Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

PathAsc posted:

No, there's an exotic that is the fastest summon and it looks like sex and the flame trail is like banging a hot mom.

There's also a legendary with the zero summon time, but without the bangin flame trail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Norns posted:

God dammit this game is going to get me to install discord because it's good and I should stop soloing.

I apologize in advance to any goon who groups with me as I am horrible at FPS.

I'm tremendously garbo and was able to get through the NF with two goons last night, you'll be fine. Everyone I've played with so far has been really nice too.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Metro Shift all day errday

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Javes posted:

Granted, it's a change that offered no benefit to the player and was only made to further their monetization strategy.

Nah, getting an extra 3-4 copies of a good shader from a raid is at least potentially useful, whereas a duplicate Chatterwhite in D1 is useless. Monetization was a part of the conversation (no matter what Luke claims) but there is at least one other side effect.

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro
Tbh the monetisation seems like rebellion against activision who no doubt demanded it be in the game in some sort. Who the gently caress in their right mind would pay for cosmetic engrams when the game shits them out every half hour

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I got an exotic sparrow with "increased speed while airborne" which seems pretty useless. Really hoping for that instant summon speed one at some point, I'd never use anything else.

But I did shade it so that it looks like a giant, glaringly bright oil spill, until I can find an even more garish color.

Linx posted:

Tbh the monetisation seems like rebellion against activision who no doubt demanded it be in the game in some sort. Who the gently caress in their right mind would pay for cosmetic engrams when the game shits them out every half hour

Based on the announcements you see while standing around in the tower, a lot of people.

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

Linx posted:

So. Many. People.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
that is an extremely charitable reading of the monetization

Braggo
Jul 26, 2005

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro
[quote="“ReverendDre”" post="“476322564”"]
So. Many. People.
[/quote]

Dumb cunts.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like how they rigged the bright engrams to force you to visit the eververse store regularly. It's the gas station strategy, get you in for something you need and try to convince you that you also need a coke and a candy bar!

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

Linx posted:

Dumb cunts.

Indeed they are! Most p2w apps survive on 1000 whales.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Linx posted:

Is easy to me to think about things that would push people to pay:

Gold shader for metallic parts, gray for everything else.
Superblack shader. (not really fully black, but very dark )
Sparkles of the traveler shader (spawn floating sparkles around the player)
Fire sparkles demonic shader (spawn evil sparks around the player)

They just have to make very good appealing shaders that are only available here or are very rare drops.

I don't care about the shadersgate. Is a bad thing, and a sliding slope, but I can only care soo much about things like this.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Javes posted:

It really is an overblown controversy. Granted, it's a change that offered no benefit to the player and was only made to further their monetization strategy.

Actually it's a really good pro-community change that has plenty of player benefits.

Think back to RoI. They loosened the loot drops for the final D1 raid which was good because it was easy to gear up with the actual equipment. The problem is, once everyone got their stuff it really depressed the active raid playerbase.

What I think they are going for here, and has since been confirmed by the devs, is one use shaders are a purely cosmetic drop resource that will encourage the die hard people to continue raiding and participating in activities but not mess with functional equipment drop rates.

On top of that it's extremely pro to be able to individually slot shaders, and this is part of ensuring their scarcity.

Finally they can monetize some unique ones to capture a new fairly benign revenue stream.

Overall it's an extremely good system and people who complain about it are mongoloids.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Why can't I have a comedy car horn on my Sparrow anymore, you done hosed up Bungie.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Linx posted:

*pointz to dilznik*

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Your post-20 levels for bright engrams are still on an exp curve that is steadily increasing, but you can just make more characters :shrug:

Nightfall this time was tremendously easy and I encourage everybody go and do rat king crew now.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Judge Tesla posted:

Why can't I have a comedy car horn on my Sparrow anymore, you done hosed up Bungie.

As a fairly involved member of the elite SRL community I would say to not worry about that and just bide your time.

KillTylerDurden
May 15, 2004
I watched Fight Club one too many times.
My favorite part about the monetization meltdown is that it was over shaders and not the XP item that makes the game puke exotics at you.

Also, Bungie help is calling this scheduled maintenance, like they "scheduled" it just before 2am local time to take place 5 hours later.

Also also, this hotfix might be related to The following:

Bungo posted:

Hello all,

We are actively investigating an issue impacting the Nightfall Prism modifier where the currently featured element is not persisting on screen as is intended. In the course of this investigation, we have discovered a more severe issue impacting next week’s modifier, Momentum.

To prevent the issues impacting Momentum from impacting players, next week’s Nightfall will feature the Prism modifier once more.

We are seeking to address these issues in a future Hotfix. Stay tuned to @BungieHelp on twitter for updates.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
the idea that a raid community would continue to be active solely because they want to get shaders is loving laughable, do you people even think before you spit this poo poo out?

the way to keep raids relevant in any appreciable capacity is to make them continue dropping relevant loot, not give you a consumable shader that turns a piece of armor loving white.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Emalde posted:

Your post-20 levels for bright engrams are still on an exp curve that is steadily increasing, but you can just make more characters :shrug:

Nightfall this time was tremendously easy and I encourage everybody go and do rat king crew now.

What type of ..herrr.... heavy weapon do you recomend for the endboss?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Tei posted:

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

*pointz to dilznik*

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Emalde posted:

Isn't it a flat amount every level, like the first game

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
anecdotally, i don't think i'm getting them as often, but i'm also not sitting down for six hours at a time or whatever to play.

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro
That’s what I had assumed

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Tei posted:

One of each element is the safe way to account for all contingencies, but if you can sync a cycle of arc supers followed by solar heavies you'll gently caress poo poo up

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

anecdotally, i don't think i'm getting them as often, but i'm also not sitting down for six hours at a time or whatever to play.

There is a temporary buff that grants 3X experience for the first 3 levels/bright engrams each week. There's also the XP boost items that someone in your fireteam may have used without telling you (I don't know if it still pops the "WeekGoku420 gave xXxN00bSt0mperxXx a reputation boost" messages).

haveblue fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 12, 2017

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Emalde posted:

I'm pretty sure this isn't true. It wasn't like this in D1, and I don't notice new engrams taking any longer to earn than the last, either. If there is a curve its extremely slight. Same thing with faction rep, except in D1 it actually did get harder and harder to level while in D2 it will take the same number of rep hand-ins every single time.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Javes posted:

It really is an overblown controversy. Granted, it's a change that offered no benefit to the player and was only made to further their monetization strategy.

I don't really have a problem with them funding DLCs and whatnot by taking money from whales. It's pretty nonobtrusive, and I've had more fun playing pretty spacewizard princess when I have to pick and choose some. Necessity is the mother of inventiontruly garish patterns.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

the idea that a raid community would continue to be active solely because they want to get shaders is loving laughable, do you people even think before you spit this poo poo out?

the way to keep raids relevant in any appreciable capacity is to make them continue dropping relevant loot, not give you a consumable shader that turns a piece of armor loving white.

He said, three titansly

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Are the servers down? I can't login on ps4. :(

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

I don't think you understand PvE players

Anyway, how do you make them keep dropping relevant loot but also make them feel rewarding and not like they are keeping poo poo from you? I'll wait.

(The answer is high drop rates for functional poo poo, drip drops of cosmetics or fine-tuning stuff. They tried this in wotm with rerolling stats via siva cache keys but it was too easy to get them and that's not an option anymore)

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
They also tried it in KF with plentiful armor drops but having a busted rear end lame infusion process and people ducking hated it

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

keyframe posted:

Are the servers down? I can't login on ps4. :(

Maintenance for another 2 hours if there's no delays.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I loving love the shader system I have way too many and that's exactly how it should be

I look like a dirty space hobo but at least my guns are shiny as gently caress, as is my SWEET rear end PEARL SHIP

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Waffle House posted:

I loving love the shader system I have way too many and that's exactly how it should be

I look like a dirty space hobo but at least my guns are shiny as gently caress, as is my SWEET rear end PEARL SHIP

Yeah I thought it was going to be terrible but the game gave me as many of my favorite shaders as I could ever possibly need so I guess it's fine.

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

I don't think about my hands too much. Just trying to hit the ball in the air. Hit the ball in the air!

Tei posted:

For whatever reason, they made the conscious decision to make a lot of the visual identity of the game generic corporation flags and generic art style. And I don't like it a bit.

The Last City is infested by that, and all the Daito Corporation emblems. It steals personality to the game.

Many emblems look like somebody invented a compression format that poo poo on color ranges even more than JPG, and then applied recursively all night to the same color pattern.

It was a problem in Destiny 1, and it got fixed with the Raid emblems, that had something for it, and used actual nice colors and colors with good contrast.

The Kek armour is just a page from the same book. If anything it looks like that soccer (or was canadian ice footbal?) team colors.

That it match the keke guys is just a "happy" accident and they deserve the mistake for using these horrible boring emblems / color patterns.
I have read somewhere that the artist that created these sort of emblems is quite good and the in-game version has colour palette wasted by some shader thing, but I don't believe it.

Then maybe make sense to make the average emblem you loot boring, so you are excited when you get a actual fun one. But still.

TL;DR:

Give us a black shader. pls.

No, thats not the kek flag. You are victim of some version of paredolia because the art is soo generic that it enabled it to happen.

Your brain is programmed to see faces, not alt right imagery. It's not a coincidence.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

DrNutt posted:

Yeah I thought it was going to be terrible but the game gave me as many of my favorite shaders as I could ever possibly need so I guess it's fine.

Every shader I even remotely like are in bright engrams, and even I'm not having much of an issue with them. Granted, I'm only using shaders on sparrows and ships right now, since most of my other gear is still disposable until the raid, but I do have enough that if I was happy with my current setup I could shade myself out if I wanted to. It sucks that you can't swap shaders around willy-nilly anymore, but I'd much rather have the option to mix and match anyway.

KillTylerDurden
May 15, 2004
I watched Fight Club one too many times.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Luke Smith posted:

With D2, we want statements like "I want to run the Raid, Trials, or go back to Titan to get more of its Shader" to be possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Ok, I put in a good 8 hours straight and beat the story. Some stuff was really reminiscent of Halo's campaigns and jeeez this game is pretty! Can't wait for the Xbox One X 😳

Now what?