Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Slugnoid posted:

perkele in italian means 'gently caress your fathers rear end with your mothers tongue'

That's incredibly concise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Elizabethan Error posted:

because language is more persistent than symbols are, and n**ger has a bloody and violent history(more so than the nazi swastika)

also sometimes scrub noobs jsut wont help you cap the point and you gotta do what you gotta do

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

EmmyOk posted:

That's incredibly concise

thats what they call it a 'romantic' language

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Weatherman posted:

Serious question, is that word so toxic in the US that you can't even type it out when you are having a serious sit-down conversation about it? It's really weird seeing you all type out "the N-word" or "the N-bomb" and seeing even newscasters saying "the N-word" instead of "a racial epithet" or just the word itself.

It's not a magical incantation that will summon the demons except tiny brontosaurus. Does no one understand context anymore?

I'm not even american and I know the history behind that word, and why is wrong to say it, even in a serious discussion.

This whole thing reminds me of this youtuber I stopped following once I realize he's a gamergater and probably a white supremacist. Can't wait for the day he shouts a racial slur live.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
You can say the n-word as a white person if you have written permission from every black person in America. But you have to get that permission every time you want to say it.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
ah so thats why tarantino gets away with it

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I think this is a fine discussion to have just make sure to keep posting content and keep it civil too :coffeepal:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Thanks to those that explained that yes, the word really is that toxic.

Ironically for someone who said "doesn't anyone understand context", I did a real bad job at setting up mine.
I was not saying "golly we should all be able to say it if we just say 'I'm not racist, but' beforehand" or anything. I was thinking only in terms of like academic treatises and documentaries and whatnot where it's pretty clear that "we are discussing the history of the term and how it all sucks and continues to suck for this and that reason", etc.
That's where my question about "is it really that toxic in and on itself" came from -- specifically that kind of academic setting. From the responses I can see that it really is, so fair enough.

The other part I thought was strange was with the specific phrasing "the N word", because it just sounds so childish. "Muuuuuuuuum, he said the A word!!!!"
We usually see that sort of thing described as "profanities" or "racial slurs" or "asterisked-out w*****", and kids say "the __ word", so I wondered why it had to be done like that.

Also I'm not American either and I know the history of it too, to the poster who mentioned that. Perhaps you noticed that I deliberately did not use the word in my question! Do understand that I was genuinely trying to find out what the go is and now I've learnt something new, what what!

edit for the IoSM thread: OK NOW I'M SORRY FOR THE DERAIL AND now that I've had the last word IT'S TIME TO END THIS DERAIL!!!11!!!one!!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Slugnoid posted:

thats what they call it a 'romantic' language

I ... never mind

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

:agesilaus:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Slugnoid posted:

perkele in italian means 'gently caress your fathers rear end with your mothers tongue'

A typical Neapolitan pizza.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
You loving losers couldn't hope to get an interview at the prestigious offices of Kim Kardashian Website.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

MizPiz posted:

The nazis made one of the oldest symbols in humanity, something that's been used in practically every human culture as basically a protection and prosperity rune, into a symbol of hate and no one gives a poo poo.

But the second you say the n-word is a bad word, every Rational rear end in a top hat just has to let you know how little it offends them, personally

What do you mean "no one gives a poo poo?" Are you saying people don't try to reclaim Nazi symbols? Because I've seen people argue that "the Roman salute" is perfectly innocuous, and I can imagine them saying the same about the swastika.

Who What Now posted:

Unironically YES, it is in fact that toxic.

I do find it a little weird that you can't even discuss why you shouldn't say it or what's wrong with it without euphemism. But I can see how some people use the pretense of "rational discussion" as an excuse to simply say it over and over.

She was actually named Ashley Madison? loving lol.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Jurgan posted:

What do you mean "no one gives a poo poo?" Are you saying people don't try to reclaim Nazi symbols? Because I've seen people argue that "the Roman salute" is perfectly innocuous, and I can imagine them saying the same about the swastika.

When I was in like 5th grade I drew a bunch of swastikas in one of my books in class just to be an edgy shitkid. When my teacher discovered it and got mad, I calmly opened our religion textbook to the page where it said that the swastika was originally a Hindu symbol that was appropriated by the nazis and went "see, there's nothing offensive about it". She actually bought it and left me alone. That's my story about being a lovely kid with a lovely teacher.

That said though, it's important to realize that different symbols do mean different things in different cultures, and the swastika (albeit usually the opposite direction from the one the nazis used) is still a common sight in many Asian countries.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

tyblazitar posted:

When I was in like 5th grade I drew a bunch of swastikas in one of my books in class just to be an edgy shitkid. When my teacher discovered it and got mad, I calmly opened our religion textbook to the page where it said that the swastika was originally a Hindu symbol that was appropriated by the nazis and went "see, there's nothing offensive about it". She actually bought it and left me alone. That's my story about being a lovely kid with a lovely teacher.

That said though, it's important to realize that different symbols do mean different things in different cultures, and the swastika (albeit usually the opposite direction from the one the nazis used) is still a common sight in many Asian countries.

Fun Fact: as well as a Red Cross and Red Crescent, there used to be a Red Swastika for Buddhists. Pretty sure there isn't any more.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Weatherman posted:

Honest question. Are you white?
Lmao I can only read this as someone who thinks that KKK stands for the Kardashian sisters names.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

tyblazitar posted:

Yeah, about that...

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
What is a "cocktail show" and do I have to go to Hitler's to see one?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I wanna go,
To the late night,
Techno Hitler,
Cocktail Show.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
:v: "Hey do you know where I can find a convenience store around here?"
:downs: "Yeah there's a 7-11 right underneath the Hitler Techno Bar & Cocktail Show."

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

So we'd lost like one of the greatest empires and one of the most technologically/scientifically advanced periods of knowledge gathering and advancing in the world, will it change anything?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I think the Rebel Bar in Tel Aviv has since toned down its Confederate imagery, but it used to be quite blatant:

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
And yet the Confederados celebrate dixie with a sweet rear end inclusive celebration that doesn't offend anyone.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

toanoradian posted:

So we'd lost like one of the greatest empires and one of the most technologically/scientifically advanced periods of knowledge gathering and advancing in the world, will it change anything?

Which timeline are you referring to?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Jurgan posted:

I was more making a comment on how quickly people are willing to go to bat for the acceptability saying the n-word, especially given that it was explicitly created to be a violent prejoritive.

https://twitter.com/jules_su/status/907004301419171840

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
Does "heated gaming moment" hold up in court?

That sounds like the video game equivalent of "locker room talk".

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

El Tortuga posted:

How is this going to court?

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm just making a comment on how stupid something like that sounds.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

El Tortuga posted:

Please, the words 'locker room' are very triggering to those in the video gaming community.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

MizPiz posted:

I was more making a comment on how quickly people are willing to go to bat for the acceptability saying the n-word, especially given that it was explicitly created to be a violent prejoritive.

https://twitter.com/jules_su/status/907004301419171840

Decent Human: Reverse racism isn't real.
Hateful Moron: Uh-huh, if you look at the dictionary definition of racism... Also, "stupidest" isn't a word.
Decent Human: The dictionary says it is.
Hateful Moron: Well then the dictionary is wrong!

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Absurd Alhazred posted:

There is the vague possibility that due to "heated gaming moments". A publisher may want to distance themselves from YouTube streamers and potentially sue for the money the streamer made off the publishers video if it was monetized.

Since streaming videogames isn't technically legal no one wants to pull the trigger to set precedent.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

That map is being extremely generous in Spain.

And Africa for that matter.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

It's real, I've checked.

Cruz must be studying hyuu-man mating rituals.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Aw dammit you beat me to it.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Glagha posted:

Aw dammit you beat me to it.

haha same, here's one showing the nature of the content

:nws:http://i.imgur.com/TeWsbzg.png:nws:

I did not need to know that Ted Cruz is into cuckquean but now I do and welp

Peanut Butler has a new favorite as of 09:52 on Sep 12, 2017

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
yo what the gently caress

he unliked it, and now I've wasted my time going to Ted Cruz' twitter account, urgh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Peanut Butler posted:

haha same, here's one showing the nature of the content

:nws:

I did not need to know that Ted Cruz is into cuckquean but now I do and welp

I may be mistaken, but on some people's computers, spoilered images still show up. You may want to link that.