Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Jurgan posted:

Even if her book were good, I can see an argument that Democrats don't want to be tied to her. She lost, so the party as a whole needs to move on. All the potential leaders of the Democrats are so old. Hoping another Obama type comes out of nowhere in a couple years. There are a few interesting possibilities.

Is there a very subtle edit I'm not seeing?

I LOVE DEATH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

moebius2778 posted:

"What difference - at this point, what difference does it make?"

the excerpts in question are full pages, not blurbs, actually, thanks for bothering to find out

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Captain_Maclaine posted:

It's more that a surprising number of former Clinton supporters and staffers have been eye-rolling her new book and making comments to the tune of "Really? Stop blaming everyone else and move on, this isn't doing anyone any good you idiot."

And then a non-significant number of current supporters are acting like none of it is on her and are astroturfing a 2020 run :barf:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
What? Who's trying to get Hillary another go at POTUS? They're insane.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Has Hillaryis44 given up?

John Henry Miller
Sep 11, 2017

by Smythe

Erenthal posted:

Has Hillaryis44 given up?

Hillaryis44 went overwhelmingly for Trump. Crooked Hillary would have at least respected the office even if her policies would have been terrible. But when a better kind of politician came along, they joined the winning team.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Zanzibar Ham posted:

>enters Verrit code: 69420

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I know part of being a conservative means having an enormous persecution complex, but it amazes me how consistently Branco displays that front and center in nearly every single cartoon.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

She wouldn't survive the primary. I don't even know who will run, but it doesn't really matter since "Well, I didn't lose to Donald Trump." is pretty much the ultimate attack.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Starving Wolf posted:

...of course.

Branco continues to self own.

"Some of Trump's supporters are racist, misogynist, hateful bigots. I call them 'the deplorables'."
Branco: "HOW DARE SHE CALL ME DEPLORABLE!!!???"
"These new Klingons will be racists isolationists obsessed with racial purity."
Branco: "HOW DARE THEY CALL ME A KLINGON??!!??"

I mean...come on.

TVs Patrick Duffy
Dec 12, 2006
Pick something difficult. You know, hard to mock or whatever.
Fulcrum, please pick up the white courtesy phone. Fulcrum, white courtesy phone.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

This is very good. It lacks laughing terrorists, but that also feels too crude.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Duke Igthorn posted:

Branco continues to self own.

"Some of Trump's supporters are racist, misogynist, hateful bigots. I call them 'the deplorables'."
Branco: "HOW DARE SHE CALL ME DEPLORABLE!!!???"
"These new Klingons will be racists isolationists obsessed with racial purity."
Branco: "HOW DARE THEY CALL ME A KLINGON??!!??"

I mean...come on.

A few years back when we held parliament elections in Sweden, the far right-wing nationalistic party the Sweden Democrats got in for the first time. As usual, before the parliament opens there's a service at a nearby church for the new parliament, the royal family and other dignitaries. The priest held a very general sermon about kindness to others and the need to fight racism and hatred. The delegation from the Sweden Democrats got up and walked out in protest.

Erenthal fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 11, 2017

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Erenthal posted:

A few years back when we held parliament elections in Sweden, the far right-wing nationalistic party the Sweden Democrats got in for the first time. As usual, before the parliament opens there's a service at a nearby church for the new parliament, the royal family and other dignitaries. The priest held a very general sermon about kindness to others and the need to fight racism and hatred. The delegation from the Sweden Democrats got up and walked out in protest.

You see, Democrats are the actual far-right racists, checkmate Libtards :smugbert:

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015
I went looking for the worst of the worst. I figured Montgomery Alabama in the early 1960s would be the easiest place to find it. Turns out that in my semi random sample I didn't see anything in the editorial comics about the civil rights movement. There was however plenty of actual news coverage on the subject so it was clearly on everybody's mind. I would also like to thank the 1960s era Montgomery Advertiser for having a consistent format. The editorial cartoon stayed on page four for at least five years, that's not really relevant to anything but it did make it a lot easier to search.

This is from the Emancipator, an Alabama newspaper from the late 1910s dealing with civil rights. They didn't have much in the way of editorial comics but if your looking for a good source for Civil rights history in the 1910s it's a great place to start. The above comic was from Saturday Aug 9 1919

Montgomery Advertiser May 14 1957 Nonsense it's the year after an election year.

Montgomery Advertiser May 9 1957

Montgomery Advertiser 1959

Montgomery Advertiser Jan 7 1962 I've seen this theme a lot, it's probably a goto for lazy artist day.

Montgomery Advertiser Aug 13 1960 I really like the artistic style of animals from this era.

Montgomery Advertiser Apr 4 1959 Over a year before the 1960 election.

Montgomery Advertiser Oct 17 1959 Still over a year from the election. Also I hope you guys like Nixon.

Montgomery Advertiser Aug 21 1960 I always forget that Nixon was relevant before 1968

Montgomery Advertiser Aug 15 1960

Montgomery Advertiser Apr 12 1961 This was a year before he gave his "won't have Nixon to kick around" speech. Apparently he was something of a nuisance.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Nonsense, this is an election year!

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Time to reinstall Deus Ex again.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Hey I have a weird question. I check this thread on and off and a while back I remember a running gag here was that a specific GOP cartoonist (Branco, maybe?) would never draw Trump. There was a countdown since the last time he had drawn Trump and for a political cartoonist it seemed like a long time. Did that guy ever eventually draw Trump? What did it look like?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Superrodan posted:

Hey I have a weird question. I check this thread on and off and a while back I remember a running gag here was that a specific GOP cartoonist (Branco, maybe?) would never draw Trump. There was a countdown since the last time he had drawn Trump and for a political cartoonist it seemed like a long time. Did that guy ever eventually draw Trump? What did it look like?

It was Ramirez, and yes, and as grotesque as every caricature he draws

He's a Never-Trump GOP type and generally reacts to Trump with denial or by misdirecting toward a Democrat he hates more

e:

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Most of them are no-name Twitter clowns, but a few of those Twitter clowns also have jobs in the media or politics

Peter Daou has been particularly active lately

loquacius fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 11, 2017

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Superrodan posted:

Here's the make Ramirez draw trump petition on change.org, here's the cartoon he finally drew. It took him 89 days.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The subject also reminds me of how, some time close to election day, Tinsley made a cartoon along the lines of "heh, us editorial cartoonists sure are going to miss this election season, after all, Trump and Hillary gave us so much material" when you had to go back literally months to find so much as a mention of Trump in Mallard Fillmore.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Branco just can't seem to let his hatred of Obama go. It's been months, Obama is out of the spotlight aside from some odd comments, yet he's still making OBUMMER!!!!! cartoons.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

OldMemes posted:

Branco just can't seem to let his hatred of Obama go. It's been months, Obama is out of the spotlight aside from some odd comments, yet he's still making OBUMMER!!!!! cartoons.

Hey man, I wouldn't forgive a Communist Muslim Atheist Kenyan who wrecked America either. You know, if one existed.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Obama's still responsible for everything, don't forget the Deep State.

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left

OldMemes posted:

The Right Wing's identity and sole political motivation for the last eight years has been gently caress Obama. They never had anything else. Now that he's gone and they're stuck with an increasingly indefensible president, all they can do is vacillate between BUT HER EMAILS and THIS IS ALL OBAMA'S FAULT SOMEHOW

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Just look at the nefarious poo poo Obama's getting into these days

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/09/politics/obama-high-school-visit/index.html

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on Theresa May and the European Union withdrawal bill – Theresa May appears likely to be forced into an early tactical retreat over theEuropean Union withdrawal bill, as Conservative MPs from both sides of the referendum divide flex their muscles"

Telegraph:

Tony Blair defends call for EU migration curbs; iPhone X: Apple’s latest iPhone name leaks ahead of official release

Independent:

Times:

Evening Standard:

Jeremy Corbyn: Single market membership 'open for discussion'; Bake Off: Paul Hollywood in Nazi outfit apology

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: Weathervane alert! :siren:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Note this would have been equally intelligible without the arrow but nooo Branco just can't help himself.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

So is Branco the worst in the thread now? Garrison seems just a bit mental whereas Branco is pure vile.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Flipswitch posted:

So is Branco the worst in the thread now? Garrison seems just a bit mental whereas Branco is pure vile.

Branco is definitely the dumbest and least competent

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Flipswitch posted:

Yeah it was a close race during the Obama years but now that all the regulars feel empowered to let their true selves show it seems like Branco truly is the worst

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Branco strikes the "perfect" balance between ugly art and reprehensible opinions.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Internet Kraken posted:

Branco strikes the "perfect" balance between ugly art and reprehensible opinions.

And knuckle-dragging stupidity.

Although McCoy the Lesser is pretty close in all three categories.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think the worse McCoy (I can never keep their names straight) was worse in the pre-Trump world and Branco surpassing him so cleanly is a true come from behind victory in the race to the bottom

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

IndustrialApe posted:

The thing is that he's basically a morning-zoo DJ/shockjock and those thrive on controversy.
So there's also the "be offensive, but not too much" needle he's threading (and failing as of late) for that income.
He was trying to get a deal with Disney. So the proper amount of controversy would've been "none".
Disney and other partners have dropped him for his offensive behavior; he's not a shock jock, he's a children's entertainer.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Thanks for sharing the Ramirez info, all.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Stultus Maximus posted:

And knuckle-dragging stupidity.

Although McCoy the Lesser is pretty close in all three categories.

Don't forget Lester.

I mean, I try to, but being that I cannot actually succeed in forgetting him, I feel like he deserves to be in the conversation of being across-the-board terrible.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

OldMemes posted:

I have my own theory on Branco. Y'know his caricature of Obama? How his eyes are usually closed, and how he always looks smug and calm? Well, I'm pretty sure that Branco, at some point during the 2008 election or the immediate aftermath, saw this photo of Obama...

... And it broke his brain to the point where he became a political cartoonist specifically to attack that image. The image of a kinda-condescending-looking black guy haunted Branco's waking world. He just couldn't live in a reality where something like that could ever happen. His caricature of Obama is supposed to inspire the same sort of rage and offense that he felt when he saw this image. His cartoons were never about Obama's actual policies or anything like that, they all boiled down to Smug-Obama being a stand-in for everything wrong with the world.

I'm pretty sure that most of his career as a political cartoonist has been based off of an extreme emotional reaction to a single image of Obama that looks kinda like he's looking down on you. Of course, it will forever remain a mystery as to why Branco had that reaction. Truly, one for the ages.

(it's because he's black)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Know your Hate groups.

Technowolf fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 12, 2017

• Locked thread