Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
I've been trying to figure out why Estovakia seems so wimpy compared to previous AC 'bad guy' factions for a while now, and I think I finally figured out why.

It's because Estovakia is literally a one trick pony. The /only/ thing they have going for them is their super carrier. Supposedly they have Strigon Squadron too, but as we've seen, Team Rocket ain't exactly threatening. For comparison, let's look at the antagonists from the previous three games.

You have the double KO that was Stonehenge and Yellow Squadron hounding you from the start, plus Megalith as a final gently caress You in Ace Combat 4.

Ace Combat 5 has a whole SLEW of super weapons, from the Hrimfaxi/Scinfaxi, the weaponized Arcbird, the SOLG, not to mention those fuckers from the 9472nd messing with you at every turn.

And finally in Zero, we have countless badass squadrons, Excalibur, and the Seven Pillars that show that Belka is out of its god drat mind, plus Pixy in the Morgan, his gently caress off nuke, and A World Without Borders. And even after all that, you know from 5 that Belka is still going to be loving with the world even long after they are defeated as a nation...

By comparison, Estovakia is a paper tiger. Looks fierce, but crumples the instant you turn around and smack it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
I know I'm late to this thread and I've only watched the first video so far but already I have a lot of controversial opinions.

Opinion the first: This game has too many missiles but not enough missiles.

Opinion la deuxième: Strangereal is much more strange than it is real.

Opinion of the Angels: Some of these taxees should be skating by on various technicalities and many of these probations would not hold up in a court of law.

EDIT: Whoops, broke some tables with what was here. Amended:

"QPXPZPPGQPXPOQPZ PDQPZXZPAQPZPXPZPQNQPZPPXPXPCZZPXPXPZPQPEQPZ XPXPWQPZXPXPZPIQPZXPXPZPQPTQPZXPZPZPXPZPQPHPZP QXZTQPZPXPZPXHQPZXPXPZPQEZPXP PQPZXAXPPXPPNZPXPPXGXPPPXEZPXPPQPLZPXPPXQSZPXPPQ".replace(/Q|P|X|Z/g, "")

R28gRGFuY2Ugd2l0aCB0aGUgQW5nZWxz

SSBkb24ndCBkZXNlcnZlIHRvIGJlIHByb2JhdGVkLCBZT1UgZGVzZXJ2ZSB0byBiZSBwcm9iYXRlZCA6Y29sYmVydDo=

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Crow, I know this is early, but I already have a request for the bonus video: Kill Shamrock. I'm thinking the EML would be easiest and most satisfying, but it's up to you.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Will the nations of Strangereal ever run out of Belkan scientists to throw at each other, or is reaching peak Belka an impossibility?

bingsu
Aug 10, 2017

The Sandman posted:

Will the nations of Strangereal ever run out of Belkan scientists to throw at each other, or is reaching peak Belka an impossibility?

Peak Belka is an impossibility, but only because whenever you get close to running out of Belkans, more pop up in the weirdest of places.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Nobody understands the mechanism by which more Belkans are created, but we theorize that if we did, we could make a really nifty superweapon that could only be destroyed if an ace pilot managed to fly their plane down a long tunnel...

Sindai fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Sep 11, 2017

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Took you guys long enough to probate me :colbert:

Also peak Belka will probably involve making Strangereal itself the superweapon.

bingsu
Aug 10, 2017

Dreamsicle posted:

Took you guys long enough to probate me :colbert:

Also peak Belka will probably involve making Strangereal itself the superweapon.

TBH it'd probably be something like the Sun Crusher. Why have a superfighter that has magical ECM and mini-nukes when you can have a literally indestructible death kite with supernova missiles? Bastards will probably give it something to escape a black hole, too.

The Seven Pillars, except with exploding Cassiopeia. :black101:

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
Belka scientists attempt at trying to discover alternate realities resulted in Ace Combat: Assault Horizon, so the project was scrapped.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
Belkan scientists then went on to coin the phrase 'Go dance with the angels'. We all know how that turned out.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

thetruegentleman posted:

Technically, guns *have* been put in the nacelles before (admittedly, in WW2, and not gun pods), and that's got to be easier to build than Belka's laser plane with ECM and tungsten explosives.

:frogon:

Did any nacelle cannons ever work?

If they had, they'd have enabled a neat gun emplacement loading system. Attach cannons onto downsized engines, or retool a now-obsolete fokker fighter into a laser plane.

Realistically, only Bandai's annoying taste in overused 'new' internationally selected aircraft prevents old WWI equipment redesigns.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Last night, I danced with the angels and actually paid a serious price for my foolishness; couldn't shitpost during the Dallas Cowboys game.

This would normally be where I learn my lesson, and re-evaluate my life and priorities. Go dance with the angels.:madmax:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Tunicate posted:

If they had, they'd have enabled a neat gun emplacement loading system. Attach cannons onto downsized engines, or retool a now-obsolete fokker fighter into a laser plane.

Realistically, only Bandai's annoying taste in overused 'new' internationally selected aircraft prevents old WWI equipment redesigns.

I'm not sure what you're envisioning here, but mounting weapons in landing gear nacelles is just putting more stuff in an awkward place that doesn't need to be larger and more complicated and it's not really optimal for your gun system either, so it's really just a bad compromise. If you just mean external gunpods, sure, those exist. They make quite a few compromises over an internal gun, but they exist. But please, explain a bit further what you're talking about?

e: also gunpods were pretty hilarious in AC6/AH multiplayer, except they committed the cardinal sin of making it so your cannon button didn't ALSO fire your gunpods. You had to hold gun and missile buttons at the same time and that was :mediocre:

anyways, namco-bandai puts in modern planes because those sell. It's not like there's a huge market demand on top of the current AC market demand for a Fokker DR1 or Sopwith Camel with a laser (though, let's be honest, that'd be awesome) they're just mustache-twirlingly ignoring, nah. They want their games to sell, it's an intentional decision. I think the fact that we're getting an F-104 in AC7 is a minor miracle and I hope it goes over well enough to get more 50s/60s-era jets of all kinds in the franchise (again, in some cases) instead of late 70s-current like it's been in the last few games.

If you read that whole sentence as "give me a loving F-106" you're on target

Psion fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 11, 2017

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
belkans reproduce by spores released by the death explosion of every one of their super weapons. what was thought as a horrific nuke attack that killed 40000 belkans was actually a baby boom of sorts as the world got seeded by trillions of belkan spores.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Tunicate posted:

:frogon:

Gentlemen, have you ever asked yourselves, "I like the whole dropping bombs idea, but I don't want to hide in some candy rear end Flying Fortress formation. I don't want to shoot fighters attacking me, I want to blow them to pieces on my own terms! I don't want to drop bombs from high altitude, I want to see some loving explosions! I want get out there and BLOW. poo poo. UP."

"I say, ask no more. I say: GENTLEMEN! BEHOLD:"

"This is an airplane for men! Mainly men! Men who want even the radio operator to grab a gun and start blowing poo poo up! Men who want those mechanic pansies to stop fiddling with their tools and start loading some more goddamn ammunition!"

"Now yes, the engine isn't quite powerful enough to taxi to the runway, and yes, anyone trying to jump out of the plane before it breaks in half will probably get sliced into meat ribbons, but I say...I say..! Gentlemen, don't stand up, the presentation isn't finished yet! Where are you going!? Stop! Stop dammit! Tch, loving pansies."

"Always ends the same drat way. The Russians put loving bombs in their nacelle! Bombs! Why can't these fools see the future of warfare!?!"

"Someday, someday someone's gonna build a plane with a death ray! And it'll also shoot loving explosions! And people will have to shoot at it from the front because even BULLETS won't have the balls to hit it in the back! And everyone will say, 'oh, if only we listened to that guy, WE would have all the cool poo poo! But he's not around anymore, because all his planes were too expensive, or too unreliable, or too goddamn awesome...' *Sigh*"

"Someday. Someday..."

edit: So sick of links that work in the preview, than stop 5 minutes later.

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 11, 2017

WampaPartyEX
Jan 13, 2012
I went and beat Ace Combat Zero today because of this LP. Thank you for actually teaching me how to dance with the angels, you beautiful bastards. I'm about to move on to 04, and then finish up the Golden Trilogy. I'm also really tempted to go try 6, but the constant slew of ground combat just doesn't look nearly as fun as Zero's duels. Are there any dogfights as impressive as, like, the Round Table sequences (Ignoring "Zero" because I really can't imagine there's another plane-jousting sequence in the series) in any of the games you haven't gotten to yet, or missions in 6 you haven't gotten to yet? EDIT: to be clear I don't want like actual details about those missions, just "do any of the games/missions we haven't seen yet do dogfighting as well as Zero does?"

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Pe-8, nacelle turret
Tb-3 with the option of dropping fighters with bombs instead of just bombs
Ace Combat WW2 :colbert:

bingsu
Aug 10, 2017

Sword Hunter Gil posted:

I went and beat Ace Combat Zero today because of this LP. Thank you for actually teaching me how to dance with the angels, you beautiful bastards. I'm about to move on to 04, and then finish up the Golden Trilogy. I'm also really tempted to go try 6, but the constant slew of ground combat just doesn't look nearly as fun as Zero's duels. Are there any dogfights as impressive as, like, the Round Table sequences (Ignoring "Zero" because I really can't imagine there's another plane-jousting sequence in the series) in any of the games you haven't gotten to yet, or missions in 6 you haven't gotten to yet? EDIT: to be clear I don't want like actual details about those missions, just "do any of the games/missions we haven't seen yet do dogfighting as well as Zero does?"

One of the upcoming missions in 6 is great just for the amount of targets it throws at you. Probably the best mass-dogfight scenario in the series IMO. While you do have Allied Support, if you don't use it it's easily 5+ minutes of constant dogfighting as dozens of planes try to kill you.

WampaPartyEX
Jan 13, 2012

bingsu posted:

easily 5+ minutes of constant dogfighting as dozens of planes try to kill you.

That sounds fantastic and basically exactly what I want. I guess I'm going to have to push my way through 6 then.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
It's fast enough to get through. Skip cutscenes that don't involve planes, and then just don't think about the rest. The more I think about it, the more crow is depressingly on-target calling this "the dumb one."

Psion fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 11, 2017

bingsu
Aug 10, 2017

Sword Hunter Gil posted:

That sounds fantastic and basically exactly what I want. I guess I'm going to have to push my way through 6 then.
I have to append a disclaimer that I never actually timed the dogfight, so I don't know how long it actually takes. Sure felt like 5+ minutes, though.

Psion posted:

It's fast enough to get through. Skip cutscenes that don't involve planes, and then just don't think about the rest. The more I think about it, the more crow is depressingly on-target calling this "the dumb one."

Yeah, when I replay the campaign I just incessantly press Start to skip everything not related to gameplay. Which makes the first couple of minutes of the last mission freaking unbearable. I never want to hear that girl's voice ever again.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
So, this thread? Or rather, this series of threads? It's convinced me to stop lurking and finally get into SA. I've just finished catching up to Ace Combat 6 after binge-watching the rest of the series over the past few weeks.

I'd bought Ace Combat Assault Horizon a few months ago (clearly I hadn't paid close enough attention to this thread), and wow, was it awful to play. It's prettier than this, but quite clearly too much in love with its gimmicks.

Is this going to be a trend with Ace Combat? Gets prettier, story gets worse, gimmicks become more prevalent, and becomes less playable?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

painedforever posted:

So, this thread? Or rather, this series of threads? It's convinced me to stop lurking and finally get into SA. I've just finished catching up to Ace Combat 6 after binge-watching the rest of the series over the past few weeks.

I'd bought Ace Combat Assault Horizon a few months ago (clearly I hadn't paid close enough attention to this thread), and wow, was it awful to play. It's prettier than this, but quite clearly too much in love with its gimmicks.

Is this going to be a trend with Ace Combat? Gets prettier, story gets worse, gimmicks become more prevalent, and becomes less playable?

Welcome, brother (or sister, I'm not one to assume)!

As for the "Ace Combat Trendline" as it is, from all outward appearances Ace Combat 7 is on track to remedy a lot of that. The game is going back to the Golden Trilogy/6 roots in terms of gameplay and storytelling, by all outward appearances. The story for Skies Unknown is being helmed by the teams behind 5 and 04, and PA seems to have taken the lessons of Assault Horizon and Infinity to heart before they started in earnest on 7.

I have hope it's gonna be good, but even if the story is 6-level garbage, it will still be the best AC game of the last decade by default because the gameplay looks fantastic.

E: Also I'm sorry for your terrible, terrible reg date

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

It shows up as September 12 to me :shrug: unless :thejoke:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Dreamsicle posted:

It shows up as September 12 to me :shrug: unless :thejoke:

You in Europe?

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

You in Europe?

I actually live on the U.S East Coast. Probably just me being too lazy to ever set my timezone.

poo poo has it really been 4 years and I haven't done that? I guess I really did deserve that probation.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

nine-gear crow posted:

Welcome, brother (or sister, I'm not one to assume)!

Comrade is gender neutral. :ussr:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

painedforever posted:

So, this thread? Or rather, this series of threads? It's convinced me to stop lurking and finally get into SA.

:rip: friend, welcome to our collective anime jet plane nightmare

people here like dancing for some reason

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

That's... unfortunate. Should've been more careful. It's showing up as September 12th for me, too. Ah, time zones!

Well, if the angels are dancing, I'm rocking and rolling. Oh hell, have I gotten myself banned already? Motherf-....

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

painedforever posted:

That's... unfortunate. Should've been more careful. It's showing up as September 12th for me, too. Ah, time zones!

Well, if the angels are dancing, I'm rocking and rolling. Oh hell, have I gotten myself banned already? Motherf-....

I'll take this tax for my new comrade to preserve their clean slate.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

painedforever posted:

:byewhore:

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Crow, that is beneath you. That's some Sally poo poo right there

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MrLonghair posted:

Pe-8, nacelle turret
Tb-3 with the option of dropping fighters with bombs instead of just bombs
Ace Combat WW2 :colbert:

Great options, drat. Ain't no crazier extra weapons if they had TB-3 hulls enabled. Amazing.

:( Nobody's gonna ever let poo poo be as cool as recursive rocket aircraft...

Though, really am not denying official missions with optional robot drones someday.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Hey, I'm still alive! Mods must be asleep.

WW2 had the potential of being wackier than you'd imagine. For instance, the Mistel:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
There's so many ridiculous World War 2 superweapons of all types that an Ace Combat Gaiden set during the unnamed Belkan war of the 1940s in Strangereal would be an amazing game

bingsu
Aug 10, 2017

Minrad posted:

There's so many ridiculous World War 2 superweapons of all types that an Ace Combat Gaiden set during the unnamed Belkan war of the 1940s in Strangereal would be an amazing game

The Flying Flapjack would be an amazing plane to fly. Fighting an Me-262 in a Mustang or Spitfire would be a great boss fight. :allears:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I never knew I could be sold on a WWII Ace Combat before.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Shinjobi posted:

I never knew I could be sold on a WWII Ace Combat before.

There's an assault record in AC0 referencing how a Belkan ace was the son of another Belkan ace who flew in the 1940s, it's actually canon :getin:

Instead of a digital briefing interface, the whole briefing can be done on a squigglevision series of moving sketches on Belkan navigational charts and maps.

Minera fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Sep 12, 2017

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

painedforever posted:

Hey, I'm still alive! Mods must be asleep.

WW2 had the potential of being wackier than you'd imagine. For instance, the Mistel:

Not enough. We need some poo poo crazy My Tank Is Fight! concepts in here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VhenRa
Aug 1, 2016
Obviously one of the superweapons would be a Habakkuk carrier.

Seriously. Look it up!