Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

Southern Heel posted:

Previous owners for my place have done this and done a good job most of the places but there are still areas where they haven't sanded all the paint off in the very edges and corners. Do I need to strip the whole area of wax and sand it then recoat, or can I patch/iterate on areas as I find them?

Just sand right over it. If the previous renters used an excessive amount of wax, you can put the drawer out in the sun or hit it with a hair dryer and rub it down with a towel first. My grandma always just rubbed sticky drawers with a crumpled up piece of wax paper, since it only takes a miniscule residue to work.
Wooden slides will never glide like modern ones though, they have a "solid" and grabby feeling to them. When properly cared for, they're satisfying to use, and a little reminder of the sort of craftsmanship that used to go into building a home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Also please for the love of god don't put contact paper directly on the bare wood inside. Paint if you must, but adhesive never fully gets out.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Powered Descent posted:

:wtc:

$210K for that palace? Are property values that bad in Racine? A bland rectangular drywall crackerbox on the cheap side of a far-west suburb of Chicago goes for about $250K-ish at an absolute minimum.

If there's one thing I have learned from ogling MCM houses, it's that properties in small-to-mid-sized cities in the Midwest is [i]cheap/i]. And a lot of MCM houses happen to built in those cities. Something to keep in mind is that while these houses are gorgeous and may be priceless to us design nerds, to an average buyer/realtor they are just a house built in the 40s-60s with the requisite baggage of a house built in that era. The one above has updated appliances and has clearly been well-taken care of (and it did go $10k over its original asking price) but it will require more upkeep than a newer house.

Not that that would dissuade me from purchasing one, of course.

This stunning home (architect unnamed) in Grandville, MI was offered for $159k but sold for $185k.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
Also, weren't there also a lot of issues with construction on early MCM? I seem to recall that when they were first introduced, builders didn't really have a lot of experience and thus there were a lot of roof leaks, foundation issues, etc. that cropped up.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

vonnegutt posted:

Also, weren't there also a lot of issues with construction on early MCM? I seem to recall that when they were first introduced, builders didn't really have a lot of experience and thus there were a lot of roof leaks, foundation issues, etc. that cropped up.

Depends on the builder. Houses from that era, MCM or no, vary widely in quality. The main issue was really builders putting houses up in climates that didn't suit them - Eichler built just three houses in the eastern US since his houses are only really liveable in California weather. All the windows and open space = hard to heat/cool, and the low-slung roofs + snow had mixed results. The house in Wisconsin I posted was clearly designed by a man who knew what climate he was dealing with. The typical modernist window wall is conspicuously absent and he included a lot of thermal mass (stone), divided his open floor plan up into more heatable spaces and put the house on three split levels with the bedrooms on top (a concession to more traditional northern home design) so they take in the most warmth. The Michigan glass house might be more troublesome, and I don't even want to know the heating bill for that pseudo-Bauhaus house in Minneapolis with the ultra-high ceiling in the living area.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Powered Descent posted:

:wtc:

$210K for that palace?

quote:

Racine
I answered your question for you.

Sure, it's one of the most affordable cities in Wisconsin(which is impressive in itself, since Wisconsin has the usual cheap midwest property values going on), but that's because it's economically depressed. It's also a bit too far from Milwaukee to be a proper suburb, and too far from anything else interesting to draw outside interest.

Youth Decay posted:

If there's one thing I have learned from ogling MCM houses, it's that properties in small-to-mid-sized cities in the Midwest is cheap.
But mostly this.

It's caused quite a bit of sticker shock when discussing Chicago Burb rent and/or property costs with relatives from small town Michigan, let me tell you. ("$1000/mo for a one bedroom apartment and you're not even in the city? What?? Have you considered buying a-wait, buying a house costs how much?" Meanwhile Cousin Jimmyjoebob bought a perfectly nice & well-updated 3br house for maybe $100k, if that.)

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Partner and I decided to go look at some display homes today.

After about 4th or 5th similarly drab modern 4x2 in a row we came across this weird looking thing with weird rustic/industrial looking poo poo all over the frontage.

I remarked that it looked a bit pretentious. But then we got inside..

N no

:gonk:

The whole house was outfitted in this godawful steampunk poo poo, oversized filament globes and all. Perfect for someone who always wanted to live in a basement hipster bar...

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Hendrick's gin and Baileys? That's some low effort hipster.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
It's pretty clear some yuppy real estate idiot went to a few hipster cafes and small bars and decided they got what the younger generation was all about.

Result: Gross AF

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

tag yourself i'm the pressure valve on the light fixture

if that measured line voltage that would be sort of cool actually

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
"Hrm yep, still 240"

*Keeps walking*

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Don Dongington posted:

"Hrm yep, still 240"

*Keeps walking*

i mean it's slightly less stupid than having a gauge sit at zero (presuming you can't set it to 69 somehow)

not much, though

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Could maybe fit a tyre valve and pressurise the pipe with a bike pump

Bonus points if it randomly fires red hot filament globes at you while chilling on the couch.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Did some digging today, and it turns out there is in fact a slate pathway the whole way to the Portal To Hell in my side yard.

I have not unearthed any stones with runes on them, so I think I am safe for now.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Did some digging today, and it turns out there is in fact a slate pathway the whole way to the Portal To Hell in my side yard.

I have not unearthed any stones with runes on them, so I think I am safe for now.

I wonder what happened between the owner that went to all this work and expense, and the owner you bought from who didn't even mention a pond? This must have been a huge project, and then it was just allowed to disappear. :(

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Facebook Aunt posted:

I wonder what happened between the owner that went to all this work and expense, and the owner you bought from who didn't even mention a pond? This must have been a huge project, and then it was just allowed to disappear. :(

According to my neighbor, the couple who originally owned the house starting in 1925-ish passed it on to their son, who lived here until he sold it in early 2002. That was to the narcoleptic contractor who flipped it in 2003 to the owners just before us, and we bought it in 2013. The son of the original owners was a bit of a tree-lover, it would seem, and is the reason we have so many Japanese maples (and according to my arborist, a few trees that are somewhat unusual for the area) mixed in with the pines. He also let it grow somewhat wild -- likely because he was a photographer "for some big newspaper" ad traveled often -- and I suspect that it was during his ownership that the area became completely overgrown. I'm not kidding: when we first saw the house, in the middle of winter, the pond area was completely covered up even though all of the vegetation was dormant. It was only after I had a landscaper for a spring cleanup one year that we found the ring of stones, and even then it wasn't immediately obvious it was filled mostly with water.

Honestly, it makes me hopeful. There is basically zero wear on this structure, and the entire house was constructed similarly. Granted, when it comes time to tear out the sidewalks (which finally are heaving and drooping due to the trees out front) it will be a huge undertaking and their replacement will never be as good as the originals, but at least I can count on the house being fairly sound unless one of the ginormous spruce trees falls on it.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Now some of you may jump to conclusions, but I really want you to give this one a chance because I think it has potential. Especially since it's an HDLC property, meaning the building cannot be torn down without preserving the historically significant exterior.

http://www.latter-blum.com/residential-for-sale/la/new-orleans/70115/315-eleonore-street__3401235

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Wow, we actually found a property that can compete with London prices.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Now some of you may jump to conclusions, but I really want you to give this one a chance because I think it has potential. Especially since it's an HDLC property, meaning the building cannot be torn down without preserving the historically significant exterior.

http://www.latter-blum.com/residential-for-sale/la/new-orleans/70115/315-eleonore-street__3401235

$350,000 seems a little high for an uninhabitable shack that can't be torn down.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Facebook Aunt posted:

$350,000 seems a little high for an uninhabitable shack that can't be torn down.

What happens is an offshore investor who doesn't understand local zoning buys it assuming a small bribe will get things going. When it doesn't they get very mad and end up having to pay a larger bribe.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

Oh but it is inhabitable! In fact a totally not mentally ill person lives there currently. The piece of paper you can see on the front door is a note that says "[RESIDENT (WHO IS THE SON OF THE OWNER THAT IS TRYING TO SELL THE HOUSE)] IS NOT MOVING OUT, HE IS JUST ON VACATION! THIS HOUSE IS NOT FOR SALE!"

So you might not need to tear it down...the current resident could very well torch the place after you buy it. But he would probably need to uh...clean out the crawl space beforehand.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Style: Shot Gun

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Why...is there a can on petrol/gasoline in the kitchen within easy reach of that microwave table thing?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Why...is there a can on petrol/gasoline in the kitchen within easy reach of that microwave table thing?

It's for the lawnmower stored in the bedroom, of course.

I'm the 2x4 wedged behind the terlet tank to keep it from falling off its hole while the resident cranks it on the shitter

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Actually I'm this whole room

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

In all seriousness they probably will get like $200,000 or maybe $250,000 for it from a developer who will do something like this with it.

Before:

After:

"Preserving" the front elevation and historical character while totally transforming the building into something they can sell for $600,000-$800,000.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I'm not crazy about New Orleans.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I'm not crazy about New Orleans.

Let me introduce you to the scourge of Terry Tedesco

http://www.terrytedesco.com/PhotoGallery.html

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Let me introduce you to the scourge of Terry Tedesco

http://www.terrytedesco.com/PhotoGallery.html

Columns, columns as far as the eye can see.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I like those exteriors lol

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

peanut posted:

I like those exteriors lol

They're soulless simulacra of classic New Orleans architecture. Better than little boxes and trash houses, I guess. But they go up insanely fast (builder grade lol) and have none of the beautiful features of the houses around them. Like if Disney imagineers were allowed to design houses in the city. And some of them are the ugliest rectangular pieces of bland crap you've ever seen.

Like this one:

What the gently caress. Gross.

And these, twin shits:

Look at this nonsense the guy put on a corner lot on St. Charles, one of the city's classic old thoroughfares, streetcar line running down it, dotted with antebellum mansions, Victorian colors, and Greek revival balconies. Tore down a dumb old weirdo store, had a great corner double lot, and he did this poo poo. Look at it.

Yes that is two houses. Each listed for $1.2 million or so. Eat poo poo and die Tedesco.

And these are the ones that he is putting money into because they are in desirable neighborhoods. Do you like beige and white and grey and granite and simple molding and light fixtures from Home Depot? You'll love his interiors. I hate this guy!

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Maybe I've just been ruined by McMansion Hell but I don't find those that offensive? At least the first few you posted. Like at least dude is trying to get the houses to blend in with the neighborhood even if he's doing a bad job of it. Better than some of the postmodern crap like this

or this

or loving THIS

do you think it's jealous of the house next to it

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Uh, you don't want a hell portal without runestones, dude. This is a structural problem and if it's not fixed properly, local spacetime could collapse. You can already see it sagging in the middle there.

They're not that expensive to have done right, but you definitely don't want to cheap out and get some cowboy conjurer.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 12, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Youth Decay posted:

postmodern crap like this

That's pretty similar to my house, huh.

*braces self*

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

AlphaDog posted:

Uh, you don't want a hell portal without runestones, dude. This is a structural problem and if it's not fixed properly, local spacetime could collapse. You can already see it sagging in the middle there.

They're not that expensive to have done right, but you definitely don't want to cheap out and get some cowboy conjurer.

It's cool, I said the words in the book in the baseme-- wait, no, I hear shrieking. Goddamnit.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Subjunctive posted:

That's pretty similar to my house, huh.

*braces self*

Apart from looking like it's 0.1mm from your neighbors gutter I have no complaints, if you want soulless but well insulated box I'll post a pic of mine later.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

cakesmith handyman posted:

Apart from looking like it's 0.1mm from your neighbors gutter I have no complaints, if you want soulless but well insulated box I'll post a pic of mine later.

Yeah, there's about 2 feet between the houses, and the roofs would be about 6" apart if they weren't offset in height. Same guy owned my place and the houses on both sides when he tore down two and built a mirror image pair, so at least he wouldn't get fought on a variance request.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

So if anything ever goes wrong structurally in any of those three houses, you're going to have to tear the wall down from the inside?

Jesus. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near those strictly from a fire code standpoint. If one goes up the whole block will.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

There's room between the two twinned ones to do work. Probably we'd have to demo from the inside, yeah. I'm not too worried about it, it's 7 years old and well-built.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Properties in Japan usually have a 50cm minimum setback (and minimum 2 meters from the center of the road to the house wall for long-distance visibility). That gives you at least 1 meter between houses to put up netted scaffolding for noise and dust. First, they take the roof tiles off by hand. Then they bring the excavator with the bigass scissors and usually go in from the road side and knock down enough to park inside. After that, all you need is space to park the dump truck, and if you're lucky, space to sort metal from concrete from wood.