Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Pikal posted:

I posted in SA mart looking for a used macro and someone replied suggesting a 40mm pancake and expansion tubes. I was wondering if I could do this with my nifty fifty and what am I looking for in terms of the expansion tubes?

This would be a learning experience so I'm not looking to spend $500+ on a lens at this time. I'm using a Canon T3i and depending how this takes off may upgrade to a full frame body.

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions. If this is better in the gear thread I can repost there.

I have done this with my nifty-fifty on a 70D and it works fine. Mine were this set of 13, 21 and 31mm tubes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pikal
Jun 18, 2004

College Slice
Thanks jeez and Helen. I'm gonna look into both, I appreciate it. The extension tubes are sounding pretty good, especially the price tag.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

honey bee

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

Raikyn posted:

honey bee

Nice! That shot must have been a pain to get.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I just found out that Panasonic has new firmware for my camera that adds focus stacking to the post focus function. It's limited to 4k (8Mp) resolution, but still, that's pretty great. I haven't installed it yet but I'm looking forward to giving it a try. With that, I can keep the f-stop low and still get everything I want in the focal plane. It doesn't work on moving subjects because it uses the 4k video function, so it wouldn't have helped me with the army ants I was mostly failing at taking shots of on vacation, but plant parts, inanimate objects and stationary bugs should be perfect subjects.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Finger Prince posted:

I just found out that Panasonic has new firmware for my camera that adds focus stacking to the post focus function. It's limited to 4k (8Mp) resolution, but still, that's pretty great. I haven't installed it yet but I'm looking forward to giving it a try. With that, I can keep the f-stop low and still get everything I want in the focal plane. It doesn't work on moving subjects because it uses the 4k video function, so it wouldn't have helped me with the army ants I was mostly failing at taking shots of on vacation, but plant parts, inanimate objects and stationary bugs should be perfect subjects.
Wow, that an awesome feature.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Just received my Olympus 60mm macro today, liking it so far but it will take a lot of practice and patience.

Just out in the yard shooting and I am impressed
Dandelion by jarredsutherland, on Flickr

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Horseshoe crab embryo by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

Camponotus castaneus by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

July 06
by Spookygonk, on Flickr

Candy-stripe Spider or Comb-footed Spider (Enoplognatha ovata)

Spider came with a free tomato plant. Turns out I had left all my tripod gear at work so got this by balancing the D7000 and Tamron 90mm on a box, hitting 10 second timer and waving a LED torch about.

Pikal
Jun 18, 2004

College Slice
I picked up the extension tubes as recommended and have tried it out quite a few times. Thanks again to ugh whatever jeez and Helen Highwater for helping me out and the recommendations. I ended up picking up the Fotodiox suggested by Helen and have been loving it.

Butterfly by Pikal, on Flickr

Froggie by Pikal, on Flickr

IMG_3481 by Pikal, on Flickr

Puppy Nose by Pikal, on Flickr

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

Spider by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

Been getting into macros more recently. Trying out focus stacking and I'm fairly happy with how it came out.
looking to pick up some extension tubes and a macro rail shortly so I can get even closer.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

July 31
by Spookygonk, on Flickr

Nikon D7000, Tamron 90mm f/2.8 + LED head torch

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
https://flic.kr/p/WjbMu1

Nikon D3400 with Tamron AF 70-300mm and Raynox 250 macro lens..

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
Hiding from the rain inside pink rose flower

drowningidiot
Sep 27, 2014
Took this with my phone and an olloclip.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Lizards!

P1040555 (2) by King Dugga, on Flickr

P1040454 (2) by King Dugga, on Flickr

P1040346 (2) by King Dugga, on Flickr

A snake!

P1040706 (2) by King Dugga, on Flickr

A pretty flower!

P1040484 (2) by King Dugga, on Flickr

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

I feel quite pleased with this shot from the other day. It's a 3-image stack, but shot by hand, so I was very impressed by the automatic alignment and such actually cobbling together a coherent image. Needed a tiny bit of layer adjustment and cloning to fix a few hairs, but overall I don't think it's obviously altered.

:3:

Also, drat the Olympus 60mm is a convenient macro setup. I think the e-M5ii stabilization also performs much better than the Canon 100L for natural light shots too. 10/10 can fit legit macro setup in wife's purse.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

^^^I absolutely love that lens. I went out today and did some macro shooting in the bright morning light. I'm amazed that this one lens can be just as good at capturing elephants as it is capturing tiny insects and flowers.

P1040872 by King Dugga, on Flickr

P1040864 by King Dugga, on Flickr

P1040806 by King Dugga, on Flickr

P1040797 by King Dugga, on Flickr

P1040783 by King Dugga, on Flickr

P1040780 by King Dugga, on Flickr

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
Gitar by roland luijken, on Flickr

Played around with a guitar.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Bought the Canon 24mm pancake lens as a walkabout lens and noticed I had a reversing ring that fit the thread size...

Pretty fuckin happy with that turn of events.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Posting more macro in this dead gay thread

Crane Fly - Sigma 28-17 EX 2.8 on Extension tubes with Canon 430EX II mounted on camera
https://imgur.com/nqjC0SZ - Full size

Dung Fly - Sigma 28-17 EX 2.8 on Extension tubes with Canon 430EX II mounted on camera
https://imgur.com/0JMNrUX - Full size

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
Starting to delve into the strange world of microphotography, using microscope lenses. Normally I'd use focus stacking, but I figure maybe there's more to micro than stacking.

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat

DLP
by Alex M, on Flickr

From a while back. I'm looking at getting a DCR 150 so I can use my Tamron 17-50mm instead of the Canon kit lens.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

I've got bees in the backyard

bee by Marc, on Flickr

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
DSC_1658 Gimp_pe HT by roland luijken, on Flickr

Moody macro.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Thank you for your blood sacrifice.

Where were those critters? I've never seen a jumper with such a flat little pancake cephalothorax. :3:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I only got one shot of this guy before he skittered off. Didn't have time to monkey around with camera settings.

P1050621.jpg by King Dugga, on Flickr

This one was easier but getting her(?) against green a green background so she wouldn't be just a silhouette was awkward. And she's was a bit too big to fit in the focal plane.

P1050612.jpg by King Dugga, on Flickr

tiny flower ants

P1050281.jpg by King Dugga, on Flickr

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 21, 2017

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Alpenglow posted:

Thank you for your blood sacrifice.

Where were those critters? I've never seen a jumper with such a flat little pancake cephalothorax. :3:

Flat jumper species.
http://www.terrain.net.nz/friends-of-te-henui-group/spiders/jumping-spider-grey-holoplatys.html

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

More blood for the mosquito gods

Mosquito by Marc, on Flickr

Spider

Jumper by Marc, on Flickr

Raikyn fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jan 8, 2018

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I want to do a little macro photography again. I had a macro lens before but had to sell it due to it not being compatible with FF. So I have 2 cameras, a nifty fifty and a 70-200L. Couple of questions:

Extension tubes and reverse mount? Any suggestions to one that will work without causing my bank to break?
Same with grey card suggestions I guess? I need to get one because I'm tired of spending so much loving time in LR white balancing. And still getting it wrong.
You stack images for macro photography? Is that the norm or is just closing up the aperture and allowing for more DoF better? I've never stacked but I can learn.
What would be better, single lens reverse or attaching both lenses?

Thanks!

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

What do people do for cheap macro lighting? Is a small continuous LED panel fine, or do I need to stick with a strobe?

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

Myrmidongs posted:

What do people do for cheap macro lighting? Is a small continuous LED panel fine, or do I need to stick with a strobe?

Most ghetto - rig a cardboard tube from your built-in flash, add something to diffuse light to the front

Have a big flash? Rig a big diffuser to it.

Something fancier? Get flash bracket and extension cord to get flash closer to the front of the lens then make diffuser for it

Google image search for macro diffuser is goldmine of horrible contraptions people have made :D

loaf
Jan 25, 2004

2 days later:

loaf fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 5, 2018

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Insect sucking blood macro

Striped Mosquito by Marc, on Flickr

Insect with a face fill of food macro

mantis by Marc, on Flickr

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
I'm hoping to use a 50mm enlarger lens as 1:1 macro lens (actually my goal is to make a cheap slide scanner, but that's not important). Is there any way to figure out how much extension I'd need? It's a El-Nikkor 2.8 and a 6D, and I'm just going to pick up some combination of extension tubes and helicoids or bellows off ebay.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Goddamn, that's like some Beksinski poo poo

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Couple of shots with a reversed 28mm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loaf
Jan 25, 2004

20X green onion, oblique cross-polarized and diffused light: