Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Looters N' Pillagers party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

A Wellington Boot Full of Horse Semen posted:

Steve Ciobo, the minister for trade, says protesters and activist groups have so discouraged Australia’s retail banks from financing “otherwise viable exporters in the coal sector” that the government must to step in to fund a growing “market gap.”

No, you cumboot; banks are divesting from coal because it's a poo poo investment. If banks gave a poo poo what activists thought, they wouldn't be responsible for pricing an entire generation out of the housing market, whilst pounding us all into the next gfc via predatory lending practices.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Remember when they argued against the CEFC because they didn't want the government interfering with market forces and backing loans that banks wouldn't touch?

Good times

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Something I just found out I didn't know - what was the 50,000 years of pre-contact marriage in Australia like?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Comstar posted:

Something I just found out I didn't know - what was the 50,000 years of pre-contact marriage in Australia like?

matrimonium nullius

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Don Dongington posted:

No, you cumboot; banks are divesting from coal because it's a poo poo investment. If banks gave a poo poo what activists thought, they wouldn't be responsible for pricing an entire generation out of the housing market, whilst pounding us all into the next gfc via predatory lending practices.

It's a good thing protesters and activists are men of no nation or creed beholden to no citizenry, instead of regular-as people who vote that disagree strongly enough with something to go out and say something about it. Otherwise this guy would look really lovely fighting for big foreign interests over the concerns of the people who elected him.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 11, 2017

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Energy company AGL has blinked in the face of sustained pressure from the Turnbull government over the future of the Liddell coal-fired power plant, asking for 90 days to come up with a proposal to keep the plant open, sell it - or deliver equivalent power into the market.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
AGL's plan: Give us lots of money, thanks.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
How long to various forms of renewable energy take to go from planning to coming on line? How much renewable capacity is it technically feasible to add to the grid in five years? Couldn't a non poo poo government just tender out the contracts to build a heap of windfarms and pumped storage and resolve this issue within a few years?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Don Dongington posted:

No.

I work as a credit assessor via one of the big 4.

I do two or three applications a day and if a matter doesn't service, the customer doesn't get the loan.

We are actively discouraged from writing any loan that is marginal because explicitly the bank doesn't want weak loans on its book.

We verify income from customers by contacting employers and any evidence of fraud is used to knock back loans and to dis-credit lenders who represent their customer and remove them.

I understand where this thought process of yours comes from but it's flatly wrong.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Imagine being a government who thinks buying up coal plants is a good idea?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Anidav posted:

Imagine being a government who thinks buying up coal plants is a good idea?
Selective free market ideology.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Anidav posted:

Imagine being a government who thinks buying up coal plants that are no longer profitable to run is a good idea?

Ftfy

AgentF
May 11, 2009
It's solid because afterwards it becomes an example that government can't run things more efficiently than the free market, and you can use this to justify privatising other things.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

So in some ways are the LNP are nationalising our power companies?

I can hear Ben Chifley's corpse doing 7000rpm at the moment.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The company's chief executive Andy Vesey met with the Government yesterday, giving a commitment to consider keeping it open longer. But that same night, he told the ABC that his company could ensure enough supply while also closing the plant in 2022.

Hahaahahhaahah

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Anidav posted:

giving a commitment to consider keeping it open longer.

I like how this statement is literally meaningless

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

You Am I posted:

So in some ways are the LNP are nationalising our power companies?

I can hear Ben Chifley's corpse doing 7000rpm at the moment.

It should be 3000rpm so we can sync him in with the rest of the electricity grid

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

norp posted:

Remember when they argued against the CEFC because they didn't want the government interfering with market forces and backing loans that banks wouldn't touch?

Good times

literally last weekend the nationals voted to phase out renewable subsidies because intervening in the market is horrible, just horrible

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lol china's moving full steam ahead with renewables and future tech.

quote:

The world's largest car market, China, has indicated it will follow countries like France and Britain in moving to ban the sale of new petrol and diesel engines.

The Chinese Government has not said when the full ban on petrol and diesel car sales would take effect, but other countries like the UK and France aim to do it by about 2040.

The decision could see China, which makes and buys more cars than any other country, send shockwaves across the global auto manufacturing sector.

Key points:

China has indicated it will move to ban petrol and diesel engines
The ban follows France and the UK, who will do the same by about 2040
Local industry figures say it could signal a revival of Australian auto manufacturing (lol)

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

If we can't build petrol cars I don't see why we'd be any better at building electric ones. Good thing we've got a big country we can dig up and sell.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Comstar posted:

as if anyone who believes in 'traditional marriage' gives a poo poo about black australian history

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

tithin posted:

No.

I work as a credit assessor via one of the big 4.

I do two or three applications a day and if a matter doesn't service, the customer doesn't get the loan.

We are actively discouraged from writing any loan that is marginal because explicitly the bank doesn't want weak loans on its book.

We verify income from customers by contacting employers and any evidence of fraud is used to knock back loans and to dis-credit lenders who represent their customer and remove them.

I understand where this thought process of yours comes from but it's flatly wrong.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-11/500b-dollars-of-liar-loans-in-australia-ubs/8892030?section=business

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Chinas battery production is already some of the best in the world LOL if they wouldnt just build the loving cars there too.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

DancingShade posted:

A lot of words written by a crazy person. Let me summarize:

"I had a bad experience so nobody should be allowed to have any experiences remotely similar in any way shape or form".

She's right though. Segregate all adults from any physical contact or they go to room 101. All mating may only occur under the watching presence of a tactical response squad with a K-9 unit.

The K-9 unit should be rabid, straining at it's chain and barking a lot.
Just a little more detail please. What colour is the dog, how many tactical response guys (etc.)

open24hours posted:

If we can't build petrol cars I don't see why we'd be any better at building electric ones. Good thing we've got a big country we can dig up and sell.
Rather than just say it's because you are a muppet. The sheer number of parts required to build an electric car is substantially lower than a fossil fuel powered one this means less of a scale for production which vastly reduces the overhead of any construction plant. The disparity in wages is significantly offset by the large scale use of automation. This is, again, facilitated by the construction being much simpler. Maybe if you read some of the links?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-12/chinas-move-to-ban-sale-of-non-electric-cars-a-tipping-point/8894746

quote:

China ban could boost Australian manufacturing

According to the body representing Australian car parts manufacturers, the ban is good news for Australia and could even see a revival of local car manufacturing. Even so, Federation of Automotive Parts Manufacturers executive director Geoff Gwilym acknowledged there were fewer parts to sell to make an electric car. "Currently those manufacturing operations make up more than 2.6 per cent of GDP in Australia, and it will still be around 2 per cent of GDP even when Toyota and Holden have finished their car-manufacturing operations," Mr Gwilym said. "I think we could enter an age where we manufacture cars again, because it becomes a simplified process to some degree. "Generally speaking, electric engines have got about 17 moving parts as opposed to hundreds of moving parts in either diesel or petrol engines." As the world is making more cars and as electric cars become easier to make, Mr Gwilym sees opportunity for Australia. "You are [competing with lower-wage markets like China], but automation will change a lot of that," he said. "You don't have a casting plant, you don't have a machining plant, you don't have a plant that has to make engines. "And if you attach to that different types of manufacturing technologies and robotics, then my view is that we will be able to make cars again."

Now the elephant in the room is, of course, that car manufacturing plants tend to go to the countries that subsidise them the most so I wouldn't see this as being universally good news for Australia.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Good news everyone!

The "yes" side on same-sex marriage is headed for a resounding victory with seven out of 10 definite voters backing a change to the law, a Fairfax/Ipsos poll has found.

Some 65 per cent of respondents rated themselves "certain" to take part in the voluntary postal survey, and of those 70 per cent said they would vote "yes".

Paracetamol
Jun 13, 2005
This space intentionally left blank

"Worryingly, 37 per cent of borrowers who got their loan through a broker and lied on the application said it was at the broker's suggestion — only 8 per cent of bank customers said it was a banker who suggested lying."

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Cartoon posted:

Rather than just say it's because you are a muppet. The sheer number of parts required to build an electric car is substantially lower than a fossil fuel powered one this means less of a scale for production which vastly reduces the overhead of any construction plant. The disparity in wages is significantly offset by the large scale use of automation. This is, again, facilitated by the construction being much simpler. Maybe if you read some of the links?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-12/chinas-move-to-ban-sale-of-non-electric-cars-a-tipping-point/8894746

Now the elephant in the room is, of course, that car manufacturing plants tend to go to the countries that subsidise them the most so I wouldn't see this as being universally good news for Australia.

Yeah this guy sounds like an impartial observer. The simplicity of making electric motors must be why we're such world leaders in other types of electrical manufacturing.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
First dog:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Synthbuttrange posted:

Good news everyone!

The "yes" side on same-sex marriage is headed for a resounding victory with seven out of 10 definite voters backing a change to the law, a Fairfax/Ipsos poll has found.

Some 65 per cent of respondents rated themselves "certain" to take part in the voluntary postal survey, and of those 70 per cent said they would vote "yes".

God I hope these polls are vaguely accurate.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Paracetamol posted:

"Worryingly, 37 per cent of borrowers who got their loan through a broker and lied on the application said it was at the broker's suggestion — only 8 per cent of bank customers said it was a banker who suggested lying."

As the wife of a former broker, this is because the bank reps often actively encourage brokers to encourage the lying.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
TBH even if the banks aren't KNOWINGLY giving money to people who can't afford it, they are absolutely doing their best to prop up the property farce as one of the chief profiteers of it. Developers, builders and speculators are the more obvious participants, but there is no way the bank execs aren't sitting there slowjacking over the price of a 3x1 in St Kilda right now.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

bandaid.friend posted:

as if anyone who believes in 'traditional marriage' gives a poo poo about black australian history

Mandatory Reminder: Since Jesus' time we've had ~1200 years of incest marriage being ok and ~800 years of it not being ok.

So "traditional" marriage includes incest :eng101:

Also things like child marriage, no divorces, ownership of spouses I mean heaps of bad poo poo.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

hooman posted:

Mandatory Reminder: Since Jesus' time we've had ~1200 years of incest marriage being ok and ~800 years of it not being ok.

So "traditional" marriage includes incest :eng101:

Also things like child marriage, no divorces, ownership of spouses I mean heaps of bad poo poo.

P.S. Same Sex Marriage was all fine and okay until John Howard realised this fact and had it changed in a single day back in 1997 or whenever.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

hooman posted:

This guy would like to have a word with your 800 years of it being not ok figure.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I tried to look up Indigenous marriage customs and like most pre-colonisation Indigenous history there's very little out there. If anyone knows of anything good on the topic please post it.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Sep 12, 2017

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Don Dongington posted:

P.S. Same Sex Marriage was all fine and okay until John Howard realised this fact and had it changed in a single day back in 1997 or whenever.

2004. When Massachusetts and other states legalised marriage equality, Howard panicked because he didn't want to have to recognise gay marriage over here.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

open24hours posted:

I tried to look up Indigenous marriage customs and like most pre-colonisation Indigenous history there's very little out there. If anyone knows of anything good on the topic please post it.

The only thing I can vaguely remember is that wife sharing wasn't uncommon around Sydney which led to a lot of forced prostitution after whities got involved. It also formed beginning of the belief that Aboriginals would die out due to not being sexually possessive enough to continue their line. Can't remember the reference that's from though, sorry.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The Before Times posted:

2004. When Massachusetts and other states legalised marriage equality, Howard panicked because he didn't want to have to recognise gay marriage over here.

Along with making bullshit quotes about how the idea of same sex marriage was a crazy new thing that had never occurred to anyone.

No, I'm sure there were plenty of people throughout history who would have liked it to be a thing, but they were probably a little preoccupied with the fact that their very existence as people was illegal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
loving anti vaxxer rally at Martin Place

• Locked thread