Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I just listened to it on YouTube and yeesh, that is pretty bad. It's exactly the same as the original but worse which is about the most damning thing you can say about a cover song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

M1TCH3LL posted:

Watching the show from Germany last week, his voice is gone. It has a period recently where it sounded better, but he's ruined it now. However, despite his Dad-dancing and that weird jump-whilst-stiffly-flailing-an-arm thing he does, he does actually look like the gym is starting to pay off. His arms, particularly, are looking a little more defined. He's ten years too late for the Reznor fitness revolution, but there are worse people to look like than Glenn Danzig. And he looks like he has some energy and isn't slurring his words in a drug haze, so I'm excited to hear the new album. I just wish he'd drop the leather trousers (and wear something a little more flattering) and the baggy shirts, drop some upper body weight and maybe attempt yoga. Marilyn Manson doing yoga... I know. But if it keeps him alive and healthy for a little longer, I'll sacrifice my teenage memories...

I really don't know why this is, but I just feel bad for the guy. I guess the good part is that he's young enough to have escaped his life of drug bullshit while he's still got some time left. And, if his insides aren't completely destroyed by the past 20 years or so he could be perfectly fine if he just cuts out the bullshit and focuses on something besides nursing what is obviously a pretty serious handful of challenges with gross absinthe and coke.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Molestationary Store posted:

It's a Ministry cover, and not a very good one.
Oh lol, now I'm embarrassed not to have recognized it. I thought it was an intentional attempt at going back to the drum-machine-and-guitar sound of their early days.

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe
Seeing NINs latest concert just makes me even more sad for how hosed mansons vocals are.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Semi-amusingly, the Ministry cover is credited to Tyler Bates and "Marilyn Mason" in the Atomic Blonde closing credits.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Darthemed posted:

Semi-amusingly, the Ministry cover is credited to Tyler Bates and "Marilyn Mason" in the Atomic Blonde closing credits.

He's certainly fallen quite far from the days when he used to tour with The Nine Inch Nails.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Why have Manson even work up a cover of that song at all if it not going to vary from the original in the slightest?

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

listening to it again in some headphones on my walk home yesterday, it sounds like he did the vocals in one take from across the room

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

magiccarpet posted:

listening to it again in some headphones on my walk home yesterday, it sounds like he did the vocals in one take from across the room

So are we -sure- it isn't just the ministry version with manson's name on it?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
It sounds like horrible karaoke. Manson's singing has become extremely melodramatic and embarrassing.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

My Twitter Account posted:

Oh lol, now I'm embarrassed not to have recognized it. I thought it was an intentional attempt at going back to the drum-machine-and-guitar sound of their early days.

It's pretty funny that you compared it to Big Black considering Steve Albini loving hates industrial stuff.

Platypus Farm posted:

So are we -sure- it isn't just the ministry version with manson's name on it?

I'm pretty sure, I've listened to the original a LOT and this cover is missing a bunch of production touches/effects. They were seriously too lazy to emulate what somebody else did 30 years ago.:eng99:

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

song so bad

this song so good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxaPj19VnRA

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Molestationary Store posted:

It's pretty funny that you compared it to Big Black considering Steve Albini loving hates industrial stuff.

Does he? he produced some whitehouse records.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
He's produced a lot of stuff that he allegedly hates.

Badchay
Mar 22, 2015

Marilyn Manson - WE KNOW WHERE YOU loving LIVE (official audio)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmblT8_9-7U

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

TOOT BOOT posted:

I just listened to it on YouTube and yeesh, that is pretty bad. It's exactly the same as the original but worse which is about the most damning thing you can say about a cover song.

Yeah when I saw Atomic Blonde I thought it was a live version of the original, it sounds exactly the same but worse which makes me think Al Jourgensen or SST just didn't feel like coughing up the rights without a lot of money or something.

Darthemed posted:

He's produced a lot of stuff that he allegedly hates.

Steve Albini is the king of this. He produced that second Bush album right after famously calling Surfer Rosa "a pinched off loaf from a lovely college band" and having his name removed from the liner notes. What an rear end clown.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Badchay posted:

Marilyn Manson - WE KNOW WHERE YOU loving LIVE (official audio)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmblT8_9-7U

I dig this

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
RIP vocal melody.

Badchay
Mar 22, 2015

Millstone posted:

I dig this

It is very good indeed.

Deltron 3030
Jul 23, 2006

I submit that you took that baseball, stashed it in your unusually large vagina, and walked right on out of here!
New album drops October 6th, so at least I'll have a couple days to pound it before I see him in Columbus on the 8th.

Hard to dispute that he has lost some of his magic, but this'll be my first time seeing him so I'm quite pumped.

Not to sound like a baby, but how aggressive is the pit / moshing on recent tours? It was probably mayhem back in the day, but has his crowd mellowed out at all?

Badchay
Mar 22, 2015

Heaven Upside Down tracklist:

1. Revelation #12
2. Tattooed In Reverse
3. WE KNOW WHERE YOU loving LIVE
4. SAY10
5. KILL4ME
6. Saturnalia
7. JE$U$ CRI$I$
8. Blood Honey
9. Heaven Upside Down
10. Threats of Romance

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Badchay posted:

Heaven Upside Down tracklist:

4. SAY10
5. KILL4ME

7. JE$U$ CRI$I$

Hahaha. Manson's back, baby!!!

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

I really like the simplicity of the album cover:

Badchay
Mar 22, 2015

Nice! Apparently the track KILL4ME drops next week (Sep 20th)

http://www.allmusic.com/album/release/kill4me-mr0004790108

Je$u$ cri$i$ I say!

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

New song bad. Not at all surprising. Not holding my breath for the album.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Deltron 3030 posted:

New album drops October 6th, so at least I'll have a couple days to pound it before I see him in Columbus on the 8th.

Hard to dispute that he has lost some of his magic, but this'll be my first time seeing him so I'm quite pumped.

Not to sound like a baby, but how aggressive is the pit / moshing on recent tours? It was probably mayhem back in the day, but has his crowd mellowed out at all?

it 100% depends on how he is feeling. I went to a couple shows a few weeks apart back when he toured with the pumpkins, and on one date, he appeared to be sloshed as gently caress and didn't give a poo poo. He still played okay, sort of, but the crowd was dead. A different date was the exact opposite. He was really on fire, and the crowd was into it. Nothing at all like it was in the 90s but it was pretty hot.

BobbyHeenanTinyHat
Apr 1, 2005

Calling all girls of the opposite sex
N/A

BobbyHeenanTinyHat fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 27, 2018

BobbyHeenanTinyHat
Apr 1, 2005

N/A

BobbyHeenanTinyHat fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 27, 2018

Badchay
Mar 22, 2015

New song: KILL4ME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcfXzBVRTZ4 YouTube (available in US only?)

Spotify (requires registration)

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I'm a big fan of the synth line on the chorus of KILL4ME.

BobbyHeenanTinyHat
Apr 1, 2005

N/A

BobbyHeenanTinyHat fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 27, 2018

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

M1TCH3LL posted:

The album leaked during the week and it's... not as good as The Pale Emperor, as a complete album. It's not awful at all, but most are torn between whether the first half or the second half is better/poo poo. Personally, I'm with it until Saturnalia (which is the best song on the album but practically stolen from a Bauhaus song - as in, actually lifted entirely). Revelation 12 loses something from the live performance and some of the lyrics are downright offensive - not in the "oh wow he said that" way, more "oh wow, these are really loving bad". But it has its high points. Led with the wrong single though.

Like the five last albums then?
The Pale Emperor was unusual in that sense that it had less filler tracks.
Emperor is probably the best thing he made since Holy Wood and we know he have a hard time being consistently good.

BobbyHeenanTinyHat
Apr 1, 2005

N/A

BobbyHeenanTinyHat fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 27, 2018

Badchay
Mar 22, 2015

I'm really digging Heaven Upside Down. Wasn't a huge fan of Pale Emperor so I'm very pleasantly surprised.

M1TCH3LL posted:

. How the drugs messed his head up more than Trent and Twiggy, I'll never know.

Ironically Trent hasn't produced anything good since he quit doing drugs.

Badchay
Mar 22, 2015

I think HUD just has more of better tracks than TPE

"Killing Strangers" Great
"Deep Six" Great
"Third Day of a Seven Day Binge" Very good
"The Mephistopheles of Los Angeles" Good
"Warship My Wreck" – Amazing
"Slave Only Dreams to Be King" Meh
"The Devil Beneath My Feet" Meh
"Birds of Hell Awaiting" Meh
"Cupid Carries a Gun" Good
"Odds of Even" Meh

1. Revelation #12 - Great
2. Tattooed In Reverse - Great
3. WE KNOW WHERE YOU loving LIVE - Great
4. SAY10 - YOU SAY GOD, I SAY GREAT ALBUM
5. KILL4ME - Very good
6. Saturnalia - Good
7. JE$U$ CRI$I$ - Very good
8. Blood Honey - Amazing
9. Heaven Upside Down - Good
10. Threats of Romance - Meh

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

I didn't particularly enjoy TGAOG because the things that made the trilogy good wasn't present for me. It felt more like MM was done with being serious, which I can sort of understand.

I still believe EMDM is a good record, mostly since it broke with the past and was something new. It was the first record that didn't have Beautiful People as the release single which was something at least.

Badchay posted:

Yeah, With Teeth is the last NIN I actually enjoyed and was genuinely good throughout, although Ghosts was kinda nice as background music.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Badchay posted:

I think HUD just has more of better tracks than TPE

"Killing Strangers" Great
"Deep Six" Great
"Third Day of a Seven Day Binge" Very good
"The Mephistopheles of Los Angeles" Good
"Warship My Wreck" – Amazing
"Slave Only Dreams to Be King" Meh
"The Devil Beneath My Feet" Meh
"Birds of Hell Awaiting" Meh
"Cupid Carries a Gun" Good
"Odds of Even" Meh

1. Revelation #12 - Great
2. Tattooed In Reverse - Great
3. WE KNOW WHERE YOU loving LIVE - Great
4. SAY10 - YOU SAY GOD, I SAY GREAT ALBUM
5. KILL4ME - Very good
6. Saturnalia - Good
7. JE$U$ CRI$I$ - Very good
8. Blood Honey - Amazing
9. Heaven Upside Down - Good
10. Threats of Romance - Meh

How can you not like Devil beneath my Feet?
Just the refrain is great.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
EMDM is an important record for Manson to me as the thing is almost entirely a love letter to Evan Rachel Wood and thats just kind of strange thing for Manson's career up to that point. Feels very personal. You could argue GAOG was for Dita thematically but it didn't seem to be for her on a personal level.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I actually thing Golden Age of Grotesque is better than Holy Wood, and also the last good album Manson made IMO, though I haven't heard this one.

Badchay posted:

Year Zero is on par with The Fragile and TDS, Ghosts and Hesitation Marks are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
KILL4ME is aping some 80s song super hard but I'm drawing a blank on which exact one. I like it despite it having the normal Manson problem of having a tragically boring chorus.

• Locked thread