Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I still prefer this one to II, marginally. II was pretty much "hastily churned-out sequel that didn't understand the appeal of the original enough to supplement it or stand out in its own right" before that became an adventure game standard. As much as people tend to complain about certain puzzles in V, I maintain that they're all more sensible than bridle-snake, and the sheer ridiculousness of "there are just three doors in this screen that you have to open in order, and reading them makes random things happen that get you the keys" is beyond almost anything else in the series, at least until we get to VII. I'm not going to argue that V isn't pretty bad in a lot of ways, but I think "worst by a wide margin" is a gross exaggeration.

I also don't think it's possible to complete this game with fewer than the full 260 points. If it is, I'll be interested to see how.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

DoubleNegative posted:

: Ooooh t was the powerful and evil wizard Mordack who did it. Ooooh I just happened to be visiting with an oooold friend when I saw him materialize out of thin air. Thank goodness he didn't notice ME!
: Well don't stop now, go on!

Graham is gonna regret not telling Cedric to never open his mouth ever again.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
You can see in the intro that magical fruit does good work or Graham's been doing a lot of upper body days since recovering.

Cedric is loving awful and really, I think we'd all be fine if you didn't transcribe every single one of his stupid elongated vowels, but if you feel it's necessary I guess nobody can stop you :shepface:

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Psion posted:

Cedric is loving awful and really, I think we'd all be fine if you didn't transcribe every single one of his stupid elongated vowels, but if you feel it's necessary I guess nobody can stop you :shepface:

The pain must be shared.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
This was the first game I even played on a computer at home, and I have literally no memory of Cedric. Traumatic repression perhaps

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Oh my god, Cedric gives Graham the fingerguns :allears:

I'm all in for this trainwreck, let's go!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Cedric should :frogooooout:

I remember this game from another LP years ago. All those years and I can still hear Cedric's horrendous voice whenever Graham died.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
loving Cedric. I think it's close to ten or fifteen years since I last touched this game but I can still hear Cedric's voice in my head.

Someone bring the drill, I think I need some serious trepanning to fix this.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
"Ok, Cedric, let's go back to Daventry!"
"Oooooooooh Graham, why?"
"Well, I'm King. They might not have a palace, but they can still have a king. And anyway, is Mordack in Serenia?"
"Nooooo, we hoooope nooooot. Oooops, wrooooong ooooo. Sooooood it."
"Is there anything or anyone else in Serenia that can help with Mordack?"
"Noooo.."
"Then why would I hang around here instead of investigating where Mordack acted, and where I am THE FRICKING KING?"
"Oooooo.. I ran out of fairy dust."
"So when all of the royal family have been kidnapped, your great idea was to take the one remaining member of the royal family and isolate him miles away?"
"Oooommmmm.."
"You work for bloody Mordack don't you."

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Ah, King's Quest V. My first King's Quest game. The narrator (Art Lewicki, who's done King's Quest V, and.... nothing else, apparently?) is a little dull at some points, but he does a pretty decent job.

For everyone complaining about Cedric's voice acting, I'm going to give a bit of prophecy and warning here: Cedric is not the worst voice acting in KQ5. You'll know it when you hear it.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

there's honestly a lot worst: most of the voice actors are Sierra employees, VI on the other hand had professionals like Tony Jay, just Cedric's the one you hear the most often and has a really bad tic.

Pieuvre
Sep 19, 2010
I understand the Cedric hate, but also think his design is really cute. He's an owl with a vest! And a monocle!

Really, he should've been voiced by... I dunno, Morgan Freeman? He could probably pull off the wise owl thing well if he ditched the verbal tic.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl

DoubleNegative posted:

: Here's my old wand. I don't even know if it works anymore. Most of its power may be gone. You should know that wands are like pets. They've got to get to know you before they'll work for you. Just treat it with care and respect and hopefully it will do something for you.

Recall that Gwydion Alexander was able to get Monsoon's wand to work without an acclimation process.

headcanon - unlike bananaman's actual pet, his wand was a nice little wand at heart that disliked working for an evil wizard and was desperate for a friendly owner.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Pieuvre posted:

I understand the Cedric hate, but also think his design is really cute. He's an owl with a vest! And a monocle!

Really, he should've been voiced by... I dunno, Morgan Freeman? He could probably pull off the wise owl thing well if he ditched the verbal tic.

Well, if we're actually giving 1990 Sierra a budget and a clue for voice actors, I vote Malcolm McDowell.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
Oh I remember this game. I remember losing my temper and never finishing it because Cedric was so annoying.
At last, I can finally know how this game ends without going through the personal torment of Cedric! Thanks for that, and I'm sorry for your suffering.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

gegi posted:

headcanon - unlike bananaman's actual pet, his wand was a nice little wand at heart that disliked working for an evil wizard and was desperate for a friendly owner.

I hold the opinion that this wand is an older model before they patched out the moodiness out the subsequent wands.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Today I learned that Cedric's voice actor was the guy who wrote the old "I attack the Gazebo" D&D story.

Also he was lead programmer on Conquests of the Longbow, which I remember being pretty good.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Yeeesssssss....

YES!!!!!

Share the CEDRIC pain, in every terrible detail!!

SHARE IT!!

:getin:

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Explosions posted:

Today I learned that Cedric's voice actor was the guy who wrote the old "I attack the Gazebo" D&D story.

Also he was lead programmer on Conquests of the Longbow, which I remember being pretty good.

Yeah, as the case in those days most of the voice actors were employees. But neat trivia on the Gazebo story

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
"Loook OUT, GraHAM! A gaazebooooo!"

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

i'm the only person in the known universe who doesn't hate cedric's voice acting

i admit this openly; it is my burden to bear :( :hf: :cedric:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

someone awful. posted:

i'm the only person in the known universe who doesn't hate cedric's voice acting

i admit this openly; it is my burden to bear :( :hf: :cedric:

Nah, I don't hate his voice acting either really. I mean, I know it's not good but I have a fairly high tolerance. If anything I find it to be so-bad-it's-funny rather than anything else.

I do find amusement on how other's hate his voice though.

No, I hate him because he Will most of the time not give you warnings till AFTER you're hosed

Also, a :cedric: emote?

Oh yes :getin:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Explosions posted:

Speaking of, if you hadn't heard: Conquests of Camelot and Conquests of the Longbow are available on GOG for $6 each.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Ah yes, this game finally. The first one I played, and the one which my mom played where I could watch. I had access to all of her notes and maps so it was much easier for me than most people playing it for the first time. Cedric's voice wasn't much a bother and Graham's fit him perfectly to my mind.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

grandalt posted:

Graham's fit him perfectly to my mind.

Graham's voice was pretty good considering the guy is a programmer.

I was glad that he was cool enough to reprise the voice for the fan-remakes.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
This game was bad but I gave it a pass in my youth because it was just so beautiful. The art, music, everything looked and felt really advanced for the time. Around the time I was playing this, my other favorite game was the original Final Fantasy on the NES, and there's a pretty stark difference in the technology there. (Of course I didn't know that FFI was already three years old at the time.)

So yes, I loved this game because it was pretty. And the bullshit puzzles... well... those were nothing a quick call to the Sierra hint line couldn't fix! :shepicide:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

mauman posted:

Graham's voice was pretty good considering the guy is a programmer.

I was glad that he was cool enough to reprise the voice for the fan-remakes.

That got me thinking... are there any complete fan-remakes out there apart from the lovely AGDI ones? I saw a bunch of KQ4 remakes that started but died quickly, which was a shame.

Speaking of KQ4, I know that AGDI didn't remake because it wasn't financially viable, but I would have gladly paid for it if they had been allowed to do so. Please note that I am aware that they cannot sell an IP someone else owns for profit.

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Man, I adored KQ5 as a kid. This is entirely because I had the big old walkthrough/narrative retelling guide (sitting on the bookshelf next to me, as a matter of fact) and didn't even attempt solving the puzzles on my own. I look forward to this nostalgia bomb!

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Cedric also aside from his verbal tic - stresses the wrong syllables on some words to facilitate the psuedo-hooting. And I have to agree Graham's va is really drat good for someone that isn't a professional and working with subpar recording equipment.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So I guess whichever programmer they gave the Cedric hat to just kind of... took a bad idea and never stopped running because there was nobody to say stop?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

or Roberta Williams thought it was hilarious and you can't say no to the boss lady.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

JustJeff88 posted:

That got me thinking... are there any complete fan-remakes out there apart from the lovely AGDI ones? I saw a bunch of KQ4 remakes that started but died quickly, which was a shame.

Speaking of KQ4, I know that AGDI didn't remake because it wasn't financially viable, but I would have gladly paid for it if they had been allowed to do so. Please note that I am aware that they cannot sell an IP someone else owns for profit.

There is, in fact, still a KQ4 remake in the works by UnicornTales.

They were still putting out updates as of July this year, so I wouldn't call it dead yet, but I wouldn't hold your breath on it being done anytime soon.

Also, CrystalShard put out a remake of KQ3 before AGDI did, and many people regard it to be better since (while it doesn't look as pretty as AGDI's) didn't futz with the story all that much.

Outside of that I can't think of any other KQ remakes.

mauman fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Sep 12, 2017

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
So this is the only King's Quest game I ever played, though not very far past this point.
My parents picked up the CD version from a bargain bin for $5 or so around 1993-4, I grew up with the Mac and our concept of adventure games was defined by stuff like Myst so the whole affair felt kind of strange and primitive already by then. (In spite of the game having some very nice hand-painted backgrounds in hindsight.)
At a young and impressionable age my brother and I bounced pretty hard off of the beginning section of the game with Cedric talking so much in his annoying voice and the annoying town music, and never really bothering with the rest of the game. But I fondly recall that we would have a laugh every so often doing bad Cedric voices acting out some really poorly remembered version of the opening cutscene.
I'm not really a fan of the Sierra tradition of adventure games in general, and given the reputation the game seems to have here in the thread and seeing some of the silly bullshit deaths in the Retsupurae (?) playthrough, I'm not sure how much I am missing here.
The only other Sierra game we played was Castle of Dr. Brain, which we loved, possibly since it was an edutainment game and didn't come from the "try the old inventory, something's gotta work" school of puzzle design.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
I don't have a problem with Cedric. In fact, I used his name for my first character in every Dark Souls game. :v::hf::cedric: Although some might argue that's a proper punishment, given how people tend to fare while learning those games...

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

I first played this one with the 16 color floppy version, it looked like crap (at least it was better than the nes version) but I managed to dodge the voice 'acting'.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

DoubleNegative posted:

: Ooooh t was

quote:

: Hmmmm. It might work. Here, eat this.
That's... quite the arm you got there, Graham.

Gonna echo idon'tlikepeas' opinion - KQ5 is bad, but not nearly as bad as 2.

Also, it's a shame that the voice version doesn't have an option to have voice AND text. The option was there for later titles, but I think it's fairly obvious it's good to have both even if this is the first voiced game your company produced.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Xander77 posted:

Also, it's a shame that the voice version doesn't have an option to have voice AND text. The option was there for later titles, but I think it's fairly obvious it's good to have both even if this is the first voiced game your company produced.

IIRC you could have both in 6, but it was voice-only in 7.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

i like cedric

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
So if we're in Serenia, does that mean King's Quest takes place in the same world as Wizard and the Princess (from back when Sierra was doing text adventures)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
According to Wikipedia, yes, it does.

And the geography between the two games is different because The Wizard did it.

"There is a scorpion behind the rock."

• Locked thread