardest to crawl all the way up my rear end in a top hat, asking for stuff like rent receipt for every month from the last three years. wow yeah way to try to squeeze blood from a stone, guys.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Zo posted:

does the IRS not do random audits? or just not that many? the Canadian version definitely does a lot of them.

i got hit by one when i was still in university and was paying basically no taxes because every penny i earned from internships went right back into school fees. they still tried their hardest to crawl all the way up my rear end in a top hat, asking for stuff like rent receipt for every month from the last three years. wow yeah way to try to squeeze blood from a stone, guys.

I'm pretty sure they do. A friend of my wife got audited TWICE by IRS in a period of 7 years and he just works for a pharmaceutical company. According to him, just deductions for two kids and a mortgage. They were both short audits. He just provided birth certificate and mortgage statements. I don't know how he got so unlucky.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Zo posted:

Hmm yeah I guess they shouldn't audit people who report low incomes on their taxes

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Zo posted:

asking for stuff like rent receipt for every month from the last three years

Did you claim rent you paid as some kind of tax deduction? If so, why are you surprised that they wanted some kind of proof?

If not, why did the IRS give a poo poo about it?

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
IIRC if you're not making very much money, then there's a standard deduction you can take that is probably more than all the reasonable things you can deduct. For most people it's both GWM and GWL because it simplifies your tax preparation considerably. I don't think they ever investigate anybody taking the standard deduction, which means very few students/etc get audited.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
One of our managers (who is one of the worst BWM offenders in a large pool of BWM, but is able to survive the consequences because she has a large income) is retiring next month. It has set off a massive BWM chain-reaction that is costing everyone money.

Part I:

Debbie is retiring early (age 55) after 24 years of service. Pensions fully vest after 25 years of service. You also get full health benefits after 25 years.

That means she is taking a roughly 28% reduction in her pension compared to getting a full pension.

She could cut that early retirement penalty down to 6% if she retired next year (fully vested, but take an age penalty for early retirement).

She doesn't have to retire right now, but she is doing it because she turned 55 last month and that is the youngest you can be to apply for early retirement and collect your pension.

She currently lives paycheck-to-paycheck on a salary of $92k a year, never opened a 457(b) with us during her tenure, and does not have an IRA. That means that her pension is her only income in retirement.

She bought a house 4 years ago. I don't know how much her house cost, but she frequently says that she paid "over half a mil" for it and complains about all the repairs.

The average home price in our area is about $228k.

There is no way that she is going to survive going from paycheck-to-paycheck on $92k a year - with all medical expenses paid for - to roughly $36k a year and responsible for all medical costs.

Everyone is very mad at her because the benefits office sat her down and tried to tell her about the massive amount of money she was leaving on the table by not staying the extra year (22% higher pension payments and healthcare benefits - she has diabetes and sees a doctor twice a month for foot pain treatment) and she didn't want to hear about it. She also got approved for two weeks of vacation and then put in her two-week notice on the second day of her vacation.

Part II:

She has the right to quit whenever she wants and HR/the agency just has to deal with getting a major position filled in two weeks without the previous employee there to train the new hire. Life goes on.

A retirement party is planned for her on the Thursday she comes back from vacation. Because we are a government agency, no public or office funds or materials of any kind can be used for this party.

Several of the major agency heads kick in a few hundred dollars to start the pot and Debbie is consulted about what she wants to do for her party.

Debbie seems to think that this is an episode of My Super Sweet 16 that her coworkers are all paying for.

We plan for:

- Invites for 78 people from outside of the office (39 of Debbie's friends/family and a +1 for each)
- $525 in flowers for the tables and an arrangement to wreath a blown up picture of her.
- A $400 gift from everyone (a gift card to a nice restaurant and gift card to a spa)

The venue she picked has different levels of charges depending on how many people will be there. They schedule a certain amount of staff and cook a certain amount of food, etc.

We select the "100-150 package" based on the ~40 people who were committed to going and the 78 that Debbie was inviting. You actually get discounts for higher levels, so her massive guest list was somewhat of a benefit for the rest of us.

The package we chose had you pick 2 of 4 different meals:

- Vegetarian ($9 per plate)
- Chicken ($11 per plate)
- Fish ($15 per plate)
- Steak ($22 per plate)

We initially went with Vegetarian and Chicken and sent an email out. Debbie called into the office from her vacation to let us know that "Chicken is trashy" and that there were not going to be any vegetarian requests from her party members (the vast majority of people going.)

They changed it to Fish and Steak. They ended up with 32 plates of fish and 86 plates of steak.

To budget for this change, they got rid of the bartenders and changed to a cash bar.

Debbie also requested that we get upgraded plates and silverware because it would be "trashy" to have steaks on regular ceramic plates and "dollar store knives."

After they accounted for the initial pool of money from the department heads, they determined that it would cost $35 per person to attend. This shrank the number of committed people.

Then, 3 days before the party, Debbie lets us know that she is back from vacation and talked to her friends and family about coming. The 78 people that she said were all "Yes" was actually going to be 22.

The venue charges a $500 fee for having fewer than 75% of the attendees you promised (I'm guessing this is something for tipping the excess staff or to offset the potential loses from fewer people? It wasn't clear why this is the case and the office is in the process of trying to get them to waive it.)

They can't back out of the event now and people who had RSVP'd are trying to wiggle their way out of the commitment.

The party committee decided that if they can't get them to waive that $500 fee, that they would just split it up amongst the employees that attended (not ALL the guests).

Now, there is a chain-reaction of people who suddenly can't make it to the event and that potential $500 (plus $35 for food, cash bar, and $10 for contribution to her gift) is going to be distributed among fewer and fewer people, which is in-turn causing more and more people to try and get out of it.

The party is this Thursday night and they just sent out an email saying that anyone who RSVP'd at any point is considered attending for all costs.

Keep in mind: The people Debbie manages (AKA the party attendees) all make around $28k a year.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 11, 2017

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

One of our managers (who is one of the worst BWM offenders in a large pool of BWM, but is able to survive the consequences because she has a large income) is retiring next month. It has set off a massive BWM chain-reaction that is costing everyone money.

Part I:

Debbie is retiring early (age 55) after 24 years of service. Pensions fully vest after 25 years of service. You also get full health benefits after 25 years.

That means she is taking a roughly 28% reduction in her pension compared to getting a full pension.

She could cut that early retirement penalty down to 6% if she retired next year (fully vested, but take an age penalty for early retirement).

She doesn't have to retire right now, but she is doing it because she turned 55 last month and that is the youngest you can be to apply for early retirement and collect your pension.

She currently lives paycheck-to-paycheck on a salary of $92k a year, never opened a 457(b) with us during her tenure, and does not have an IRA. That means that her pension is her only income in retirement.

She bought a house 4 years ago. I don't know how much her house cost, but she frequently says that she paid "over half a mil" for it and complains about all the repairs.

There is no way that she is going to survive going from paycheck-to-paycheck on $92k a year - with all medical expenses paid for - to roughly $36k a year and responsible for all medical costs.

Everyone is very mad at her because the benefits office sat her down and tried to tell her about the massive amount of money she was leaving on the table by not staying the extra year (22% higher pension payments and healthcare benefits - she has diabetes and sees a doctor twice a month for foot pain treatment) and she didn't want to hear about it. She also got approved for two weeks of vacation and then put in her two-week notice on the second day of her vacation.

Part II:

She has the right to quit whenever she wants and HR/the agency just has to deal with getting a major position filled in two weeks without the previous employee there to train the new hire. Life goes on.

A retirement party is planned for her on the Thursday she comes back from vacation. Because we are a government agency, no public or office funds or materials of any kind can be used for this party.

Several of the major agency heads kick in a few hundred dollars to start the pot and Debbie is consulted about what she wants to do for her party.

Debbie seems to think that this is an episode of My Super Sweet 16 that her coworkers are all paying for.

We plan for:

- Invites for 78 people from outside of the office (39 of Debbie's friends/family and a +1 for each)
- $525 in flowers for the tables and an arrangement to wreath a blown up picture of her.
- A $400 gift from everyone (a gift card to a nice restaurant and gift card to a spa)

The venue she picked has different levels of charges depending on how many people will be there. They schedule a certain amount of staff and cook a certain amount of food, etc.

We select the "100-150 package" based on the ~40 people who were committed to going and the 78 that Debbie was inviting. You actually get discounts for higher levels, so her massive guest list was somewhat of a benefit for the rest of us.

- Fish ($15 per plate)
- Steak ($22 per plate)

We initially went with Vegetarian and Chicken and sent an email out. Debbie called into the office from her vacation to let us know that "Chicken is trashy" and that there were not going to be any vegetarian requests from her party members (the vast majority of people going.)

They changed it to Fish and Steak. They ended up with 32 plates of fish and 86 plates of steak.

To budget for this change, they got rid of the bartenders and changed to a cash bar.

Debbie also requested that we get upgraded plates and silverware because it would be "trashy" to have steaks on regular ceramic plates and "dollar store knives."

After they accounted for the initial pool of money from the department heads, they determined that it would cost $35 per person to attend. This shrank the number of committed people.

Then, 3 days before the party, Debbie lets us know that she is back from vacation and talked to her friends and family about coming. The 78 people that she said were all "Yes" was actually going to be 22.

The venue charges a $500 fee for having fewer than 75% of the attendees you promised (I'm guessing this is something for tipping the excess staff or to offset the potential loses from fewer people? It wasn't clear why this is the case and the office is in the process of trying to get them to waive it.)

They can't back out of the event now and people who had RSVP'd are trying to wiggle their way out of the commitment.

The party committee decided that if they can't get them to waive that $500 fee, that they would just split it up amongst the employees that attended (not ALL the guests).

Now, there is a chain-reaction of people who suddenly can't make it to the event and that potential $500 (plus $35 for food, cash bar, and $10 for contribution to her gift) is going to be distributed among fewer and fewer people, which is in-turn causing more and more people to try and get out of it.

The party is this Thursday night and they just sent out an email saying that anyone who RSVP'd at any point is considered attending for all costs.

Keep in mind: The people Debbie manages (AKA the party attendees) all make around $28k a year.

Look on the bright side: She's happily subsidizing your pension fund by taking out a fraction of what she's contributed due to sheer hubris/laziness. Good news for everyone else planning to draw from that pool down the road!

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

John Smith posted:

Offer him a bet. You call in the IRS to audit him, and if his deductions pass the mark, you pay him $500. Otherwise, he pays you $500. Third-party to hold the money. Tell him to put his money where his mouth is.

Haha, actually, that would be perfect. If he starts brow-beating me regarding my lack of information on the matter (experience and education, what does that even count for?) I'll put it out there. I have a feeling he'd button right up.

meat police posted:

lmbo. It's just a friendly wager Officer, no extortion here.

Edit: you should go to the IRS to get a nice finders fee though.

It wouldn't be worth it. He's not exactly rolling in it.

John Smith posted:

Upside if he declines, is that you can mock him relentlessly.

This, ultimately, would be sweeter than any feasible monetary award from the situation.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I'm real mad but this is also the grade A good good we all crave in this thread. I'm happy-hungry-mad.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That sounds pretty illegal.

I don't feel the least bit bad for her screwing up her pension after that.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That sounds pretty illegal.

I don't feel the least bit bad for her screwing up her pension after that.

They probably couldn't legally collect on that or anything, but most people could probably be shamed into paying.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Part I:

Part II:

We plan for:

- Fish ($15 per plate)
- Steak ($22 per plate)

Please. Don't leave us for another month ever again.

Also Debbie is dying. It's the only explanation. Her blood sugar level is 15 tablespoons.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

Everyone is very mad at her because the benefits office sat her down and tried to tell her about the massive amount of money she was leaving on the table by not staying the extra year (22% higher pension payments and healthcare benefits - she has diabetes and sees a doctor twice a month for foot pain treatment) and she didn't want to hear about it. 

I don't get it, why would anyone else care about this? I mean I would understand husband or kids being mad, but not soon-to-be former colleagues.

I also don't really understand how any step of this process was allowed to happen. I mean, I get that it all happens one little thing at a time, but at some point some boss has to step in and go, this is out of control and needs to be reigned in a bit. Especially if the employees are somehow obligated to pay for it, which is the most insane part.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

RVT posted:

I don't get it, why would anyone else care about this? I mean I would understand husband or kids being mad, but not soon-to-be former colleagues.

They aren't mad about her pension or healthcare costs (I assume that most don't know). They are mad because there is chaos down there because lots of people are trying to get Debbie's old job and she gave her 2-week notice one day into her 10-day vacation, so it is a madhouse down there.

Most of the Deputy Managers or Section Heads down there make around 35-40k. A promotion to a 92k salary (they won't make 92k because that was the result of 24 years of experience and % raises for Debbie, but they will still probably double their salary) is massive and there is no manager down there during it. It is basically a crab in a bucket situation where nobody wants to see anyone promoted for fear that their friends will be promoted over them and they will be on the "out clique."

HR wants to hire someone outside, but there is also a rebellion against that when someone from within "deserves" it.

The HR office has had dozens of complaints in the last week all against the people who are applying for Debbie's old job. There is some kind of weird entry-level administrative power struggle. A lot of these people have been making 28-30k for 15+ years and this is a very rare opening.

It is pretty much an environment of controlled chaos.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Part I:

Part II:

We plan for:

- Fish ($15 per plate)
- Steak ($22 per plate)

welcome back, leon!

she's gotta be leaving at least 1/4 mil on the table assuming she lives another 20 years. I wonder if she would have changed her mind if someone put it to her like "if you work one more year, you'd essentially be making $340k (salary+more pension)" or if she's just dead set on giving up all of that money for one year earlier of retirement.

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 11, 2017

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6zgoh5/33_in_bank_account_495_in_savings_with_72000_in/

quote:

I am currently living paycheck to paycheck trying to pay back loans and credit cards. I take home almost $3,900 a month living with no dependants but find myself constantly with no money. How can I and do I get myself to budget and salvage my credit score while starting to save money?
Here is a breakdown of my bills and other expenses per month:
$1085 Rent (just got a roommate so that will go down to 585)
$467 Student Loan 1
$210 Loan 4
$370 Student Loan 2
$140 Student Loan 3
$110 Car insurance
$140 Electric (soon to be halved)
$70 Internet (Soon to be halved)
$50 subscription services (audible, adobe, etc...)
$20 dollars renter's insurance
~ $150 Gas
The rest is spent on food & drink and and other miscellaneous. It probably comes close to $100 a week I spend on drinks and going out to eat not including groceries. I owe $2,000 to Amex which I just initiated a balance transfer to a 0% apr discover account with and I owe $1,200 to my other credit card which I have just been paying minimum on recently.
Student Loan 1 $21,766 @ 2.99%
Student Loan 2 $15,733 @ 6.00%
Student Loan 3 $37,461 @ ~4.3% (collection of sub & unsub stafford loans)
Loan 4 $5,276 @ 14.69%
Discover balance transfer $2,300 @ 0% (for first 18 months)
Credit Card $1,313
I got the Amex Platinum card not long ago and stupidly treated it like it was free money. One of those loans is a 5,000 dollar personal loan which was used to pay off amex a few months ago. I have a tendency to spend beyond my means and I have been doing so for so long I do not know how to get this under control. I have made questionable purchases including a $3,000 drone (which I am now trying to sell).

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I'm glad no one is going to her party, she sounds like a shithead. Also your coworkers are morons for giving her so much say over the party.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Good news is that with some discipline they're in a decent place to make some inroads on all the debt - after the roommate and whatnot they'll have about $1200/mo to throw at debt assuming they can get their spending under control.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

They are really trying to up the numbers and collect.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

ohgodwhat posted:

Hmm yeah I guess they shouldn't audit people who report low incomes on their taxes

lmao look at how dumb you are

TheQuietWilds posted:

IIRC if you're not making very much money, then there's a standard deduction you can take that is probably more than all the reasonable things you can deduct. For most people it's both GWM and GWL because it simplifies your tax preparation considerably. I don't think they ever investigate anybody taking the standard deduction, which means very few students/etc get audited.

yeah i think the Canadian tax agency is just really bored and overstaffed compared to the IRS

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Lol a retirement party is highly important and confidential.

gently caress secretaries and their constant email spam and inability to prioritize poo poo or write subject lines or address properly or put important poo poo inline rather than as an attachment. Also their lovely signatures with weird graphics, fonts, colors and sizes.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
If your emails have an image background, I'm calling the Sea Patrol on you.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Part I:

Part II:

We plan for:

- Fish ($15 per plate)
- Steak ($22 per plate)

I need a cigarette after that.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
How is a diabetic that lives paycheck to paycheck going to afford insurance from 55 to 65 or whenever she gets Medicare?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

We had a lot of terrible people retire in my government office this year and I'm now so glad that they just up and left without even two weeks notice. They were all Debbies. The office only had time to order a pizza and cake for the boardroom. It was miserable but blessedly short.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My former coworkers got an amazing tres leches cake at a local Mexican bakery and BBQ for when I left. Totally unexpected and it made me feel real good. It’s cool to be liked around the office.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
new title :discourse:

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I'm ~Rebbecca with 2 B's, please rename me mods.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Panfilo posted:

How is a diabetic that lives paycheck to paycheck going to afford insurance from 55 to 65 or whenever she gets Medicare?

Debbie gonna die.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Wow, that is some bullshit. Gifts don't flow upward. Debbie makes $92k year; I don't care if her job is to fish turds out of the toilet with her bare hands, she makes 3x the average salary of the people being coerced into pitching in for her ridiculous party, that is upward. Retirement parties funded by work are for work people, not to be 2/3 family and friends.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Debbie, meet guillotine.

Guillotine, Debbie.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

:thermidor:

Chicken might be trashy, but eating the rich will never be.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Xenocides posted:

Debbie gonna die.

I didn't want to say this first, but yeah. Already with the feet problems, this is bad luck for her.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

GoutPatrol posted:

I didn't want to say this first, but yeah. Already with the feet problems, this is bad luck for her.

Oh, I was assuming Debbie had a terminal diagnosis and wanted to get out asap. :ohdear:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
We’re going to get some M. Night Shyamalan twist and Leon is either Debbie or Rebbecca.

So sorry about your toes and/or first name.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
With the money she makes, why didn't Debbie pay for her own drat retirement party? Management heads kicks in some money and Debbie can supplement it with whatever she wants.

The last two retirement parties I've been to involved the retiree's spouse organizing the event. They were a lot of fun and paid for by the couple budgeting the cost and planning ahead.

If Debbie thinks home repairs are expensive just wait till she sees her COBRA costs!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Virigoth posted:

I'm ~Rebbecca with 2 B's, please rename me mods.

She's been working here for over 2 years and I literally never noticed this until now.

I logged into my outlook web portal to double-check her email address and confirm that was how it is spelled. Google apparently says that it is a legitimate, but less popular, spelling of the name from the 1930's.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Panfilo posted:

If Debbie thinks home repairs are expensive just wait till she sees her COBRA costs!

The little G. I. Joe dolls?

(Both of the main characters in Frisky Dingo, Xander and Killface, are delightlfully BWM. One of many reasons the show is one of my favorites of all time).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

#BogWitch update:

Growing garlic to make tinctures with "anti-tumor, anti-anxiety, and anti-moodswing properties."

How much for 8 oz of garlic and mushroom water?

Woops, she actually has 17 of these sold in 4 days. I thought this was the GWM thread.