Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Rick Rickshaw posted:

You can easily spend yourself down the same path.

I read it like this, and shook my head about how true (at any life stage) it is. I know people who have been financially responsible their whole lives and then get married or have that kid or get promoted or laid off or retire and don't adjust their levels of consumption and BOOM it goes quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I read it like this, and shook my head about how true (at any life stage) it is. I know people who have been financially responsible their whole lives and then get married or have that kid or get promoted or laid off or retire and don't adjust their levels of consumption and BOOM it goes quick.

Oh shoot, I meant he can easily send himself down the same path that I've taken given that he's got himself setup so well (good job prospects, low debt).

But yes, it would be even easier to give in to the shiny things.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.
I don't post much in BFC, but thanks to all these amazing goons, I hit a milestone and added a digit to my investment portfolio's value today. :toot: :toot: :toot:

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

It's been a stressful time but I managed to make a lateral move at work that gets me home everynight with my 10 month old.

As part of the move we sold our house in Utah and with the proceeds paid off our only car loan ($15k), a private loan we used to purchase a second rental property ($21k), moved to a cheaper cost of living area and still had enough left over to get some items of interest for the new house.

Now we just need to attack the credit card debt with the money we're saving from the other paid off loans and we should be sitting awfully pretty.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
We made a 4% lump sum principle payment on the mortgage knocking off PMI. :toot:

Also, I :toot:'d to a new job which starts in just under 2 weeks now for a ~19% raise, has no commute, and allegedly a better working environment.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Paid off the £1400 overdraft from my Master's degree, repaid a family member who made it possible for me to move to London, and just got a new job in a VR startup. No salary increase but I've managed to move from a humanities degree into technical prototyping and RnD, so I'm happy.

I'm now debt-free and feel a lot less like my life is going to fall apart if I screw up.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Purple Prince posted:

Paid off the £1400 overdraft from my Master's degree, repaid a family member who made it possible for me to move to London, and just got a new job in a VR startup. No salary increase but I've managed to move from a humanities degree into technical prototyping and RnD, so I'm happy.

I'm now debt-free and feel a lot less like my life is going to fall apart if I screw up.

Sounds like you got some great opportunities and it's paying off already. That's awesome.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Not the biggest achievement, but I just paid off one of my student loans, it only had ~$300 left on it, and I was going to pay it off next month on the first when I had the money budgeted for it, but I was getting antsy and just decided to pay it today. Two down, three to go, and under a $6000 balance total.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

BAE OF PIGS posted:

Not the biggest achievement, but I just paid off one of my student loans, it only had ~$300 left on it, and I was going to pay it off next month on the first when I had the money budgeted for it, but I was getting antsy and just decided to pay it today. Two down, three to go, and under a $6000 balance total.

Congratulations!!! Huge accomplishment, a loan down is a loan down, no matter how you slice it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

BAE OF PIGS posted:

Good stuff, I'm sure that frees up a bit of money to hit the other loans or apply to some other goals.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

BAE OF PIGS posted:

:toot: awesome! Enjoy that one fewer payment and paying off your other balance that much faster.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

About 4 years ago I moved from AK back to the lower 48. Doing so dropped my mortgage from $2286/mo to $925/mo (for a way nicer house). Plus everything else is also way cheaper (food, gas, insurance, etc). And I was making about the same amount of money. Boom, I'm rich!

I was not rich. But for 2.5 years I lived like I was.

So about 1.5 years ago I realized this (I actually realized it far sooner but refused to do anything about it) and that I was an enormous idiot and needed to fix this.

This started around March 2015 with a few hiccups along the way. But between March 2015 and March 2017 I cut my total (non mortgage) debt by over 50%. (recent spike was hoarding cash for the new house and also a lot of new house related purchases and get the old house ready to sell expenses).

But this week I sold my old house and used the leftover cash to pay everything down to 0 and also I finally have a nice amount of emergency funds and probably some leftover to invest somewhere.

The thing that really helped me was actually making this chart which I updated faithfully for 2.5 years. Both in that it helped me realize the scale of the problem and also every time I wanted to buy a $1200 camera lens or $800 graphics card I'd stop and think "That's gonna make my chart look lovely for the month and I will feel bad."

The chart includes various credit cards, a student loan, two car notes, and a personal loan.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
It's good to see that you managed to use the chart to maintain discipline. Even when your total debt went almost flat it must have helped keep spending under control. It looks like you're in a really good financial position now. :)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

scrubs season six posted:

About 4 years ago I moved from AK back to the lower 48. Doing so dropped my mortgage from $2286/mo to $925/mo (for a way nicer house). Plus everything else is also way cheaper (food, gas, insurance, etc). And I was making about the same amount of money. Boom, I'm rich!

I was not rich. But for 2.5 years I lived like I was.

So about 1.5 years ago I realized this (I actually realized it far sooner but refused to do anything about it) and that I was an enormous idiot and needed to fix this.

This started around March 2015 with a few hiccups along the way. But between March 2015 and March 2017 I cut my total (non mortgage) debt by over 50%. (recent spike was hoarding cash for the new house and also a lot of new house related purchases and get the old house ready to sell expenses).

But this week I sold my old house and used the leftover cash to pay everything down to 0 and also I finally have a nice amount of emergency funds and probably some leftover to invest somewhere.

The thing that really helped me was actually making this chart which I updated faithfully for 2.5 years. Both in that it helped me realize the scale of the problem and also every time I wanted to buy a $1200 camera lens or $800 graphics card I'd stop and think "That's gonna make my chart look lovely for the month and I will feel bad."

The chart includes various credit cards, a student loan, two car notes, and a personal loan.

Serious congrats, man. That's a lot of hard work!

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Congratulations on your new life free from debt!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Thanks everybody. I feel like I kind of cheated since ultimately the remaining debt got wiped out by the house sale but even if that hadn't happened I would have been down to 30% of the peak or so by now and possibly would have been down to zero by the end of the year (I usually get a decent EoY bonus that helps).

And I think for the first time since I first became a home owner in 2009, that bonus won't be entirely pre spent.

I make a good living but staring down the barrel of over 100k in non-mortgage debt was pretty sobering. I knew it was in that neighborhood but it became a lot more real when I actually added it all up and made the chart.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

I make a good living but staring down the barrel of over 100k in non-mortgage debt was pretty sobering.

Now take this number and make it $600,000.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Now take this number and make it $600,000.

I don't make a good enough living that anyone would have ever loaned me that much (non mortgage) money. :)

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Contribution, thanks to a juicy bonus for my wife, I just mailed in the full payoff amount for her last remaining interest generating student loan that isn't eligible to be forgiven under the (now admittedly shaky) PSLF program. Whatever happens with THAT debt will be sort of a "wait and see," but it feels good to get these other loans out of the way.

We do have another loan, but it generates 0% interest (essentially a grant requiring repayment) and will be paid off on the maximum possible schedule.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

The last red bar is this month's charged expenses to be paid in the grace period.

Not pictured: ~15 years of stupid irresponsibility, naïve life choices, untreated depression, and untreated alcoholism, in some order.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
I'm looking at just a few more months and I'll have all of my student loans paid off. ~55k principle plus (abusive) interest over almost ten years. I regret not being more judicious on how I approached my education, but ultimately am happy. I was not earning much money for the first six or seven years out of college (ski bum) but really got my rear end in gear after I hit thirty.

Pay additional principle and knock out your highest interest loans first. Get excited about knocking that poo poo out and it's fun how motivated you can get.

I'm gonna rip open a bottle of Andre once I pay it all off. Why Andre? Because I don't know what having a bunch of extra disposable income feels like. $4.89 is a solid price point for celebratory bubbly.

19 o'clock fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Sep 7, 2017

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

epenthesis posted:

The last red bar is this month's charged expenses to be paid in the grace period.

Not pictured: ~15 years of stupid irresponsibility, naïve life choices, untreated depression, and untreated alcoholism, in some order.

Well done. That's a good swing in that amount of time and any time you go neg to poz, it's a big deal. Unless you're like one of my idiot friends that started tracking it only because his parents paid for him to go to an expensive financial adviser and also paid his mortgage for 2 years. Then bragged about the change in his net worth. Then it's probably less of a big deal.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

19 o'clock posted:

I'm gonna rip open a bottle of Andre once I pay it all off. Why Andre? Because I don't know what having a bunch of extra disposable income feels like. $4.89 is a solid price point for celebratory bubbly.

drat straight. Andre is my go-to celebration drink!

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

Well done. That's a good swing in that amount of time and any time you go neg to poz, it's a big deal. Unless you're like one of my idiot friends that started tracking it only because his parents paid for him to go to an expensive financial adviser and also paid his mortgage for 2 years. Then bragged about the change in his net worth. Then it's probably less of a big deal.

I did this without a parental subsidy or a financial advisor, so thanks! I really was throwing away a loving fortune before I got it together.

I’m not yet at the point where I really trust the numbers, though. It doesn’t seem possible that I have this much freedom with my money, after so many years of plowing between a quarter and a third of my net into just paying for the fun I had in my twenties and thirties.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Nocheez posted:

drat straight. Andre is my go-to celebration drink!

key question which andre

I find the classic Brut to be the best, Cold Duck is pretty awful, and Blush is too sweet

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
You gotta live a little, taste the high life. Cook's Extra Dry is where it's at, though spendy at $6.50/bottle

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Brut, totally.

Cook's? Despite what I may tell girls at the bar, I'm not an international supermodel. We'll see what my Christmas bonus looks like...

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

We really honestly actually do splash the pot and get a bottle of Veuve for really special occasions but that's about as much as I can justify ever spending on a bottle of wine and it's, like, once a year.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

We really honestly actually do splash the pot and get a bottle of Veuve for really special occasions but that's about as much as I can justify ever spending on a bottle of wine and it's, like, once a year.

Unfortunately* one of my clients is deep in the heart of the Champagne region so I usually end up bringing back two ~20 euro bottles of very nice champagne from a small maison when I travel there. That is my wine extravagance.

*do not go to Champagne region in the winter or really any other time than summer/early fall

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
My first attempt at baking my own bread was a success. Does freeing yourself from the yoke of store-bought bread count as an incremental improvement?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

eighty-four merc posted:

My first attempt at baking my own bread was a success. Does freeing yourself from the yoke of store-bought bread count as an incremental improvement?

Definitely. If you make some nice apricot bread and eat it fresh from the oven.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Bread baking is awesome because it doesn't take much time and the ingredients are ludicrously cheap in bulk and the result is tastier. With sourdough you don't even need to buy yeast!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

key question which andre

I find the classic Brut to be the best, Cold Duck is pretty awful, and Blush is too sweet

19 o'clock posted:

Brut, totally.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I'm getting promoted tweets for Andre now and I blame this thread.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

overdesigned posted:

I'm getting promoted tweets for Andre now and I thank this thread.

FTFY.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
I meant to make this post last week, but it has been just about a year since I restarted following a budget and I can see a lot of success in it.

I should have my student debt completely wiped out sometime in the next year, hopefully early next year. I've also started putting a lot more money into retirement accounts and I have been able to cut down on my eating out. My gf moved in with me at the beginning of summer and that has cut down on rent/utilities and is helping us save for the long term.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Nice job man! Having a roommate is killer in keeping the expenses down.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

Nice! That's huge for one year.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

spwrozek posted:

Nice job man! Having a roommate is killer in keeping the expenses down.

My roommate/renter just told me he's buying a condo and moving out. It's been a good living arrangement over the last year. Gonna miss his dog and the cash flow, especially since I'm looking at getting my siding and windows replaced now. :(

SpelledBackwards fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

SpelledBackwards posted:

My roommate/renter just told me he's buying a condo and moving out. It's been a good living arrangement over the last year. Gonna miss his dog and the cash flow, especially since I'm looking at getting my siding and windows replaced now. :(

Time to get another one.

I would consider buying again to make this situation happen (other then people loving up my knives and pans). I rent with my GF now which is really nice.

My Ex bought me out of our house and moved back there recently and has 2 roommates. Her all in "rent" is $200 a month.