Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

Rollersnake posted:

OK, so what is the best general purpose PC gamepad then, for retro and modern games? I need to replace my Xbox 360 controller since the left stick is drifting, and I'm not getting an Xbox One controller since I prefer wired and it's ludicrous to spend $70 on a gamepad anyway.

Are there any particularly good 3rd party 360 controllers?
Get an Xbone controller - it is wired using a Microusb and regularly under $40 new. Then for emulation buy an adapter. Personally I use Blissbox 4play, but that is more than $70. A MayFlash 3 in 1 PC Joy Box does Dreamcast, Saturn, and PSX controllers very well and is about $20

Why are retro controller converters mostly named like sex toys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This happened with my TV whenever I played a Neo-Geo game on the Wii. Something like a XRGB should more or less make this problem permanently go away, until I guess 1080p has the same problem down the line.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I figured this would be the best place to ask.

I was trying to swap an 8 pin bios chip. One of the legs came completely off. It didn't snap, it like, slid out of the drat chip. So there's not even a spec for me to solder on to.

I've been reading that I could lightly Dremel the chip to expose some metal of where the pin went to. However, I thought these things were like micro SD cards in that every spec of it has data on it. I don't want to "scrape off" any data. Is the "data" typically on the top of the chip, or the bottom? Or neither? Basically, does it matter which side I scrape to get to the pin?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

fastbilly1 posted:

Why are retro controller converters mostly named like sex toys?

My flight stick I found at Goodwill for $7 is the "Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar."

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

My flight stick I found at Goodwill for $7 is the "Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar."

I have an Atari controller called the "KY Fingertip controller"...

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

This happened with my TV whenever I played a Neo-Geo game on the Wii. Something like a XRGB should more or less make this problem permanently go away, until I guess 1080p has the same problem down the line.

With the Neo-Geo virtual console games you can press Z + A + 2 (with a wii remote and nunchuck) while in the in-game operations guide to force it into "Wii Component Cable Interlace Mode", which should solve your issue. Z + A + 1 reverts it back to the default.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

This happened with my TV whenever I played a Neo-Geo game on the Wii.

You've probably worked past it at this point with an XRGB, but if you haven't, or if anyone is wondering, there's a trick to make Neo Geo games on the Wii output at 480i instead of 240p: press the home button, go into Operations Guide, connect a nunchuk to the Wiimote and press the Z, A, and 2 buttons at the same time. It'll stay that way for any Neo Geo games you play. To switch it back to 240p, press Z, A, and 1.

While I'm on the topic, one other neat hidden trick on the Wii Virtual Console for anybody who cares is if you want to play Dracula X Peke, the hidden goof game included in Rondo of Blood if you used the wrong System Card, open up Rondo of Blood, hit Home, press up+left on the dpad, hold 1+2, then select reset with the A button.

Edit: welp, at least I included the other trick

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've been trying playing PSX games on my PAL PS2 and it doesn't like it at all. Is there a specific setting it needs?

Mine has a similar issue, but it's something about how the PS2 does sync over component while in PS1 mode, it fixes when I unplug the cable and plug it in again.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Spoderman posted:

While I'm on the topic, one other neat hidden trick on the Wii Virtual Console for anybody who cares is if you want to play Dracula X Peke, the hidden goof game included in Rondo of Blood if you used the wrong System Card, open up Rondo of Blood, hit Home, press up+left on the dpad, hold 1+2, then select reset with the A button.

Holy poo poo I never knew that trick, thanks!That was my only disappointment about not owning the real thing!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Spoderman posted:

You've probably worked past it at this point with an XRGB, but if you haven't, or if anyone is wondering, there's a trick to make Neo Geo games on the Wii output at 480i instead of 240p: press the home button, go into Operations Guide, connect a nunchuk to the Wiimote and press the Z, A, and 2 buttons at the same time. It'll stay that way for any Neo Geo games you play. To switch it back to 240p, press Z, A, and 1.

Omg

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm using a mid-2000's plasma TV, so that might well be it.

In Training posted:

This happened to me as well, it's kind of a bummer. Someday I'll get a CRT though, and it will all be peachy keen

I had an Insignia brand CRT circa 2005-2006 that wouldn't let me play PS1 games over component. So I had to swap between component and s-video when playing PS1 games on my PS2. So you never know. That said, I haven't had issues with playing PS1 games over component on other TVs (both CRT and LCD).

For HDTV's, as long as yours can do 240p over component, then you will be ok.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Spoderman posted:

:eyepop: I had no idea about this, either

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Spoderman posted:

Is there a way to do this on the duo R?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

GutBomb posted:

Is there a way to do this on the duo R?

If I'm understanding what he's saying correctly, it should be doable by using the wrong system card; you can definitely override the built-in one with a physical one in the HuCard slot (including just loading the ROM for the system card via the Turbo Everdrive), and I would assume it's also possible to just burn a CD-R that boots to the joke game.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

I've been doing a lot of traveling lately, and I always stop by the local "retro game" store. Today I'm at Dulles, so I stopped by https://www.estarland.com which was literally across the street from where I'm staying.

What a big store with a ton of new poo poo! I was impressed with the selection, but not with the price. WTH is it with stores charging more than eBay prices? I mean a little bit higher is one thing, but everything was 10-20% or more higher. I mean, WTH? Also, so many people were bringing in used games to trade in while I was there, and getting like 10% of what they could have selling on craigslist or eBay. Are people just that lazy?

Rant over. I'm just made I can't get old games at reasonable prices anymore. Time to order some more flashcarts.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

In-store is worth it since buying off eBay involves a lot of guesswork on the condition of the item you'll finally receive. And physical stores have operating costs, rent is likely pretty expensive as is paying your employees, so they do have to make more off sales than an eBay person does.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

quote:

Dracula X Peke

:laffo: that's awesome.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

XtraSmiley posted:

I've been doing a lot of traveling lately, and I always stop by the local "retro game" store. Today I'm at Dulles, so I stopped by https://www.estarland.com which was literally across the street from where I'm staying.

What a big store with a ton of new poo poo! I was impressed with the selection, but not with the price. WTH is it with stores charging more than eBay prices? I mean a little bit higher is one thing, but everything was 10-20% or more higher. I mean, WTH? Also, so many people were bringing in used games to trade in while I was there, and getting like 10% of what they could have selling on craigslist or eBay. Are people just that lazy?

Rant over. I'm just made I can't get old games at reasonable prices anymore. Time to order some more flashcarts.

I live 20 minutes from there and never go. Their in store prices aren't any cheaper than online, same selection. There aren't many retro games stores in the area, so they basically get to set rates (there is one specialty collectors store in a mall near me that sells some games at eBay prices, and then 2nd & Charles, which is near eBay prices for most things, and resellers clear out the thrift stores are pretty regular rates). People probably don't want to deal with eBay or CL either, so just take the hit for store credit to get what they want.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 11, 2017

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!
One thing I've noticed about these places is that their hardware prices (non-console) are usually not inflated vs online. I bought a Saturn 3D controller (24.99) and two Model 2 Saturn controllers (9.99 each) from Gamestop and that was notably lower than Ebay, barring you getting lucky on an auction.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

XtraSmiley posted:

10-20% over ebay prices is drat reasonable for a brick and mortar store. I'm more used to seeing two to three times ebay prices.

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I buy Deadly Towers for $4.99 instead of $2.99 plus free shipping or whatever because I like to go in a store and see what they have

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

The ability to return if it is defective does have value too. So it really depends on how particular you are when looking at eBay listings. Also, when it comes to games that are frequently reproduced, you can at least go into the store and have them open it to make sure the board is legit.

I am pretty lazy and cheap, so I usually just take the risks online and return it or go through PayPal if they try to screw me over.

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes

XtraSmiley posted:

Also, so many people were bringing in used games to trade in while I was there, and getting like 10% of what they could have selling on craigslist or eBay. Are people just that lazy?

It's 2017 and some people still don't know to sell poo poo online so they'd rather just go somewhere else to deal with it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

As a person with access to a good retro store that takes stuff for decent values and will take literally anything, god I hope I never have to sell stuff online ever again.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

desudrive posted:

It's 2017 and some people still don't know to sell poo poo online so they'd rather just go somewhere else to deal with it.

If you are a kid, your parents may be more cool with you trading in than doing the financials of selling online. Or if the money isn't that big a deal to you and you'd rather not go through the trouble I guess. I'd rather trade in a sports game for $0.20 than sell online for $2. You'd probably get more value for it that way after fees and shipping (some games I don't even know how people aren't losing money on shipping alone).

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

XtraSmiley posted:

Yeah, like a couple others, this is a local store for me, too. I used to work a few minutes from there and would go by to look around at lunch. I haven't bought anything from there in years (10+ years ago they were in a smaller location in a strip mall and had much more decent prices/import selections). They host some cool swap meet events, but buying actual games from the store sucks. I also loving HATE that they don't price things and I have to use a kiosk in the store to search for games on their website to find a price.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
My local stores hover around ebay prices, or more accurately video game price charts pricing. The problem is they never get anything unusual anymore, the shelves are usually a sea of shovelware and common games everybody already owns. And if something unusual comes in its usually super rare big bucks no one sane wants to buy (hello disc only Popful Mail thats been in the case at $199 for 3 years now)! Lately I've been doing better in the friendlier pawn shops the next city over. Still ebay pricing but at least there's interesting poo poo to look at, like Rising Zan the Samurai Gunman on PS1.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
the translation patch makers for rondo of blood also went out of their way to properly translate peke and i'm very glad they cared enough to pay attention to such a small weird detail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH8VxaEltPo

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Sep 12, 2017

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

OK, those of you local to that store... any good places to eat? I love Mexican and BBQ, no chains please..

And to make this a retro themed post, what's the biggest change in a 16-bit game in regards to food items? I'm thinking Mystical Ninja, but maybe there were others? (i.e. changing Japanese cuisine into American).

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

XtraSmiley posted:

OK, those of you local to that store... any good places to eat? I love Mexican and BBQ, no chains please..

And to make this a retro themed post, what's the biggest change in a 16-bit game in regards to food items? I'm thinking Mystical Ninja, but maybe there were others? (i.e. changing Japanese cuisine into American).

Where are you staying? If you're closer in towards DC/Arlington, District Taco is the best you can get. It's a local chain (started a food truck here, and has blossomed into a couple of locations in the area--the menu is based off the founder's mother's recipes), but super delicious. Texas Jack's is my favorite local BBQ, followed by Dixie Bones, then Rockland's (though I know a lot of people prefer Rockland's over Dixie Bones).

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

XtraSmiley posted:

It's not a 16-bit game but Dragon Power, the unlicensed western conversion of the first Dragon Ball game, gave not-Master Roshi a burning desire for not-Bulma's "sandwiches" which I'm pretty sure were just the original panties sprite flipped upside-down.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's not a 16-bit game but Dragon Power, the unlicensed western conversion of the first Dragon Ball game, gave not-Master Roshi a burning desire for not-Bulma's "sandwiches" which I'm pretty sure were just the original panties sprite flipped upside-down.

Dragon Power is one of the most unplayable NES games out there, only it's the one that flies under people's radar.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

XtraSmiley posted:

Around Dulles/eStarland? I couldn't tell you other than the normal chains. I live 25 minutes away and its a whole different world of restaurants. Not sure what your driving situation is.

Its 8-bit, but in Dragon Power (the US's translation for the Dragon Ball game), Master Roshi's character lusts after Bulma's sandwiches instead of her panties. They maintained their triangle shape.

edit: haha, wow, did not think someone would have beaten me to it, typed it up awhile ago but forgot to hit send before putting my kid to bed

Random Stranger posted:

Dragon Power is one of the most unplayable NES games out there, only it's the one that flies under people's radar.

Its not that bad, I've beaten it. Even got pretty far into it when I was a kid before I ever saw Dragon Ball or Z. Wasn't until years later that I put the connection together when I went through to play it again.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Sep 12, 2017

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Does anybody here play/like/feel-like-defending The Tower of Druaga? Would "the PC Engine remake is better" be the prevailing opinion?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Got a very out-there game design question for something mostly seen in retro games. Basically, I want to know if there's a name or accepted term for the concept where the difficulty ramps up considerably because you got hit or died. Things like losing the "beam" in Zelda when you get hit, or when you lose weapons from dying in games like Contra, Gradius and Adventure Island.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

univbee posted:

Got a very out-there game design question for something mostly seen in retro games. Basically, I want to know if there's a name or accepted term for the concept where the difficulty ramps up considerably because you got hit or died. Things like losing the "beam" in Zelda when you get hit, or when you lose weapons from dying in games like Contra, Gradius and Adventure Island.

I usually say "bullshit!" when it happens to me if that helps

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

univbee posted:

Stuff like losing the beam in Zelda or starting with the base rifle in Contra, is just losing your achievements to me since you can still get by without them. However, in certain shooters and schmups and other games, if you die you are basically hosed... I just call that poor game design. If your chance of beating the level goes from 50% to 5%... thats just fuckery.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

univbee posted:

In SHMUPs, it's called rank. Your rank goes up or down depending on your weapons and how many times you've died.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Star Man posted:

In SHMUPs, it's called rank. Your rank goes up or down depending on your weapons and how many times you've died.

This is actually very cool since it's the game auto-adjusting, but is if anything a response to what I'm describing. I'll explain in greater detail:

In Contra 3 and 4, you can trivially kill a boss before it can do much even on the hardest difficulty if you have crushers (esp. double crushers). If you die shortly before the boss room and lose your crusher, the boss, while remaining the same, is now considerably harder because it takes longer for you to kill it with whatever other weapon you have and it has a chance to do more stuff. The game itself hasn't changed in terms of enemy behavior, it's the player character that became weaker due to happenstance.

For an even more extreme example, Adventure Island's World 8 doesn't give you an axe. If you get to World 8 and then avoid death, it's not too bad, because you can kill stuff. However, if you die at any point, suddenly you're redoing a section you mowed through earlier with a weapon, except now you have to precision jump over and between everything with super-poo poo controls. I think when this happened to me in my youth I legitimately contemplated just starting the game over from the beginning, it was that hard for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Does anybody here play/like/feel-like-defending The Tower of Druaga? Would "the PC Engine remake is better" be the prevailing opinion?

Super influential and not bad so much as not user friendly. That said, if you bounce off it you're not going to like it better because it's on the PC Engine. Druaga was an early arcade game, after all, and the Famicom version is pretty solid as a port.

Of the Druaga series:

Tower of Druaga is interesting, but cruel.
The Return of Ishtar is much worse than Tower and just not worth playing.
Quest of Ki is really fantastic, though some of the final stages in the bonus levels are total dick moves.
Blue Crystal Rod I've never played and as far as I can tell, nobody outside of Japan has either.
Nightmare of Druaga is kind of neat, though it's definitely more Mystery Dungeon than Tower of Druaga.

• Locked thread