Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

jassi007 posted:

People are on facebook trying to buy non-foil playets for $8 because most stores have a playset at around $10.

I actually had no clue that the nonfoil prices have spiked that high. What complete scumbags. I just assumed they sold all the ones they had through there private store.

10 cents to 2.50$ per is a big spike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

gif Probst posted:

theres a number of people who are into the weatherlight era stuff v:shobon:v

Those people deserve to be separated from their money, so everybody wins

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Elyv posted:

mostly it's #mtgfinance but also people think it'll be modern playable

Ain't no "think"

It's better than serum visions in about 50% of strategies

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

sit on my Facebook posted:

Ain't no "think"

It's better than serum visions in about 50% of strategies

Okay but.
its a common. In standard.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Count Bleck posted:

Okay but.
its a common. In standard.

This was my point, I thought it might be people wanting to be "cool" and play the old printing in standard but there's going to be literally millions of them opened.

Edit: I kinda get it a little now I think about it, it was originally printed in a set that's not modern legal and by printing it in IXL it makes it modern legal now. Still retarded but I kinda get it.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Pretty sure its not legal till the set releases anyway.

Admiral
Dec 14, 2000

If you see this man, slap him in the nuts for me.

Count Bleck posted:

So, where are you putting everything else?

Uh, in my constantly expanding 5000 count boxes of bulk that I'll never do anything with, of course. (I'm not even kidding.)

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Cracking a box is fun for me as well, but I would never call it an investment.

Exactly. It's only a problem when people buy boxes expecting to profit from the value of the cards they open. Sure sometimes it will happen, but 95% of the time, you're going to be in for a bad time.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The Invasion edition of Opt is in the old frame. That's why people want it. The illustration sucks and the Gerrard quote sucks.

But it's the old frame.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Star Man posted:

Gerrard quote sucks.

"We need alternatives, Hannah," said Star Man. "Now!"

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

gif Probst posted:

i just did a draftsim and wound up with a KTK draft deck :v://Deck from draftsim.com
1 Monastery Swiftspear
1 Serra Ascendant
1 Borderland Marauder
4 Dragonlord's Servant
2 Seeker of the Way
2 Dragon Bell Monk
1 Battle-Rattle Shaman
1 Furnace Whelp
1 Angel of Mercy
3 Scion of Ugin
1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
1 Pillar of Flame
2 Dragon Tempest
1 Guided Strike
1 Rift Bolt
1 Evolving Wilds
8 Mountain
8 Plains

i p1p1 bladewing the risen (it was a bad pack) and grabbed like 3 dragon egg

p1p1 channel, then got 6 ivy elementals. This is a good deck, right?

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Lol, I'm pretty sure I have several of the old Opts in my collection somewhere. Not sure about foils, though. Probably not.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

TheMaestroso posted:

Lol, I'm pretty sure I have several of the old Opts in my collection somewhere. Not sure about foils, though. Probably not.

This run on Opts has me wondering if you could build a passable Modern deck solely from cards in the old-style frame. So anything printed pre-8th Edition, TSP Timeshifted, and Judge promos in the old frame like Noble Hierarch.

My first instinct is some sort of mono-red prison deck since you have Blood Moon and Ensnaring Bridge (and don't need Modern-era duals like shocklands), maybe some mana denial stuff like Avalanche Riders and Stone Rain. But I'm pretty sure that deck would have zero wincons other than your opponent rage-quitting.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 12, 2017

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I got a good laugh out of people seriously asking if that Blood Moon change was going to break open Dark Depths, a card that is already banned for significantly more powerful interactions than "play Blood Moon, then play this land, then destroy Blood Moon"

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Sickening posted:

Sellers on tcgplayer are getting worse. On the 6th, I ordered some old opts because I like the old art. Since a playset was only 40 cents, I bought some elemental tokens at 6x the price to make sending them less painful for the seller. It came out to 5.50$, fine.

Today I get a notification that they only mailed me the tokens and darn the luck, they sold out of opts. I guess I get some free elemental tokens because they are going to have to refund my entire order.

Report them to TCG player. They do not gently caress around any more and will get the seller to send you some opts or risk getting delisted.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Report them to TCG player. They do not gently caress around any more and will get the seller to send you some opts or risk getting delisted.

This is only an issue with the smaller sellers. The large ones can get away with this at will as long as they have high volume.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Sickening posted:

This is only an issue with the smaller sellers. The large ones can get away with this at will as long as they have high volume.
I thought they were cracking down on everyone now.
Ah well, you can always start a firestorm on reddit if you want.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Ein Sexmonster posted:

I thought they were cracking down on everyone now.
Ah well, you can always start a firestorm on reddit if you want.

It was mox mania of all places. Anyone visit that lgs?

Threads of this stuff pops up on Reddit all the time without recourse.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

I did a few drafts of IMA on that draftsim site, and it seems like UG mill is a passable deck, at least to the point where you can enable a whole bunch of Jace's Phantasms.

Also, I can't wait to draft the hell out of this set.

Necronomicon fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 12, 2017

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Played in a pppptq this past Saturday at a store that was an "abandoned laundromat" in the owner's words. They hadn't had running water for a couple months because supposedly the county was loving them over. The owner said we could use the bathroom in the dollar general across the street and phrased it in a way that made it sound like they had an arrangement. This was not the case as several people reported when they tried exactly that. In response to this, the owner said he used to be a store manager there and you could just use the bathroom and the employees can't stop you. As most people aren't sociopaths we just pissed in the woods behind but I felt bad for the couple women, and especially bad for the trans one.

He got reported.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

Here's a list of the cards Iconic Masters is adding to Pauper. I don't follow the format closely enough to speak to whether there's anything truly exciting there but it doesn't seem like it's all just straight-up chaff.

Thank you for reminding me that I want to see Massacre Girl as a commander for some precon down the line.

Or maybe a legendary in the inevitable Return to Return to Ravnica.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

Here's a list of the cards Iconic Masters is adding to Pauper. I don't follow the format closely enough to speak to whether there's anything truly exciting there but it doesn't seem like it's all just straight-up chaff.

Oof, I totally missed Ivy Elemental going from rare to common. Has that happened to any cards that aren't green creatures?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Oof, I totally missed Ivy Elemental going from rare to common. Has that happened to any cards that aren't green creatures?

Mortician Beetle in MM3.

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program

Pontius Pilate posted:

Played in a pppptq this past Saturday at a store that was an "abandoned laundromat" in the owner's words. They hadn't had running water for a couple months because supposedly the county was loving them over. The owner said we could use the bathroom in the dollar general across the street and phrased it in a way that made it sound like they had an arrangement. This was not the case as several people reported when they tried exactly that. In response to this, the owner said he used to be a store manager there and you could just use the bathroom and the employees can't stop you. As most people aren't sociopaths we just pissed in the woods behind but I felt bad for the couple women, and especially bad for the trans one.

He got reported.

To add to this it was clear that he had been pissing in the woods for months himself

I'm glad this was only the event of this sort I really plan on playing; kinda sums the whole thing up

Edit:

To be additionally clear, his words were, verbatim "They can't stop you", which conjures up images of him walking in there every day to talk a poo poo, staring deep into the manager's eyes the whole time while giving her the finger

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
so I guess it was more like a peepeeptq :downsrim:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

C-Euro posted:

This run on Opts has me wondering if you could build a passable Modern deck solely from cards in the old-style frame. So anything printed pre-8th Edition, TSP Timeshifted, and Judge promos in the old frame like Noble Hierarch.

My first instinct is some sort of mono-red prison deck since you have Blood Moon and Ensnaring Bridge (and don't need Modern-era duals like shocklands), maybe some mana denial stuff like Avalanche Riders and Stone Rain. But I'm pretty sure that deck would have zero wincons other than your opponent rage-quitting.

You could do everything but the actual win-cons for Skred Red. Throw in some Lavamancers and maybe some Goblins (King, Mogg Fanatic, Piledriver, Grenade, Seige-Gang being the original Mom and Dad) and it could work.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

GoutPatrol posted:

You could do everything but the actual win-cons for Skred Red. Throw in some Lavamancers and maybe some Goblins (King, Mogg Fanatic, Piledriver, Grenade, Seige-Gang being the original Mom and Dad) and it could work.

I like the sound of Lavamancer and Siege-Gang since they can get damage in with Bridge in play. That curve is pretty top-heavy though.

E: Oh yeah Mind Stone is from Weatherlight.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 12, 2017

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Iconic Masters has a better Dragon theme in Limited than DTK did.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
A new LGS (Well game store) opened in my town and they do "Wacky FNM's" for promos with only a 5 dollar cover charge.

Next Friday their Wacky FNM theme is Modern, with a $50.00 or less decklist using TCGplayer pricing.

What kind of playable decks are out there?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

80s James Hetfield posted:

A new LGS (Well game store) opened in my town and they do "Wacky FNM's" for promos with only a 5 dollar cover charge.

Next Friday their Wacky FNM theme is Modern, with a $50.00 or less decklist using TCGplayer pricing.

Mono Green Stompy?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

You could build a respectable variation of the RtR/Theros R/B Minotaur deck. I had most of it for $25 Vintage

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

We did this a few months ago. A guy Door to Nothingness ended up winning 3-0. I played Naya humans to middling success.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Howling Mine / Temple Bell / All the Fogs deck with elixir of immortality as a wincon.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Yeah I was gonna say to pick your favorite limited archetype from the Modern era and make the best version of it.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Entropic posted:

Howling Mine / Temple Bell / All the Fogs deck with elixir of immortality as a wincon.

I was thinking about Maze's End but that's probably too slow.

I figure it'll be a shitload of Burn & Delver decks

80s James Hetfield fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 12, 2017

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

RG Shamans.

edit: fun deck Affinity minus wincons, just go all in on Etched Champion and Master of Etherium. Just don't have manlands, Ravager, Overseer, and Mox Opal.

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 12, 2017

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

I was thinking about Maze's End but that's probably too slow.

I figure it'll be a shitload of Burn & Delver decks

Zombie Hunt

Spells (4)
4 Treasure Hunt 1u 1.88

Enchantments (2)
2 Zombie Infestation 1b 1.24

Lands (54)
3 Dismal Backwater 0.45
3 Faerie Conclave 3.72
24 Island 0.00
4 Reliquary Tower 16.48
20 Swamp 0.00

Sideboard (15)
7 Island 0.00
4 Dispel u 0.76
4 Duress

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Cutting out lands you could play Swans: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-ubr-40764#paper

5-0 in league!

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Madmarker posted:

Zombie Hunt

Spells (4)
4 Treasure Hunt 1u 1.88

Enchantments (2)
2 Zombie Infestation 1b 1.24

Lands (54)
3 Dismal Backwater 0.45
3 Faerie Conclave 3.72
24 Island 0.00
4 Reliquary Tower 16.48
20 Swamp 0.00

Sideboard (15)
7 Island 0.00
4 Dispel u 0.76
4 Duress

This looks like the most hilarious but fragile thing ever

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
poo poo, when did Reliquary Tower become worth more than $1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Entropic posted:

poo poo, when did Reliquary Tower become worth more than $1?

*whispers into your ear gently*

"edh"