Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

There are no American 64GB cards, but the ones sold in the Asian room are prone to failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Wamdoodle posted:

Did you mean a higher fail rate? I've seen plenty of anecdotes about 64GB cards failing and those are only available in Japan. You can hack a Vita to use SD Micro cards I believe but I'm not familiar with the technique.

I've been using a 64gb memory card in my launch Vita for awhile now with zero issues on either end. Ya'll keep making me think I'm sitting on a ticking time bomb.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm sure some of that is also a person with a 64 gig card probably uses their device more.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Japanese 64GB cards are not as susceptible to failure, mine is still going strong.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Healbot posted:

Japanese 64GB cards are not as susceptible to failure, mine is still going strong.

Is there any kind of identifier on the memory card itself to tell where it was manufactured?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
My Japanese 64GB card did fail once out of nowhere after I hadn't used my Vita for a couple of months. :shrug:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

BisterdDave posted:

I've been using a 64gb memory card in my launch Vita for awhile now with zero issues on either end. Ya'll keep making me think I'm sitting on a ticking time bomb.

Healbot posted:

Anecdotal but my 64GB died. So that's 2 to 1.

^^^^^^Whoops. 2 for 2^^^^^^^

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Expensive, proprietary format with an apparently high failure rate. Good job Sony :thumbsup:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The Xbox 360 of Memory Cards.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

Saint Freak posted:

The Xbox 360 of Memory Cards.

I sometimes wonder why people still buy Microsoft consoles, what with the red ring of death last generation and the Xbone's entire announcement fiasco at E3.

E: not trying to start a console war or anything, just an observation. Also, I guess the launch PS3's did have that one problem with the amber light.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I bought an Xbone to play 360 games because it was more reliable than a 360.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Beelerzebub posted:

I sometimes wonder why people still buy Microsoft consoles, what with the red ring of death last generation and the Xbone's entire announcement fiasco at E3.

E: not trying to start a console war or anything, just an observation. Also, I guess the launch PS3's did have that one problem with the amber light.

My guess is established community. I didn't even consider an XBone because I have so much stuff already invested in the PSN platform that it didn't make sense to switch over.

e: Also, I guess first-party exclusives. That was a close second for me.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
In fairness, formatting it fixed the issue, but it was still really lovely and the fact that it failed out of nowhere despite not being in use is amazing.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Lemon-Lime posted:

In fairness, formatting it fixed the issue, but it was still really lovely and the fact that it failed out of nowhere despite not being in use is amazing.

I was going to try that as a last resort but by then the memory card hard froze the Vita whenever it tried to read it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Beelerzebub posted:

I sometimes wonder why people still buy Microsoft consoles,

Well generally, they don't

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Wamdoodle posted:

I was going to try that as a last resort but by then the memory card hard froze the Vita whenever it tried to read it.

Yeah, I just had corrupted sectors which prevented the Vita from properly reading the memory card's contents, which meant installed games and save data randomly going missing from reboot to reboot.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I dropped $87 on a 64 GB memory card.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Beelerzebub posted:

I dropped $87 on a 64 GB memory card.

Hopefully you were able to find it under all that cash lol

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

In Training posted:

Never leave the cave without it

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

In Training posted:

Unless it was all in singles, that's not very many bills, so hopefully it wasn't a problem.

I really appreciate this joke, BTW. Thanks.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I've always stuck with my basic, uh, 4 gb card (I think). It limits the number of games I can have at once on my system, sure, but I can transfer them to my PC when I'm done with them, and because my brain is broken, having fewer games to choose at any given time means I'm more likely to actually play them, unlike, say, my Steam library.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

Morpheus posted:

I've always stuck with my basic, uh, 4 gb card (I think). It limits the number of games I can have at once on my system, sure, but I can transfer them to my PC when I'm done with them, and because my brain is broken, having fewer games to choose at any given time means I'm more likely to actually play them, unlike, say, my Steam library.

I can't use my campus wifi on my vita, so this way I can just download all my games when I go home

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Beelerzebub posted:

I can't use my campus wifi on my vita, so this way I can just download all my games when I go home

Ah, lovely. I'm pretty certain that Starbucks wifi works though, if you are able to find one though uh that's less optimal, sitting there for a couple of hours hoping nothing happens to the connection.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I'm thinking of getting a Vita so I can play some ps4 games when my girlfriend wants to watch TV or whatever. Any recommendations? Is there just one model?

Nothing super serious -- maybe just some public events or strikes in Destiny 2 or Dragon Age

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Two models, since you probably won't find a 3g one and don't want to anyway. They're both fine, go for what's cheap, you'll probably end up being happier with a 16gb card unless you can get a pre-3.60 update model in which case there are third party adjustments and products to let you use microsd. Not that it matters much for remote play.
The benefit to the 2k model is that is uses a microusb charger, the benefit to the 1k (original) is that it has an OLED screen that a lot of people have opinions on but the correct opinion is that it looks really really good and the 2k's LCD screen only looks really good.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Liver Disaster posted:

Two models, since you probably won't find a 3g one and don't want to anyway. They're both fine, go for what's cheap, you'll probably end up being happier with a 16gb card unless you can get a pre-3.60 update model in which case there are third party adjustments and products to let you use microsd. Not that it matters much for remote play.
The benefit to the 2k model is that is uses a microusb charger, the benefit to the 1k (original) is that it has an OLED screen that a lot of people have opinions on but the correct opinion is that it looks really really good and the 2k's LCD screen only looks really good.

The OLED screen is really good. It's brightness setting also varies between "bright" and "fury of the daystar"

Highly recommend finding a 3.60 one.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I'm selling off my Vita. If I deactivate my PSN account on the device and hit system restore I should be good to go, right

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I'm selling off my Vita. If I deactivate my PSN account on the device and hit system restore I should be good to go, right

Yeah, I would assume so.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Xcom on vita is so painful. I love the game but technically it's not there. Slowdowns and freezes happen constantly, parts of the UI like health bars and movement radiuses will just disappear sometimes, buildings with multiple floors are more trouble than they should be since because the controls are so finnicky...

I know the pc & console versions were buggy at some point. Is the experience similar across the board?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It should run much, much better on PC at least.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What version firmware do you have? You should check and probably not update first if it's anything below 3.60 because it will be worth more to people who want to buy an easily hackable piece of hardware.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kikkoman posted:

Xcom on vita is so painful. I love the game but technically it's not there. Slowdowns and freezes happen constantly, parts of the UI like health bars and movement radiuses will just disappear sometimes, buildings with multiple floors are more trouble than they should be since because the controls are so finnicky...

I know the pc & console versions were buggy at some point. Is the experience similar across the board?

the vita version, much like borderlands before it, cannot possibly compare to how the game performs on an actual console, let alone pc

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Kikkoman posted:

The PS3 version is better in every way - barring portability, of course - and the PC version, with mods and actual running properly leaves the console version in the dust. Vita version is shame and actually playing it one can mostly see the potential that's just not realized.

Supposedly the tablet version also run very well, so that's something to consider.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The PS3 version still has that bug where the XCOM base assault mission may just refuse to load properly.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Glad I got xcom in that humble bundle pack if it's that low quality, not gonna cry too much since I paid the minimum for it and mainly wanted to try civrev2 (which was also another game I was curious about but not enough at full price).

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Stanos posted:

Glad I got xcom in that humble bundle pack if it's that low quality, not gonna cry too much since I paid the minimum for it and mainly wanted to try civrev2 (which was also another game I was curious about but not enough at full price).

You're in for a rude awakening

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Eh, I've spent 75 cents on worse. v:shobon:v

Like 10 bucks on trillion God of destruction. Or 5 bucks for Ray gigant. Or meiq. Man now that I think of it I've bought and been trolled by a decent amount of IF games. Makes me wonder about getting Mary Skelter but the reviews have been good on it...

Stanos fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 26, 2017

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

Stanos posted:

Eh, I've spent 75 cents on worse. v:shobon:v

Like 10 bucks on trillion God of destruction. Or 5 bucks for Ray gigant. Or meiq. Man now that I think of it I've bought and been trolled by a decent amount of IF games. Makes me wonder about getting Mary Skelter but the reviews have been good on it...

Mary Skelter is ok so far. I don't play a lot of dungeon crawlers so I might be doing a lot wrong but it has been really challenging at times for me. The only problem is that it has a lot higher ick factor than I knew about when I bought it. rub your blood all over these girls to cleanse their corruption eww

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Fru Fru posted:

Mary Skelter is ok so far. I don't play a lot of dungeon crawlers so I might be doing a lot wrong but it has been really challenging at times for me. The only problem is that it has a lot higher ick factor than I knew about when I bought it. rub your blood all over these girls to cleanse their corruption eww

You'll only have to do this once for each girl. You can cleanse without the cinematics thereafter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Szurumbur posted:

The PS3 version is better in every way - barring portability, of course - and the PC version, with mods and actual running properly leaves the console version in the dust. Vita version is shame and actually playing it one can mostly see the potential that's just not realized.

Supposedly the tablet version also run very well, so that's something to consider.

The tablet version does run very well even on older tablets, but it's like 3GB, and eats your battery like the Game Gear used to.

Also it's missing several maps.