Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Keyper will be at Essen. Don't know if he's doing pre-orders, better check the Keyper BGG page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Selecta84 posted:

Care to post a list?

ATM mine looks like this:

Codenames Duet
Tash Kalar Expansion
Indian Summer
Noria
Fields of Arle Expansion
Marco Polo Expansion
Nusfjord
Keyper (that one should be at Essen, right?)

Keyper will be at Essen, and if you're really quick on the Thursday you might be able to get a Character Edition - they have a few left over.

My must-haves are Barenpark, Not Alone: Exploration and Pocket Mars. I also have pre-orders for Altiplano, Samhain, possibly Card City XL if I can get a collection arranged, and a couple of small games from Japon Brand. I might also pre-order Charterstone.

The much longer list of things I'm going to spend a little time with, from which I'll pick up a few that really strike me, is:

Agra, Antiquity, Azul
Brides & Bribes, Bronze
Calimala, Carthago: Merchants and Guilds, Chimera Station
Dream Home: 156 Sunny Street, The Dutch East Indies
Empires, Ex Libris, Exodus Fleet
Feudalia, Food Truck Champion
The Great Fire Of London 1666
Habitats, Halloween, Heldentaufe
Iberian Rails, Ilos, Immortals, Indian Summer, Isaribi
Keyper
Majesty: For the Realm, Manhattan, Merlin, Minute Realms, Mucho Macho
The Networks: Executives, New York Slice, A Nice Cup of Tea, Noria, Nusfjord
Otys
Parley, Peak Oil, Photosynthesis, Pixie Queen, Professor Evil, Pulsar 2849
Quests of Valeria
Rajas of the Ganges, Riga
The Sands of Time, Santa Maria, Scarlet Pimpernel, Sentient, Small City Around The World #1, Space Race, Star Cartel, Startups, Steamrollers
Ticket to Mars, Topiary, Torres, Tortuga 1667, Transatlantic, Tybor der Baumeister
Viral
Wendake, Whistle Stop

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
In Codenames, I will ALWAYS use the extra guess for getting all my clues, even if I have zero information to go on.

I like to live on the edge.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

enigmahfc posted:

In Codenames, I will ALWAYS use the extra guess for getting all my clues, even if I have zero information to go on.

I like to live on the edge.

With Duet, since you get extra logic information, I actually totally do this because of how the turn structure works.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
I was super double excited about Legend of the 5 Rings LCG and then Quinn's took some of the wind out of my sails. I managed to get a gencon copy and I can see what he's talking about when he says the game plays like a ceremony - to an extent. I mean Netrunner was dense as hell when the core came out so I kind of feel like his review is more like "I got too hooked on Netrunner and don't want to be hurt again."

Aside from that, hopefully the reality of the games culture won't be as cringe-worthy as he's talking about (tournament chanting?). Anyone else had any thoughts on the game - I'm probably about a 1000 posts behind so sorry if this is dredging up the past.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

quinns from su&sd posted:

In conclusion then, if you take intrinsic pleasure in competing, planning and taking your opponents apart with cool, logical thinking, L5R is a sight to be seen. For a lot of people, it’s going to be an absolute treat. If you’re in the market for an obsession, I think you should unquestionably buy a single Core Set and find out if it’s for you.

But it’s not for me. There’s too little laughter and surprise. This game offers enlightenment, when what I want is duende. It offers mastery, when what I want is to express myself.

Frankly, it offers a contest, when what I want is a good time.

it sounds like a good game that doesn't involve enough """"fun"""" for the shut up and sit down crew. I think you'll be fine.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
any thoughts on clans of caledonia? Looks super good from what I've seen of it. Love me some mid-heavy market games w/ a spatial element.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Jedit posted:

Keyper will be at Essen, and if you're really quick on the Thursday you might be able to get a Character Edition - they have a few left over.

My must-haves are Barenpark, Not Alone: Exploration and Pocket Mars. I also have pre-orders for Altiplano, Samhain, possibly Card City XL if I can get a collection arranged, and a couple of small games from Japon Brand. I might also pre-order Charterstone.

The much longer list of things I'm going to spend a little time with, from which I'll pick up a few that really strike me, is:

Agra, Antiquity, Azul
Brides & Bribes, Bronze
Calimala, Carthago: Merchants and Guilds, Chimera Station
Dream Home: 156 Sunny Street, The Dutch East Indies
Empires, Ex Libris, Exodus Fleet
Feudalia, Food Truck Champion
The Great Fire Of London 1666
Habitats, Halloween, Heldentaufe
Iberian Rails, Ilos, Immortals, Indian Summer, Isaribi
Keyper
Majesty: For the Realm, Manhattan, Merlin, Minute Realms, Mucho Macho
The Networks: Executives, New York Slice, A Nice Cup of Tea, Noria, Nusfjord
Otys
Parley, Peak Oil, Photosynthesis, Pixie Queen, Professor Evil, Pulsar 2849
Quests of Valeria
Rajas of the Ganges, Riga
The Sands of Time, Santa Maria, Scarlet Pimpernel, Sentient, Small City Around The World #1, Space Race, Star Cartel, Startups, Steamrollers
Ticket to Mars, Topiary, Torres, Tortuga 1667, Transatlantic, Tybor der Baumeister
Viral
Wendake, Whistle Stop

Thanks. Some of the names sound interesting. I have to look them up. I was just browsing brettspielbox.de and they have just a few of the games with some information on them. Have to check bgg for the other ones.

And thanks for the Keyper heads up. I will go to Spiel on Thursday so I might get lucky.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Is the buzz around Keyper positive? I must admit to not really paying close attention, but loved the hell out of Keyflower.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
I finally got sick enough of Codex's art that I started seriously working on a retheme. Went with a Warcraft setting, mostly because where else was I going to find enough art for 350-something cards. I made a big post about the fluff for it over in the WoW lore thread:

At this point I have new names written and new art picked out for every card, I just need a card template to put everything together. I think I can use Magic Set Editor and make some kind of custom template? Anybody have any tips on where I should start with all that?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Just got an update on Gloomhaven. Looks like it's pushed to November :(

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Kashuno posted:

Boo! I guess patience is a virtue, eh?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Kashuno posted:

Well, that sucks. Oh well.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Kashuno posted:

NOOOOOOOooooooooo

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
drat now i'll have to wait until november to do the solo scenarios. But.... my character could use their solo item reward now!!!

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
Just ordered Sidereal Confluence on a whim cause the concept looked neat and the BGG comments were largely positive. Anyone played this yet? My record with impulse purchases is poor but maybe this one will be better.

Also, War of the Ring and the expansions are getting a reprint which makes me exceptionally happy. I procrastinated purchasing at $60 and when I came around again all copies online were sold out at that price with it being $100+ on Amazon. I'm not making that mistake again.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Kashuno posted:

Lame.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Huskalator posted:

Just ordered Sidereal Confluence on a whim cause the concept looked neat and the BGG comments were largely positive. Anyone played this yet? My record with impulse purchases is poor but maybe this one will be better.

I was looking at Sidereal Confluence, but the comments on BGG actually turned me off it. It's the Trade phase from Advanced Civilisation played for two hours with brief breaks for cube pushing, and the exceptions to the rules are longer than the rules themselves.

Also, it's Wizkids.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

al-azad posted:

Man, I'm wracking my brains over here trying to think of a way to present video reviews without standing in front of my shelf-of-shame or my hands moving cardboard around telling you how the game is played. Maybe a mix of both?

Screw gimmicks. If you're passionate about games, find a way to communicate that to the world and people will gravitate to that. Worry about the flummery later as you develop a niche.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

What the email said was:

Kickstarter email posted:

So, to recap: the shipment going to the Germany fulfillment center was broken up into three parts, and the final one won't be arriving until Oct. 20. This means that if your game is on that last boat, we'll likely be pushing into early November fulfillment for you.

So some people may get it earlier. This is also for the EU areas mostly.

Kickstarter email posted:

What about the other shipments?
Okay, so all of that was about the EU and "rest of the world" backers. If you're not in that group, I still have little information to give you, unfortunately. As I said above, the factory is confident that the next shipments will be sent out much faster and more efficiently. I know I expected to have more info on these shipments by now, but I don't. I am definitely hopeful that things should be moving along in some capacity by next update, though.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
2/3 chance, ill take those odds

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

PrinnySquadron posted:

What the email said was:

It also says

quote:

All Kickstarter shipments should be leaving the factory by early next month. Does that mean that, like for the EU backers, delivery could get pushed back until early November for some people? That is possible.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I'm bummed about Gloomhaven being pushed back, one of the friends we were planning on playing it with will be moving to another city in December and at this rate it might not get here before schedules get too busy and he moves away.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I'm the guy who's cool with Gloomhaven being delayed because I'll have plenty of time to learn Pendragon before then.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CaptainRightful posted:

I'm the guy who's cool with Gloomhaven being delayed because I'll have plenty of time to learn Pendragon before then.

It hasn't charged or shipped - what am I missing?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

CommonShore posted:

It hasn't charged or shipped - what am I missing?

Check your email if you haven't. Basically there's a good chance if you're anywhere that isn't North America you're getting your delivery in November, and if you're in NA you miiiight get it in November (instead of October).

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical

Huskalator posted:

Also, War of the Ring and the expansions are getting a reprint which makes me exceptionally happy. I procrastinated purchasing at $60 and when I came around again all copies online were sold out at that price with it being $100+ on Amazon. I'm not making that mistake again.

I played it twice about a month ago. The big cube pushing swap meet was great the first time around, and I really like how the game scales in terms of not quite giving you everything you need to run all your conversion devices. It lost a lot of its luster the 2nd game as it felt really similar even though I was playing a different faction. It might just be that playing back to back is a bad idea, but I'd definitely give it a couple plays before buying.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Impermanent posted:

any thoughts on clans of caledonia? Looks super good from what I've seen of it. Love me some mid-heavy market games w/ a spatial element.

it's not out yet except for a tabletopia module as far as I know, the KS copies are shipping around Essen time. I've watched the playthrough vids and it essentially steals the general game flow from Terra Mystica, as well as the hex map and shipping track, but ditches everything else in favor of Marco Polo style trade contracts and a resource market. It's a really clever synthesis of a bunch of proven euro mechanics and my impression is that barring any unexpected issues, it's going to be a Terra Mystica killer for a lot of people (myself included) since it's both more elegant and higher variability than TM, looks easier to teach, and has player scaling for 2p games.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
So I discovered casual scum play Codenames by Monopoly hearsay rules.

They don't know about zero and unlimited and do not police any upper limit on guesses. :barf:

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Was wondering if you knowledgeable lot could recommend me a game?

I'm looking for a co-op game for 2-8 players (as in anything in that range, not that it has to accommodate between two and eight) maybe like a 4X game, but certainly one where you each control unique characters / armies with unique abilities, that you can augment throughout the game, similar to the Arkham / eldritch horror games? Ideally something quite ameritrashy, but where non violence as a legitimate option. Thanks for any and all suggestions!

/edit: did I just describe gloomhaven?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

!Klams posted:

Was wondering if you knowledgeable lot could recommend me a game?

I'm looking for a co-op game for 2-8 players (as in anything in that range, not that it has to accommodate between two and eight) maybe like a 4X game, but certainly one where you each control unique characters / armies with unique abilities, that you can augment throughout the game, similar to the Arkham / eldritch horror games? Ideally something quite ameritrashy, but where non violence as a legitimate option. Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Source your quotes.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Crackbone posted:

Source your quotes.

Sorry, do I have terrible taste or is this just annoyingly vague? I've been looking for something like this for a while, and only really found a couple of contenders that actually look good.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Games that come to mind based on your super broad criteria:

Kemet

Scythe

Inis

Arcadia Quest

Cyclades

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
It sounds like you want to be playing Dungeons & Dragons

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
D&D is the best 4X, period.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dominant Species arguably covers all those bases.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Countblanc posted:

Check your email if you haven't. Basically there's a good chance if you're anywhere that isn't North America you're getting your delivery in November, and if you're in NA you miiiight get it in November (instead of October).

The only P500 charge I've had covered recently is FoF and I'm still waiting for it to show.

e. and on their p500 list it hasn't listed as charged yet, either.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Sep 12, 2017

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Bottom Liner posted:

Games that come to mind based on your super broad criteria:

Kemet

Scythe

Inis

Arcadia Quest

Cyclades

It's actually not as broad as all that, despite looking like it at face value, for example, non of your suggestions meet the criteria of 'co-op'. I realise that sounds super condescending, I don't mean it like that, those are great suggestions actually and I'll probably pick at least one of those up (have sycthe, have been looking at Kemet and Cyclades already, will investigate the others) but what's been surprising to me is how few games actually seem to meet this criteria. X-Com is almost along the right lines, I love the asynchronous gameplay of that, but you don't really make choices about your character to 'make them your own', which is what I love.

I guess basically Lichtenstein, you're right, its just that my playgroup are all so loving flaky that I haven't been able to even get them to fill out character sheets, and then after that debacle I couldn't even get them to choose from some pre-rolled ones, so despite them all saying they wanted to play D&D I just can't see it realistically happening.

Dominant species looks p. loving Euro to me, but am willing to give it a go. Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against Eurogames, and a lot of my fave games are Euro's. Its just the particular itch I'm looking to scratch is something more like the DooM boardgame, or like, HeroQuest or The undercity? But kind of more than just a dungeon crawler, ideally. /edit Oh that's not co-op either.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Sep 12, 2017

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

!Klams posted:

Sorry, do I have terrible taste or is this just annoyingly vague? I've been looking for something like this for a while, and only really found a couple of contenders that actually look good.

It's just really weird set of criteria.

Coop
4X
Ameritrashy
Non-violence option

What are the things you found you saw as contenders?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Crackbone posted:

It's just really weird set of criteria.

Coop
4X
Ameritrashy
Non-violence option

What are the things you found you saw as contenders?

Sure it's a weird set of criteria, sorry about that. It's basically because for my gaming pals, Arkham horror / Eldritch horror are basically the most popular games. They're good and all, but

A) Someone among us already has it all
B) the downtime is a loving nightmare

There are a couple of the group that don't really like war games. Arkham is great because you can go off and do missions or close gates or whatever, without really concentrating on fighting. Normally in a game where you 'level up' the main stat you level is the one that makes you hit harder, which is sort of linear and kind of dull, but I think that tailoring your own unique character and banding together to overcome challenges with your unique set of skills is just a really fun type of game.

Contenders include: Defenders of the Realm, Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the cursed Island, Some other war game on that I cant remember the name of... there's a dice tower review I'll have a look.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Sep 12, 2017